Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 00:34   #16

The figo base model wont be good for you considering the requirements that you have. It surely is a solid car and the interiors look great as well, but the re-sale value of any ford car is far from good. Also if you add on the A.S.S, that might be expensive because Ford Cars' spares are costly.
Alto K10 on the other hand is a sure hit, awesome engine, 67BHP on a 700Kgs car does make a looot of difference. Expect the FE to be around 16/17 kms to the litre. Extremely fun to drive, although I am not a big fan of the Alto's design, the tail lamps treatment in the new Alto adds a little character to the car.

And yes, my friend, you are right on the Estilo - does look like a half baked egg
Old 11th October 2010, 08:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
...Moreover it still looked like a boiled egg rolling down the road.

to that comment

I would suggest you look at the practicality and decide. K10 is a more fun car, but Estilo has more space, so if you're carrying people around, Estilo is a better option.

And same goes if you are a bit brand conscious. People will always look at an Alto as an Alto.. a segment lower than the Estilo (even though now they are similar in price!)
Old 11th October 2010, 10:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
to that comment

People will always look at an Alto as an Alto.. a segment lower than the Estilo (even though now they are similar in price!)
I accept with the above statement very honestly. however improved might the Alto be, still everyone will think, why an Alto. Regarding the space its not a problem for me, as we have an Maruthi Versa to carry more than 8 people when required for longer trips, so the Alto will be used to city rides with occational ECR trips with maximum of 4 occupants only.

What am rethinking now is the point you brought out now, Brand value, even though the alto is 1000cc, still people relate the K10 to the older Alto only.

Point considered and validated

By the way bumped with another BHPian yesterday in chennai, he happend to be my friend also.
Old 11th October 2010, 18:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

I want to buy a car by this year end or probably early next year. My conditions are strictly Mileage and A.S.S. So after studying and researching so many cars i have narrowed down to two cars from the same stable. the Alto K10 and New Estilo.
Go for K10 any day. Please go through the ownership thread for K10. All your questions will be answered.

Quote:
Does anyone know how much mileage the K10 gives, i know the Alto 800 gives great mileage but with the increase in the power, has the mileage affected. i am a new driver, so how much FE will it give me. When i buy the car i intend to use it with 100% AC all the time.
In horrible traffic, where 15km takes over 50 minutes I have got 12+ with AC always on. This was withing first 400km. Others on this forum have reported 20-25 on highways at speeds of around 100. As a comparison other vehicles - Esteem or Baleno give 5-6 in the same condition.

Quote:
I accept with the above statement very honestly. however improved might the Alto be, still everyone will think, why an Alto. Regarding the space its not a problem for me, as we have an Maruthi Versa to carry more than 8 people when required for longer trips, so the Alto will be used to city rides with occational ECR trips with maximum of 4 occupants only.
The K10 may have space similar to the M800, Alto and Zen, but it feels slightly more spacious. For one/two persons with seats pushed back, it has more leg space than the others. One plus point of these cars is that with two persons and the rear seat folded you get tremendous luggage space. You can for example easily transport a window AC, difficult/impossible in most saloons where the boot space may be there but access is bad.

K10 may not have the oomph of the more expensive cars, but it sure has the pep. I have out accelerated most hatches. After 2000 rpm K10 keeps pulling. For fast acceleration try 60-80 in second and 100+ in third, excellent for overtaking on the highways. The only problem shared with small petrol cars is the torque at low rpm. With AC on you have to use the first a lot in stop and go traffic. A larger engine can do it in second.
Old 30th October 2010, 20:11   #20
BHPian

I also had thoughts like you when I was searching for my car, Though I haven't considered Estilo as I also don't like its shape.
I loved Figo at first sight but petrol Exi was overbudget. 'Shadow_bhp' s points of resale value and spares are also valid.
I compared new Wagon R and the Alto K10 which I was waiting for months to get launched. My requirement was for good luggage space, and the New wagon R doesn't have any advantage over alto in that case. For that reason I also rejected A-star which also a good City car in the same budget (after discounts).
so I went for Alto K10.
When I test driven the new wagon R and Alto I could feel the surge in alto (which was not there in wagon R despite the same engine) so I finalised alto the same moment.
I advise you to test drive alto also and you'll decide.

The only advantage Estilo has is the more luggage space (than new wagon R and alto).

wish you a happy ownership in advance
Old 30th October 2010, 23:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well no doubt go for Estilo, the difference is Alto is a vehicle built for a 800 cc engine but now with a 1L engine, but estilo is not so its built to be a bigger car.
But one thing, if you are serious about the resale value, then its surely K10.

I would endorse Estilo anyday, its a undervalued car, with good feature list.
Old 31st October 2010, 19:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

After nearly three months of ownership experience, I would strongly recommend the Alto K10 as a VFM. When you consider that all the variations of the good old M800 - Alto, Zen, K10 and now A Star have similar FE, what you look for is the resale value, which would definitely more for K10 than for Estillo. That is borne by the low sales volumes of the Estillo and A Star.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:47   #23
BHPian

Re: New Estilo or Alto K10 !

Any day the resale value of k10 will be more than the estilo. As far the looks it is good in copper sunlight color.Looks bigger than the old version. On road price close to 3.75L is a good buy. My suggestion is to choose the K 10. Or try out the Ritz lxi you may land upon spending 1Lmore but its worth doing so. (some good discount offers are available checkout!!!!!)
Old 17th December 2010, 20:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

i would reccomend K10 to you and not the Estilo.

its simple> Alto gives you the best VFM compared to the other small hatches in the A catagory.

here is the K10 i test drove and simply loved the way it behaved in the TD, not to forget how the local dealer in LDH has dressed up the K10!
Attached Thumbnails
New Estilo or Alto K10 !-03122010161.jpg  

Old 17th December 2010, 20:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Well no doubt go for Estilo, the difference is Alto is a vehicle built for a 800 cc engine but now with a 1L engine, but estilo is not so its built to be a bigger car.
Wrong. Alto was a 1000 cc car that also offerred an 800 cc option, but the bigger version was killed in India to protect the Zen and Wagon-R. The 1000 cc version was for export only,till the K 10 came along.

Alto K-10 and Estilo = old gen platforms mated to latest engine.

A-Star and Wagon-R (blue eyed boy) = latest platforms mated to latest engine.

BTW alll four share the same engine.
Old 17th December 2010, 20:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Alto K-10 and Estilo = old gen platforms mated to latest engine.

A-Star and Wagon-R (blue eyed boy) = latest platforms mated to latest engine.

BTW alll four share the same engine.
I would not claim Estilo an old platform, as it has very little bearing to the old Zen.

Further Internationally most manufacturers offer more than one engine, so there is nothing preventing a MUL chassis from having more than one engine in offering.

Alto K10 is slightly reworked body, primarily to accommodate a bigger engine with slight cosmetic enhancements. MUL could easily have discontinued the existing Alto and offered one body with two engines. That they did not is a testament to high sales volume of Alto, which they may not want to tinker with.
Old 17th December 2010, 21:15   #27
BHPian

HI! I think if ones willing to forgive the slightly cramped interiors then the Alto K10 should be the way to go!

Fantastic pick up and real gem of an engine. Trust me i ride an A-Star Zxi to work everyday and the engine never fails to put a smile on my face. Revs all the way to 5500 and the engine roar is sheer mozart
Old 17th December 2010, 21:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I would not claim Estilo an old platform, as it has very little bearing to the old Zen.
The estilo was Zen in name only!

But the new Estilo is still based on the platform of the old estilo, which it shared with the Alto and the old Wagon-R.

Whereas the new Wagon-R and A-Star are completely new platforms.
Old 17th December 2010, 21:39   #29
BHPian

You can just close your eyes and buy the K 10. It will never disappoint you. It can even embarrass many premium sedans with its performance figures coupled with decent fuel efficiency and the build quality is also very good for the price you pay. The new pocket rocket!
Old 21st January 2011, 12:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

kon si gaadi kharidi?

hey so finally which car you bought? K10 or Estilo?

Most Viewed