Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:22   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Are they offering a lac + discount on 09 punto also ???
All together a lakh discount as i heard for there problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Thus I am left with 2 options keeping budget and safety in mind -- Swift or Punto Mjd pack. I trust bhpins to help me out on the same.
Even i was in the same mindset. I even booked Swift but after its waiting period kill, i rejected it and booked Punto on it!!! now i am waiting for the beauty to reach home in another 10 days!!!... Go for Punto it has the same MJD engine as swift has with better hadling and relaiablity even you get 195/60 with 15th alloys on top end

Swift is just dream, they want to promote Ritz thatz why they are killing Swift with waiting period. they wanted people to pick Ritz for its same Engine, either MJD or K12 motor.
Old 23rd October 2010, 13:22   #32
BHPian

Requesting all Punto Owners to share your Mileage please, Having the fact that mileage depends on each driving styles
Old 24th October 2010, 12:17   #33
BHPian

@magnanimousdude : Congratulations on booking a new Punto. From which dealer have you booked your car from ? Also any plans of putting in a pete's box / any other performance modifications in future ?

@All : Can we put in a Pete's box in a 90HP Punto ? Has anybody come across a 90HP Punto with a tuning box on the internet ?
Old 24th October 2010, 12:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
@magnanimousdude : Congratulations on booking a new Punto. From which dealer have you booked your car from ? Also any plans of putting in a pete's box / any other performance modifications in future ?

@All : Can we put in a Pete's box in a 90HP Punto ? Has anybody come across a 90HP Punto with a tuning box on the internet ?
It basically is the same Linea 1.3 MJD engine. So you can as well use the Pete's box meant for Linea.

If i am not wrong, i think it will push the power to 103 HP and Torque to 220 NM
Old 24th October 2010, 14:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
If i am not wrong, i think it will push the power to 103 HP and Torque to 220 NM
So, would having a tuning box on a 90hp Punto decrease the turbo lag and make the drive a more enjoyable one ?
Old 24th October 2010, 14:15   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
So, would having a tuning box on a 90hp Punto decrease the turbo lag and make the drive a more enjoyable one ?
Turbo lag in Punto MJD? This is news for me.
Old 24th October 2010, 14:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

@EARTHed- I think you mean Punto 90hp, not MJD.

@donarun- Once you spend a month with the 75hp MJD Punto, you will adjust to the gear ratios well. And you will never have to ask this again once you cross 5000km on the ODO. MJD gets a lot peppier.

Regarding the 90hp variant, I driven it as well and it put a smile on my face instantly (may be because I'm not a speed guru). It may not be an outright performer like the Palio S10 and the similar but there are absolutely no issues with it at all except that there are no discounts offered with it (free insurance+ extended warranty + 4 year roadside assistance) when I last checked.
Old 24th October 2010, 14:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
@EARTHed- I think you mean Punto 90hp, not MJD.
In general is there noticeable turbo lag in 75HP or 90HP?
Old 24th October 2010, 16:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

@Greenday- I had just TDed the 90hp MJD for 5-7kms. I am all praise for that VGT motor. I didn't have anything against it at all.

In 75hp MJD, one has to learn the gear ratios to enjoy it. You won't enjoy the test drive for sure as you don't know about the gear ratios and optimum timing for shifts. Especially someone like me who has been used to the Maruti's first and second gear characteristics.

After one month of driving, things change and after 5000Kms on ODO, all these worries are history.

Noticeable Turbo lag?
Surely, there is lag below 1500rpm. (BUT then, minimum rpm for any gear is ~1300rpm)

Follow the pattern below and see for yourself about the true nature of MJD:

- Do not change the gears according to the speed, change gears according to the rpm.
- Upshift as soon as you reach 2000rpm. Next gear will then have 1400-1500rpm from the beginning. This pattern will also yield max fuel efficiency as well.
- You can go till 2200-2300rpm in each gear for best performance and mileage.
- If you do not care much about mileage and are ok with, say 14kmpl in city, go till 2800-3000rpm before every shift and see the result. Short first/second gear would be the only thing annoying performance seekers here.
- Downshift when you reach 1300-1400rpm. This is optional. I do this so that there is negligible lag when I press the pedal again.
Remember, 1300 is the minimum rpm in any gear so downshifting at 1300-1400 is no compromise. It is mandatory.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 24th October 2010 at 16:52.
Old 24th October 2010, 17:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
@Greenday- I had just TDed the 90hp MJD for 5-7kms. I am all praise for that VGT motor. I didn't have anything against it at all.

In 75hp MJD, one has to learn the gear ratios to enjoy it. You won't enjoy the test drive for sure as you don't know about the gear ratios and optimum timing for shifts. Especially someone like me who has been used to the Maruti's first and second gear characteristics.

After one month of driving, things change and after 5000Kms on ODO, all these worries are history.

Noticeable Turbo lag?
Surely, there is lag below 1500rpm. (BUT then, minimum rpm for any gear is ~1300rpm)

- Do not change the gears according to the speed, change gears according to the rpm.
- Upshift as soon as you reach 2000rpm. Next gear will then have 1400-1500rpm from the beginning. This pattern will also yield max fuel efficiency as well.
- If you do not care much about mileage and are ok with, say 14kmpl in city, go till 2800-3000rpm before every shift and see the result. Short first/second gear would be the only thing annoying performance seekers here.
- Downshift when you reach 1300-1400rpm. This is optional. I do this so that there is negligible lag when I press the pedal again.
Remember, 1300 is the minimum rpm in any gear so downshifting at 1300-1400 is no compromise. It is mandatory.
I have driven the Linea for abt 1500kms in both highway and bumper to bumper Banglore city traffic. But the city driving in Banglore was a real pain with the turbo lag and short 1st & 2nd gears. Plus with the up & down nature of the city I used to hate to be in the driving seat of the car.

I have not driven the Punto MJD at all, but i'm guessing it would be better than the Linea. Am I right on that ? I have booked for a TD on Fiat's website today morning and I got a call from Pune in the afternoon to enquire abt other details. Looking forward to the TD.

Has any member from the forum tried tuning boxes on the 75bhp MJD enigne ? How are the results ?
Old 24th October 2010, 18:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Is it possible to see the RMP gaguge and drive the vehicle?, so far for the past 5 years i have been changing the gears with the speed of the engine, Normally i dont make the engine to revv. only at top gears i use to revv and when in overtaking if not on permissible speed
is this driving style is OK???
Old 24th October 2010, 18:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Punto is about 100kg lighter than Linea IIRC.
I haven't driven Linea MJD so I can't say if your experience of Linea will repeat in Punto or not.
BTW, what was the odo reading of the Linea you drove. Any idea?

In bumper 2 bmper traffic, we are likely to get below 1500rpm frequently when the traffic moves at snail's pace. Expect experiencing lag in such situations. It is unavoidable.
I've driven Punto, i20 and can say with quite a confidence that Punto isn't the only exception. Where there is a diesel, there is a lag.
In fact, unlike Swift, Punto offers linear delivery of torque so there are no random surges in B2B traffic and thus the drivability is better.

If Punto is heavier and thus has lower power/weight ratio, there are benefits of heavy kerb weight as well.

Finally, if B2B is the only main criteria, do check out Figo. But the creature comfort features of Punto are unmatched, though at a higher price of course. Even ANHC or Vento does not stand anywhere close to it.
Check out the Audi A4's driver information system(DIS)+ Infotainment features on Audi's website. Same features are present in Punto.

Epicenter has Peted his Punto 75hp MJD. He has a longterm ownership review in the longterm review section.
Here is the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-review.html

@magnanimousdude- Yes, there is a tachometer in Punto and it is on the right side of the IP. I guess even Fiat wants you to look at rpm more than the speed.
Your driving style is good and doesn't put strain on the engine. You belong to the point no. 2 I've mentioned (upshift at 2000rpm).

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 24th October 2010 at 18:20.
Old 24th October 2010, 22:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Punto is about 100kg lighter than Linea IIRC.
I haven't driven Linea MJD so I can't say if your experience of Linea will repeat in Punto or not.
BTW, what was the odo reading of the Linea you drove. Any idea?

In bumper 2 bmper traffic, we are likely to get below 1500rpm frequently when the traffic moves at snail's pace. Expect experiencing lag in such situations. It is unavoidable.
I've driven Punto, i20 and can say with quite a confidence that Punto isn't the only exception. Where there is a diesel, there is a lag.
In fact, unlike Swift, Punto offers linear delivery of torque so there are no random surges in B2B traffic and thus the drivability is better.

If Punto is heavier and thus has lower power/weight ratio, there are benefits of heavy kerb weight as well.

Finally, if B2B is the only main criteria, do check out Figo. But the creature comfort features of Punto are unmatched, though at a higher price of course. Even ANHC or Vento does not stand anywhere close to it.
Abt a 1200kms was driven when the car had done only 1000kms on the odo. The rest 300 were driven when the car had crossed 5000kms. Though there was difference on the engine characteristics but it was not very pronounced IMO. Maybe a few thousands more on the odo might bring the best out of the enigne. I am waiting for the TD call from the Concorde dealer hope it would clear my doubts.

I am not considering the Figo even though it has good effecient engine under its hood. the lack of proper bumpers, rear power windows and few other quirks have made the Figo go down a bit in my list.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
@PaddleShifter,

Yes discounts are available and its as follows

OTR chennai - 745551 for Emotion Pack
Promissed discounts are Insurance(19K) + extendended warranty(5K) waiver off + Old car exchange Bonus(15K)
I am also booking Punto tomorrow, but discount I have been offered are follows -

Insurance 19k
Extended Warranty 5k
Exchange bonus 15k

But I need to pay 3000 to get free insurance & extended warranty. Is that what you've been asked to pay as well? Pls. inform so that I can discuss it with the dealer here.

BTW, have you booked 75 BHP or 90 BHP?
I also have another query - I only got test ride in BS3 vehicle, BS4 test ride vehicle was not available. I would like to know if there is any performance difference between 75BHP BS3 vehicle and BS4 vehicle? Did you get a chance to try BS4 vehicle.

rgds,
- Manish

Last edited by manish7 : 25th October 2010 at 11:16.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
I am also booking Punto tomorrow, but discount I have been offered are follows -

Insurance 19k
Extended Warranty 5k
Exchange bonus 15k

But I need to pay 3000 to get free insurance & extended warranty. Is that what you've been asked to pay as well? Pls. inform so that I can discuss it with the dealer here.

BTW, have you booked 75 BHP or 90 BHP?
I also have another query - I only got test ride in BS3 vehicle, BS4 test ride vehicle was not available. I would like to know if there is any performance difference between 75BHP BS3 vehicle and BS4 vehicle? Did you get a chance to try BS4 vehicle.

rgds,
- Manish
You can haggle for free sunfilms. If they offer you Garware sunfilms as option then you take it, don't get it installed. Get the premium one installed and the price of garware film deducted from it.
At my time TATA had stopped giving llumar sunfilm. I got the TATA premium sunfilm instead which is working very nicely.

Mud flaps I guess will be included.

How does this exchange bonus thing work? You gave your old car to them for some money and they give you addition 15k off for it?

Last edited by download2live : 25th October 2010 at 11:25.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks