Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 14:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
i20 is more VFM than Polo only if you consider tangible factors like equipment but the moment overall refinement, suspension and build comes into the picture, the i20 is nowhere close to Europeans.
And for all the Honda reliability talk, they want to service your car every 5000 kms and have the least generous warranty package.

Can you clarify what do you mean by 'least generous warranty package'? Honda offers 2 year extended warranty and 4 year roadside assistance as free for all cars. Which other manufacturer provides the same or better?
Polo is not more refined than I20 in any which way.
As per the jazz manual, the service intervals are short for the 1st year only (5000/10000/20000 kms). After that, it is 20000 kms or 1 year whichever is earlier. Also as per ownership reports, the service cost for Honda is much lower than a Skoda or VW ( may be because they use synthetic oil etc) and so the total service cost for a Honda v/s VW will be more or less the same.
Old 28th September 2010, 14:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

I guess Honda wants to service their cars once in 5000 kms because its the only change they get to see the car back in their dealerships !!
Old 28th September 2010, 15:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry mate, do not confuse Audi with VW! Yes, Audi is above Honda. Let me add that Skoda built up a reputation and VW are trying to come in as a better Skoda. And in Europe what is Skoda - no comments. We can argue about it forever, so let us leave it as - we agree to disagree.
Complete respect your opinion. Though I was talking about VW and not Audi. German trio (Audi,BMW,Merc) belong to a different league together. But as you said, we can choose to disagree. But I also agree when you talk about Skoda. Probably Skoda in India is much more over rated than Honda is!

But as I said, in this case, I will go for Jazz!
Old 28th September 2010, 15:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Jazz comes with 4 years standard warranty and very low cost of maintenance. In typical Indian car lifecycle, the jazz will not require a coolant replacement for 10 years/ 2L kms and it has iridium spark plugs that last long, very long. Routine service costs even work out to be cheaper than the cheapest Hyundai car, if you include labour charges.

Hassle free, extremely spacious and user friendly, its the best if price is not taken into consideration. TEST DRIVE befora making your final decision.
Old 28th September 2010, 19:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Tempted, aren't you? Pick this up. Peace of mind forever.

Brilliant argument it is. I completely agree. Pure genius.

On second thoughts, perhaps that is what Honda are themselves doing with the latest Jazz ads. "Check out the car (all poses helpfully shown), Fall in love with it, See how you can have fun in it like old childhood days, Forget everything else and buy it!". Hope some buyers are swayed!
Old 28th September 2010, 20:24   #21
BHPian

Low cost, low on maintenance, great looks, spacious, leave everything aside. My sincere request friend, just do a good TD of Jazz, all your queries will be answered( Just bought a Jazz Select). I dont know much about cars. Jazz just fits in there. Its biggest asset is "It is a very simple car".
Old 28th September 2010, 21:08   #22
BANNED

thanks guys. overwhelmed by the responses... but in my honest 'uneducated' opinion, i found the Jazz pick up a little stunted, considering it has a 90bhp mill under its hood. we own a jetta for over two years now, so as far as owning and maintaining a VW is something am quite aware, and as most of you have pointed out, its not the easiest - but having said that, its not quite obnoxious!

my mind always said Jazz, not only for its space, but also because its a Honda.. take it or leave it, but here in India they have a unblemished reputation of delivering HQ. but take a look at a Polo, i mean one doesn't even feel like getting inside the car, cause the exterior is so damn amazing (wishing i could drive the car sitting on the bonnet, insulated)

SX4 i have heard is a guzzler, again uninformed, but am sure it doesn't deliver as much as a hatchback would (not that i expect a sedan to match a hatch here).

to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, do you think the Toyota Etios will be a good wait? :o
Old 28th September 2010, 21:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
thanks guys. overwhelmed by the responses... but in my honest 'uneducated' opinion, i found the Jazz pick up a little stunted, considering it has a 90bhp mill under its hood. we own a jetta for over two years now, so as far as owning and maintaining a VW is something am quite aware, and as most of you have pointed out, its not the easiest - but having said that, its not quite obnoxious!

my mind always said Jazz, not only for its space, but also because its a Honda.. take it or leave it, but here in India they have a unblemished reputation of delivering HQ. but take a look at a Polo, i mean one doesn't even feel like getting inside the car, cause the exterior is so damn amazing (wishing i could drive the car sitting on the bonnet, insulated)

SX4 i have heard is a guzzler, again uninformed, but am sure it doesn't deliver as much as a hatchback would (not that i expect a sedan to match a hatch here).

to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, do you think the Toyota Etios will be a good wait? :o
I will be surprised if the Etios is going to be any better.
Looks like you like the Polo and your heart is sold to it.
Jazz, like any Honda, needs to be revved to extract all those 90 horses. This couple with slightly tall gearing might lead to some people up shifting a little early which results in driving the car at low rpms. In Jazz, if you keep the revs around 2000 rpm, the response is fine but the real fun is above 4000 rpm where the car has enough punch to push you back. Frankly speaking, I do not think the 3-cylinder motor of the Polo can hold a candle to the Vtec of Jazz! But I also believe one should go with his heart rather than head while buying a car.
I drove the Polo TDi for a short while and found the engine to very noisy and a huge turbo lag.

Best of luck!

Last edited by adimicra : 28th September 2010 at 22:01.
Old 28th September 2010, 21:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think you need to tell us more about what you want in a car, the factors you've mentioned cannot really help us in suggesting one over the other. For example, when someone asks me for a recommendation, I ask them to list the following in decreasing order of preference:

Engine and gearbox, Ride and Handling, Interior Space, Interior Quality (in terms of plastics), Boot Space, Looks/Style, Service and maintenance costs.

Also, share with us whether you've actually taken test-drives or not, and what are your observations.
Old 28th September 2010, 22:43   #25
BHPian

@ methecupid
i don't think we guys will be able to convince you in any way on any product,
infact we can only confuse you further

so write down in a descending order of importance what matters the most to you in a hatch, see which car qualifies for the most important ones to you and buy it, then do let us know which one and why
Old 28th September 2010, 23:06   #26
BANNED

True!... i can't decide for myself, but maybe prioritizing is the best way forward, so here goes..

1) Performance: No! I am not a maniac on road, but i would like to have that zip at my disposal every now n then when i do want to have some fun (history: a 150bhp Nissan in the US, currently a Chevy OPtra and VW Jetta...) so every now and then i do like to puch down the pedal

2) FE: Contradicting to my earlier prority, i would like to have a decent figure at the end of every trip i make, considering the mumbai traffic and 50kms 'journey' everyday

3) Handling: I drive my car, and when am driven around... i usually doze off! Enough said

4) Snob Value: This is 'my' first car, but i would not 'like' to make any compromises. Couple that with a penchant for aesthetics, i would like to have a car that exudes a bit of class

5) Easy Maintenance: Bank of Dad has withdrawn, so here i am - all by myself trying to make ends meet!

There you are, and now you know why i have searching for the 'perfect' little car all this while, cause frankly - when we see the hatchback market in India, we have some awesome cars, but none to fulfill all your needs. so the best thing to do is, choose one which meets your needs, rather than working it the other way around...
Old 29th September 2010, 14:49   #27
BHPian

personally i might have chosen the jazz but as space is not high on you list a diesel vw would probably be the way ahead.
in terms of looks and class both cars hold their own in their separate ways so it is very subjective.
Old 29th September 2010, 15:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

If you plan to go a diesel and care about performance and ride and handling, look for Punto 90 hp.

No offence to Polo owners, but I feel compared to other diesel engines in the market today, the Polo TDi is the worst.
  • Fiat MJD (FGT/VGT)
  • Ford TDCI
  • I20 CRDI

All the above engines are superior to the Polo TDI
Old 29th September 2010, 15:54   #29
BHPian

I would go for the Jazz because of the power, iVTEC engine, space & relatively better Honda A.S.S. The Polo TDi is overpriced considering that its a 3 cylinder car. It would rate the Polo higher than the Jazz in terms of build quality and the snob value since its a VW. But that apart, the Jazz (though overpriced) is still a better bet.

Service intervals of 5K should not be a criteria in my opinion. I sometimes feel that the 15K service interval is a ploy by VW/Fiat and others to downplay the poor A.S.S. Given the condition of Indian roads and traffic in general, one would tend to have the car serviced every 5K or 10K km in any case. The same applies to the oil change too (even if we assume VW uses synthetic oil in the Polo).
Old 31st October 2010, 09:19   #30
BHPian

Bumping an old thread!
@Methecupid : Have you decided on the car ? Which one is it, the Jazz / Polo ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks