Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:47   #1
BHPian

Thinking of buying a Hyundai i10 1.1L with CNG

Hi experts. I've been enquiring around Hyundai showrooms and current i10 1.1 owners (that've CNG installed) about Hyundai offering a i10 1.1 with a factory fitted CNG kit. The current users tell me that the Hyundai guarantee is valid for the CNG kit as well, and a few also said that the performance was really good with the kit. I've read that the 1.1 is basically the re-tuned Santro engine, and that is compelling me to go for the 1.2 VTVT coming up instead. But the only problem is, that the sales agents tell me that they do not have the authority to install a CNG kit in the 1.2 variants. Would the 1.1 with the factory fitted CNG kit be a good option, or should I buy the 1.2 VTVT and wait a year for CNG kit installation to be done from outside?

Thanks!
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

The I10 1.1 is not a factory fitted CNG, rather its a dealer installed with full hyundai warranty thrown in. Tomorrow the new model is coming and since I am in MP right now, I cannot comment on whether the CNG will continue to be available or not.

You would do well to also check out the new wagon R LXI with a factory fitted CNG kit from maruti.
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:17   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the info, sidindica, and I did check out the WagonR CNG, but the thing is, that the CNG is only available on the LXi variant, and for that price, I can get an i10 1.1 with the CNG kit installed, plus with all the features of a Magna trim. I don't like the option of not having power windows in the rear seats, after spending so much money :( Another advantage with Hyundai would be of a trade-in discount, as I'd be trading in my Santro, so I get definite discounts for loyalty and exchange bonuses.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey SId
I am not sure whether this is the right thread to post this query but, request to the MODS if its not then please transfer it to the right thread as a title search with i10 & cng gives only ths thread as the result.

I have recently picked up a year old pre-worshiped i10 1.2 kappa MAGNA variant. Now I wish to convert it to CNG. So I visited a workshop for price and all but the owner said that CNG is not successful in the 1.2 variant of the i10. he said that missing karti hai and patake mariti hai

I am not sure how truth is that statement so any experiences with this and if it can be done where should I get it done in Delhi/ NCR?? I do not mind spending a little extra for quality work as when I converted my Optra to CNG the shop did an OK job but I was not really happy with the quality of the workmanship.
And second what kind of kit should I go in for
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:45   #5
BHPian

Hi Harjeev, I too went to Capital Hyundai in Sector 63, Noida and asked the sales rep. there about the CNG kit in the 1.2 as well. Firstly, he said that Hyundai doesn't have permission (I guess since they allow this option in the 1.1, HMIL thinks they should keep the 1.2 "pristine" for people who need to run it on petrol) to install a CNG kit on the 1.2. Secondly, he said that the CNG kit isn't really successful on the 1.2. Have read on other boards that they've run kits on the 1.2 rather successfully. Still, its better to wait and see what the VTVT variant does the i10 line...

As for the kit, I've read that Deep Hyundai in East Delhi does apparently install CNG kits on Hyundai's and does a good job of it. They charge ~33k for it.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The I10 1.1 is not a factory fitted CNG, rather its a dealer installed with full hyundai warranty thrown in. Tomorrow the new model is coming and since I am in MP right now, I cannot comment on whether the CNG will continue to be available or not.

You would do well to also check out the new wagon R LXI with a factory fitted CNG kit from maruti.
sid is right its not a factory fit but a dealer fit. A friend has recently bought a santro xing with CNG and paid almost 60K for it, Maruti is giving the latest sequential kit for around 55K i think its a way better deal !! you don't have to compromise on power like you'll have to in older kits plus the newer technology is 5k cheaper you can easily get genuine power windows in 5k.
And he is not happy with the performance of the kit too, like he has to switch off the AC for quick overtaking.
And the main advantage of the sequential kit is that you don't have to tune it every month or two like in the normal kits (I have the normal kit installed in my Alto)
Even i would advice you to go for the WagonR based on my experience.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yaar dekho. In all these matters, go by the market.

The sundry taxi operators have gone with the WagonR despite all other options - it tells you clearly what's the most workable deal. Else Santro CNG has been around for a long time as well - but taxi walas go by wagonR - has to be that lovely torque curve!
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
you can easily get genuine power windows in 5k.
I did'nt know that! Thanks yogiii! That definitely tilts the balance in the R's favour.
Quote:
And he is not happy with the performance of the kit too, like he has to switch off the AC for quick overtaking.
I've to do that too in my Santro, but I've heard that a TAP makes a difference, albeit very slightly.
Quote:
And the main advantage of the sequential kit is that you don't have to tune it every month or two like in the normal kits (I have the normal kit installed in my Alto)
IMHO I've had to get my kit tuned about 2 times, and one was after this current rainy season. But, your points are valid, and unfortunately creates even more confusion for me... I guess a TD of the new 1.2 VTVT is needed, and then I can take any decisions from there. If I like the VTVT's performance, I just might go for the 1.2, and be happy with it. And if later I feel that a petrol engine is pinching my pocket, I can get an installation done from an authorized retrofitter. The good news is, that JMD Autogas is finally available in Indirapuram, so I don't need to go to Noida or even Delhi for an authorized fitment.
Old 24th September 2010, 10:45   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Kanuj, The WagonR CNG is the one of choice. Reason:

- It's a sequential kit. Better performance & efficiency. Less maintenance too.

- Factory fitted. Installation at the factory level will be way superior to any dealer install.

- The new Wagon R has more space, and better ride quality, than the Hyundai i10.
Old 24th September 2010, 12:07   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the input GTO. I think this is pretty much a closed case now with there being no discounts being offered on the new i10 variants by Hyundai, and I need to book a new vehicle by Navratri, max by Diwali. I was getting discounts of over 25k with the older i10, and that was just too good to pass on. Looks like its either the WagonR, or a good used Santro and get a retrofit CNG kit in that. I keep on going back to Hyundai vehicles because of the Maruti vehicles I've driven (the older WagonR), and Estilo, I'm not impressed by the gear rod. Feels too wishy-washy to me... Hyundai's vehicles on the other hand have that "definite" feeling to their gears and I love driving the Santro in city conditions.
Old 24th September 2010, 12:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuj View Post
I keep on going back to Hyundai vehicles because of the Maruti vehicles I've driven (the older WagonR), and Estilo, I'm not impressed by the gear rod. Feels too wishy-washy to me... Hyundai's vehicles on the other hand have that "definite" feeling to their gears and I love driving the Santro in city conditions.
Don't worry the new WR comes with cable operated gearshift, and is a vast improvement over the older one. You should test drive one to feel the difference.
Old 9th September 2012, 21:20   #12
BHPian

I10 1.1 IRDE with CNG

Hi,

We are planning to buy a CNG hatchback and zeroed on I10 CNG.
I have compared Wagon R CNG but because of features of i10, i am inclined towards i10.

I have visited a couple of dealers in Mumbai and came to know few things :
1. CNG Kit in I10 is not factory fitted. Its fitted by a Hyundai authorized dealer.
2. Full warranty offered by Hyundai for the car along with Kit.
3. Dealers say while fitting CNG they adjust rear suspension also.

While talking to one of the dealer, he said - no adjustement in rear susension - its just an eye wash.

Now :
1. Should i go for this dealer fitted - Hyundai approved CNG kit ?
2. Is adjustment in rear suspension really done and how do i (layman) find out the difference between original & adjusted suspension ?

Is any one running I10 CNG? I could not find any ownership reviews.

Regards,
Farid
Old 9th September 2012, 21:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Would advise to go ahead with WagonR. It has got factory fitted CNG. much better optimized and tested at factory conditions.

Owning a Maruti is cheaper than Hyundai in the long run.

Boot space is bigger as compared to an i10.

Interior space in the new WagonR puts other hatchbacks to shame.
Old 9th September 2012, 22:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: I10 1.1 IRDE with CNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
Hi,

We are planning to buy a CNG hatchback and zeroed on I10 CNG.
I have compared Wagon R CNG but because of features of i10, i am inclined towards i10.

I have visited a couple of dealers in Mumbai and came to know few things :
1. CNG Kit in I10 is not factory fitted. Its fitted by a Hyundai authorized dealer.
2. Full warranty offered by Hyundai for the car along with Kit.
3. Dealers say while fitting CNG they adjust rear suspension also.

While talking to one of the dealer, he said - no adjustement in rear susension - its just an eye wash.

Now :
1. Should i go for this dealer fitted - Hyundai approved CNG kit ?
2. Is adjustment in rear suspension really done and how do i (layman) find out the difference between original & adjusted suspension ?

Is any one running I10 CNG? I could not find any ownership reviews.

Regards,
Farid
Your handle suggests that you live in Madras. Is CNG available in your city? The last I checked, it was not. Are you buying the car somewhere else?

i10 with CNG is perfectly fine. However, how much does it cost you anyway? How far is it from Beat diesel base model? Filling up CNG is still a pain buddy. If you have to fill it once every alternate day, you should re-think

Oh , and yes, I can conform that they don't change a damn thing in the suspension. They are not technically equipped anyway to do so. The only car that come with alternate suspension settings are the 'factory fitted' ones. The dealer thing about suspension is -->All crap.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 9th September 2012 at 22:18.
Old 9th September 2012, 22:30   #15
BHPian

Re: I10 1.1 IRDE with CNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Your handle suggests that you live in Madras. Is CNG available in your city? The last I checked, it was not. Are you buying the car somewhere else?

Oh , and yes, I can conform that they don't change a damn thing in the suspension. They are not technically equipped anyway to do so. The only car that come with alternate suspension settings are the 'factory fitted' ones. The dealer thing about suspension is -->All crap.
Thanks Abhi,
Well, Yes i am presently in Chennai but my family is in Mumbai. there is a CNG filling station very close to our house in Mumbai.

- factory fitted CNG - what i know is only one - Wagon R ...are there any more ?

Beat Diesel - haven't checked out yet.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks