Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:00   #16
BHPian

@sidindica,

I tried i20 i felt its somewhat underpower and the AC isn't effective after siting inside for half an hour, Figo is very good but i rejected becasue of its low ground clearance and closer radiation/AC compressor issue. My mind pounds for Punto MJD
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:18   #17
BHPian

if you're worried about ground clearance, then even puntos clearance isnt all that great. I scrape on most of tne bangalore speed breakers. But no major damage to underbody. As for engine noise, i really dont care for a silent engine so you need to drive at 140 and make up your mind. Mileage around 11 or 12 in the city most of the times and around 19, 20 on the highways and i rarely breach 120.
I think you're very confused about what you want - pumto looks great, will handle great and e+ has a lot of goodies. Its not great on mileage and tneres turbo lag and gc is a problem.
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
if you're worried about ground clearance, then even puntos clearance isnt all that great. I scrape on most of tne bangalore speed breakers.
I think it's all due to how the speed breakers are laid in Bangalore. On my recent trip I had scrapped most of them, Back in Chennai my car has never scrapped anywhere.

On the mileage front I get around 13 - 15 KMPL within City and 23.6 on my recent trip to Bangalore where I didn't exceed 100. Also I don't think you can maintain a steady 140 in GST Road, I would think anywhere around 100 sounds good.
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:05   #19
BHPian

EDIT: Cancelled Swift and Booked Punto MJD EM Pack

Cancelled Swift VDI and Booked Punto MJD Emotion Pack... its OK both the car share the same engine and other goodies are

1. Blue and Me
2. alloys
3. ICE
4. ABS

Top features which are absent in Top variants of Swift (ABS is optional in swift but man if you want ABS you have to wait till your hair goes white). I think this is not becasue of the Swift assembling reason i think they wanted to promote Ritz thatz why they are creating such a Hype
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:20   #20
BHPian

Congrats - You missed Airbags from the features list. What's the current OTR, Any discounts running and what color have your chosen?
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:16   #21
BHPian

Congrats Mag Dude for the lovely Italian hatch

Why were you so obsessed with revving thing ? Diesels are normally not revv friendly like the petrols and engine life also reduces. If you enjoy ripping the car then change your booking to the petrol right away.

Did you by any chance get to see palio 1.6 in the price list or in the display at showroom. If not, can you do me a favour by calling your executive and find out if they are still selling and what discounts. I am out of country and hence taking your help
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Magnan.
You can take Punto to 140kmph before you hit 4000rpm. I don't think its good to drive at more than 140kmph on our Indian highways.

You can take it to 4000rpm without any worry about the engine but do this only after at least 2000kms.
Drive it well during the initial 200kms.

I'm sure you will love some features of Punto like:
- All 4 power windows are auto down + driver side auto up as well.
- Front wipers are speed sensitive- They change wipe frequency according to the vehicle speed when they are in intermittent mode.
- Rear AC vents
- Speed sensitive volume control
- My Car feature
- Auto door lock at 20kmph (perfect speed to auto lock)
- 195/60 R15- Widest stock tyres in Indian hatch market. Spare tyre is also 15 inch.
- Blue&Me, Airbags, Alloys, ABS

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 22nd October 2010 at 18:16.
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:24   #23
BHPian

@PaddleShifter,

Sure i will dude as u said

@blackbeast,

My daily running would be 40km, i cant spend it on pertol :P diesel would be my ideal hatch as of now, sure will do it checking the dealer but i didnt see any palio in the price list till now, by the way they still dont sell the 2009 Manufatured Punto either. if so they are doing with a Lakh discount as i heard

@teky,

Yes discounts are available and its as follows

OTR chennai - 745551 for Emotion Pack
Promissed discounts are Insurance(19K) + extendended warranty(5K) waiver off + Old car exchange Bonus(15K)

Colour is INOVA WHITE

Promissed delivery before 10 days

guess the VFM for me now ha ha

Guys can you now let me know the Mileage of it?? from everyone?

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 22nd October 2010 at 18:27.
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the great buy mate!! So another cancelled swift booking. Even I booked swift Vdi abs, cancelled it and booked Figo 1.4 Ti'm.

Anyway happy miles ahead!
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
Guys can you now let me know the Mileage of it?? from everyone?
Yeah sure.
In city without AC : Around 17
On highways with full time AC: 21 (Speed under 80), Speed in excess of 100 like 110 something will give you mileage of 18.5

Frankly speaking depends on the driving style. Totally.

OT: Keep the zen. It is on its way to be a classic.

Last edited by download2live : 22nd October 2010 at 19:01.
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:07   #26
BHPian

@download2live,

I really have no heart to give me Zen which served for beautiful 5 years, but i did a lot to it.. in another 2 years FC needs to be done, it really now gives many problem to be frank
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:10   #27
BHPian

guys can you please tell me how to edit the Main Title Heading. Sorry Mods very sorry
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

@Magnan- Send a PM to a MOD. Request them to change it to something like "Swift VDI+ABS or Fiat Punto MJD or New Fabia 1.2 Diesel. Edit- Booked Fiat Punto MJD"
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post

@blackbeast,

My daily running would be 40km, i cant spend it on pertol :P diesel would be my ideal hatch as of now, sure will do it checking the dealer but i didnt see any palio in the price list till now, by the way they still dont sell the 2009 Manufatured Punto either. if so they are doing with a Lakh discount as i heard
Are they offering a lac + discount on 09 punto also ???
Old 23rd October 2010, 02:33   #30
BHPian

Guys I am too in same dilemma. Its been 4 months now and dealer(bimal) and maruti are harping on the fact that this car is in great demand and takes 6 months to deliver. I am petrified with this response after fighting so many times with maruti regional officers and Dealer. I shortlisted few cars, took test drive and below are my responses: (All prices are after discounts OTR bangalore)

1) Jazz -- Can we call it a perfect nimble beauty? Perfect car with best of all worlds. However I have to cross my sanity levels and invite wrath from home ministry to bring it home - 8.25L is a bit much. Also it is not a high pickup car and its engine takes yawning time to finish makeup and reach high speeds.

2) Polo -- good petrol car but seating is for driver only. The rear seats are really cramped than any other car in the market. Also it is feature less unless you go for top variant that is bit costly - 7.05L. One sore point here is they have all interiors including floor carpet in light cream color. I wonder if VW engineers are so fat that they cannot look down to see that this color is more prone to getting dirty esp. in India where we love to eat and drop more inside our cars(though we eat and drop every where) not to mention what happens when you use the car in rainy season.

3) Vento -- Best sedan at entry level. Has good space in rear, racing engine handles brilliantly at high speeds. It should be a petro head's dream car. Same light color carpet issue and high price of 8.45L. I wonder why Indians still do not have a good choice in 5 - 7 L range in both sedan and hatchback domains it terms of handling, interiors/exteriors, price and A.S.S!

4) Punto MJD 75bhp-- This car loves to eat bad roads. I mean that thumping effect appears as if it is killing all ants in those pot holes with a heavy foot. But this comes with a compromise. Madam italiano takes too much prays to lift itself and run and has biggest nose (or attitude) in the market to take a U turn. Space is average. Service is devils paradise. They brought me a new car to test drive with speedometer cable removed so that car does not counts meters and they can sell it to some gullible buyer. Hits road at 7.5L (high end).

5) Fabia 1.2 D-- Costly of them all. Indian management of skoda are hell bent to kill this segment out from market with their new version. I tested only diesel and it was like I drove a cow with cough and cold. Engine was too noisy and car was jerking on every gear change. 2nd gear response was the saving grace. Space was best but again they, like VW, had the same cream floor carpet with hidden warning "this car is for driving with bare legs inside your house only so you do not spoil the creamy rug on the floor".

6) Swift DDiS (vdi with abs) -- Here comes my first love. Had asked ample of questions from experts and owners here about this car in and out. Best engine and good handler. Maruti still thinks that they are selling God himself under this name and there is no issues with the car whatsoever. This is evident from the fact that I am fighting with maruti a separate loosing battle with their quality issues since last 2 years. I mean what makes think that there is no need for ZDi as the diesel guys are anyways immortals! This car has good space like fabia but because of big antique sofa type seats the interiors look claustrophobic and add to that black color to make matters worse. The designer who built its interiors must be an ambassador engineer to ignore some basic stuff inside the car that is not cheap at 6.5L. Also you need to have a good audio system to over hear this rattling queen. Some bhpins too have reported quality issues that come as soon as you take the car home for first time as if it does not likes you and gives you hints in its own different ways.

Thus I am left with 2 options keeping budget and safety in mind -- Swift or Punto Mjd pack. I trust bhpins to help me out on the same.

Thanks
Anand

Last edited by Anandg : 23rd October 2010 at 02:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed