Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 10:04   #16
BHPian

Sankar@ Its between Alto K10 and A Star now. Central Locking and front PW will be provided as part of the Maruti accessories component of Rs.10K.
So the essential features between K10 vxi and A Star lxi would be almost same.

But Sid found too many issues with A Star handling, drivability etc whereas TheMag didnt found these issues to be serious enough with K10.

Thats my dilemma!!! Can someone clarify these issues beteen A Star and Alto K10 please?

Last edited by JKBKS : 7th August 2010 at 10:19.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:32   #17
BHPian

JKBKS I would suggest you to take a long test drive of both cars where you can experience each and since it will be mostly used by your Wife, let her make choice between the two after some test drive.

According to this forum reviews some people found A Star handling very good, Alto k10 was fun to drive due to low weight and same engine power as new WagonR so its quite peppy. People said its the real successor of old zen. This statement says all.

Go with the heart when buying car so that you don't regret later, why someone else decide what you should buy
Old 7th August 2010, 11:00   #18
BHPian

Good point Hasim. Its not about someone else deciding but about taking an expert opinion on a product which may have some known issues associated with a long association unknown to me and known only to Auto experts on this forum.
Otherwise you see all brands of cars being sold and bought and people deciding on their own but I want to make an informed decision. Thats all.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

If its between the Alto and A star, my vote now goes for Alto. It is indeed a real successor to the old Zen. Alto K10, I am assuming would come equiped with better tires? I think the new K10 looks better (as compared to the Lxi trim of A*, VXi & Zxi A*'s look great!)
Old 7th August 2010, 11:27   #20
BHPian

I would take out Wagon-R from the list for its looks. Then, between, A-Star and AltoK10, i would choose AltoK10. Reason, Its value for money, great mileage, Alto is a proven and this one is really going to rule the show
Old 7th August 2010, 13:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
But Sid found too many issues with A Star handling, drivability etc whereas TheMag didnt found these issues to be serious enough with K10.

Thats my dilemma!!! Can someone clarify these issues beteen A Star and Alto K10 please?
1) A-star is one a car that is high on Fun To Drive ( FTD ) factor. A-star has got nice handling, is better to ride in that i10 and is more FTD that i10.

The problem with A-star is rear seat space, small rear window and small boot. These are the problems likely to come up if this car is being used as a car to haul family to weekend visits or long trips. For city driving A-star is good if you are comfortable with not so much space in rear seat and not so much boot space. This I think wont be an issue if the primary use of the car is to carry around kids and a few things to be bought from grocery shop.

Alto on the other is older, has better space ( atleast the larger and more practical green house ) and boot is more usable.

2) TD both the cars before deciding. I am not against anybody but let me admit that if Sidindica has reported that A-star is not good at handling, it does not mean that the handling is very bad. I found it quite entertaining and direct. TD both the cars yourself before you make the decision.

A-star ( basically A-star is new Alto, the name A-star is itself believed to be taken as Alto-Star )has higher sportiness content, is modern and is better to drive. Alto is older car with more practical touches for rear seat and boot space.

If its between Alto and A-star, IMO go for A-star.
Old 7th August 2010, 14:04   #22
Team-BHP Support

Is boot factor anything of importance? If yes its Alto then.
Old 7th August 2010, 16:18   #23
BHPian

Just came back after TDing both K10 and A Star.Took my parents and son along to test rear seat comfort and pick-up when loaded. Below are my impressions:
  1. Both A Star and K10 have very sluggish pick up taking off after slowing down for a steeper bump (in 2nd gear and AC on). Had to shift to 1st gear in both for accelerating. So Equal points here.
  2. A Star is built better (in terms of finish and plastics inside and in the general feel overall). One definitely feels better inside A Star.
  3. Couldn't feel much of a difference in geashift. Both are almost similar. So equal points again.
  4. Felt more rear seat space and comfort in A Star and confirmed the same by my parents also who were in rear seat throught both TDs. Advantage A Star.
  5. Front and side visibility is definitely better in K10. But shdnt matter for a safe and cautious driver. Advantage K10.
  6. Didnt do hard braking test on either so cant say anything about that but again for a safe driver, it shdnt matter.
  7. Boot space doesnt matter much to me. So its equal points again.
  8. Given present discounts and deals, nothing much in ex-showroom prices either. So it's Advantage A star, I feel.
So Friends, In the light of above, I have decided to go in for A Star. Thanks for everyone's help and opinion.

Last edited by JKBKS : 7th August 2010 at 16:25.
Old 8th August 2010, 08:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Front and side visibility is definitely better in K10. But shdnt matter for a safe and cautious driver. Advantage K10.
Front and side visibility is definitely better in K10. But shdnt matter for a safe and cautious driver. Advantage K10.

NO- Advantage A-star !
How come ?
This is due to stronger A-pillar hence far more safer A-star than AltoK10
Moreover,
Poor structural integrity,
Old generation Brakes & Suspension
With stronger powerful engine make a deadly Cocktail

It is better safe than sorry As they say

cheers
Old 8th August 2010, 09:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Front and side visibility is definitely better in K10. But shdnt matter for a safe and cautious driver. Advantage K10.

NO- Advantage A-star !
How come ?
This is due to stronger A-pillar hence far more safer A-star than AltoK10
Moreover,
Poor structural integrity,
Old generation Brakes & Suspension
With stronger powerful engine make a deadly Cocktail

It is better safe than sorry As they say

cheers
I was only looking at visibility but good you pointed out the safet aspect. When you say Poor structural integrity, is it for K10 or A Star?

Further, I am having doubts about A Star now due to its very poor pulling power in 2nd gear (when loaded and AC is on) when its just rolling...Is this going to be an issue with all the cars in this segment?
Old 8th August 2010, 11:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

I always drive with AC on and now after the run in has been complete i do not face low pickup issue in 2nd gear, unless the car is out of power band and climbing an incline.
Old 8th August 2010, 11:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I always drive with AC on and now after the run in has been complete i do not face low pickup issue in 2nd gear, unless the car is out of power band and climbing an incline.
Are you saying this for the loaded car case?
Old 8th August 2010, 12:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Two to three people on board most of the times.
In the power band car is happy even with 4 or 5 on board.
I never lug the engine, engine is always kept on boil.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:20   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Two to three people on board most of the times.
In the power band car is happy even with 4 or 5 on board.
I never lug the engine, engine is always kept on boil.
That speaks volumes about the engine.
There where is the difference that we are seeing here?
Old 8th August 2010, 22:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
integrity, is it for K10 or A Star?

Further, I am having doubts about A Star now due to its very poor pulling power in 2nd gear (when loaded and AC is on) when its just rolling...Is this going to be an issue with all the cars in this segment?
K10-Being an old design( more than a decade) that too for low powered engine at that time has certain structural weakness in comparison to A-Star.

If you are feeling poor pulling power in 2nd gear it is either you are in low toque rpm range ( driving style to be adjusted for boiling pots) or your natural driving style needs more torque. If the suggestion doesn't make you feel comfortable than....mmmm

..Start searching for diesel ! Higher-torque at low rpm motors.

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks