Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 22:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Overall cost effective buy less than 7.5L

I may have missed something in this thread, but why isnt Fiat Linea in your list ?
AFAIK it takes care of all your requirements and comes within your budget as well! I think the Diesel fully loaded is a tad above 8, so Petrol is definitely within 7.5, and for sure gives you more mileage than 9!
Old 17th December 2010, 00:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for your inputs! One important thing I would like to know is if there are 3 seatbelts in the back in every car now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Shut your eyes and pick up the i20 CRDI asta, though you might have to spend some extra. Meets your requirements to the T.
the problem here was that when I TDed the i20, with my style of driving, my friend said he felt as dizzy as getting off a roller coaster. and I know he is more tolerant than the regular passengers will ever be. it maybe as I am not accustomed to the lighter steering wheel. when I sat in the back, it seemed a bit claustrophobic for me in terms of window size/ light (relative to the other cars listed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
I would be a little wary of the steering rattles and A/C problems in the i20. The latter depends on where you live so that we know how hot it gets in summers.
I mentioned as Pune, but I would also be driving around so would definitely need a decent AC. How bad is it in the i20? I TDed in Nov, and it was a rainy day so could not make that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Figo titanium TDCi, would meet all your requirements....
Phew!! Did I sound like a Ford sales guy or what? :P
I like the Figo, but am really apprehensive about the lack of bumpers.
you definitely sound more convincing than the Ford guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
In case you want to save money and still want a spacious hatch with tested engine, go for Indica Vista QJD AURA +. You will at least save 1.5L!!
In case you want to utilize your budget fully, how about Jazz or Jazz Select? Jazz should fit in your budget after discounts.
I never considered the Vista, though I think I should. The problem was that I didnt see it in the Tata/ Fiat showroom when I went there. Or maybe it was around, but I was distracted by Manza (surprisingly)/ Punto/ Linea - definitely not in that order!
I have never considered a Honda and dont know why. I think I am a bit apprehensive as I didnt see any 'Jazz' on the street when I was there last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Your requirements are quite generic and all the new hatches will satisfy most of them. I would suggest you to decide between Figo, Punto, Polo & I20 listed in the ascending order of price
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Looking at your budget and safety requirements, only a hatchback cab ne looked at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
@ 7.5L OTR, none of the sedans will offer you ABS/Airbags. The Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDi Elegance suits your requirement to a T.
I am open to looking at used cars as well (in which case some other sedans might fit in), but that depends on availability and luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That indeed is a long wish list and be prepared to compromise on a few of them for sure.
+1. Manza is the best that you can buy which will meet all your requirements and be still in budget
You can also check out Logan as its a spacious car
Yeah dude, its a long wishlist and I havent even mentioned any from the family yet (has to be red/ of a particular size/ interiors etc)
I can compromise on a few, but certainly wont skimp on the safety aspect.
Though I was initially very sceptical I ended up liking the Manza a lot, and its bang in the budget. I was also able to handle it very well. However, the boot is a bit too big for my taste. I saw a mod design on the Manza review thread and that seems damn interesting. If there was a Manza CS boot, I would go in for it immediately.
I am not one for snob value/ looks but the Logan design disgusts me. I dont know what it is, but this is one car I cringe at when I look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwadhwa View Post
I may have missed something in this thread, but why isnt Fiat Linea in your list ?
I did have a good look at it and it is one of the plushest cars I have seen in India. I did think the Linea would be out of budget, not exactly sure why. The headroom seemed a bit less and the ingress/ egress(?) wasnt as easy as I expected. It may have seemed more pronounced as the next car I saw was the Manza. I should try to compartmentalise my reviews (if thats a word!)
Summary:
It is great that we have so many options now. I do need to go in for TDs with a checklist to ensure I verify everything I want.
I will consider the Linea and I20 again. It does seem like I am tilting towards the Figo, unless some good kind soul decides to sell a well maintained SX4 or if the wifey allows a budget expansion!
Are there any updates on planned launches in 2011?
Also, are there any recommended accessories that I should buy in Europe (for lack of availability in India) before I return? Shipment is not a concern.
Thanks again for all the inputs

Last edited by selfdrive : 17th December 2010 at 00:34.
Old 17th December 2010, 07:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Thanks everyone for your inputs! One important thing I would like to know is if there are 3 seatbelts in the back in every car now?
Yes if a car is designed to seat 3 people in the rear, there will be 3seat belts, with the middle being lap belt in most cars. But there are few cars which give retractable 3 point harness for the middle passenger also. IIRC Fabia is one of them.
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Yes if a car is designed to seat 3 people in the rear, there will be 3seat belts, with the middle being lap belt in most cars. But there are few cars which give retractable 3 point harness for the middle passenger also. IIRC Fabia is one of them.
Thanks Milecruncher!
my bad, the question should have been that do all cars have three full seat belts?
for the lap belt, it is not possible to use a car seat, right?
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Sadly, not any more, unless you get your hands on the old Fabia, of which you may find some pieces left (with fantastic discounts, i might add). As of today, no hatch in India has 3 point seatbelts for the 5th passenger.
Clearly, you are looking for a driver's car, so should be Punto, Figo or Polo/Fabia, in that order. Have you checked the Fiesta? Should fit your budget, I reckon.
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Have you checked the Fiesta? Should fit your budget, I reckon.
+1 to that. You should consider the Fiesta as well.

In Diesel, the 1.4 TDCi SXi fits all your needs; so does the 1.6SXi int he petrol. The diesel would be a bit of a stretch on the budget front, the petrol should fit your budget. If you could decide against the airbags, you could get the ZXi with ABS (petrol or diesel) for your budget and a little more.
The Fiesta is a drivers car and there are many happy customers here. I being one of the latest owners, would definitely vouch for it. test drive before you decide.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 23rd December 2010 at 11:14.
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Re: SAFE, cost effective buy for less than 7.5L

Happy to see that you have put safety in caps!

My recommendation will be Ford Figo Titanium TDCi, Honda Jazz, Skoda Fabia 1.6, and Fiat Linea - in the listed order. Reasons as follows:
  • Ford Figo: Good build quality, no-nonsense car. And you'll have some spare cash for alloys and other mods
  • Honda Jazz: Excellent mileage for a petrol and great package. For me this is always a better car than the Honda City.
  • Skoda Fabia: Safe and solid. You have mentioned about your driving style a couple of times, and the Fabia in 1.6 guise should be worth trying.
  • Fiat Linea: Here, I will be recommending only the diesel, and the top end could be above budget as well. If you can stretch for the T-Jet, this will go as option 1
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:46   #23
BHPian

I would suggest the Manza. An absolute VFM with loads of space. The fiesta 1.4 itdci is another option. Also you might want to take a look at the etios, though the looks are dated, but it still is a good bang for buck.

Last edited by Rotorhead : 23rd December 2010 at 11:47.
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, not any more, unless you get your hands on the old Fabia, of which you may find some pieces left (with fantastic discounts, i might add). As of today, no hatch in India has 3 point seatbelts for the 5th passenger.
Thats quite sad, for me at least. I guess it is part of the cost trimming exercise especially as this may not be a priority for most of us. Cab this be fitted aftermarket?

Quote:
Clearly, you are looking for a driver's car, so should be Punto, Figo or Polo/Fabia, in that order. Have you checked the Fiesta? Should fit your budget, I reckon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
+1 to that. You should consider the Fiesta as well.
In Diesel, the 1.4 TDCi SXi fits all your needs; so does the 1.6SXi int he petrol. The diesel would be a bit of a stretch on the budget front, the petrol should fit your budget. If you could decide against the airbags, you could get the ZXi with ABS (petrol or diesel) for your budget and a little more.
The Fiesta is a drivers car and there are many happy customers here. I being one of the latest owners, would definitely vouch for it. test drive before you decide.
We saw the Fiesta when we TDed the Figo and liked the look and feel. However, I have heard that there is an upgrade due sometime in 2011. If this happens before my booking, I will definitely consider (and TD) it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Happy to see that you have put safety in caps!

My recommendation will be Ford Figo Titanium TDCi, Honda Jazz, Skoda Fabia 1.6, and Fiat Linea - in the listed order. Reasons as follows:
  • Ford Figo: Good build quality, no-nonsense car. And you'll have some spare cash for alloys and other mods
  • Honda Jazz: Excellent mileage for a petrol and great package. For me this is always a better car than the Honda City.
  • Skoda Fabia: Safe and solid. You have mentioned about your driving style a couple of times, and the Fabia in 1.6 guise should be worth trying.
  • Fiat Linea: Here, I will be recommending only the diesel, and the top end could be above budget as well. If you can stretch for the T-Jet, this will go as option 1
Safety in caps is a mod job, though it perfectly reflects my key requirement. For this one aspect itself I should be considering the Linea (according to a review here it is built like a tank!). If I listen to my heart, it will be the Tjet, but will have to take a loan then, which I want to avoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I would suggest the Manza. An absolute VFM with loads of space. The fiesta 1.4 itdci is another option. Also you might want to take a look at the etios, though the looks are dated, but it still is a good bang for buck.
The Manza is our second favourite. the Figo pips it because my wife is more comfortable to drive it around Pune. she isnt that happy to drive a bigger car around town. must compare the specs as the Manza doesnt look that huge in person (compared to the pics) . We might go in for it if I continue with my Be indian buy indian funda!
Old 27th December 2010, 18:16   #25
BHPian

My 2 cents - Sorry I did not go through all the posts thoroughly, but any reason Jazz is being ruled out? Read the first post and you mentioned about HatchBack preference along with 7.5lac budget. Year end discount of around 80k is going for Jazz in Pune from Crystal Honda. My friend bought Jazz and is very much satisfied with its mileage, space and safety features.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
My 2 cents - Sorry I did not go through all the posts thoroughly, but any reason Jazz is being ruled out? Read the first post and you mentioned about HatchBack preference along with 7.5lac budget. Year end discount of around 80k is going for Jazz in Pune from Crystal Honda. My friend bought Jazz and is very much satisfied with its mileage, space and safety features.
The ex showroom price for the Jazz shows as 7.8L, so it would be a bit of a stretch. Unfortunately my return has been postponed by another few weeks and I wont need a car before end March. I dont think the discounts would be on till then, but I will give it a try.
Is there any waiting period for the Jazz? Any idea what the OTR is?
Old 28th December 2010, 18:52   #27
BHPian

As many have suggested go for the i20 crdi. I am very happy with my car which is the top end one with sunroof.
However the sad part is that now i20 crdi does not come with 6 airbags but comes with 2 airbags. Further it does not come with rear disc brakes and sunroof.
But still considering your preferences and priorities i20 crdi is the car for you and the other choice would be the Punto 90 hp which also comes with similiar features as the current i20 crdi.
You can choose the ideal car for you after considering the ease of service and other factors. However i would recommend to you the i20 crdi because of my personal experience with the said car for 1 year 5 months and 40k kms. So you can always bet on the i20 crdi and Hyundai service.

Happy motoring.
Old 28th December 2010, 19:39   #28
BHPian

@selfdrive: my friend went for Jazz Select Edition whose ex-showroom price is Rs7.48lac. So along with 80k discount and considering registration charges, the price was less than 7.5lac approx. The Jazz Select edition also has all the safety features. The OTR price was around Rs 7.3lacs.
Old 28th December 2010, 22:26   #29
BHPian

Since you have mentioned in your list that "5. Used cars will do too", I am suggesting you to look for Toyota Corolla.

You would descent, well maintained, less mileage Corolla for your budget of 7.5L.

You can check out with any U-trust Toyota used car dealer in your city(if you have one), they would offer with warranty
Old 29th December 2010, 01:18   #30
BHPian

I am going to suggest to 2 different vehicles. The intention definitely is not to confuse you

I hope you could also get a used Civic in your budget. If you start looking you might be able to find the one you like in a couple of months. Other than that there are rumours of 5 seater XYLO which IMO should also be good. But I am not sure if it would be launched before March 2011.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed