Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 09:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

As mentioned by many people here. If you are looking for the safety features and limited with Budget go with the Figo Titanium. If budget is not a constraint go with the i20 fully loaded version.

By the way did you not consider the Polo or the Punto diesel versions?
Old 5th October 2010, 10:13   #17
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The 6th gear is awesome and a boon on highways in terms of relaxed cruising and mileage.

What is the rpm in 6th gear when the car cruses at 100 kmph.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

What is the rpm in 6th gear when the car cruses at 100 kmph.
The rpm will be just over 2k at 100 kmph in 6th gear.in the turbo sweet spot
Old 5th October 2010, 13:48   #19
BHPian

I had the same dilemma around 5 months back. I went for the Figo titanium since the i20 turbo lag/Loose steering was irritating for me and i was not sure about the i20 mileage or the AC. Wasn't convinced about the premium i would have to pay for getting the asta version. There was only 5 speed option then on the i20 though.

I would say go for Figo since the car has been driven 12500 kms(2 trips to tvm from chennai and back in this 12500) now by me and i am quite happy with it. I too drive on the GST and the only gripe I have about the car is the relatively low GC. I will hit somewhere or the other at the tambaram crossing to velacherry main road.

What i would suggest is if you have 8+ OTR budget look at other options like verna/Fiesta/linea also.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 5th October 2010 at 13:51.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
How is the resale value of Hyundai good? Compare the residual values of Santro Vs WagonR. Used Accents and Elantra's go for a pittance and Verna isn't too good either.

i20 is too new to be talking about resale values.
My vote would be on the i20 crdi, it just seems like a car that is one category above the Figo that does not even offer rear power windows.

P.S the resale value of a car will depend a lot on how popular the car is in terms of new car sales also. eg, the Accent has terrible resale value, where as the santro has a pretty good resale value, and the same goes for the i10 which is devaluing quite slowly. So my guess would be that the i20 (especially diesels) will devalue gracefully.

Plus i found the engine noise (inside the cabin) a little more evident in the figo and not so much in the i20. Is it just me or do others share this observation?
Old 5th October 2010, 14:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Having driven the 1.4 TDCi for the past 3 years, i vouch for its reliability. But, many times, i have felt that i should have bought a more powerful car.

Having owned a FORD for the past three years, i feel FIGO is not a typical Ford car. Apart from its decent handling, it is not built like a Ford. For example, The front radiator is too near to the bumper. IMO, in case of a small accident (Frontal impact), the radiator will need to changed. Another example is that the rear bumper is non-existent. i 20 definitely feels better built.

As you have almost decided on the i 20, I would suggest you to go for it even though there is a one month waiting period. It is a much better, larger, more powerful, better equipped, safer car.
I was pointing that out to my dad and he too agreed. also, the fiber bumper in front of the radiator was a negative point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
I was in the same dilemma and finally took i20 CRDi for the below mentioned reasons:

- i20's 90 ps, 224 Nm vs Figo's 69 ps, 160 Nm
- Better space, Better boot
- Better fit and finish
- Long list of fancy gadgets (that premium sedan feel)
- Extra gear helps you in highway cruise with better mileage
- Better resale value of Hyundai.
- While Electronic Power Steering cannot be as fun as a Hydraulic one, it's sure not as lifeless and loose as people talk.

I got mine last week after a 70+ days of wait :-p
Wow! 70 days?! Congrats!

Quote:
I am a proud owner of i20 CRDi.Trust me you cant go wrong with this car.Especially the top end model comes with all the goodies to satisfy all your needs.I test drove figo tdci when i was in the process of buying the car.Its good but the features cant be compared to i20.i20 oozes a premium feel and the engine in i20 CRDi is a gem!There is no comparison between the ford mill and the hyundai mill.hyundai CRDi is far better.

The 6th gear is awesome and a boon on highways in terms of relaxed cruising and mileage.The ride is comfy and the steering though light is not as bad as people have made it to be.Go for it and you wont repent it.1 month waiting period is not that long compared to the happiness you will have with your car for many years in future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Its well worth the wait, go ahead. If you are worried about 1 month waiting period, what would you have done if you had booked a Swift??
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
it is far better than the minimum 2-3 months waiting period over here ! One month should not be a problem..
Are the waits for specific colours only? The dealer said I can pay and pick up a Blue Asta right away! I want either a silver or grey :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
As mentioned by many people here. If you are looking for the safety features and limited with Budget go with the Figo Titanium. If budget is not a constraint go with the i20 fully loaded version.

By the way did you not consider the Polo or the Punto diesel versions?
Dad's not to convinced with Vw's presence still, says the a.s.s. is still not proven.
Punto, After reading about the plastics and the engine not performing as well, plus the a.s.s. am a bit hesitant. Dad wasn't to Happy with VST motors for our jeep too. but still, will take a td!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I had the same dilemma around 5 months back. I went for the Figo titanium since the i20 turbo lag/Loose steering was irritating for me and i was not sure about the i20 mileage or the AC. Wasn't convinced about the premium i would have to pay for getting the asta version. There was only 5 speed option then on the i20 though.

I would say go for Figo since the car has been driven 12500 kms(2 trips to tvm from chennai and back in this 12500) now by me and i am quite happy with it. I too drive on the GST and the only gripe I have about the car is the relatively low GC. I will hit somewhere or the other at the tambaram crossing to velacherry main road.

What i would suggest is if you have 8+ OTR budget look at other options like verna/Fiesta/linea also.
Figo is slowly but steadily is loosing place against the i20.. but still it's the standby plan!

We are already stretching the budget for the asta, so can't do 8+
And looking for strictly a diesel vehicle so dunno if the verna/fiesta/linea will fit, except for the barebones versions..
Old 5th October 2010, 14:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

If you can afford the i20 just go for it. Speaking for myself, I enjoyed driving the Figo more than the i20 but I have to admit, the i20 felt surprisingly solid. Beyond what I was expecting it to be which goes on to reaffirm, never judge a book by its cover.
I wish Hyundai could give me a HPS and better A/C and it would be almost perfect.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 5th October 2010 at 14:30.
Old 5th October 2010, 17:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post
Dad is also convinced that we should look at the i20 asta! Now the only problem is the 1 month waiting period that the dealer is scaring us with! Is the situation really that bad? Ford said they will deliver the car to us max in a week!
When I went to the showroom, the salesman told me it would take around 2 months.
1 month isn't a very long waiting period, and it's better to be patient and take a colour you like, after all you're going to keep the car for years to come.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 5th October 2010 at 17:35.
Old 5th October 2010, 17:57   #24
BHPian

i would personally go to Figo as it is cheaper; engine is a proven runner and cheaper too. Interiors are not that bad as well. When it comes to Crdi i20; not sure of its braking and handling capabilities.
Figo is extremely good on this side of 160km.hr; personal experience and surely has no turbo lag.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:13   #25
BHPian

Since you are comparing across 2 distinct segments, you should go for the best in the segment that you can afford. Also give try out competitors within the same segment before you decide: Grande Punto and Polo Diesel come to mind.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Am surprised...thought there'd be more Ford supporters on this list. I would say go for the i20 as well. Hyundai's A.S.S. is unbeatable in my opinion (and I'm a Maruti owner!) It's not exactly a like-to-like comparison considering the difference in BHP, plus the i20 definitely wins in the looks department! Go for it.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:39   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Usually the dealer orders the colors and variants that are fast moving and stocks them.Hence you can get immediate delivery if your choice matches their availablity.if the required spec or color is not in the stock then they will order it for you and it will take some time since the order goes into a waiting queue in the manufacturing plant and hence takes some time to be delivered.In my case too,i wanted a Silky beige i20 in ASTA CRDi trim.Since its a slow moving color the dealer did not have it in stock.So i had to wait for 4 weeks to get the delivery.in my opinion waiting for a month should not be a problem since you will be enjoying your car in many years to come!

And if your budget is less than 8 lakh then i suggest you go for the i20 sportz version.its almost as good as ASTA except for a few features.And the AC in BS4 i20's are very good compared to the previous BS3 versions.

And the braking on the ASTA model is super since it comes with all discs on all 4 wheels.I had to make a panic braking on NH4 at 140 kmph and the brakes felt real solid!5* to the braking!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 5th October 2010 at 18:43.
Old 5th October 2010, 22:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
i would personally go to Figo as it is cheaper; engine is a proven runner and cheaper too. Interiors are not that bad as well. When it comes to Crdi i20; not sure of its braking and handling capabilities.
Figo is extremely good on this side of 160km.hr; personal experience and surely has no turbo lag.
The i20's handling and braking capabilities are not bad at all, only the steering is not liked by many people, but i have driven it and i felt no problem.
Old 5th October 2010, 23:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have taken 2 back to back test drives on i20 just today.

We own a FIGO and i20 is any day a better car than FIGO and PUNTO. If you have the money go for it. i20 handles decent maybe better than decent. Steering plays a spoil sport at times so just get wider tyres (195/55 R15 & 205/50 R15) OR 17" if you really wanna enjoy handling.

IN BSIV i20 CRDi's i have seen steering weighs up alot as soon as you reach the speed of 70-80 kmph. So thats one good thing i liked about the car recently.

Quote:
And if your budget is less than 8 lakh then i suggest you go for the i20 sportz version.its almost as good as ASTA except for a few features.And the AC in BS4 i20's are very good compared to the previous BS3 versions.
Sir Sportz version cannot be compared to Asta. Asta has a lot of features.
- Dual Airbags compared to single in Sportz
- 4 DISC brakes
- ABS + EBD
- Fog lamps (i am not sure if they come in Sportz)

Another thing about i20 braking incident which i personally experienced. I was with a friend following a Optra Magnum at around 140+. If anyone who lives in Delhi must know the road conditions with recent rains. There was long patch of uneven road ahead the optra couldn't brake but i20 just came onto a halt way way before that un-even patch. Those 4 DISCS and ABS is there to help my friend not just a show off feature.

Last edited by abhibh : 5th October 2010 at 23:19.
Old 5th October 2010, 23:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

I am not a big fan of Figo because I feel it lacks the premium feel of some of the other cars, cheap looking interiors, lacks crucial features like rear power windows, steering adjustment, adjustable rear headrests an add-ons like alloys,fog lamps, steering audio controls.
The I20 is a good car overall but I can't recommend it whole-heartedly because of the weak AC - you just can't live with a car having poor AC in a hot place (like hyerabad) and bad handling - I found the steering too light for any enthusiastic driving and the suspension being super soft. I urge you to double check the AC particularly as it might be embarassing to pay 8L for a car and the rear passengers complaining about AC! A month or two back, one friend had this issue - his parents kept on complaining about the AC in his brand new I20 while they were comfortable in the rear seat of a 3-year old Indica. All my comments about I20 are about the petrol one, I do not have experience about the diesel one though I guess the issues are similar.
So, among the two, I would still recommend the Figo because of the weak AC in the I20

Most Viewed