Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 15:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20, Volkswagen Polo or Honda Jazz?

vebmetal

Was in a similar dillema - i20 Asta Petrol, GP MJD Emo+ & Jazz.
For me, it was quite close between the GP & Jazz.

Last friday, drove home the Jazz.
The current discounts did help, but even then its expensive for the features it lacks.

But is the car is super - drives best amongst the 3, most space, excellent interiors, visibility, built quality, very very silent. And turns a lot of heads.

One life. Be serious !!! Buy the car that makes you most happy.

cheers
lazy
Old 17th December 2010, 15:57   #32
BHPian

I hate my situation - we didn't like the Polo, the i20 petrol is to underpowered, the i20 diesel is too expensive (8L for Asta!) and the Jazz is also too expensive (8L+ for Jazz X). So that effectively rules out all my options. I am now going to get a horse-cart. It's cheap and gives great mileage, though the turbo lag is a bit of a problem.

So is there any way to improve the looks of the Figo? I tried finding pics of modified Figos but no luck. Why the hell couldn't Ford have made it a good looking car?
Old 17th December 2010, 19:28   #33
BHPian

hey vebmetal going by your OP I assume you have test driven only petrol GP.. and going through the rest of your post I read that now you are considering a diesel Figo.. How about you now even TD diesel Punto..?

You are holding back your decision of going for a Figo as you don't like the looks and can't oversee absence of rear power windows. IMHO Punto looks better than Figo and got rear power windows right from the Dynamic variant..

And why don't you try to appreciate the looks of Punto for once?? It will start to grow on you.. Even I wanna replace my Swift VDI and my option was to either go for a Punto Diesel or Jazz..

Jazz is too expensive so Punto it is for me.. And you can't judge a car based on the TD vehicle. They are very badly maintained.. So do try to at least take a decent TD in Punto before you decide on any car.. And as your budget is upto 7.5 lacs I can't understand why haven't you yet selected the Jazz?? You have to let go off few things like a usb port and fog lamps.. You can't let their absence from the features change your decision.. Absence of rear power window is a decision changing factor and not a USB port.. Fog lamps can be purchased later.. Use a CD instead of a USB port..

I would have done that had my budget permitted me to.. And I accept that we BHPians place too much importance on even minor details.. This way you wouldn't be able to buy a car at all.. Every car got one or the other problem. It would be really difficult to ever buy the perfect car..

Though your budget is allowing you to buy The Perfect Car Jazz...

Last edited by psbali : 17th December 2010 at 19:32. Reason: more points added..
Old 17th December 2010, 19:39   #34
BHPian

For a budget of 7.5 why not test drive the Toyota Etios as well. It has ABS Airbags version in that range i guess.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
I hate my situation - we didn't like the Polo, the i20 petrol is to underpowered, the i20 diesel is too expensive (8L for Asta!) and the Jazz is also too expensive (8L+ for Jazz X). So that effectively rules out all my options. I am now going to get a horse-cart. It's cheap and gives great mileage, though the turbo lag is a bit of a problem.

So is there any way to improve the looks of the Figo? I tried finding pics of modified Figos but no luck. Why the hell couldn't Ford have made it a good looking car?
I don't know about older BSIII variants but the BS IV i20 petrol is not under-powered. The only down-side with the engine is a rather poor second gear especially when going up an incline with a decent load. But on the open road it is really nippy, I have personally measured the 0-100 time to be under 14 seconds . However the steering rattle is a real issue especially if your roads are bad, you can have the whole set replaced and it would still return !. The performance on a straight line is comparable to the K 12 Swift/Ritz. The AC however is terrible and be prepared to invest on some good sunflims(even that don't help much on a hot Kerala day). I also drive a K12 swift (my uncle's) regularly and can assure you that it is not any faster than the i20 1.2.

Having said that I test-drove the new Fabia with a friend recently and it is brilliant and fully loaded as well. Its cheaper than the Polo and has much more room at the rear.
Old 19th December 2010, 00:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go:
KitUp! Automotive
Old 20th December 2010, 22:12   #37
BHPian

Apples to Oranges ??

Hitching on the same thread as my dilemma is similar but it is between Punto 90HP versus the Jazz Select. After the massive discount which is being offered, the Jazz Select should come to about 7.6 OTR and the GP will also be in the same ballpark. I do agree that it is not a fair comparison between a petrol and diesel car but similar pricing is what brings the two in contention - at least for me. Mind you I am not considering i20 and Polo.

Following are my thoughts about the two cars.

Jazz:
+Ves
1. Premium feel all around
2. Excellent all-round view
3. Fun and easy to drive practical city car
4. Loads of space
5. Hassle free running for years together/ Minimal maintenance
6. Nice music system is a bonus

-Ves
1. Light build. Not the most confidence inspiring on highway speeds
2. Potentially high spares cost (not sure, existing owners may advise)
3. No USB/ Fog Lamps

Punto:
+Ves
1. Ride and handling, tank like build
2. Diesel Economy
3. Loaded with features
4. Over the top A$$ efforts by Fiat

-Ves
1. Fit and finish
2. Messed up ergonomics
3. Not so generous rear space
4. Crappy music system though not a deal breaker

All considerations aside, the future of Jazz as a product is what bothers me. What will Honda do about this slow moving model? The way things are going, we may even see the product being discontinued in India.

I plan to keep the car for at least 5 years and maybe more.What will happen to spares/A$$ for the model is the thought which keeps bothering me.

On most counts except ride quality, Jazz seems to be the one to go for. But for the concern mentioned above
Old 20th December 2010, 22:56   #38
BHPian

^^@ vivek, I don't think spares for the Jazz will be a problem, because i think it shares alot of its components with the Honda City(one of the main reasons its so expensive in the first place) so if you like the car, and you can afford it, I would say go for it.Having a ten year OHC, almost 4year old civic in the house, I can safely say honda is the way to go!
I'm not against the punto, I'm just for the Jazz!
Old 20th December 2010, 23:30   #39
BHPian

@gvivek75
i feel if you are going to spend above 7 lac's on a hatchback and don't really have an inclination towards a diesel or a petrol car, i would suggest you go for the jazz.
particularly because its extremely reliable and refined and comes with an active Honda after sales support.
As you plan to keep the car for 5 years or more it makes even more sense.
it now comes with a 4 year warranty as standard if i am not wrong, so this should keep the after sales expenses to the minimum.
As it is not much goes wrong with a Honda.
i don't feel you should be too worried regards the spare parts availability, the city and accord both have gone under dramatic model changes but the spares are still very much available.
trust me if you want absolute peace of mind and a premium hatch, the jazz is the way to go.

but if you want diesel economy and a hatch that provides ride comfort like none others do, go for the punto.

there are pretty extensive ownership threads on both cars, will be very helpful in providing you detailed info on both.
Old 21st December 2010, 02:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents worth:
The best car of the three is the Polo
+ Ride, handling, great looker
- paint job issues

the i20 is the one with all the bells and whistles
+ features, design, torque
- known issues with steering

the jazz is the one with snob value
+ comfort, classy interiors
- for this price you will get a diesel !

at the end of the day, try to ignore the price and pick the best of the three. then you can think of the extra amount you have to pay over priority no. 2 and decide if its worth it.
Old 21st December 2010, 06:21   #41
BHPian

My two cents - Go for Jazz. You get good discounts - Official 55000 and then combine it with Corporate discount and Free insurance and you are nearly at 75000 to 80000 discount. You can get the select model at 7.5 lac on road. Very spacious and a reliable and proven engine.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:15   #42
BHPian

Just had a second test drive of the Figo. I certainly loves the pep the car has. But it seriously scores low in the looks department (exterior and interior). Added to that the wife is not so keen on a diesel engine as it's not so silent.

Tried getting atest drive of the Jazz again, and again Honda did not fail to disappoint - the showroomk people totally @#$@#ed the experience. While I scheduled the TD for 3pm (which they confirmed again and again), the guy landed up only at 5:30pm by which time I had left. With the fact that the Jazz is a niche buy can they really afford to ignore / mistreat customers like this? On the flip side, the Ford showroom was extremely friendly and ready to give me a second test drive even at 6pm (when usually showrooms do't like TDs after dark i.e. after 5pm). That alone makes me want to give Honda a good kick and go for the Ford. But still undecided...........

Apparently the Fiesta hatchback (which will be called the Focus?) is planned for Q1 or Q2 but priced starting from 6L. Maybe I should just keep waiting.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently the Fiesta hatchback (which will be called the Focus?) is planned for Q1 or Q2 but priced starting from 6L. Maybe I should just keep waiting.
It would most probably christened the Ford Splash. It is still uncertain whether the hatch would be launched before the Sedan.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

the jazz it is. A dealer in east delhi is sweetening the deal by offering 80k flat discount till december 31. what say, at 7.2 OTR for base model?
call up prime honda and they will offer you a TD on time.

Last edited by sidindica : 27th December 2010 at 19:53.
Old 27th December 2010, 20:14   #45
Team-BHP Support

I will say, look for a better Honda dealer, and go for the Jazz. Space and utility-wise it is on a different league, and should give you a peaceful ownership experience.

My second suggestion here will be the Figo. The styling is conservative but its a solid car, and offers good ride. And I feel overall the Figo has got a certain level of elegance attached to it.

Polo again is a good looker, but back seat space is not so good, and maybe you can also look at the alternate option of Skoda Fabia 1.6.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks