Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 16:06   #1
BHPian

Diesel Hatch - Considering the New Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.2 TDI

I was also in the market for a new diesel hatchback. Was seriously considering the Ford Figo diesel .... but one more option.. more confusion...

A friend of mine recommended that I check out the New Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.2 TDI. Its the same diesel engine that does duty on the VW Polo too.. Went to check the car out at JMD Skoda, must say I was impressed. Still not had a complete test drive as the diesel test drive vehicles were not present, however drove one of the cars for a short distance and found very responsive. The overall fit finish and build of the car was very solid and impressive. It has a pretty roomy interior. The boot seemed much bigger too.

Even the base variant - Classic is pretty good VFM although it does not feature a music system and power windows. ( Both of which I plan get fitted later - plan to fit only front power windows ). The all black interiors of the base are not bad too. The base variant also features an adjustable steering wheel (both tilt & reach), driver airbag, central locking and height adjustable seatbelts.

Now I have heard some horror stories of the Skoda A.S.S (After Sales Service), but after seeing the car I am geting pretty tempted. They have promised me a Test drive by the week end so will update you on that front soon.

The base variant is costing Approx Rs 6,25,000 on-road, Individual Mumbai. This also includes an extended warranty ( 2 + 2 years or 1,00,00 Kms). I know the Figo is cheaper, but I am looking for a car that I can use trouble free for the next 4 - 5 years.

What what are your opinions on the car? Look forward to your suggestions and experiences.
Old 31st October 2010, 22:26   #2
BHPian

Exactly what I went through, and finally decided on the (old) Fabia.
If your shortlist is Figo and Fabia, I can tell you that the Fabia build quality definitely makes up for the difference in price. But A. S. S, that's one area no one here will vouch for, although my experience has been good so far. Perhaps you can bargain for some discounts, at least the corporate one. I dont think they are making good numbers, unlike the Polo. But I have heard that the Polo diesel FE figures are far below what they claim. You better cross check on that.
Old 1st November 2010, 03:32   #3
BHPian

Hi Kunaal,
I test drove Skoda diesel before booking swift. let me tel you honestly about the same.
The car fit and finish is best in its segment along with good space, a typical of European standards, thats it. I felt the car (test drive one 370kms on odo) was making too much noise and was juddering when I changed gears both upshift and downshift as compared to swift and figo. I took a test drive of the fabia only because of the fact that it gives you more shoulder room like swift and was closer to it in terms of external body dimensions. The 2nd gear drive was the only saving grace, rest were not smooth.
Please test drive before you finalize.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:42   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys.. waiting for a road test of the diesel. They have promised me a test drive at the end of the week.

The car I saw was pretty quiet inside.. however you are right, only while driving on road can one get an idea of how silent or how noisy the car actually is.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hi Kunaal,
I test drove Skoda diesel before booking swift. let me tel you honestly about the same.
I felt the car (test drive one 370kms on odo) was making too much noise and was juddering when I changed gears both upshift and downshift as compared to swift and figo.
Please test drive before you finalize.
Anandg, You must be talking about the Fabia with the discontinued PD engine. The new facelifted Fabia comes with the same 1.2 Common Rail engine as the Polo TDi. It's told to be decently refined, all the trademark PD clatter and noise is gone.

The prices have been dropped too because of the higher localisation now, now the Fabia retails for a price slightly lower than the Polo with whom it shares Engine, Transmission and some more bits. The equipment list is not as generous as before but it's not that bad either.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:56   #6
BHPian

Hey Kunaal,

Here is what I think.

Fabia is an excellent proposition. Considering the recent price cuts it is very hard to resist, especially after seeing it in flesh, forget TD!

The only fear is, as evident, higher maintenance cost (compared to Marutis, no brainer!!) and poor *** ( I do not own a skoda, but our chums here can not go wrong).

This ought to be a buy with heart rather than head..
Old 1st November 2010, 19:04   #7
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have been driving Fabia for more than 2 years now. I don't really find any major A.S.S issues as discussed in this forum. I personally feel that exceptional cases can happen with every car company.
In last 2 years, my car went twice to see the doctor for routine check up. Total bill for both was Rs. 9600/-

Also we have our own fabia forum on the internet with all happy fabia users. No major complaints.....
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:08   #8
BANNED

After the price correction of the Facelifted Fabia , Its more attractive option.
Spares are cheap than they were 12 months ago.
No issues with 1.4 TDI ambiente till date.
Annual maint will be around 5000 Rs per year.
Engine cover is a option to tone down noise in Fabia costs over 10 K.

Max upto 6000Rs is you change air/fuel/oil filters every year.
Will prefer 1.2 polo or Fabia diesel over any car in the category.

Suzuki is looking to VW for Diesel engine's so Fabia / Polo anytime better as on date over Swift Diesel.

Last edited by YVES : 2nd November 2010 at 12:11. Reason: engine cover
Old 9th November 2010, 15:53   #9
BHPian

Hey guys finally did a short test drive of the New Fabia 1.2 TDI diesel today. Must say I was impressed. Its no tyre burner but felt more than adequately powered.

The car was reasonably responsive in the earlier rev band in city traffic. The overall fit and finish of the car was very impressive. Found the stories of the excessive turbo lag slightly exaggerated.

Which brings me to the final showdown between the Ford Figo 1.4 TDCI EXI diesel Vs The New Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDI Classic diesel.

The Figo's engine has virtually no turbo lag compared to the Fabia but the Fabia seems a lot more stable and comfortable to drive. The overall fit, finish and interior space of the Fabia makes it feel like one class above the Figo. But then there is considerable price difference between the Figo and the Fabia.

The Figo TDCI EXI costs around Rs 5,67,000 and the new Fabia 1.2 TDI Classic costs around Rs 6,20,000. Both prices are on road Mumbai individual registration. (Both have hardly any discounts at the moment).

The Figo EXI has a music system and front power windows. However the Fabia Classic has a fully adjustable steering wheel (for tilt and reach), a driver side Airbag, rear seat AC vents via a duct below the front seats and a much bigger boot but no power windows and music system.

What do you suggest?
Old 10th November 2010, 09:52   #10

Only saving grace for a Figo is its engine. But then compared to a Fabia 1.2 CRD it may not be vastly superior either. On every other parameter Fabia wins, especially in the long run you will appreciate the premium build quality and cabin space. There is an unmistakable big car feel when you drive a Fabia. Figo feels outright cheap and cost-cutting is evident in every area of the car.
Old 13th November 2010, 11:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I hope i get some info here. I am in the same state as many here. I dont want to start a thread for this. We have decided to add a 3rd car to our garage which is going to be a diesel hatch. We already have the Cedia and Wagon R. Diesel hatch primarily for the inter city runs to industrial estates around Surat & baroda. Taking the cedia every time is not viable in terms of Fuel Economy + Parking space there.

The fixed budget is max 5.5 to 5.75 Ex shwoom.

Since this car is going to be driven by me most of the times but once in a while my parents also would drive her away.

Options short listed are as below :

Car model ( ex-showroom prices)

1. Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.3 (INR 5.25 L)
2. Hyundai i20 1.4 Era CRDI BS-IV (INR 5.71 L)
3. Maruti Suzuki Swift LDi BS-IV (INR 4.97 L)
4. Volkswagen Polo 1.2L Trendline (D) (INR 5.43)

Since this car would be used by all members of the family inputs from all are very important and hence the above list was finalised. Micra, Fabia, Figo & the rest were rejected by mom dad & wifey for some or the other reason.

Would really appreciate if all gurus can help me here.

@kunaalsaigal sorry to raid your thread. But since we are on same stage. Thought would get better feedback here.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 13th November 2010 at 11:37.
Old 13th November 2010, 16:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

If its going to be a work horse for you, Maruti wins hands down as you will need maintenance.

Not sure of VW service in and around Surat/Baroda. So that goes out of my list. I20 and Punto would have a close fight, but I put them behind for the services of Maruti.

Since you will be running to all nooks and alcoves of the city, branding is not something you should be conscious about. Lot of folks would chose I20/Punto purely based on the name and style tags (Not to mention about their performance also).

But if it has to be a work horse, it has to be Maruti. (Even Ritz LDI would be good as ingress/egress would be good for your parents).

Last edited by ampere : 13th November 2010 at 16:52.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If its going to be a work horse for you, Maruti wins hands down as you will need maintenance.

Not sure of VW service in and around Surat/Baroda. So that goes out of my list. I20 and Punto would have a close fight, but I put them behind for the services of Maruti.

Since you will be running to all nooks and alcoves of the city, branding is not something you should be conscious about. Lot of folks would chose I20/Punto purely based on the name and style tags (Not to mention about their performance also).

But if it has to be a work horse, it has to be Maruti. (Even Ritz LDI would be good as ingress/egress would be good for your parents).
+1 to this suggestion.

You already have the Cedia to cater to your social needs. Since this is gonna be a workhorse, forget badging/style and keep running cost as the basic criteria. Opt for the Swift, saves you a bit of green and is cheaper to run/maintain too.
Old 13th November 2010, 23:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

guys,

Thanks for your input. This hatch is going to be primarily used by me and gonna have me and my wife as occupants on most occasions. I am personally inclined towards Punto. Not sure of its upkeep costs thoug. But when i compared the costs of swift LDi v/s Punto active. I found punto more VFM.

Thats my personal opinion and to be honest i find punto more attractive than swift. I mean swift has been on roads for a long time. No offence to anyone.
Old 14th November 2010, 02:48   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
guys,

Thanks for your input. This hatch is going to be primarily used by me and gonna have me and my wife as occupants on most occasions. I am personally inclined towards Punto. Not sure of its upkeep costs thoug. But when i compared the costs of swift LDi v/s Punto active. I found punto more VFM.

Thats my personal opinion and to be honest i find punto more attractive than swift. I mean swift has been on roads for a long time. No offence to anyone.
I know you will say that and that esp for the Punto! Even I was finding it hard to suggest you the Swift. I guess you should buy what your heart says, with a tinge of suggestions from the mind!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks