Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2010, 20:53   #1
BHPian

Figo tdci vs i20 Crdi, help!

Hello!

Would like some help to decide between the these two cars.

Particularity trying to choose between the Figo tdci (6.3lk on road) and the i20 sportz/asta(7.5/8lk on road)

This is going to be used mainly for 60% city and 40% highway(GST road :P) and long trips(Banglore/Mysore etc)

My question is, is the i20 worth the 1.6lk more? or should I stick with the figo?

So far, in my book,

Figo Tdci Titanium

Pros:
*Cheaper
*No turbo lag (in mom's words "the sudden acceleration didn't whiplash my neck")
*Abs+EBD+dual airbags (As the asta is a bit of a stretch budget wise)
*Bluetooth connectivity

Cons:
*lack of top end?
*No power windows at the back. not good. plus my dogs will HATE the 60% opening rear windows.
*Mom didn't like the suspension too much ( I liked the crispness of it!)
*I guess it will just take time to get used to, but the reversal of the indicator stalks is slightly irritating! + the bonnet release is on the passenger side.

i20 Crdi

Pros:
*More space, esp in the front
*1.4 crdi. nuf said.
*6 speed gearbox. Better mileage?
*More gizmos(steering audio), rear power windows

Cons:
*turbo lag - more shifting in the city
*I didn't find the steering too bad, cause well, the current vehicle I drive is a MM540
*PRICE!

So guys! can ya help me out pl? Is the i20 really worth that extra lakh and a half?
What are the other contenders in this segment? Will be going for a testride of the punto 90hp tmrw..

Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you can afford it, go ahead with the i20. The car though not a scorcher, is a decent performer and has a better A.S.S (compared to Ford). The interiors are far more luxurious than the Figo

As for the sudden acceleration, where is the fun if the power delivery is linear ?
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:27   #3
BHPian

If you will be driving the vehicle, go for the i20, it is quick, and its steering though is often termed as useless and dead, is not so. Handles decently, more power will help you on the highways, and surely wont harm you in the city, it is overall a better car. You can always have doubts about the Ford's A.S.S, whereas Hyundai is no problem.

Why dont you get the lower spec'd i20 ? The one which is around 6.2-6.5L on road ? My friend got the Magna and IMO it has everything that car needs.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:14   #4
BHPian

The i20's definitely worth the extra moolah.
- 6 speed transmission will definitely give better highway mileage. Also the closer gear ratios shouldn't make shifting too much of an issue in the city.
- Has much better features.
- Looks much better on the inside, quality of interiors can rival some C segment sedans.
- Better performance. As for the neck whiplashing acceleration, just drive with a light foot. You'll learn the characteristics of the turbo with practice so as to not make your passengers feel uncomfortable, and you'll always have the extra power for when you do want it.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:39   #5
BHPian

Hi,

I was evaluating the same cars recently. I would say the big advantage that i20 has over the Figo is the interiors while what goes well for the Figo is that beautiful steering and driving position. Also, the engine does not feel like a diesel at all (Cant comment on the i20 diesel since I only tested the petrol)

I was very interested in a Figo but ultimately ended up buying a Punto primarily because wife did not like the Figo interiors and the feeling that it gives of a small car inside.

Aniket
Old 4th October 2010, 16:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you think about it, 1.5 lakhs give you a better designed, better quality car with more equipments, alloy wheels and better engine with 6-speed manual transmission. Looking at the intangibles, the Ford is a much better driving machine and will turn out to be cheaper maintenance wise in the long run primarily because of the all inclusive maintenance packages and child parts for each of the costly expensive parts.

Test drive both and decide. Do look out for the i20's A/C though, the one in Ford is a chiller.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can afford it, go for the i20 fully loaded version.
Old 4th October 2010, 17:05   #8
BHPian

I dont think its the extra 1.5 lacs, car is an investment that you make for years, so if you can bite the bullet now, its worth it. Apart of the A.S.S, i assume the resale value for a i20 will be better than Figo. Ford India has a mile to go to catch up with the service network that a Hyundai has!
Old 4th October 2010, 18:29   #9
BHPian

Thanks all for your inputs!

Dad is also convinced that we should look at the i20 asta! Now the only problem is the 1 month waiting period that the dealer is scaring us with! Is the situation really that bad? Ford said they will deliver the car to us max in a week!
Old 4th October 2010, 20:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post

Dad is also convinced that we should look at the i20 asta! Now the only problem is the 1 month waiting period that the dealer is scaring us with! Is the situation really that bad? Ford said they will deliver the car to us max in a week!
it is far better than the minimum 2-3 months waiting period over here ! One month should not be a problem..
Old 4th October 2010, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post

Its well worth the wait, go ahead. If you are worried about 1 month waiting period, what would you have done if you had booked a Swift??
Old 4th October 2010, 21:09   #12
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Having driven the 1.4 TDCi for the past 3 years, i vouch for its reliability. But, many times, i have felt that i should have bought a more powerful car.

Having owned a FORD for the past three years, i feel FIGO is not a typical Ford car. Apart from its decent handling, it is not built like a Ford. For example, The front radiator is too near to the bumper. IMO, in case of a small accident (Frontal impact), the radiator will need to changed. Another example is that the rear bumper is non-existent. i 20 definitely feels better built.

As you have almost decided on the i 20, I would suggest you to go for it even though there is a one month waiting period. It is a much better, larger, more powerful, better equipped, safer car.
Old 4th October 2010, 22:11   #13
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma and finally took i20 CRDi for the below mentioned reasons:

- i20's 90 ps, 224 Nm vs Figo's 69 ps, 160 Nm
- Better space, Better boot
- Better fit and finish
- Long list of fancy gadgets (that premium sedan feel)
- Extra gear helps you in highway cruise with better mileage
- Better resale value of Hyundai.
- While Electronic Power Steering cannot be as fun as a Hydraulic one, it's sure not as lifeless and loose as people talk.

I got mine last week after a 70+ days of wait :-p

Last edited by aa_asif : 4th October 2010 at 22:13.
Old 4th October 2010, 22:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a proud owner of i20 CRDi.Trust me you cant go wrong with this car.Especially the top end model comes with all the goodies to satisfy all your needs.I test drove figo tdci when i was in the process of buying the car.Its good but the features cant be compared to i20.i20 oozes a premium feel and the engine in i20 CRDi is a gem!There is no comparison between the ford mill and the hyundai mill.hyundai CRDi is far better.

The 6th gear is awesome and a boon on highways in terms of relaxed cruising and mileage.The ride is comfy and the steering though light is not as bad as people have made it to be.Go for it and you wont repent it.1 month waiting period is not that long compared to the happiness you will have with your car for many years in future
Old 5th October 2010, 08:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

How is the resale value of Hyundai good? Compare the residual values of Santro Vs WagonR. Used Accents and Elantra's go for a pittance and Verna isn't too good either.

i20 is too new to be talking about resale values.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks