Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 18:14   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20, Volkswagen Polo or Honda Jazz?

Looking for a quick purchase of a hatchback. Basically as my usage based on my current car is about 40,000km in 3 years, I would assume I need not even think Diesel, and so therefore have restricted my search for petrol cars. 90% of the time I drive alone. The driver will rarely touch it (if ever ) It will be used 95% for city driving, though not always a t rush hour traffic. The routes I currently travel I can usually touch 80kmph quite easily in parts. The budget is 5.5L to 7.5L, though needless to say the lesser the better. As this is an upgrade, ABS and airbags are important. Also, having been a very happy customer of Michellin XM1s over the last 3 years, I certainly would not want MRF, good year, and probably Apollo Accelere.

First, the rejects:
Quote:
Micra - Yuk. I have seen toy cars with better interiors. Enough said.

Punto - Took a TD. Just did not like the car. Interiors were nothing good. Pickup was bad. Drive quality was okay. Exterior looks were nothing great at all IMHO (though I am aware a lot of people rave about it - I just don't agree). Just didn't click.

Figo - Rejected on the basis of looks, though to be honest have not even taken a TD as generally I got the sense from this forum that it's a car to consider if one is thinking of a diesel car.
So I feel I have narrowed it down to the i20 (Asta), the Polo (Highline) or the Jazz (Select?). (though I am completely open to other options if any).

Now the Positives of the remaining contenders:
Quote:
i20 - Best VFM as far as features go. Excellent interiors (even though the brownish tinge could have been avoided by Hyundai) and very good looking car from the outside. TD experience was good, and generally liked the feel of the car. Stereo has USB and AUX-In by default.

Polo - Excellent looks - exterior and interior. Very comfortable interiors. VW reputation. Decent experience with TD, even though the car was an accidented one (which strangely enough a lot of people are experiencing with VW TD vehicles for some strange reason).

Jazz - Yet to TD. In fact honestly only started considering it in the last day or so solely on the basis of rave reviews. I have always had a propensity towards products that receive rave reviews and have little by way of negatives, as it usually means more piece of mind even though it may come at a premium. And FE of 14-16 Kmpl is just delightful!

The negatives (that I am aware of):
Quote:
i20 - The biggest thing weighing on my mind is the alarming number of reports of steering related defects (rattle noise) and AC being underpowered. While momentarily I was happy to hear that Hyundai had offered a solution to it, it's disheartening that fellow forum members are reporting that the solution is only a temporary quick fix. The second thing is that the mileage is AFAIK quite bad - about 11Kmpl is what I am told - whereas my current hatch gives me about 13-14, and I feel this is a bit of a downgrade.

Polo - My family felt is was noisy (which a lot of people here also report), long waiting period, No USB or AUX-In and No electric ORVM (that is really disappointing - my current 3 year old Estilo which is almost half the price of this car has electric OVRMs), varying reports about mileage (some users say 16Kmpl, some say 11Kmpl - don't know who's lying).

Jazz - As I said haven't test driven it yet. But the first (and largest) impediment to buying this car is the price. Can I justify paying 1L+ over the top variants of the i20 or Polo for this car? Is anyone aware as to what is the realistic price one can expect in Delhi after discounts? I have heard that they are offering significant discounts but there's not much on the internet about it. Also, not yet familiar with the features across the variants, so will wait till further research to comment on USB/Aux-In, Electric ORVMs.
Would love to get people's feedback / opinions, especially on the following:
  1. What is the realistic discounts one can negotiate with dealers in Delhi?
  2. Which companies are amenable to providing Michellin tyres (be it at extra cost)?
  3. Would there be any major difference in the servicing / maintenance costs of the above cars?
  4. Any other suggestions? I know the Fabia is there. While it seems the car is outstanding on safety, the FE is not supposed to be very great AFAIK.
Old 7th December 2010, 18:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why not wait for sometime and have a look at all new Swift and Fiesta hatch before finalizing one?
By the way Fabia shares Polo's engines so FE should be similar.

As far as FE is concerned, it depends heavily on the way you drive.

Last edited by HammerHead : 7th December 2010 at 18:57.
Old 7th December 2010, 18:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

If you can go up to 7.5, I would say Jazz is outstanding (baring the price).
I guess you need to TD it first, before we come to the discussing table.

But I am sure you would love it.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:17   #4
BHPian

As a Jazz owner my say is that Jazz is the car to go for if you have the budget.

Just take a test drive for Jazz you will realise that Jazz is the car to go for.

Jazz comes with Michellin tyres.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:18   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jazz seems to be a very good choice. The price may be a bit high, but the car is well worth it. The sales figures are poor though. Does this mean the car may get phased or replaced anytime soon? Any idea folks?
Old 7th December 2010, 19:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The Jazz seems to be a very good choice. The price may be a bit high, but the car is well worth it. The sales figures are poor though. Does this mean the car may get phased or replaced anytime soon? Any idea folks?
Thats the fear even I have. I had bought a Fusion 6 years back. But had no issues with spares, in spite of Fusion being stopped, as most spares were common with Fiesta. This does not seem to be the case here.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:30   #7
BHPian

I am booking the I20 1.2 L Asta tomorrow. Reasons:

Jazz- over my budget
Polo- long waiting period
I20- Loved the car (exterior) since it was launched. Saw the interiors and was floored. I have heard of the steering rattles and AC issues, just keeping my fingers crossed
Old 7th December 2010, 19:41   #8
BHPian

I have test driven/driven all 3 and this is my opinion. My suggestion is in the same order as I have written below.

Jazz - Awesome vehicle. You can't believe that you would get such an amount of space inside until you sit on it. The view from the driver's seat is simply awesome - you get a wide view which I don't see in any other car. However, it is a bit pricey and it does not have USB, electronic ORVM, automatic temperature control.

i20 - Another good one. As I already said, you cannot compare the interior space with Jazz. Nevertheless, i20 also has decent interior space. You get all the above said features in lesser price compared to Jazz.

Polo - Interior space is lesser than i20. You will feel the difference especially in the head room.

My suggestion: If you have the budget, do go for Jazz. You will never complain about it.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:46   #9
BHPian

I think the polo 1.6 would suit you.
The vibrations and the sound of the 3 pot motor are removed with this 4 pot. Also its a hoot to drive. TD this one and I'm sure you will love it.
Search around the on the forum for the head unit replacement on a polo. USB/AUX and also SAT-NAV everything gets taken care of.
Old 7th December 2010, 21:53   #10
BHPian

I am also looking at a premium hatch to replace my Getz. The cars under consideration are Polo 1.6, Fabia 1.6 & Jazz. I am more inclined towards Polo/Fabia 1.6 variants. Jazz even after discounts was coming to about 7.75L OTR Chennai, which is higher than Fabia and Polo and I was concerned about low torque of Jazz which will show in highway runs with 4 people onboard.
Old 7th December 2010, 22:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Incidentally today even I heard from somebody that the Jazz might be phased out. Honda is all also focussed on bringing out the Brio by September 2011 and Jazz is past for them. But Jazz as such is a excellent car but not VFM.
Old 7th December 2010, 23:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its very easy to say here to go for JAZZ since its inside your budget but somewhere inside your post you have written the lesser the better. So I would recommend the i20 asta. Go for it.
Old 7th December 2010, 23:40   #13
BHPian

Hi Vebmetal,
As you're going to use the car mostly (95%) for city needs and you've also mentioned that most of the time, you are going to drive alone, I feel the i20 will fit the bill. The interiors are just great and the car looks fab with those blue-lit instrument cluster at night. The Asta variant has all those goodies - retractable electric OVRMs, ACC, ABS, airbags, alloys (including the spare wheel) and tons of chrome.
The downside will be an extremely feathery steering and body roll on 90+ speeds. I'd seriously not recommend this if you are a frequent highway doer. But, this shouldn't bother you as you will not be taking her on highways. And yes, the AC is not like the one in Figo. IMO, Figo has one of the best AC in sub 6-lacs cars.
Comparatively Polo is a good car with outstanding handling. But it is not loaded and even the Highline variant comes with internally adjustable mirrors. Not to mention the vocal 1.2 liter, 3-pot engine (save for the 1.6 though )
Coming to Jazz, it's a clearly over-priced hatch though you can call it a mini bungalow (acres of space). But again, you're going to be the only one in the car, so space is not a concern too.
I'm not sure about Michellin.

The new Vista 1.4 Saphire 90 is a good choice to. An absolute VFM (more car per car) buy. The most powerful (at least in papers) in its segment. But, fit & finish is not in the leagues of the above mentioned list. Do TD Vista.

So, I'd suggest you to go with the either the 'uber' cool i20 or our own Vista Saphire 90.
Old 8th December 2010, 00:25   #14
BHPian

I would recommend POLO 1.2 as it comes with 3 yrs AMC,
next option would be i20 due to Hyundai network and gizmos
last in the line would be Jazz, coz of its exorbitant price tag.
I booked my POLO Tdi, aforesaid recommendations are based on my analysis.
Old 8th December 2010, 11:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: i20, Polo or Jazz?

If you can stretch your budget to accomodate the Jazz then I would suggest you should seriously look for the Polo 1.6. Proven engine with a fine mix of performance and efficiency couple with trademark VW smooth shifts.

If you still want to stick to the 1.2 lt engines then I would suggest Polo or i20.

Most Viewed