Team-BHP - Hyundai i20, Volkswagen Polo or Honda Jazz?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Hyundai i20, Volkswagen Polo or Honda Jazz? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/93312-hyundai-i20-volkswagen-polo-honda-jazz-4.html)

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

If you are looking for drivability and brand value, I would certainly suggest the VW Polo. It is has got the most rugged body among these three.
Ive done 140 on a Polo highline and and the car was as solid as a rock.

If budget is not a constraint for you, if you never care about the FE, then Jazz is definitely the car for you. Ive heard that the manufacturing cost of Jazz is almost as much as Honda City.

Well, the third one is Hyundai i20. It has got all the goodies like tilt and telescopic steering, foldable ORVM, Steering mounted audio controls, Automatic AC etc etc... About the drivability, One cant say that its peppy but as rev up, this baby is as smooth as butter. This baby has got the largest wheelbase in the segment and Ive done 158 kmph with this silent beast. The only problem that Ive found is that it has got softer suspension and at high speeds this can be quite troublesome.

4 issues with Jazz.

1. Low Rpm response is not good. Could be a subjective thing and could be an issue with the car that i drove.
2. Very low sales figures which will probably result in poor resale. Honda city has good resale in comparison.
3. Not sure how long honda will persist with this one in the Indian market. They might want to pull the plug when they release the brio.
4. Overpriced which everybody knows about.

I guess polo 1.6 seems to be the best bet from the cars that you have shortlisted. The Figo TDCI is the VFM practical option. Even if you run 10,000 kms a year, the diesel will give you substantial cost saving.

If you are looking for a petrol variant - forget the i20.....Only the Jazz stands out here.
But... if diesel is the option, then the i20 is a good choice provided that you don't get to commute in the city traffic much. Your clutch leg is gonna hurt you a lot coz' the clutch is quite long and hard to use in city traffic.:Shockked:

As many have said before, if you take price out of the equation. The jazz is the best of the lot IMO. Its extremely spacious, and in fact better planned than the Honda City. infact a friend of mine who owns a honda city said that if it weren't for his parents he would have picked the jazz instead. and you gotta like those nifty seats that fold and make way for any and everything you want to carry. also i am told many find the interior quality of the jazz better than the city, and that's saying a lot. My vote goes to the Honda Jazz!

Guys, I am currently in same dilemma. I am looking for upgrading my 7 Years old Hyundai Santro and have shortlisted three cars Hyundai i20, Polo 1.2 and Jazz (possibly Select Version). New Swift is out of picture as both the home ministers (read my mother and wife) have already rejected it based on its shape and rear bench comfort for three adult. Looking at the new jazz launch and reduced price, I am inclining towards Jazz.

Test drove i20 and Polo 1.2 yesterday. First of all i20
+Ve
Lots of bells and whistles in Asta model
Good back seat space for three
Getting a good deal considering exchange for existing car + loyalty bonus + Exchange Bonus

-Ve
Second gear pick up while 5 ppl on board
Concerned about steering problems as indicated by many Team BHPians

Coming to Polo
+Ve
German build, good handing
Great looks (Especially Red

-Ve
Cramp leg room in rear (noticeable as took back to back TD’s for i20 and Polo)
Small glass at rear hampering rear view from IRVM.
Other things like LHD controls (although not a deal breaker), Lack of power window switches for rear on driver side

I would be taking test drive for Jazz on coming week end. However would like to know considering rising petrol costs about actual average figures for all three cars (Car would mainly be driven in Mumbai city traffic with daily run approx 30 Km. and once / twice a month highway runs.)

:OT New jazz (Select) seems to wear a lot of chrome in front and rear. Would it be possible to replace that with parts for Jazz X? If so any tentative cost?

You should do the math - 30K kms per day + monthly highway runs dont necessarily qualify for a diesel. But assume petrol shoots up to Rs 100, and diesel stays around 50-60.. If you think you can break even in max 3 yrs, AND you will keep the car for 5 yrs min, then you should go for a diesel. There are many folks who have done this study and you need to use the search the archives to find those posts.
Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1amit (Post 2511281)
Test drove i20 and Polo 1.2 yesterday. First of all i20
+Ve
Lots of bells and whistles in Asta model
Good back seat space for three
Getting a good deal considering exchange for existing car + loyalty bonus + Exchange Bonus

-Ve
Second gear pick up while 5 ppl on board
Concerned about steering problems as indicated by many Team BHPians

i20 comes in a definite good package with lots of variants however the response less engine in this otherwise wonderful car is a huge disappointment, additionally, smaller engine is not transpiring in better FE. Also, Steering is very light and at higher speeds, it seems you're loosing control of the car.
I also heard that i30 might replace i20 or a newer i20 might be launched in early 2012.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1amit (Post 2511281)
Coming to Polo
+Ve
German build, good handing
Great looks (Especially Red

-Ve
Cramp leg room in rear (noticeable as took back to back TD’s for i20 and Polo)
Small glass at rear hampering rear view from IRVM.
Other things like LHD controls (although not a deal breaker), Lack of power window switches for rear on driver side

I would be taking test drive for Jazz on coming week end. However would like to know considering rising petrol costs about actual average figures for all three cars (Car would mainly be driven in Mumbai city traffic with daily run approx 30 Km. and once / twice a month highway runs.)

:OT New jazz (Select) seems to wear a lot of chrome in front and rear. Would it be possible to replace that with parts for Jazz X? If so any tentative cost?

Polo's looks are quite appealing but 3 POT engine is a big turn down and so is the lack (or nearly zero) of rear leg room space. You should also check out the maintenance cost

Jazz seems the best of the lot with its current pricing and Sedan equivalent space. You also have reclining rear seats, It's a case study in itself to accommodate so much in its size. however, the engine still has some initial lag (better than i20 and unbelievably refined than Polo). If you can live up to that lag at < 2000 RPM.. Nothing better than JAZZ !