Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Vs. Chevrolet Spark

A Spark anyday. Nano is a good car, but if you can afford a Spark then there is no comparison on the drive and the looks of a Spark when compared to a Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mp View Post
Hi BHPians!
My first post here! I am considering getting a Spark for myself - I am a lady who is still practising driving, by the way.
I hope I am bumping the right thread and not hijacking somebody else's! (Did not want to create a new one since there seems to be many for Spark already, but MODS - please move as appropriate if needed).
I would like to pick your brains to understand if this is the right car for me. I will need this to drive to work everyday (around 20 kms in total). It has to be easy to drive as I am a novice (my husband is gracefully and oh so patiently teaching me and letting me practice on our SX4 ).
So, I was wondering how easy is it to handle Spark in terms of its dimensions, maneuverability, turning etc. for a new driver?
Also, I will be parking this outside our home as we can only park one in our porch and husband's SX4 will definitely get the upper hand , so would white be a good choice? (I have my heart set on this color)
We are going through my husband's office (which has a tie-up with a leasing company) and on-road cost comes to around 3.7L for 2011 model of Spark 1.0 PS non-metallic (includes CPCO, body color paint on the bumpers and two OVRMs, floor mats and no insurance as this is covered by the lease guys). We are dealing with Kropex, Bangalore - the one on Hosur Road. Is this a good deal? Please let me know what you all think!
Spark, or as a matter of fact all hatches are easy to handle in terms of maneuverabilty Spark specially so as it is smaller than most of the hatches available ( I have driven its ancestor, the Matiz), and since you are learning on a SX4 it would be a piece of cake after that, but just be careful of the low seating and ground clearence that the Spark will have after moving from a SX4 . As far as the colour goes, Matiz looks best in Red, but it is a matter of personal choice.

All the best

Last edited by m_upreti : 3rd February 2011 at 16:10.
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

@s_mp
Yup, looks like you made the right choice. I have Aug 2009 Spark which completed around 21000+ KM as on date. There are atleast 5 Chevy sparks I know which are driven by my rel/friends and all are happy with its performance. Its fun and easy to drive in city except for the minor gear shifting issues. Slotting in reverse gear was an issue in the beginning but improved after first service.

White looks good, but check my red spark on TBHP garage :-)

You can also check Alto K10 if you are interested. Its better to check the options available before making final call.

3.7 L on-road price you mentioned incl insurance? I think quoted price is bit on higher side (I do not know the latest price). Try to push the dealer for some more freebies like basic stereo/central lock/cover etc.

Last edited by Latheesh : 3rd February 2011 at 16:16.
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

This is a very simple no brainer actually.

A spark is a car in its full sense and you are not compromising on any features, whereas the Nano, standing true to its purpose, takes a cut on a lot of factors. Very thin seats, limited space, not so safe in an accident, different tyre size, and so on.

The Spark is a very nice and wonderful car to have with adequate power and very very compact for city driving. It cant get more city than this. I personally lke the car in black as well.

But the end result is that the Spark is truly and far better a car

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 3rd February 2011 at 16:18.
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:17   #49
BHPian

I own a spark for over a year and have experience with NANO a bit.

Ff budget is not constraint than SPARK it is.Relative to Nano Spark is More pratical, More reliable, Very refined, Spacious enough(doesnt look like that though from outside), Can easily do 100.

If you want to have bit of fun and also be practical than SPARK it is.
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians!

My first post here! I am considering getting a Spark for myself - I am a lady who is still practising driving, by the way.
Welcome to TBHP

Quote:
I hope I am bumping the right thread and not hijacking somebody else's! (Did not want to create a new one since there seems to be many for Spark already, but MODS - please move as appropriate if needed).

I would like to pick your brains to understand if this is the right car for me. I will need this to drive to work everyday (around 20 kms in total). It has to be easy to drive as I am a novice (my husband is gracefully and oh so patiently teaching me and letting me practice on our SX4 ).
You are either a very lucky woman or he has something up his sleeve

Quote:
So, I was wondering how easy is it to handle Spark in terms of its dimensions, maneuverability, turning etc. for a new driver?
You could not ask for a car better suited for in-city usage.

Quote:
Also, I will be parking this outside our home as we can only park one in our porch and husband's SX4 will definitely get the upper hand , so would white be a good choice? (I have my heart set on this color)
Go right ahead with the white and do not worry. Chevys have great build and paint quality so nothing to worry about leaving your baby out under the open skies.

Quote:
We are going through my husband's office (which has a tie-up with a leasing company) and on-road cost comes to around 3.7L for 2011 model of Spark 1.0 PS non-metallic (includes CPCO, body color paint on the bumpers and two OVRMs, floor mats and no insurance as this is covered by the lease guys). We are dealing with Kropex, Bangalore - the one on Hosur Road. Is this a good deal?

Please let me know what you all think!
The 1.0PS is currently priced at 294/- short of 3,40000/- ex showroom Bangalore. Add road tax @10%?? insurance other miscellaneous including cost of painting the bumpers and the ORVMs(max 10K on the higher side) and 3.7L looks like a par for the course deal.

Now AFAIK sparks have a cash discount of nearly 25~30K in Dilli on the 2011 models and then there is discount to be had from the Insurance guys say 2~3 K given that there may not be any old NCB (I hope you are opting for the 0%depreciation policy) In which case you could talk to your dealer or the lease company and find out what happened to the cash discount (which might be lower than what is available in Dilli). Mind you the three year maintenance package is independent of the cash discount.

If I were buying this car I would leave the bumpers, door handles and the ORVMs stock as I like the contrast between the black bumpers and the white body panels, but that is me. One can always get them painted a year down the line after one emerges a better driver and it is time to cover up the accumulated bits and bytes gifted by fellow citizens of the digital city.
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:04   #51

Talk about so much changing in so little time!

Thank you, everyone for all the suggestions, but something just came up. Husband did some math with what's being offered by the leasing company and also considering some of you mentioning the on road price does not seem that great, now it looks like going through office/leasing company is not the best way. The rate is only slightly better than what the banks are offering and there is also the hassle of changing registration from office to self later (at which point atleast on papers we would be the second owner).

I was looking at a new car only because we are going through office, if we drop that the option of second hand is also wide open.

What do you all think? In case of second hand car budget would be 2-3L, and I personally prefer Santro for the build quality of Hyundai. Or would a second hand Spark make sense from a maintenace perspective (I know re-sale would be pathetic even for a second hand car, so none for third!)Already own an SX4 so no issues with Maruti as such but cant think of a car in this range that I like (don't find Alto/Wagon R that appealing for some reason!)

OR should I still go for a new Spark (loan/self-finance), though not sure how much the rate will come down (they are willing to offer an extra 10K discount for a 2010 model though)

Help
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:09   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Welcome to TBHP

You are either a very lucky woman or he has something up his sleeve
he just happens to be a really nice guy who also can't eait for me to be independent enough so he does not have to chauffer me around!
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:09   #53
BHPian

Hi S mp,
Spark is very good value for money.It has been winning best IQS award by JD Power for last three years.Chevrolet Spark wins JD award for fourth time. This speaks volumes about its fit and finish. In addition you get no maintenance / service costs for 3 good years. Its handling and drive should be perfect for you.Why don't you take a test ride? Try Alto also. With new engine it makes a strong case for itself.

Happy revving
Old 4th February 2011, 09:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Husband did some math with what's being offered by the leasing company and also considering some of you mentioning the on road price does not seem that great, now it looks like going through office/leasing company is not the best way. The rate is only slightly better than what the banks are offering and there is also the hassle of changing registration from office to self later (at which point atleast on papers we would be the second owner).
It's good that you guys figured out the true value proposition of leasing quickly, rather than later. I have burnt my fingers once, and never ever again. The bad on road price could have been because the price negotiation was being done by the leasing guys.
Quote:
OR should I still go for a new Spark (loan/self-finance), though not sure how much the rate will come down (they are willing to offer an extra 10K discount for a 2010 model though)

Help
It is still early in the year, pick up a late 2010 model with good discounts and get a 2011 registration. It will work out fine.

Go for a new Spark. We just purchased one for someone in our family 20 days pack. It was the 1.0 LS, and it came within 3.42 Lacs On Road, with Insurance, Registration and Gear Lock, Central Lock, Stereo, Speakers, Seat Covers and Foot Mats. I have had a Matix at home for the last 8 years, and the platform is reliable to the hilt, and still fun to drive around. The Spark, is so much better than the MAtiz in almost every respect. And, the maintenance package it comes with, is not bad at all.
So, go ahead and buy the Spark. You'll enjoy it for a number of years.
Old 4th February 2011, 11:35   #55
BHPian

Hi

Avoid Nano, buy any second hand cars, I had a preowned santro and my neighbour has bought a pre owned spark.
They are much much better than the brand new nano my wife has bought.

Bye
Old 4th February 2011, 14:18   #56
BHPian

Spark according to me. Never felt Nano is much of a car.
Old 4th February 2011, 15:45   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Talk about so much changing in so little time!

I was looking at a new car only because we are going through office, if we drop that the option of second hand is also wide open.

What do you all think? In case of second hand car budget would be 2-3L, and I personally prefer Santro for the build quality of Hyundai. Or would a second hand Spark make sense from a maintenace perspective
Help
Have you taken up Nano for consideration at any point of time ?
If yes , why you dropped the idea ? Let us know the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
Hi
Avoid Nano, buy any second hand cars, I had a preowned santro and my neighbour has bought a pre owned spark.
They are much much better than the brand new nano my wife has bought.
Bye
"much much better" in what sense ? For a price difference of ~1.50 Grands

IMHO for the price Nano is truly VFM, does most of things all right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Never felt Nano is much of a car.
5,000 odd people feel Nano to be OK car PER MONTH.

For 20-30 Kms per day( in city ) IMHO NANO does make sense at a much lower price point.

Cheers

Last edited by sanagg1 : 4th February 2011 at 15:47.
Old 4th February 2011, 18:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

@sridhga - I am a latecomer to this thread but agree with some of the posts that there is no realy comparison possible between the 2 cars considering the price point. Considering that this is a 2 month old thread was curious to know your decision? Have you picked up Nano/Spark ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Hi all,

1.I am looking for a good city car.
2.Usage for going to office, running around for groceries, bank etc. Nothing else(No long distance drives).
3.I am yet to decide between Nano and Chevy Spark.
4.But I want the car to last long say 6-7 years.
5.Resale value is not important.
6.Both cars are within my budget.
7.I liked the looks of both these cars. So not interested in other cars.
8.I am not interested in image etc as I don't need to prove anything to people around me. Should be good and comfy car carrying me around in the city traffic, summers, rains, time constraints clogged roads, traffic jams, etc. My city drives last 20 to 30 km one way.
9.I give more importance to practicality and longevity of the car.
10.Myself or other family members including women could be using this car.

Need your opinion between the two.

I dont want to be rude, but want to be clear that I am not looking for opinions of Tata bashers. I am just looking for practical advice.

Love to see views of actual users of these cars.

Mods: By mistake I posted this thread in the Indian Car Scene Sub-forum. Please move it to Hatchbacks.
Old 4th February 2011, 18:17   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Have you taken up Nano for consideration at any point of time ?
If yes , why you dropped the idea ? Let us know the reason.

"much much better" in what sense ? For a price difference of ~1.50 Grands

IMHO for the price Nano is truly VFM, does most of things all right.

5,000 odd people feel Nano to be OK car PER MONTH.

For 20-30 Kms per day( in city ) IMHO NANO does make sense at a much lower price point.

Cheers
Thanks for the input, sanagg1. Well, nano was under consideration but once Spark came into the picture we kind of got set on that. I guess the little guy can do that to you

Also, the fact that nano does not have PS was a turn off too as I have not driven one without it and not sure if it would work for me so..but yes its a real good car at that price no doubt, just does'nt suit my needs at this point
Old 4th February 2011, 18:44   #60

So, looks like Spark it is!

We talked some more to Kropex and after all discounts/offers the best they are offering for a 2011 model is 3,70,500 on road (includes insurance and cpco). I was wrong earlier when I said they are including bumper-mirror body color paint job + LOVRM + central locking within this. They want an extra 6K for these, so the final price is 376500!

So we also talked to Trident Chevy at Jaya nagar and they happen to have a 2010 White PS. Their offer is 3,52,000 on road and an extra 8K for bumper-mirror body color paint job + LOVRM + central locking. We might just decide on the trident offer and choose not to do the paint job for now as some of you suggested (we plan on keeping the car for as long as possible so not worried about the car being older).

Looks like the deal isn't going to get better than this, we have not talked to Sundaram yet, and might not either. Anybody knows if in Bangalore its possible to get a better deal than this? And any thoughts on Trident Jaya nagar? We will be there tomorrow to talk some more so I will be updating.

Thanks again, everyone. This is really helping!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks