Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2010, 20:01   #1
BANNED

VW Polo TDI vs Honda Jazz, which one?

As the comparo would suggest, am extremely confused. But then again, being in the market for a hatchback in India is anything but an utopian-like situation. I have been following each and every launch in the industry for well over 8 months now; and as one would safely assume, i haven't yet been able to zero-in on my next car.

Lets just cut to the chase and throw this discussion open (mods, please revert back in case there is another discussing the same, cause i haven't come across one dedicated to this, bits an pieces)

The aforementioned cars are characteristically entirely different from one another - if one reminds you of a women you would marry, the other reminds you of the one you like to be seen around (subjective ) but what binds them is the retail price - VW Polo HL TDI - INR 751,000, Honda Jazz Select - INR 760,000.

Prelude: I love to drive around (intermittent adrenalin rushes incl.), do 50 kms everyday to-and-fro from office & home, like a bit of snob value, might sell the car in 2 yrs or retain it till 5, and open to opinions .... thats where need your help guys. Hope you can make an informed decision. Looking forward.
Old 27th September 2010, 11:53   #2
BANNED

50 km per day, 6 days a week, 52 weeks ie 15,500 km per annum. In my opinion you get a petrol, i.e Jazz. A Diesel cannot match the refinement of a Petrol. Of course the interiors, etc. of the Jazz are brilliant. On the flip size you have the power sush when the turbo kicks in, which you will not get in any normally aspirated engine. The 90bhp engine in a Jazz is quiet, powerful and very very refined.

A Honda is a Honda, as simple as that. Once you have a Honda all arguments go out of the window. Snob value again no contest. I wish there was an AT on the Jazz, I will then get one in 2011

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd December 2015 at 11:23. Reason: Typo.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:49   #3
BHPian

My 2 cents, consider an emotionally aggravting waiting period of 3~4 months for any of the VW Polo (TDI/Petrol) variants. I have no doubts on German enginerring or quality but the VW dealer(s) response during this gestation period might be quite an dampener.
Old 27th September 2010, 16:10   #4
BHPian

as you rightly said "The aforementioned cars are characteristically entirely different from one another - if one reminds you of a women you would marry, the other reminds you of the one you like to be seen around"
we are comparing apples and oranges here.
if you are a family man and this is the one car you are going to own for a while then go for the spacious jazz, the polo is way too cramped however i guess the polo diesel will have a better resale than the petrol jazz and will be cheaper to run.
another point to consider is the lack of dealer coverage with VW.

i call the jazz a big car without a boot hehe if you get the drift.

if i may confuse you further you get a fully loaded sx4 for about 8 lakhs in new Bombay
Old 27th September 2010, 16:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

You will love the Jazz since running cost reduction in buying a diesel is not a clincher for what you will drive.
Just get a TD and you will know the difference in feel.
Old 27th September 2010, 17:04   #6
BHPian

I too think that the Jazz is a superb car to be inside. Much more spacious than the Polo, and much better dash design (Polo dash quality is as good as the Honda if not better, but the design itself is quite jaded). Another plus for the Jazz would be Honda reliability - I trust VW just as much (or little) as I trust Skodas.

Positives for Polo would be higher snob value (sniff, its true!) and better resale (hey its a diesel! besides, the car is not a flop!). Net net I would go with the Jazz but thats just me. You couldnt go wrong with the Polo either.

HOWever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
My 2 cents, consider an emotionally aggravting waiting period of 3~4 months for any of the VW Polo (TDI/Petrol) variants.
This has to kick it in the Jazz' favor!
Quote:
Emotionally Aggravating Waiting Period
QED. I rest my case!
Old 27th September 2010, 17:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

@methecupid
Have you driven both the cars. This is very essential before you take a call.
You may need to answer a few questions. Are there going to be back-seat passengers. If yes how often. What other cars do you own.
Old 27th September 2010, 17:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Snob value again no contest.
@sgiitk-->I agree with most of your comments other than this. I have said this before and will say it again, VW has better reputation the world over (combined) than Honda. In India , we tend to over rate Honda as a brand.

PS: I have nothing against Honda and love your car i.e. CIVIC. All I am trying to say is there is nothing really great in Hinda brand. My choice will depend on the car. For e.g. I will choose VW Vento Highline TDI over ANHC V-MT. But I will choose Jazz over Polo TDI.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 27th September 2010 at 17:47.
Old 27th September 2010, 19:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

A Honda in India has better brand perception than VW. Add to that snobbish behavious by the dealers and the fact that this is the parent company of Skoda, I would stay away from VW.

In general European cars are more expensive to maintain than the Japanese ones. That is one of the reasons that Honda, Hyundai and MUL cars retain their value in the second hand market much better than the rest.

My choice would be the Jazz or as recommended an SX4 if you can stretch your budget.
Old 27th September 2010, 19:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you do not need a diesel, the Jazz wins hands down. The engine is refined and powerful (done a max speed of 183 kmph on the speedo till date), FE is good, much better interior space and interior quality, huge boot, more features - Steering audio, aux-in, electric mirrors, etc.
Also, you should get lot of discounts on the Jazz Select if you bargain hard.
Old 27th September 2010, 19:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

None of them.... I would recommend a Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP
Old 27th September 2010, 20:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Tempted, aren't you? Pick this up. Peace of mind forever.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo TDI vs Honda Jazz, which one?-61981_153419008025726_100000728839436_335040_618020_n.jpg  

VW Polo TDI vs Honda Jazz, which one?-62250_153419108025716_100000728839436_335041_1576701_n.jpg  

Old 27th September 2010, 20:45   #13
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jazz is a better car overall. The 90 bhp motor is more enthusiastic and delivers a superb fuel economy with great refinement. Compared to this the Polo Tdi sounds gruff. Plus you get more space and comfort with the Jazz, Honda reliability and a much larger hatch. IMO the Jazz is the best hatch money can buy in India considering practicality and reliability even though its priced more than all other hatches.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:59   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
@sgiitk-->I agree with most of your comments other than this. I have said this before and will say it again, VW has better reputation the world over (combined) than Honda. In India , we tend to over rate Honda as a brand.
Sorry mate, do not confuse Audi with VW! Yes, Audi is above Honda. Let me add that Skoda built up a reputation and VW are trying to come in as a better Skoda. And in Europe what is Skoda - no comments. We can argue about it forever, so let us leave it as - we agree to disagree.

Also, in terms of reliability and value for money the Europeans have long been overtaken by the Japanese and now the Koreans.
Old 28th September 2010, 13:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Also, in terms of reliability and value for money the Europeans have long been overtaken by the Japanese and now the Koreans.
i20 is more VFM than Polo only if you consider tangible factors like equipment but the moment overall refinement, suspension and build comes into the picture, the i20 is nowhere close to Europeans.
And for all the Honda reliability talk, they want to service your car every 5000 kms and have the least generous warranty package.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks