Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 18:40   #61
BHPian

Re: SAFE, cost effective buy for less than 7.5L

As far as i could decipher, you need a driver's car. So please dont go for the i20. The steering is crap. Feels like its detached from front wheels. The ride is too harsh for comfort. The only saving grace is the enormous power and torque (talking abt CRDi here) and decent space. Its a stable highway car and thats it. Show it a corner at speed and the driver will wet his pants.

Realistically speaking you have just 5 good options.

1. Figo TDCI Titanium - For: got most of the required features. Saves u some cash. Very tidy handler, Best steering in the category. *** is competent enough and spares are relatively cheap now. Dont worry abt the bumper part. Against: Missing some small features, down on power compared to the competition.
2. Punto 1.3 75bhp - For: Got style and a modern engine + all the features. Not the best *** around but improving. Against: Doesnt feel powerful enough, not enough space.
3. Punto 1.3 90bhp - For: comments given above + more power and torque which was desperately needed. Best driver's car in the category. Against: As above
4. Polo TDI - For: European build quality, handsome, good ride and handling. Against : Bit overpriced, 3pot diesel noise, dunno abt ***.
5. Fabia TDI - For: Same as above except the handsome part, u can add spacious instead of that. Against: Again same as the polo since it has the same engine. *** used to suck big time and spare parts used to be costly. Dunno wats the status now.

I have considered only the diesel models. All except the Figo and Punto 75bhp boders on the 7.5 lac barrier. So basically its ur call now!! All the best pal
Old 10th January 2011, 21:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

How about a used previous gen honda crv
its spacious. Relatively trouble free, and has a good size boot, that might be able to store your bike in there. Also as you mentioned about a baby car seat earlier, you obviously have a baby, you could use the tall boot space to carry around a stroller and all the assorted baby essentials. Trust me i know the need for a good boot as a lot of things do not fit into my civics boot. Like for example when we put in the stroller. There is no space for the high chair. So having a suv with good space will definately be a boon. You could pick one up from anywhere between 6.5 to 8 lakhs. Definately worth a look in my opinion. Only one deal breaker the fuel efficiency.
Old 11th January 2011, 01:30   #63

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2011 at 18:22.
diehard22 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th January 2011, 10:30   #64
BHPian

Go for Indigo Manza Aura+ Quadraajet BS4.
Value for money.Good Comfort.
Accept the short comings on plastics! Other wise, the power plant gear box, hydraluics, electronics are fine.
Suspension you may have problem. But it might have sorted out by this time.
Go for Manza
Old 11th January 2011, 16:54   #65
BHPian

I agree. Got a chance to have a look in. The car's door are heavy and overall build quality shouts premium all around. Neat interiors, large boot, well fit engine bay. Just have a look at underbelly and it is no different there (all parts neatly arranged and silencer tucked inside.).

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2011 at 19:14. Reason: Removing quoted post which has since been deleted
Old 11th January 2011, 16:58   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
I agree. Got a chance to have a look in. The car's door are heavy and overall build quality shouts premium all around. Neat interiors, large boot, well fit engine bay. Just have a look at underbelly and it is no different there (all parts neatly arranged and silencer tucked inside.).

+1, but bear in mind the lead time is not less than 5 months for the 1.6 Polo.

Cheers!
Old 11th January 2011, 19:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again everyone!
As of today, I can say that I wont be considering these cars:
i20 - Steering issues (rules out the safety aspect)
Polo & Etios - Lead time is too much
Skoda make - personal choice
Swift & Dzire - personal choice

The priorities remain:
Used car - Jazz > Other (based on availability)
New car - Manza Quadrajet BS4 > SX4 diesel > Figo Titanium tdci > Punto

The dark horse could be the Fiesta hatchback - any news on when this is planned to be launched?
Old 11th January 2011, 23:14   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Thanks again everyone!
As of today, I can say that I wont be considering these cars:
i20 - Steering issues (rules out the safety aspect)
Polo & Etios - Lead time is too much
Skoda make - personal choice
Swift & Dzire - personal choice

The priorities remain:

The dark horse could be the Fiesta hatchback - any news on when this is planned to be launched?
You have definitely got your choices in perspective now. Your personal choices are well thought out.

However, the Figo is the Fiesta hatch, for India at least. In new cars from the choices that you have given above, only Punto makes a mark for a worth while car, since SX4 diesel may not come for a long time. And new Fiesta diesel will come in your budget too.

And for used cars choices, Jazz WILL make a good choice, if you get one, but if you do manage to get one resale prices are bad, which is good for you, but not many owners want to sell it. Otherwise, like I said Scorpio, corolla, NHC these cars are tried tested and proven wise mans cars. Or on the side lines you can option SX4 petrol, Verna CRDI, Optra Magnum diesel, the list is endless. and sometime pointless.
Old 12th January 2011, 08:59   #69
BHPian

I had the same confusion in 2009 August. The primary points we had in mind were Safety, Suspension/Ride, Looks, Reasonable power/mileage, Value added features, service.
Unfortunately the choices left then were Swift, Swift Dzire, Punto, i20, Fabia. Did not choose Swift/Dzire for thumbs down on safety/suspension/ride/value additions/looks (personal opinion) and thumbs up for service. i20 got a thumbs down for suspension/ride quality/steering. Found Punto E pack good in all except service (at that time).
Now the choice list has Manza, Figo added to that group. Manza seems to be good, but one of my colleagues has one and its showing the age once it reaches 10K kms - bit of squeaks/rattles - but a terrific utility car with amazing space. Figo seems to be a good bet in value for money perspective -I did not feel safe in the car : the solid feeling you get in Punto/Polo is not being generated in Figo, Suspension is good but not as good as Punto/Polo/Linea, Steering is not as good as Punto/Linea. Costwise it scores over a Punto, service wise its on part with Punto in being just decent with no frills. Blue & Me, ACC were awesome features in Punto!
I 've been owning a Punto E* pack, and the review from GTO on the car made a huge impact in my decision. I covered 26K kms in 15 months of owning the car - and I cannot be more happy. The ease with which it eats the potholes and terrific ride quality is amazing! As told earlier - service is not 'wow', but is utility. Again it depends on the dealer you are heading to. One of the dealers in my city (Cochin) is messed up, but the other one is decent. Spare prices are pretty much on the lower side, and is on par with Swift spares. Availability can vary to 7-10 days for costly parts which is a big con by itself.
I think your decision sways in the group - Manza, Punto, Figo.
Old 12th January 2011, 10:01   #70
BHPian

Quote:
The priorities remain:
My rating would be
SX4 Diesel (Maruti A.S.S., Sporty looks and higher GC of ZXI)
>Manza Quadrajet (spacious, VFM)
>Punto (great looks, spacious, feature rich - (split rear seat, MID, large boot, climate control, adjustable seat, steering etc.), effective Ground clearance better than competition, VFM)
>Figo TDCI (non-existant rear headrest, no rear power windows, no split seats, bare MID, bad looking sppedometer console, minimal bumpers, model life cycle seems short as it looks old. nevertheless cheapest diesel hatch).
Old 12th January 2011, 10:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The priorities remain:

I spoke to Ford guys just yesterday and they told me that Ford is going to launch the new Fiesta sedan first, in Q2 2011 and the hatch will come in Q4 2011.

I would suggest you the following:

New Cars
1) Manza Quadrajet BS4 (Best VFM, cheap plastics)
2) Punto 90HP E Pack (Best looking hatch in India(IMHO), best ride and handling, poor on rear-seat space and average boot)
3) Jazz Select (My favourite of all, Select variant comes with alloys, parcel trey)
4) Figo Titanium TDCi (Extreme VFM, good engine, sufficient boot, good ride, interiors not to everyone's liking, low GC)
5) Vista Quadrajet Aura+ BS4 (cheaper than Manza, has all features of Manza, cheap plastics)

I have not considered SX4 diesel here, since there is no information on its launch date and also the price of SX4 diesel will go out of your budget, since their petrol itself ranges from 8 - 9.5 lakhs OTR.
Old 12th January 2011, 11:30   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
You have definitely got your choices in perspective now. Your personal choices are well thought out.
However, the Figo is the Fiesta hatch, for India at least.
And for used cars choices, Jazz WILL make a good choice, if you get one, but if you do manage to get one resale prices are bad, which is good for you, but not many owners want to sell it. Otherwise, like I said Scorpio, corolla, NHC these cars are tried tested and proven wise mans cars. Or on the side lines you can option SX4 petrol, Verna CRDI, Optra Magnum diesel, the list is endless. and sometime pointless.
Thanks zulfi_hansi, I have managed the most time consuming part - the shortlisting. Its great that we have so many choices now. For the Ford, there are rumours of a hatchback- no news yet on the launch.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rior-pics.html
Used car is like a lottery. I think I will give it a couple of weeks during end March and then forget about it once I book the car I finalise. I think the waiting period is not more than a month for either the Manza/ Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuttappanAbhi View Post
I had the same confusion in 2009 August. The primary points we had in mind were Safety, Suspension/Ride, Looks, Reasonable power/mileage, Value added features, service.
Now the choice list has Manza, Figo added to that group. Manza seems to be good, but one of my colleagues has one and its showing the age once it reaches 10K kms - bit of squeaks/rattles - but a terrific utility car with amazing space. Figo seems to be a good bet in value for money perspective -I did not feel safe in the car : the solid feeling you get in Punto/Polo is not being generated in Figo, Suspension is good but not as good as Punto/Polo/Linea, Steering is not as good as Punto/Linea. Costwise it scores over a Punto, service wise its on part with Punto in being just decent with no frills. Blue & Me, ACC were awesome features in Punto!
I think your decision sways in the group - Manza, Punto, Figo.
kuttappanabhi, you hit the nail on the head for the Manza; it does not seem to be one for the wear and tear. I intend to keep the car for around 5 years if I buy something of this size. If its a hatchback, I may be compelled to sell it within 3 years due to further requirements (and perhaps snob value, though I hope I dont change that much!)
I would buy the Figo with my head, but it doesnt appeal to my heart.
The offputting part about the Punto for me is actually the interiors; I didnt like it that much. IMHO, it also seems a little cramped/ claustrophobic at the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
My rating would be
SX4 Diesel (Maruti A.S.S., Sporty looks and higher GC of ZXI)
>Manza Quadrajet (spacious, VFM)
>Punto (great looks, spacious, feature rich - (split rear seat, MID, large boot, climate control, adjustable seat, steering etc.), effective Ground clearance better than competition, VFM)
>Figo TDCI (non-existant rear headrest, no rear power windows, no split seats, bare MID, bad looking sppedometer console, minimal bumpers, model life cycle seems short as it looks old. nevertheless cheapest diesel hatch).
@ajay0612, believe me sir, if the SX4 diesel is launched, there is going to be a big hungama at home, as I would refuse to consider any other car! It is one of the cars that somehow tugs at the heart (the other being the Punto). Its a purely personal opinion; I am aware that the full sized aortic pumps work differently for others

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I spoke to Ford guys just yesterday and they told me that Ford is going to launch the new Fiesta sedan first, in Q2 2011 and the hatch will come in Q4 2011.
I would suggest you the following:
New Cars
1) Manza Quadrajet BS4 (Best VFM, cheap plastics)
2) Punto 90HP E Pack (Best looking hatch in India(IMHO), best ride and handling, poor on rear-seat space and average boot)
3) Jazz Select (My favourite of all, Select variant comes with alloys, parcel trey)
4) Figo Titanium TDCi (Extreme VFM, good engine, sufficient boot, good ride, interiors not to everyone's liking, low GC)
5) Vista Quadrajet Aura+ BS4 (cheaper than Manza, has all features of Manza, cheap plastics)

I have not considered SX4 diesel here, since there is no information on its launch date and also the price of SX4 diesel will go out of your budget, since their petrol itself ranges from 8 - 9.5 lakhs OTR.
@ajay_satpute; with the way things have been progressing (or should I say not progressing) on the Ford hatchback front, it may actually make my decision simpler. I guess it will turn out to be a straight shootout between Manza and Punto.
I will go in for the Manza if there is a CS version available by April. If not, it is just too big for my usage. I dont mind handling it in the city, but I would be lugging around a bigger car for no real use at all of at least 10pc of it, if not more.
SX4 diesel will definitely fit as my budget will then automatically increase. either that or i will be kicked out of my house for being unreasonable! if it is launched in the next few weeks and you want some entertainment, watch this space

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th January 2011 at 11:31. Reason: spelling
Old 12th January 2011, 11:43   #73
BHPian

Buy with your heart. You have to like the car since you are going to live with it for 5 years. if you are looking at FIAT seriously, just wait for a few months to find out whether the drastic fall in sales in the previous few months is a blip or not.

The safe cost-effective buy for less that 7.5 L is Figo Titanium TDCI for sure but if it does not appeal to the heart in terms of drive/looks/handling/interiors don't buy it.
Old 12th January 2011, 13:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

As you have narrowed down your choices.
I think jazz should be top priority. There is definately a feel good factor packed with this car. And a.s.s is good from honda, atleast this has been my experience so far.

Next in line would be punto as it is decently specced and also has a feel good factor. Only thing is the fate of the company in india. As we all know they are not doing to well here in india. And you dont want to be saddled with a car which will be from a defunct company. I have had this experience owning and still possesing a daewoo matiz (hey its my first car gifted to me by my grandfather, how can i ever get rid of it). Secondly the after sales service is just average according to many a review.

you dont want to consider a used crv?
Old 12th January 2011, 14:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Buy with your heart. The safe cost-effective buy for less that 7.5 L is Figo Titanium TDCI for sure but if it does not appeal to the heart in terms of drive/looks/handling/interiors don't buy it.
@vishnurp99, I will give you an example for my reasoning. I have owned two cars before this - Zen (1999 model) & WagonR (2006 model, I think!). the Zen (pre owned) was a call taken by the heart and I really looked forward to driving it everywhere. I passed it on to a friend and still have a great affinity to it. Now, one can also say it could be because it was my first car. The WagonR was better maintained and much more effective. I didnt dread driving it, but I didnt really enjoy driving it much either. Nothing wrong with the car, just that it was a more logical decision, considering my priorities at the time. Now, I can consider all logic and go for the Figo, but I have to first answer the question whether I will enjoy the company of some other car more! No offence to any of the cars, they are all great in their own way; just need to find the one that suits me most.
The most revealing part from this thread has been that some of the cars publicised as 'safe' are not really that safe. The real cost effective cars (in terms of ongoing safety & peace of mind) are not necessarily the NCAAP 5* ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
As you have narrowed down your choices.
I think jazz should be top priority. There is definately a feel good factor packed with this car. And a.s.s is good from honda, atleast this has been my experience so far.

Next in line would be punto as it is decently specced and also has a feel good factor. Only thing is the fate of the company in india. As we all know they are not doing to well here in india. And you dont want to be saddled with a car which will be from a defunct company. I have had this experience owning and still possesing a daewoo matiz (hey its my first car gifted to me by my grandfather, how can i ever get rid of it). Secondly the after sales service is just average according to many a review.

you dont want to consider a used crv?
@mdsaab, I can imagine your attachment with your matiz. It must be really frustrating when you dont get the necessary parts etc on time.
I agree with your recommendation about the used cars, but I dont have much of a window to look for used cars, as I will have to book a car considering the waiting period of a month. Unfortunately, I cannot make any further trips to Pune before March to TD used cars. I can look for used cars for a couple of weeks after I arrive mid March. If I dont find one, then I can book a new car. This means I should be ok to live without a car for a month, that will really test my patience.
And knowing Murphy's law, I will end up finding the best used car that fits all my requirements 2 days after I pay the booking amount for my new car!
Jazz is top priority but only in the used car section, so let me know when you intend to sell your Jazz
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks