Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2005, 00:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
about the ABS i noticed that the ABS is linked with front discs and rear drums ..so i dbout it is going to efficiently enhance the braking power...
erm...not exactly sure what you meant by that; ABS is always "linked" to all four wheels via sensors, etc. in the hydraulic ckts; although the front has sensors at the differential too...

ABS is generally pretty effective, and is a very useful feature; even the more experienced drivers appreciate it's utility (veterans hate it though; i've heard some racers say that ABS is for sissies who don't know how to drive) .

the main advantages of ABS include braking control under all situations, and less riskier braking in wet conditions, etc. but the best advantage is that it gives us steering control WHILE braking (meaning you can steer the car even while the car is decelerating). so you see, it's pretty useful under all circumstances, especially while ripping....

so, ABS is a must nowadays...i would suggest you to go in for vxi w/ABS, or ZXi.

and yes, i agree with all on maruti's marketing; pretty lousy, i must say. i saw a maruti salesman dissuading a customer from purchasing a swift, myself- on asking, he justified his statements thus; according to him, the dealers are facing a supply constraint, and customers are getting unhappy; therefore, they are trying to turn people away from purchasing the swift, for the time being...

i was like.."hunh..??!!"
Old 10th November 2005, 03:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

with ABS and airbags Swift certainly is a ..........Yes
palio sport 1.6 follows with superb built and 1.6 engine.

forget the rest of the pack
Old 10th November 2005, 11:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
SWIFT - Yes/No ???
Yes, Yes and Yes!

Quote:
My question to the swift owners is that I've been hearing plenty of negative reviews about this car, if thats the case could all of u post ur ownership experiences but just keep it to the technical side of it.
Can't post the entire ownership experience since my car is new. I had purchased the swift one month before the Baleno i.e in July beginning. I have also not driven the car too much. (Baleno is the one which is clocking serious km's on the odo)

I can only say that:

Please do not go by what people say - ask owners only. Don't trust the Maruti Dealer. When i had gone to purchase the Baleno i just casually(deliberately) asked about the swift. The salesman criticized the car saying that it does not perform well coz of it's heavy weight and it's also 1-2 Kmpl less FE than even a Baleno.

All this is a load of crap. Here's what i think:

Performance- Overall the car rocks! The 0-60 is a little slow coz of the inertia related to the mass. But after that the car comes into it's own! ( I am obviously not comparing it to the Baleno).The swift probably has one of the most stable chassis around ( it would be great for more models on the same platfrom). SO you don't feel the acceleration at all- bcoz of which people have a tendency to think that swift is not a scorching performer.Also it's sufficiently powered to beat the other B+ segmant cars in a flat race.

FE- It's got good FE. Less than an Esteem Mpfi but good otherwise. 12-13 in city and once 17+ on the highway.

The +ives of Swift:

1)I love the looks
2)It's got great front seat driving position. The seating (height etc) ,access to controls and driver ergonomics at the front are almost PERFECT! (Even better than the Baleno).
3)Very good for Long journeys bcoz the car is very stable and you don't feel the acceleration. So you can expect to be fresh after a long highway trek!
4)FE is good too.
5)The ride is great especially compared to other cars in the b+ segmant and even the low end C segmant.

The -ives:

1) Back seat claustrophobia - coz of short window size and all.
2) Small boot.
3) Small niggling problems like door rattles(for some cars- which are rectified easily during the service and should not be a problem for the newer models).

Just go for the Car it's great VFM. I don't think any B+ segmant car compares with it.

Quote:
We have a red Swift Zxi and i guess it came in the initial lot too. While engaging the reverse gear, there is a slight noise which again has been discussed on this forum to be one of the problems that ppl face in all naruti models ( non swift also). Its not a problem as you can engage athe first gear fully and then engage the reverse gear and the sound vanishes.
This is a standard for all Maruti Mpfi cars. It seems more pronounced in the Swift than let's say the Baleno.It happens at times when the car is at rest and you crank the engine and try to reverse immediately. The simple solution is to engage the first gear( or any other gear except the reverse) and then the reverse engages like a piece of cake. I don't think that's much of a problem it hardly takes an extra second.

BTW the swift gearbox takes a little time to get used to. It's good no doubt but a little different from the other Maruti's. So i had some difficulty initially when trying to race with friends and was engaging gears rapidly while flooring the pedal.

Last edited by imjimmy : 10th November 2005 at 11:34.
Old 10th November 2005, 11:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
Please do not go by what people say - ask owners only.
It's only a small percentage of people will talk about -ve of his/her own car. We need to slowly get the -ve out from their mouth

I own one & love the Swift ride very much. Could not strongly recommend as I have not driven other cars extensively, so no idea about the performance of other cars. I don't have any specific problems with my car.

It is alleged that one of the reasons for rattling noise is improper fitment of speakers & central locking. Though not sure about it
Old 10th November 2005, 12:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
It's only a small percentage of people will talk about -ve of his/her own car. We need to slowly get the -ve out from their mouth
Spot on! You stole words from my mouth. Most of the car owners are heavily biased towards their cars. (Mostly +ve bias, unless someone gets a lemon, in which case it is heavily -ve bias).
Old 10th November 2005, 14:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise

I own one & love the Swift ride very much. Could not strongly recommend as I have not driven other cars extensively, so no idea about the performance of other cars. I don't have any specific problems with my car.

It is alleged that one of the reasons for rattling noise is improper fitment of speakers & central locking. Though not sure about it

Thats a confusing statement dude..only a handful owners have responded and you have quoted small percentage meaning the negatives have not come out at all. You are also included . It may be true to an extent that ppl do get possessive/obsessive and hide the negatives. The views expressed by most of the owners here doesnt look like there is a Bias hiding the negatives cos they are active members.

In a broad sense it makes sense but at this point for this thread...NO

If someone is an active member here, by this time He/ She would have got a fair idea of the Car and the + and - points also.
Old 25th November 2005, 04:36   #22
BHPian

Today I had called a swift to my house for a demo drive.
The sales guy who got it was all praise for it, but as soon as I mentioned the Baleno as my other option, he started coming out with -ve points for the swift like the poor FE and long waiting period.
He desperately tried to encourage me to go in for the baleno, citing the 50k dealer discount, more power etc.
I was quite taken aback.

After some logical thinking I'm of the opinion that these Maruti guys do not get much incentives for selling a swift as the bookings are already more than what the company can handle.
On the contrary, they must be getting a fat commission for selling slower moving (and more expensive) cars like the Baleno.

Just my thoughts . . . .
Old 25th November 2005, 09:11   #23
BHPian

hey bike freak
they think that anyway swift has buyers. so they want the other cars in the garage to keep going too dont worry go for the swift
Old 25th November 2005, 16:26   #24
BHPian

hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak
Today I had called a swift to my house for a demo drive.
The sales guy who got it was all praise for it, but as soon as I mentioned the Baleno as my other option, he started coming out with -ve points for the swift like the poor FE and long waiting period.
He desperately tried to encourage me to go in for the baleno, citing the 50k dealer discount, more power etc.
I was quite taken aback.

After some logical thinking I'm of the opinion that these Maruti guys do not get much incentives for selling a swift as the bookings are already more than what the company can handle.
On the contrary, they must be getting a fat commission for selling slower moving (and more expensive) cars like the Baleno.

Just my thoughts . . . .
Any Maruti dealer would go head-over heels to impress you when you tell them that you intend to buy a Baleno, the reasons being

a) Baleno is the black sheep of the Maruti family with highly sluggish sales.
b) The dealer margin for the Baleno is huge, so are the incentives. Swift is defintely not helping them in that regard, they thrive only on volumes to do the trick for them.
The rumours on FE are a big misconception, drive the car and make ur decision.
Old 25th November 2005, 17:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey

Just an off topic thing but man pls buy any car but get ABS with it. I know what happens when your car does not have ABS. My experience is very bad in this. Now without ABS i can;t even think of driving fast. I had a zen which i desposed of while i knocked it onto a railing. This happened when i was chansing a Getz guy who broke my car side mirror. If i had a ABS a that time then i would be having my zen here wiht me.. but bad luck to me :( and i wish i get a new car with abs and kik that Getz guy az....

So plz get ABS no matte which car you buy....
Old 25th November 2005, 22:34   #26
Team-BHP Support

I have bitten the bullet and booked a Swift zxi - due in a month though i'll take it in Jan - more of a tax reduction exercise. Thought of the Fusion but my wife thinks ford's are a load of trouble based on her friends experience
Old 26th November 2005, 00:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
more of a tax reduction exercise.
Off Topic, i thought these were negated by FBT.

Now Swift ZXi's are available off the shelf from RNS, blore.
5.6 on the road. Man i am tempted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks