Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 19:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hatch for a short person.

One of my friend, who is around 5"1' wants to buy a Hatch (Budget around 5L), he expects to drive only a little - around 400 kms a month, so he doesn't need a Diesel for a high premium. There are 10+ hatches are available and its not possible to test every car.
I would like to recommend him something which gives better road view, occasionally his wife might drive, so something easy to handle within the city.

WagonR comes to my mind, But I would like to present 3-4 options.

Let me get your support to choose.

Thanks,
Old 4th August 2010, 19:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Flavour of the season! Alto K series! (Now flavour of all seasons! )

If you need some more solid build A-Star. Wagon-R I am told has a long waiting period.

You have plenty to play around here.

Only that Ritz is a NO. Driving would be an issue for your friend.

Also what is the budget?

Last edited by ampere : 4th August 2010 at 19:39.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

^^ 5 L is the budget. Hey get a top end hatch from good companies (look around for reviews) and if height is a problem here then use some kind of cushioning earlier and then once your friend is comfortable and used to with car then he can drive w/o any support. Its just a matter of getting used to really. With a 5 L budget I'd suggest an i10.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

1) The recently released Alto with K10B unit. Review here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-review.html

2) Wagon R. This is the best bet. The seating position is high, all round visibility is very nice thanks to the boxy design. The overall visibitily is better than Ritz. The new Wagon R is quite nice to drive as compared to earlier Wagon R.

Review here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-review.html

3) If he is comfortable with Ritz, its an option above Wagon R. Ritz motors are nice as compared to what I10 offers.

Review here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t+drive+review
Old 4th August 2010, 20:02   #5
BHPian

First thing that comes to my mind consdering your requriements is the Ritz. i10, A-Star and Alto K series will be the other options.But first impression would be Ritz from my end
Old 4th August 2010, 20:28   #6
BHPian

While I feel budget is limiting, it doesn't mean you can't go in for something cheaper if it fits the purpose. You haven't mentioned the features you are looking for. So I'll assume its the normal stuff. Central locking, power windows, power steering etc. Shouldn't be too tough considering every hatch now offers that by default (well, most of them anyway).

Height is definitely an issue for cars with poor visibility or narrowed fields of view. An Alto, is compact and hence will be prove to be easier to maneuver with the bonnet so close. Another option would be the spark. Some cars offer low slung seating, stay away from that. Any tall boy design is your friend. Try the santro too. The i10 wouldn't go amiss here either. My mother is 5 feet tall and drives the i10 1.2 Asta with ease, though we bought that for about 5.5 L on road.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
First thing that comes to my mind... A-Star
A-star is good for a person above 5'5", but for a person 5'1" IMO there will be a problem. A-star has slightly higher mounted dash, add to that the tacho mounted on right side. Agreed that over time any person will be comfortable with the front visibility, but real problem is all round visibility. The smaller green house and small rear windscreen do hamper the rear visibility. The seating is lower as compared to i10/Ritz/Wagon R. This will be painful in chaotic traffic IMO.

Wagon r is best bet. From i10 and Ritz, I think i10 has better rear visibility but loses out on motors.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Sorry I missed the budget thing in the post. For 5 best would be a Ritz VXI but a no because of height.
Ideal would be the Alto K series, but since there is scope for more WagornR is better (but note, it has a long waiting period).

i10 Sportz would also be a good choice.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:44   #9
BANNED

My choice for your friend
1 New Alto with K series (he will save lot of money as it is only 4L)
2 Figo
3 i10
4 A Star

Please do not go for BEAT it is very difficult to see in front of the bonnet for tall people itself
Old 5th August 2010, 17:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys for all the wise suggestions.

Based on your inputs, I am asking to shop around and take test drives of

1. Wagon R
2. i10 (will Automatic a good choice for City drive, especially for ladies? - But I hope that will exceed his budget and this is going to be their first car)
3. Alto (k10 would be great - But he has a budget of 5L)
4. Ritz (I will let him know that he can use cushioning)

Power steering, Power windows, central loving is all he wants for now.

I do not want to recommend Spark, due to my own personal experiences with local A.S.S.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:17   #11
BHPian

I believe Figo would make a very good choice too as the budget is 5L, can get petrol ZXI easily within that. Great overall visibility and easy to drive. Only concern is the lower FE than K-series and Kappa engines, but then it offers much more space and comfort than all the cars you mentioned.
Old 5th August 2010, 23:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well for a short person, seat height adjust is a must. Secondly, the pedals should be placed fairly high up and not too 'vertically'. Third, the steering should be at a relatively lower position so that visibility is not an issue.

This description fits Figo Zxi and Titanium.
Old 6th August 2010, 09:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun687 View Post
I believe Figo would make a very good choice too as the budget is 5L, can get petrol ZXI easily within that. Great overall visibility and easy to drive. Only concern is the lower FE than K-series and Kappa engines, but then it offers much more space and comfort than all the cars you mentioned.
How did I forget Figo? Thanks for the suggestion. I will suggest Figo instead of Alto, May be Alto as a last option.

He is going to shop around from tomorrow. Thanks for all the support.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:29   #14
BHPian

My suggestion is like
1.Figo
2.Micra
3.Getz
4.Spark
Old 16th August 2010, 17:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

An update and growing confusion.

My friend went to see the cars and wanted to short list during the last couple of weeks.
He likes, Figo, i10 and Wagon-R. But an ad confused him. An AT or MT of i10 and A-Star. Though A-star was not his initial list, arrival of this hatch confused him, as he mostly drives within the city.
Considering his budget 5L I recommend him to test drive an AT too. Do we have any feedback/test reports on i10 AT? I believe its too early to ask for TD report for A-Star AT.

Buying a car was never been tough before even if you have the money to spend. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks