Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2010, 14:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

High-miler car required

A friend has just come in with an interesting dilemma. He's a high-mileage car user, with some 3500 to 4000 km of running per month. He currently uses a CNG Santro, and has clocked over 1.6L km. Time to switch, and he is quite fed up with queuing up to fill CNG every day (sometimes even twice a day), and wants to switch to diesel. The options, as he sees them, are either a Tata Indigo eCS CR4 or a Toyota Etios. A Swift or Ritz are not on his radar at all - I feel he's not a Maruti lover!

Why eCS CR4:
1. Best fuel economy as advertised. 23+ km/l is very lucrative.
2. Has a boot.
3. Readily available.
4. Cheaper to repair than a Toyota.

Why not eCS:
1. Perceived reliability issues - cannot afford repair downtime.
2. No ownership reviews that I could hunt up for him on Team-BHP (are any there?).

Why Etios:
1. Toyota reliability.
2. Far less repair downtime and niggles.
3. Better resale than a Tata product, even with high mileage.

Why not Etios:
1. Unknown new entity in Indian market.
2. Unknown FE.

So what do you suggest?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 4th October 2010 at 14:43.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Figo is the best bet if he is not a maruti lover.

i really didn't like the ecs build quality and the interiors when I had a look at my cousin's ecs.

Etios is still an unknown entity. The single wiper on the test vehicles are not looking good.
Old 4th October 2010, 17:00   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe a Figo, but what about running/repairing costs? And what about FE (much less than an e-CS)? Also, given the astronomical maintenance costs involved in running a low cost car like the Ikon, I'm not enthusiastic about recommending a Figo. What about warranty? IIRC Ford offers a 2 year warranty only. Toyota at least will hand out a 3-yr/100,000km warranty, and Tata might offer 4 years (how many km? 150,000?)
Old 4th October 2010, 22:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

The problem with a tata, is NOT the warranty, but the fools who administer it i.e the dealers and the parts they put.

For him, its best to take a Maruti. He needs a vehicle that goes ultra reliably from point a to b and back. He's bringing his prejudices in it for no reason.

Toyota would be awesome (if the Innova, Qualis or Corolla cabs are anything to go by) ONCe it comes out. Its not in the market, yet? is it?
Old 4th October 2010, 22:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
...its best to take a Maruti.
Toyota would be awesome...
No amount of convincing can get him to buy a Swift/Ritz. He hates them for his own reasons.

Toyota's coming soon - end of the year perhaps, or early next. He's willing to wait 3-4 months if required.

Tata is his choice specifically for the FE.
Old 5th October 2010, 07:37   #21
BHPian

Just a quick update, my cousin went to the Tata Dealer and like the Indigo CS (forgot to ask whether it was eCS or CS).

He has been offered a Rs27K (Corp + Loyalty) discount plus a generous trade in on his Santro.

What's the difference between a eCS and CS?

How much more discount can he expect (this was his first visit)?
Old 7th October 2010, 09:35   #22

I am running my santro on CNG and my daily usage is 85 kms. Performance is very good apart from very small drop in the power, when the a/c is on. A full cylinder runs for 2 days. As long as you are running it with in the city there is you won't notice any major change in the power or performance from petrol.
So my vote goes for Wagon-R CNG since he is already having a santro. It is a well trusted car and very good for city usage.
Old 13th October 2010, 16:56   #23
BHPian

Just to bring this to a close, my cousin has booked Indigo eCS. Taking delivery on Dussehra.
Old 19th October 2010, 12:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Just to bring this to a close, my cousin has booked Indigo eCS. Taking delivery on Dussehra.

Do let us know the performance and fuel efficiency of your cousin's Indigo eCS. My friend too is considering the eCS and he currently has an Alto.

Trouble is, there is not much debate on the Indigo eCS on this forum, even though it is a VFM car, the cheapest sedan which is priced along some of the hatches and boasts of an FE that could put some lighter hatches to shame.

So, I am eagerly awaiting more reviews on the eCS before I advise my friend accordingly.

Thanks and regards,
Melvyn

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks