Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2011, 10:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: i10, Micra, Ritz or the Beat?

in continuation to the subject of choosing between the given hatchbacks, i am also looking to replace my Old Wagon R with a diesel hatchback, this will be my first stint with a diesel car, probables are Beat, Micra and swift.
Swift is the unanimous winner but looking at the long waiting queue and new model coming in, cannot wait that long
Which one to hold between Beat or Micra, Beat looking to be a more cost conscious decision so far but micra is new in its segment,
Old 31st July 2011, 11:58   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
basilmabraham, wonderful decision. I10 is a wonderful car. Did you ask the dealer is there is any faceligt expected from Hyundai for the i10?

Some questions: - How did you find the beige dash reflection onto the windscreen? was it a deterent for you?
Nowadays there is no reflection of the dash on the front glass since they have changed the colour of the dash to dark brown.

All the best on your choice. Be careful while giving it for service as I was ripped in one of the paid service at the authorised service centre at Mumbai.
Old 31st July 2011, 12:49   #48
BHPian

Yes, the beige reflection was a major turn off for me, but a friend of mine has the sports model, and it looks and feels great. The i10 is a very good car, otherwise, so if they have changed the dash, then it's definitely a great choice.

Why not the Figo, by the way? You not even considering it? The diesel Figo truly rocks.
Old 31st July 2011, 13:12   #49
BHPian

Been a while since the thread was updated by me. Sorry for the delayed update.

The i10 rocks. I used it for few months until Dec 2010. Bought a Fiesta TDCi SXi in Dec 2010 for my personal use. So the i10 is now purely parents drive.

Dad is enjoying the i10, he was skeptical about going outside the Maruti family. But the little Hyundai has surprised him and he is a happy man. 2nd service done. No niggles what so ever. Giving a mileage of around 12, never really checked. For me as long as parents are happy taking it around Cochin city and occasional trips to native, I am a happy customer.

For all those looking to buy the i10, with the added features in the Kappa2, I think this is the car to buy. Everything about the car is proven, so no question on reliability. Hyundai service is also very good. No wonder this one sells great numbers.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 31st July 2011 at 13:15.
Old 4th August 2011, 22:24   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Been a while since the thread was updated by me. Sorry for the delayed update.

The i10 rocks. I used it for few months until Dec 2010. Bought a Fiesta TDCi SXi in Dec 2010 for my personal use. So the i10 is now purely parents drive.

Dad is enjoying the i10, he was skeptical about going outside the Maruti family. But the little Hyundai has surprised him and he is a happy man. 2nd service done. No niggles what so ever. Giving a mileage of around 12, never really checked. For me as long as parents are happy taking it around Cochin city and occasional trips to native, I am a happy customer.

For all those looking to buy the i10, with the added features in the Kappa2, I think this is the car to buy. Everything about the car is proven, so no question on reliability. Hyundai service is also very good. No wonder this one sells great numbers.
Hi Basil,

You have taken the correct decision to buy i10. A very good city car,lot of qualities. Flaws are few,jittery ride being the main. Since your parents are happy,no problem.

I have been driving an i10 for the last 3 years and been very satisfied. In fact after my recent purchase of ANHC AT,I had decided to sell the i10-but decided to keep it,a car of sheer quality-could not let it go. I have the kappa version-kappa2 should be even better.

Anyway nice to read about your hunt-glad that it came to a very sensible end.

Can we expect an ownership review soon?

And hope your hunt for the luxury sedan will make an equally interesting discussion.

Take care and drive safe.

Rgds,charthom.
Old 12th August 2011, 00:24   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
in continuation to the subject of choosing between the given hatchbacks, i am also looking to replace my Old Wagon R with a diesel hatchback, this will be my first stint with a diesel car, probables are Beat, Micra and swift.
Swift is the unanimous winner but looking at the long waiting queue and new model coming in, cannot wait that long
Which one to hold between Beat or Micra, Beat looking to be a more cost conscious decision so far but micra is new in its segment,
I think the waiting period for the new swift is around 3 months. Its worth waiting for this car when compared to Beat and Micra. Recently I upgraded from Old WagonR to Dzire diesel and just love the pull. If budget permits then consider ZDI model.
Old 27th August 2011, 20:21   #52
BHPian

i10 or the Beat?

the car is for my mom,upgrading from a M800..
her criteria are:
1)smaller sized,easy to drive city car
2)drives alone weekdays and just 4 people on every sunday
3)maximum 500-600km per month
4)better egress and ingress
5)servicing and easy maintenance

was thinking about I10 or beat??any others welcome too.
she doesnt want the spark or alto family or ritz !!
budget at 5L
Old 27th August 2011, 22:41   #53
BHPian

Re: i10 or the Beat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
the car is for my mom,upgrading from a M800..
her criteria are:
1)smaller sized,easy to drive city car
2)drives alone weekdays and just 4 people on every sunday
3)maximum 500-600km per month
4)better egress and ingress
5)servicing and easy maintenance

was thinking about I10 or beat??any others welcome too.
she doesnt want the spark or alto family or ritz !!
budget at 5L
Having owned an I10 since the last 8 months, I'm convinced that it is an excellent all round car for the city. Compact from the outside and spacious in the inside. Easy ingress and egress, Great engine and fit/finish is top notch. If driven well, FE can yield surprisingly nice figures.

But don't take only my word for it as I could be branded as an I10 loyalist, since I own one. Check out the following I10-related posts by our grandmaster GTO in different threads on this forum.

Melvyn

Posts by GTO:

The i10 is a much superior package to the petrol Figo, Beat, Micra and Punto. It's amongst the best city cars on sale in India today.

For those who come to me for advice on a "no-nonsense, thoroughly reliable car for long term use", my recommendations were usually the Japanese brands. Now, I include the Korean too (in particular, Hyundai). The i10 is a bigger brand builder for Hyundai than the Sonata, Santa Fe or any of their more expensive cars. Primary reason : Thousands of people every day witness the sheer quality of this car, and how it's the best in the segment. Marutis & the like can only dream on. And that new Kappa2 engine is an absolute jewel. Have you take a spin in one?

The I10 is one of my favourite petrol hatchbacks and absolutely blows most of the competition away in quality & ease of driving within the city. When Stratos & I tested the Kappa2, we ended up mighty impressed after 3 days of usage. In fact, except for the bumpy rear seat ride, we couldn't find a major flaw. The skinny tyres are the easiest to upgrade.

I believe that the i10 is a truly premium hatch, and it remains one of the most recommended by me. Let's also not forget the industry-leading 5 year (optional) warranty that Hyundai offers.

Outright acceleration (of Liva) is about on par with the Swift, though the quick i10 Kappa2 will leave both cars in its dust.

The Liva's 1.2L petrol's torque & driveability are a letdown. Cabin quality is even beaten by the Swift, leave along cars like the i10. The i10 Kappa2 remains my favourite petrol hatchback in the market today.

The Liva isn't an entry-level hatchback. Hence, the expectations in terms of interior part quality are different. Spend a little time and the cost cutting is glaringly evident. The Swift definitely edges it out in terms of plastic quality, while any comparisons to cars like the i10 are futile.

If you look up my older posts on the forum, you'll lose count of the number of times I've recommended the i10....much more than the Ritz! The only reason I'd buy a Ritz over the i10 VTVT is if I'd want diesel. The i10's interiors are too good for the segment, but one important area where the Ritz scores better is the ride quality.

I think the i10 Kappa2 is most definitely a premium hatch. Heck, I like it WAY more than even the i20. Why premium?

Quality? Check
Interior fit & finish? Check
Refinement? Check
Engine performance? Check. Kappa2 is as quick / quicker than even the Polo 1.6 BTW
Gearshift? Amongst the best this side of 10 lakhs
Equipment? Well, there is a variant with a sun-roof too

Automatic? Usually considered a premium option. Check.

The only downer to the i10 is its basic ride quality. But then, the Jazz is no magic carpet either.

Old 28th August 2011, 10:02   #54
BHPian

IMHO go for the beat diesel. It is a kind of a game changer. VFM, great interiors (in LT variant) easy to drive. What more does one want?
Old 28th August 2011, 17:02   #55
BHPian

any other choices!

from hearsay experiences and knowledge,
the beat is VFM but seems the ergonomics are a little hard getting used to by older women folks.
the I10 is a good choice but seems they do have niggling issues and just recently one of our family friends exchanged their I10 due to steering issues!!

just for the sake of price bracket inclusion,i was also considering the A star automatic also!!btw,when is the honda brio coming?

Last edited by ariendj : 28th August 2011 at 17:04.
Old 28th August 2011, 19:28   #56
Senior - BHPian

^^ My wife has been driving her i-10 for 6 months now.

Is she happy with it ? A big YES it is from her side, whenever I ask her !

Plan a test drive, I am sure your Mom would love it, for its "easy to drive" qualities.

Personally too, I found the following plus points while driving her i-10 :

i. Easy gearshifts
ii. Good low end torque, I have never stalled this car even once, while taking off from rest.
iii. Excellent ergonomics, all controls are within easy reach.
iv. Quite spacious on the inside, contrary to what it looks like from the outside.
v. Easy ingress and egress.
vi. Tall seating position, good all round visibility.

Hope this helps

Most Viewed