Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 18:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
But for one crucial factor... Safety. I think the new generations A* shell is more safer than Alto and for that one moment when you really need it. All the above arithmatic is not well worth it.
So A* all da way!
With ABS and Airbags, yes. Without debatable. Beyond 70 a head on crash will tax any car, hatch or sedan.
Old 7th October 2010, 23:42   #62
BHPian

comparison of A* and Alto K10 on safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
But for one crucial factor... Safety. I think the new generations A* shell is more safer than Alto and for that one moment when you really need it. All the above arithmatic is not well worth it.
So A* all da way!
Can we compare K10 and A* (non-Airbag/ABS) or their shells? any crash-tests of any of these two? Except the fact that, currently A* is the only model where maruti is using High strenth steel. (DNA news 27 September 2010).
Old 8th October 2010, 11:38   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
Can we compare K10 and A* (non-Airbag/ABS) or their shells? any crash-tests of any of these two? Except the fact that, currently A* is the only model where maruti is using High strenth steel. (DNA news 27 September 2010).
The point is, in the Euro NCAP crash test ratings, even with Airbags and Euro-spec safety equipment, the A-Star scored 3 stars:
Suzuki Alto | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

They have not tested other Suzuki models like previous gen alto, or wagonR.
Old 13th February 2011, 08:12   #64
BHPian

Re: Alto K10 Vxi vs Discounted A Star/Wagon R Lxi?

I have the same issue. Needed to get one for my wife. Did lots of research, TD'd a bunch including i10 automatic. I was pretty sure I will go for i10 automatic till I TD'd it. I found it surprisingly clumsy to drive in Bangalore. The new turbo has made it quite difficult in the city. When the RPM climbs, car just pulls abruptly. Then it was between A-star and Alto. Due to the waiting period for A-star automatic (2 months), that was not even TD'd. The visibility from Alto, I felt was much better than A-star. A-star feels slightly better built (not quite sure - I used to drive a previous gen Palio, both these Marutis are no comparison really). One issue I found in Alto (the TD car at least) is that the clutch disengagement is very abrupt. Could be a problem with the TD car - the clutch pedal was making a lot of noise too. For 10km drive every day in the city with one adult and a child, I found K10 to be best of the lot. I also did some 80-90kmph TD on a highway in K10 - not bad at all. Will be getting the car next week - in a month of usage, I will know more!
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2011, 13:08   #65
BHPian

This was already commented before by many ,

The A -star is upgraded version / replaced model for Alto .

The Ritz replacement for wagon R .

MUL has a very good strategy of keeping the market flooded with lot of options .

I have heard this saying and seems to be true in case of MUL. "If you can’t convince the customer then confuse him".

Believe MUL has done the same, offer the customer the old generation/New generation and old-old generation(M800) and then confuse him as to which one to buy .

If they have removed all the older generation, it would help the customer in making a better choice.

My suggestion any day would be new generations ones the RITZ or the A-star.

Sooner or later they will need to rethink on the strategy of placing the old gen/new gen cars that overlap each other.
Old 13th February 2011, 16:03   #66
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Kindly ensure that you type in full & proper English, for the benefit of other board users.

We hereby advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2011 at 18:54.
theoriginal9321 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th February 2011, 11:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Believe MUL has done the same, offer the customer the old generation/New generation and old-old generation(M800) and then confuse him as to which one to buy .

If they have removed all the older generation, it would help the customer in making a better choice.
Most of the car manufacturers have kept at least two generations selling
- M800, Alto, Zen (old one) and A Star
- Accent, Verna
- Octavia, Laura

The rationale is that there is a choice, get a cheaper one or a more modern one, it is upto the customers to choose or reject. It seems that customers at time prefer the old to new as is the case of Alto preferred to A Star, or Wagon R preferred to Ritz. So ultimately MUL has the last laugh, it keeps selling the old, and at the same time offers a better model which if it sells is good, else think again!
Old 15th February 2011, 18:59   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
The new turbo has made it quite difficult in the city.
I don't know which car you drove, but can assure you the i10 does NOT have a turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
The Ritz replacement for wagon R .
Nope. It's the "New" WagonR (currently sold in India) that is the replacement for the ol' WagonR.

Quote:
MUL has a very good strategy of keeping the market flooded with lot of options .
I had asked this question to Maruti once. Pat came the answer "We have the volumes as well as the economies of scale. We want to offer something for everyone. Don't care if there is overlap between our products, but the customer who walks in looking for a car should walk out with a Maruti only". Seriously, even a poorly performing product by Maruti standards (Estilo, A-Star) is more than what cars like the Punto or Beat manage.
Old 15th February 2011, 19:17   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I had asked this question to Maruti once. Pat came the answer "We have the volumes as well as the economies of scale. We want to offer something for everyone. Don't care if there is overlap between our products, but the customer who walks in looking for a car should walk out with a Maruti only". Seriously, even a poorly performing product by Maruti standards (Estilo, A-Star) is more than what cars like the Punto or Beat manage.
And this can be validated by the following. Rediff.com, today carried an article on the 20 best selling cars in India, and guess how many maruti's were there in it? Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, but a total of 9 . 9 of India's 20 best selling cars are Maruti's. Nuff said!!

And guess which car topped the list?
Old 7th April 2011, 17:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know which car you drove, but can assure you the i10 does NOT have a turbo.
Quite true, GTO. I checked it up later. The experience though was very much like a turbo car though. From 1500rpm (from my memory, may be off by few 100s), it just pulls abruptly.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th June 2012 at 13:00. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 8th April 2011, 12:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

[quote=vsbabu;2306162]
Quote:

Quite true, GTO. I checked it up later. The experience though was very much like a turbo car though. From 1500rpm (from my memory, may be off by few 100s), it just pulls abruptly.
That pull is there in my Alto K10. It starts pulling suddenly at around 2k and then even more after 3.5k. Has to do with the torque curve.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:47   #72
Senior - BHPian

And flat spots will henceforth be called 'turbo lag'!

Sutripta
Old 13th April 2011, 13:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
And flat spots will henceforth be called 'turbo lag'!

Sutripta
Assuming a virtual turbo, else "torque lag"!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks