Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2011, 00:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Vs. Chevrolet Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mp View Post
So, looks like Spark it is!

So we also talked to Trident Chevy at Jaya nagar and they happen to have a 2010 White PS. Their offer is 3,52,000 on road and an extra 8K for bumper-mirror body color paint job + LOVRM + central locking. We might just decide on the trident offer and choose not to do the paint job for now as some of you suggested (we plan on keeping the car for as long as possible so not worried about the car being older).

Looks like the deal isn't going to get better than this, we have not talked to Sundaram yet, and might not either. Anybody knows if in Bangalore its possible to get a better deal than this?
I am puzzled there is a third dealer in town but you do not want to talk to them and then you are wondering if you could get someone to better the deal that the second dealer offered.

Pick up the phone and get yourself a deal better or worse who cares but atleast you will know once you call. If you don't well you can always wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mp View Post
And any thoughts on Trident Jaya nagar? We will be there tomorrow to talk some more so I will be updating.

Thanks again, everyone. This is really helping!
See it is a 2010 model and it is now February. They have not been able to move the car for nearly a month. I think you can get atleast the LORVM and the central locking at a better price than what has initially been offered to you and oh get them to include floor mats and mud flaps. See next month is FY closing, means they have to sell it between now and 31.03. Let them smell the money, carry your cheque book and let them have a look. Don't show but let them know/look. I know sounds sort of cheesy but these things work with the auto guys.

You have not mentioned anything about the three year warranty and complete maintenance package. Trust that is being offered as it is standard from the company and separate from any discounts/freebies that the dealers offer.
Old 28th February 2011, 14:09   #62

@khoj - Have to say you did embarass me into talkling to Sundaram to get their quote.

So, with the quotes from all three (Trident, Kropex and Sundaram), Trident still made sense and they were the only ones who had a 2010 white Spark PS, so decided on that (Sundaram was not very responsive, their quote was not as attractive as Trident's or Kropex's and they said they will give a call and never did for a long time and finally when they did, it was after we already booked from Trident). Kropex was better to deal with and we found Trident a little arrogant but Kropex did not have the color we wanted at the price that Trident was quoting so decided to stick to them (I guess Maruti sort of spoils you on the customer service front! )

So, we finally paid 3.6L on-road for Spark PS (this includes 3 years free maintenance, bumper, mirror paint, LOVRM, mud flaps, floor mats, idol, perfume. (they also gave a box of chocolates, chevy mascot during home delivery).

Thanks everyone who helped us take this decison, I am absolutely loving the new guy!

Last edited by bblost : 1st March 2011 at 09:17. Reason: Please refer the announcements section on how to upload pics on team-bhp. Thanks.
Old 28th February 2011, 22:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate! ^^^ Make sure you properly run her in. It should give you long years of good service if you want that.
Old 1st March 2011, 07:36   #64
BHPian

@s_mp

1. Congrats ! for the new car
2. Congrats for choosing after carefully considering all options
3. Congratulations for having the "little guy" you fall in love.

Happy and safe driving for many miles and years

Cheers
Old 1st March 2011, 08:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

You have made a great choice. Its a relatively trouble free car, except for minor niggles here and there. You will love to come out of the service workshop every time without paying a singe paisa when your peers spend a tidy sum every time they take their cars in for service. Now the problem is I am trying to find a diesel hatch and am unable to take a decision simply because of the seemingly prohibitive service costs which may have looked reasonable before owing the Spark. These free services have really spoilt me.
Old 1st March 2011, 13:45   #66
BHPian

Hi sridhga,

Not sure if you have already booked or got your car as yet. Just read the first post and directly typed this reply.

I have a Spark in my family. It is almost a year old now and has done around 10K on odo.

My experience with this car has been good so far.

Five of us, A.C on speed two and have done a lot of ghat section drives. The car does pull it off at ease. Also, the boot is decent enough to hold up a few bags for the weekend drive. Also, the after sales experience has been good and did not get a chance to complain. Only thing is that I have travel around 20 KM to for the service center. (Last time I got it picked by the servicing guys and had noted the odo reading. The car was not misused.)

Not sure, if Nano can also gie you the same benefits. Have never driven or sat in one!

My vote would surely go in for the Spark for the joy of driving it in the city and highways, both.

Cheers!
Old 14th March 2012, 10:48   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
You have made a great choice. Its a relatively trouble free car, except for minor niggles here and there. You will love to come out of the service workshop every time without paying a singe paisa when your peers spend a tidy sum every time they take their cars in for service. Now the problem is I am trying to find a diesel hatch and am unable to take a decision simply because of the seemingly prohibitive service costs which may have looked reasonable before owing the Spark. These free services have really spoilt me.
Me Too :-).

If you are not much bothered about warrenty, go for Closed Loop CNG kit. total VFM and a Green Fuel.

I did it for my spark/car without bothering about warrenty, no issues till date at all.
Old 15th March 2012, 13:36   #68
BHPian

What is this kit ? Is there any factory option (LPG/CNG). How is spark as comparable to Wagon R Duo ?
Old 17th December 2012, 14:39   #69
BHPian

Thanks guys. Finally, I settled for Mohito Green Special Edition Nano.
Old 8th April 2013, 19:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Thanks guys. Finally, I settled for Mohito Green Special Edition Nano.
Yahoo! another fellow Nano-ite.Believe me Man, I didn't see this thread before,otherwise would have told this to you earlier.
I own both the cars:A 2012 Nano LX and 2010 Spark Music edition.The spark sits at Kerala,while I drive the Nano around Bangalore.My family has now deserted the spark completely since the Mileage is Pathetic.After 3 years, the service people did a 6000rs job and the vehicle isn't any better for it.The space of a Nano is comparable to the Spark.mileage,driveability,looks,AC,VFM,the Nano is miles ahead.Perfect vehicle for the city.BTW I've done the Blr-kottayam run 2.5 times on the Nano!
Regs
Nijelj
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 15:44   #71
BHPian

I am downgrading - what cars to consider?

A little background since this post may be slightly different from others.

Exactly seven years ago, I had asked Team BHP for help in selecting my first car between Swift and Palio. Based on the response and driving experience, I ended up buying Palio 1.6 Sports. It was a great purchase and I still love the sheer drivability of the car.

Circumstances have changed in the meanwhile - which has led me to reexamine the whole car question:
1. Two small kids => engine power has taken a back seat to safety and road manners. I am content to let a Nano overtake me these days
2. Bangalore traffic has increased exponentially. I find myself preferring a ride in a Volvo to driving myself
3. Added responsibilities have reduced the inter-city drives to a mere trickle (once in 2 years or so)
4. Fiat stopping Palio sales and the future of Tata-Fiat partnership. A harrowing service at Chennai recently also adds to this

Given this, I am thinking of exchanging my Palio for a PointA-PointB city car. The exterior or the style/prestige factors are not important.

The following are my requirements in the order of importance:
1. Low cost => low initial cost, low running expenses, low maintenance
2. Drivability in the city => Slightly fuzzy factor but I think you get it. One should enjoy driving the car and not wish for a chaffeur
3. Hassle free ownership => opposite of Fiat's A.S.S
4. Decent interiors
5. Longevity => expect to use it for next 10 years
6. Budget => Ideally, I would like to pay the least but can review based on a strong rating in #1-5 above

Tata Nano and Hyundai Eon seem to fit the bill. What are your thoughts? Are there any other cars I should consider?

Best Regards,
Anand

ps:
The following thread looks similar to my requirements but there are small differences in the order:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...let-spark.html
Old 24th June 2013, 16:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Re: I am downgrading - what cars to consider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandab View Post
A little background since this post may be slightly different from others.

Exactly seven years ago, I had asked Team BHP for help in selecting my first car between Swift and Palio. Based on the response and driving experience, I ended up buying Palio 1.6 Sports. It was a great purchase and I still love the sheer drivability of the car.

Circumstances have changed in the meanwhile - which has led me to reexamine the whole car question:
1. Two small kids => engine power has taken a back seat to safety and road manners. I am content to let a Nano overtake me these days
2. Bangalore traffic has increased exponentially. I find myself preferring a ride in a Volvo to driving myself
3. Added responsibilities have reduced the inter-city drives to a mere trickle (once in 2 years or so)
4. Fiat stopping Palio sales and the future of Tata-Fiat partnership. A harrowing service at Chennai recently also adds to this

Given this, I am thinking of exchanging my Palio for a PointA-PointB city car. The exterior or the style/prestige factors are not important.

The following are my requirements in the order of importance:
1. Low cost => low initial cost, low running expenses, low maintenance
2. Drivability in the city => Slightly fuzzy factor but I think you get it. One should enjoy driving the car and not wish for a chaffeur
3. Hassle free ownership => opposite of Fiat's A.S.S
4. Decent interiors
5. Longevity => expect to use it for next 10 years
6. Budget => Ideally, I would like to pay the least but can review based on a strong rating in #1-5 above

Tata Nano and Hyundai Eon seem to fit the bill. What are your thoughts? Are there any other cars I should consider?

Best Regards,
Anand

ps:
The following thread looks similar to my requirements but there are small differences in the order:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...let-spark.html
Points 1,2,3,6 - What about the Alto K10? If something more recent, then maybe the Beat? Though its too funky for me
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 16:31   #73
Senior - BHPian

Alto K10 and Hyundai Eon meet your requirements. I do not know about reliability of Chevy.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 16:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion please stay from both the options.

1. Tata nano is a pain at parking speeds with no power steering.
2. Hyundai eon has pathetic FE and cramped on space, you should also consider space as since you have two kids, it will require more space.

What is the actual reason for selling the 1.6 Sports? Is the low FE bothersome? I would actually suggest that you stick with the 1.6 Sports unless you want to get rid of it.

Why not look at the pre-owned route for some options?
Old 24th June 2013, 16:52   #75
BHPian

If your Palio isn't unreliable, you should keep it and find a good independent workshop for it. Unless you've already crossed 2lakh kilometers on the car, I see no reason why the engine wouldn't last longer. It's only 7 years old, and given that you don't seem to bother about the looks, I'm sure you can continue to drive it for another 7 years. Just remind yourself of all the agony and stress that arose from you trying to avoid scratches and dents. You have none of that with your current car.

The lowest initial cost is no cost and given that the resale value of Fiat vehicles is low, why not just drive it to the ground?

If safety is the only reason for the up(down)grade, then I suggest you read this.

At the cost of repeating myself for the second time today, I would suggest you avoid buying a Beat for city driving. Ergonomics and riding position are not suitable for Indian cities and the petrol engine is virtually non-existent with AC on.

Most Viewed