Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:38   #1
BHPian

Tata Nano Vs. Chevrolet Spark

Hi all,

1.I am looking for a good city car.
2.Usage for going to office, running around for groceries, bank etc. Nothing else(No long distance drives).
3.I am yet to decide between Nano and Chevy Spark.
4.But I want the car to last long say 6-7 years.
5.Resale value is not important.
6.Both cars are within my budget.
7.I liked the looks of both these cars. So not interested in other cars.
8.I am not interested in image etc as I don't need to prove anything to people around me. Should be good and comfy car carrying me around in the city traffic, summers, rains, time constraints clogged roads, traffic jams, etc. My city drives last 20 to 30 km one way.
9.I give more importance to practicality and longevity of the car.
10.Myself or other family members including women could be using this car.

Need your opinion between the two.

I dont want to be rude, but want to be clear that I am not looking for opinions of Tata bashers. I am just looking for practical advice.

Love to see views of actual users of these cars.

Mods: By mistake I posted this thread in the Indian Car Scene Sub-forum. Please move it to Hatchbacks.

Last edited by sridhga : 2nd December 2010 at 15:48.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:43   #2
BHPian

Though I am not owner of both of the cars, but based on test drives and your need, blindly go ahead with Nano. It's best and you'll save money in buying + operational expenses.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:53   #3
BHPian

I own the Spark but haven't been through the Nano in detail. The Spark is a good car with a great engine (its super smooth) and good overall ownership experience. However, I suggest you take the Nano over the Spark for the reasons stated below

1. City car - Although the Spark is fine even as an all-rounder, the Nano is better for your use as mentioned above.

2.With respect to reliability, the Spark will easily last 10-15 years of hard abuse and take even more but I believe the Nano is meant to last a decade at the max. So for you, it makes perfect sense. You arent worried about resale either.

3. Practicality - Nano is good unless you use the boot. You need to use the rear seats for storage. Spark's practicality is as good as any other hatchback. The Nano will be easier to drive than the Spark but there is nothing more to it. Both are light and zippy around town.

All in all, if I already own a better car and look for an easy to drive car for the city, its got to be the Nano.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:56   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I own neither
but have driven and been a passenger in both.

Recommend the Nano - Better on space, newer car, newer technology, money saved. Good for within City drive.

By the way your second choise is also good, spark too is a good car, and both do look good and both come with a good warranty.

If the sound of the engine matters than Spark would be better, from rear seat comfort point of view Nano is better.

Recommend Black colour in Spark and golden colour in Nano.

Nano top model would definatly be better than Spark base model if that is the thought process.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would still go in for a Spark. Nano is way too many compromises for a car. What ever the nano can do the Spark can do better. IMHO it has to be a Spark especially when you can easily afford it and you do not have any budgetary constraints.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:15   #6
BHPian

I own a Spark and can speak for the car. Nano shouldnt even be compared with Spark. They are cars from different segment. Spark is 1L ltr engine and way more superior car in terms of build, ride quality, top speed and overall value for money. My comments are not biased. Even if i had not owned Spark, my comments would have been exactly the same. This is a no brainer. Buy a Spark!
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would say spark. On an occasional tour, you will appreciate the capabilities of 1L engine. Spark offered at the price level makes it very worthwhile, if you are not considering A.S.S. availability or resale.

EDIT: Why not a poll?
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:21   #8
BHPian

No comparison, if your budget allows, then the SPARK is waaaay better on all aspects (except maybe FE).

And it will serve you well on highways too if you want it to.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

I own Spark and it clocked ~ 19K KM in 15 months. Done many long distance drives and never dissappointed me. Plus its an excellent city car and fun to drive.

Looking at your requirement - If you are OK keeping groceries at back seat go for YELLOW NANO LX variant.

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd December 2010 at 16:29.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both are good city cars.

Quote:
2.Usage for going to office, running around for groceries, bank etc. Nothing else(No long distance drives).
Both are good for the purpose.

Quote:
Not sure about Nano, but Spark will last that much.

Quote:
6.Both cars are within my budget.
Overall Spark is better then Nano. If no budget issues, its Spark.

Quote:
7.I liked the looks of both these cars. So not interested in other cars.
IMO, on road Nano gets more attention then any other small car. I love the way it looks.

Quote:
Spark for the boot space.

Finally, If I have no budget constraints and want a 'better car', I would go for Spark.

Last edited by HammerHead : 2nd December 2010 at 16:35.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

I own a Nano and I did consider the Spark while buying it, but I felt Nano scored over the Spark for my requirement.
Spark is more spacious and can be used for a family weekend trip, Nano on the other hand will be cramped with a family in it and accompanying luggage.
Buy a Nano if you are only commuting in the city with a max of 4 people. Long distance drives could be a bother with the Nano.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Yes, both Nano & Spark are suitable

Quote:
Again, Nano & Spark are suitable

Quote:
Can't say Nano, but Spark WILL last

Quote:
5.Resale value is not important.
Ok, neither of them have

Quote:
Not sure, but I heard GM gives 3 years some kind of service free or 0 ownership cost or something like that; you may want to consider that.

Quote:
10.Myself or other family members including women could be using this car.
Both are suitable

Quote:
I dont want to be rude, but want to be clear that I am not looking for opinions of Tata bashers. I am just looking for practical advice.
Thinking through brain - Buy Nano, save approx 2+ Lakhs; even if you Nano conks off in 3-4 years, you still have money to buy another Nano. Which means, you can afford almost 2 Nano's for 1 Spark.

Thinking through heart - You'll miss those power windows, bigger better seats, comfy ride (13" wheel compared to 12"), better engineering, power steering.

Choose what you need in long run. Good luck!!!
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:44   #13
BHPian

I will always recommend Spark between Nano as Spark is a perfect small car with front engine with higher CC plus comfort,safety & better warranty you can also read the seprate thread for the reasons for the falling sales of Nano which proves its failure, only initiall hype helped its sales also IMO i always see a similarity in between the Tata ACE, MAGIC and NANO all rear engined which puts Nano look like a load carrier further the car catching fire IMO is not properly attended, If you still bet on Nano i recommend you to buy 1 or 2 fire extinguishers for your safety plus better Life Insurance. You can wait for the launch of the Suzuki 660 CC small car sheduled for the coming year which is also in the same price bracket.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 2nd December 2010 at 17:54.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:56   #14
BHPian

Oh C'mon, you can't compare them. Spark it is if you got a few $$ more. If you are really pressed for money, then maybe the Nano. The Nano Europa with the 3 cylinder engine and a longer wheelbase could probably be compared to Spark. But this Nano, No way. They just have similar looking lights man. Doesn't mean you compare them
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:58   #15
BHPian

leaving aside everything the "3-years maintenance freepackage of GM" tilts the scales heavily in favour of spark.
In my apartment complex where around hundred cars are there, Spark has dethroned Alto as the most common car in the last 1 year and everyone's reason for it is the maintenance package.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks