Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 19:12   #1
BHPian

BHP'ians kindly guide- Is Ford FIGO ok for a 6 Ft tall, hefty fellow?

Hi all,

Lurking all these days and read through BHPians reviews, I think, Ford Figo is a good match for my requirements. My daily run will be 36 kms. I prefer a petrol car , but not averse to a diesel. My driving experience is only one year (from Oct 2009). I want a smooth drive, low maintenance and trouble free driving on slightly bad roads too in Trivandrum.

I currently own a 11 yr old Zen LX. Getting into and out of ZEN is a task for me. I am 6ft tall and weigh 88Kgs. I am enamoured of FIGO, but I found that the height of the vehicle is 1427 mm compared to 1405mm of ZEN. The reason I did not TD the vehicle is that the showroom is 21km from my residence and the showroom wallahs are not too keen on driving down to my residence. The other choices considering height is Santro, Wagon R and Zen Estilo which I am not particular except probably Estilo.

Can the Gurus of BHP give more insights?. Will I be happy with FIGO?

Please share your thoughts

Last edited by srikanthns : 27th September 2010 at 19:14. Reason: Mistake in Heading
Old 27th September 2010, 19:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

No one can tell you whether you will be comfortable or not unless you td it yourself. Some might find it comfortable but you might not, so its best to td it and check it out. What is 21kms for one day man? That also to check out the car you might buy next.
Old 27th September 2010, 19:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
I currently own a 11 yr old Zen LX. Getting into and out of ZEN is a task for me. I am 6ft tall and weigh 88Kgs. I am enamoured of FIGO, but I found that the height of the vehicle is 1427 mm compared to 1405mm of ZEN. The reason I did not TD the vehicle is that the showroom is 21km from my residence and the showroom wallahs are not too keen on driving down to my residence. The other choices considering height is Santro, Wagon R and Zen Estilo which I am not particular except probably Estilo.

Please share your thoughts
First of all do not go by any opinion when you want to check the comfort the car will give you. Always try out yourself.

If you want ease of entry and exit Wagon R is the best bet in hatches.

In case you want to continue the Zen experience TD the Alto K10. This is what Zen should have been. Check out the ownership reports of the K10.

To check ease of entry/exit just walk into any MUL showroom and try getting in and out of the three - Zen, Wagon R and K10. Of course the best car for this was always the Omni. You can try its new avatar - Eco.
Old 27th September 2010, 19:51   #4
BHPian

You could also TD the Ritz. Since I'm over 6 feet myself, getting into the Ritz was an absolute pleasure. I didn't get to TD it, sadly, and the interiors make you want to get out as soon as you get in it, the car is sensible, and from what I've read, a joy to drive (the rear seat experience is a different matter though).
Old 28th September 2010, 08:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Although it is advisable to test drive the vehicle to confirm your suitability, I can say that being almost 6ft and your weight I have been able to get in and out of the car with relative ease. I have driven my friends Figo Titanium and it feels really good car to drive.

If the dealer is unable to bring to your place for TD, I would suggest go the dealer and drive back home as a test drive. later you can ask the accompanying rep to take the car back to show room.
Old 28th September 2010, 08:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@Srikanth, frankly I wouldnt know. I'm not too tall, or of stocky build. Yet I want my seat pushed all the way back ..

Pls go and check it for yourself. It's about how comfortable you feel in the car - not about one's build. Afterall, you will be driving the car. Not someone else.
Old 28th September 2010, 09:01   #7
BHPian

I am just under 6 feet (i mean tall.... not below the ground) and weigh about 95 kgs.

I test drove both Figo and Ritz. Ingress and egress is a problem in Figo. Ritz is indeed very comfortable. Even after seat adjustment, the passenger behind the driver will not have any issues in Ritz.

If you cannot TD Figo please do try out Ritz. I feel you will like it.
Old 28th September 2010, 09:02   #8
BHPian

Srikanth,
My BIL who is a 6 footer finds it pretty easy to get in his Figo, but me just a tad lesser than that always find the steering column messing with my knees.

So a test drive is a must as to figure out whether it suits you.
I also found wagon R a breeze for Ingress and egress. can walk straight into the car

GeorgeV
Old 28th September 2010, 11:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

srikanth nothing can be more satisfying than you test driving one yourself. Things like ingress/egress needs to be checked by you 1st hand and questions on the technicalities can be answered by us.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th September 2010 at 11:06.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Figo: Ingress/Egress is a task. Front area is OK but not great.Rear is more spacious than Swift/Ritz.

Swift: As the front is more roomier than rear. Should be comfortable without knees touching the dash etc.

Ritz: Lots of headroom and Ingress/Egress would be easy and comfortable.

Pls test drive all the three Back-to-Back.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

a. do a TD. everyone drives in their own way. Fit is for you - not a general rule which u can take
b. Take a petrol only. Consider an i10 1.2 - super car and cracker of a performance
Old 29th September 2010, 21:05   #12
BHPian

Thank you all for the responses. One of my friend who is also tall( 6 ft) but not hefty (I meant paunch) says that FIGO is not a problem for him for ingress and egress. I will go for a test drive this saturday and update the thread. I 10 , I consider to be boxy. If boxy is to be taken , I would rather go to Wagon R. Anyway will update after test drive.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:23   #13
BHPian

I am 6ft tall and similar in weight too, I tried many of the hatch backs recently as my dad wants a new ride. I don not know how you would feel but for me it felt like the steering is protruding outwards so most of the times I got in and out I hit it, I'd say try something from the Maruti stable as I found them to be very comfortable.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

I was reading this months OD anniversary issue. They have done some unique tests this time in the Hatch Segment - like height, weight, lipstick test etc.

It could be of great help to you.

But the best option remains for you to TD yourself.
Old 30th September 2010, 14:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi @srikanthns - I am 6'1" tall, and weigh in at 95kg. I own a Ford Figo. I am totally comfortable in it, even for long drives. No, the non-adjustable steering wheel is not an issue. Just push the seat all the way back and all the way down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks