Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 19:20   #76
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: SAFE, cost effective buy for less than 7.5L

Selfdrive, there is always something special about owning a newly launched car. Can you wait? If so, excellent. If not, buy a beater (say, an M800 for 75,000), drive it for 3 - 4 months, and then resell at a negligible loss. Cars that should be worth waiting for:

- The new Fiesta

- The new Verna

- SX4 diesel

- Nissan's C segment sedan

I highly recommend you to wait for 2 quarters. You'll own the car for 7 - 8 years, what's 3 - 6 months of a wait for a better car?
Old 13th January 2011, 15:40   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Selfdrive, there is always something special about owning a newly launched car. Can you wait? If so, excellent. If not, buy a beater (say, an M800 for 75,000), drive it for 3 - 4 months, and then resell at a negligible loss. Cars that should be worth waiting for:
- The new Fiesta
- The new Verna
- SX4 diesel
- Nissan's C segment sedan
I highly recommend you to wait for 2 quarters. You'll own the car for 7 - 8 years, what's 3 - 6 months of a wait for a better car?
I agree about the feeling of owning a newly launched car. However, I have been unable to enjoy owning a car for the last couple of years, so patience may be in short supply! I guess I will have to take it as it goes.
I would buy a beater, but probably one with the relevant safety features (ABS + Airbags). One may perhaps call me paranoid, but so be it. I am willing to bear a little more monetary loss if I get these features in the car. What used cars (preferably diesel & upto 5L) would you recommend as safer buys?
The reason is that I will be travelling with my family, and there is no guarantee whatsoever on the timelines that these manufacturers propose . For all I know, both launches would end up somewhere in 2012, though I really hope they prove me wrong and go for Q1 2011!! I am waiting most for, in order:
- SX4 diesel
- Fiesta hatchback

All, thanks to inform me of any updates you may have on these launches - so if these plans are shelved then I can at least move on with my purchase plans.

Also, I expect to use the car for daily runs to work as well as weekend drives (will justify the diesel). We are only 4 people, with an occasional 5th. It should not be a problem to drive a bigger car to work everyday either - I dont think the extra 1 foot in length will make any difference even in Pune traffic. for those who are from Pune, I have to travel for ~10 km right through town (Kothrud-Koregaon Park)!
Old 14th January 2011, 13:36   #78
Senior - BHPian

I think you should really consider GTO's advice. Owning a new launch definately will give you that special feeling.
You could always buy a good second hand car and use it for a couple of months or a year or so. If not a 800, then maybe something like a hyundai accent. I think you could get one for like a lakh.

Now on the other hand if you are looking for a new car which is already launched here are a few more choices that fit into your budget.

1. Chevrolet Aveo
2. Chevy optra magnum (little bugdet stretch)
3. Current ford fiesta
4. Current hyundai verna
5. Renault logan (only 1 airbag)
6. Maruti ritz
7. Nissan micra
8. Skoda fabia diesel
9. Volkswagen Polo diesel

just a couple of other choices you have.
Let us know what you think.
Regards,
Mash
Old 14th January 2011, 18:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

@mdsaab, I whole heartedly agree with this suggestion. In fact, a couple of friends have suggested that I should buy the car on my ocmpany's name to get tax benefits. If that is the case, I should be able to stretch my budget further as the company budget for me is a bit higher than my cash payment option.
I will then be able to divert some of the cash for accesories & perhaps a Thunderbird? Once the blanket seems bigger, I do tend to extend my feet further
Does some one know if one is able to change alloys of a company owned car for example?

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th January 2011 at 18:20.
Old 15th January 2011, 17:51   #80
Senior - BHPian

Ok. So now you are going to have to fill us in with the new budget. I dont think changing the wheels of the company car should really be a problem. But with a increase in your budget i am guessing most of the cars would already have alloys fitted. And imho its better to stick with the stock alloys and tyre size. Getting a thunderbird. Now thats quite a way to spend the extra cash. Keep us updated.
Old 16th January 2011, 14:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Ok. So now you are going to have to fill us in with the new budget. I dont think changing the wheels of the company car should really be a problem. But with a increase in your budget i am guessing most of the cars would already have alloys fitted. And imho its better to stick with the stock alloys and tyre size. Getting a thunderbird. Now thats quite a way to spend the extra cash. Keep us updated.
Well technically it wont be extra cash, only initial surplus cash flow. I will obviously receive a lower salary each month due to the deduction of EMIs. I am apprehensive if both proposals will be passed at home - especially as I already have another bike (should get rid of that first!) There will of course be suggestions to buy the Nano instead of the Thunderbird. I suspect there will be recommendations at home to go frugal on the car purchase too :(
The budget will only be informed by the company in the next few weeks. hopefully there will be some mark up for the new fiscal year. I also need to ask them if a used car can be bought. Just a back up in case the said launches fall short of expectations/ requirements
Old 17th January 2011, 23:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for a frugal diesel hatch, then i think the ford figo makes a good buy. Its more affordable pricing and decent equipment keeps it ahead of the others in the entry diesel hatch segment. So what bike have you got stashed away in your garage at the moment?
Old 18th January 2011, 03:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

The heart still says SX4, though I am in a real minority here. I would have some more ammunition to fight if the diesel is launched soon.
I have a Honda Shine (I think bought in 2006) ridden very less. I tried to sell it last year, but could not find the RC book :lol
Old 18th January 2011, 09:00   #84
Senior - BHPian

Please do not look at petrol cars any more. Diesel prices also may be increased but atleast they will be pegged at more realistic levels and you will be secured from volatility also to a large extent.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:38   #85
Senior - BHPian

So is it just the sx4 or are you more in favour of a sedan vs a hatch now. To be honest with you. If you plan to keep the car long, i would suggest going in for a sedan. Also the sx4 has some great discounts going around i believe. Its a good size sedan and has great clearance i am told.
Old 19th January 2011, 23:25   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Please do not look at petrol cars any more. Diesel prices also may be increased but atleast they will be pegged at more realistic levels and you will be secured from volatility also to a large extent.
@lurker, I am certainly leaning towards a diesel. The cost part does make it an easier decision!

Quote:
So is it just the sx4 or are you more in favour of a sedan vs a hatch now. To be honest with you. If you plan to keep the car long, i would suggest going in for a sedan. Also the sx4 has some great discounts going around i believe. Its a good size sedan and has great clearance i am told.
well, to be honest I presume I will keep the car for around 4 to 5 years. I dont think a hatch will be enough after another year or so. I cannot afford/ dont want to have two hatchbacks (big & small). The logical decision is to go in for a sedan, so I think the Punto will also be out of consideration soon. I TDed the SX4 VVT, but was somehow not convinced. Maybe it is because all the other cars I TDed were diesel, I had a different set of expectations. If it is the SX4, it has to be the diesel I guess!
Overall IMHO the safest cars (in terms of feel) have been Punto > Manza = SX4 > Figo (bumpers) >>> i20 (steering issues + turbo lag + inconvenient ride - for us!)
I havent TDed the Vista (not interested), the Jazz (couldnt schedule), the City (out of budget), Verna & Fiesta (upgrades due), Polo/ Vento (long waiting time)
It looks like a straight shootout between SX4 and Manza. Any other suggestions?
Old 20th January 2011, 07:46   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Overall IMHO the safest cars (in terms of feel) have been Punto > Manza = SX4 > Figo (bumpers) >>> i20 (steering issues + turbo lag + inconvenient ride - for us!)
I havent TDed the Vista (not interested), the Jazz (couldnt schedule), the City (out of budget), Verna & Fiesta (upgrades due), Polo/ Vento (long waiting time)
It looks like a straight shootout between SX4 and Manza. Any other suggestions?
As GTO mentioned earlier, I still feel the best option for you is to wait for a couple of months - to see if the new Ford is coming up.

And I personally feel that the Figo (Titanium trim) should be a safer option than the duo you mentioned SX4 & Manza. I have no experience with Manza, but when I drove Figo and SX4, I felt the former is more solid. Anyway since you have ruled out hatchbacks, the options are getting narrower .

I still feel that you should again try for test drive of Jazz. It has better space management than many other sedans (including the Honda City). And maybe you should give a thought about the Linea Diesel as well.
Old 20th January 2011, 08:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

So yesterday was being driven around in a trusty Indian rolls royce in kolkata (read that as hm ambassador) we stopped at a traffic light. And i saw a current gen ford fiesta shimmering in the sun waiting on the other crossing. Never have i stared so long at the ford (maybe cause i have been here in kolkata for four months and am starved to get behind the wheel) anyways while staring, i realised that even in current form. Its a pretty good looking car. Then i thought about your thread, and i thought hey this car actually fits the bill perfectly.

Your looking for a diesel sedan now. Have heard the fiesta is a frugal choice, minimal turbolag, good city manners, and everyone on t-bhp knows about its dynamic abilities and feedback rich steering. I would say its decently spacious from when i remember sitting in it. So where's the catch? A newer one may be on its way. But honestly i think its quite a good option even in its current form. So when you come down to pune. If the new model is launched nothing like it. If not i think you would definately be able to get a mouthwatering deal on the current gen. Let me know what you think.
Old 20th January 2011, 14:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
As GTO mentioned earlier, I still feel the best option for you is to wait for a couple of months - to see if the new Ford is coming up.
And I personally feel that the Figo (Titanium trim) should be a safer option than the duo you mentioned SX4 & Manza. I have no experience with Manza, but when I drove Figo and SX4, I felt the former is more solid. Anyway since you have ruled out hatchbacks, the options are getting narrower .
I still feel that you should again try for test drive of Jazz. It has better space management than many other sedans (including the Honda City). And maybe you should give a thought about the Linea Diesel as well.
@vb-san, I agree. I should not jump to conclusions about a shootout between Manza & SX4. I should be considering other cars as of the date I return to India. I guess I will live without a car for a couple of months and complete my bike rides in the interim (or borrow a car from friends for the weekend). I think the clincher is that I will keep the car for a few years, so whats a couple of months. So it seems like more test drives in the first few weeks of April and then a decision. I was initially hoping to get the car home for our anniversary in April, but I will have to think of something else. Its much better to think a little practically
As for the Figo, the head says its perfect for my requirements but this is where the short supply of practicality runs out. The heart yearns for something more to tug at its strings. Better to keep the options open than pay booking amount somewhere & regret later

Quote:
Then i thought about your thread, and i thought hey this car actually fits the bill perfectly
Isnt this what makes tbhp such a fabulous community? During our daily activities, we remember things said by people whom we have never met (hopefully we will correct that soon!) I appreciate all the advise generated here as it is clearly unbiased and provided with an open mind. This is very different from the normal neighbour/ garage fellow/ SA/ friend/ colleague/ relative whose advice may be tainted by some influences/ considerations.

Quote:
Your looking for a diesel sedan now. Have heard the fiesta is a frugal choice, minimal turbolag, good city manners, and everyone on t-bhp knows about its dynamic abilities and feedback rich steering. I would say its decently spacious from when i remember sitting in it. So where's the catch? A newer one may be on its way. But honestly i think its quite a good option even in its current form. So when you come down to pune. If the new model is launched nothing like it. If not i think you would definately be able to get a mouthwatering deal on the current gen. Let me know what you think.
, options reopened, and apologies for the temporary in-the-box thinking! However, I have heard that the old stock is disappearing fast, especially the models that I would require (with airbags etc). Lets see how things have progressed in 8 weeks time!

Revised plans:
TDs - March 25 to April 15/ 25
Booking April end (unless the dream car is found before then!)
This will also help me buy some time for the company to process the papers etc. One more question about this part:
If the car I want to buy is 9.4 L and the company budget is only 9L (non negotiable) then will the showroom be willing to generate an invoice for 9L and let me pay the balance in direct cash? Amount is only an example, I have not yet been told what it will be.
The underlying concern is that I should not lose out on the car of choice, just because of some stupid rulebook at the workplace
Old 20th January 2011, 17:57   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
@vb-san, sorry I missed this in my earlier response. any reason why you think the Figo is more solid? Isnt the lack of proper visible bumpers a negative point? perhaps they are more reinforced, I am not sure. just something I dont know about.
I am being dissuaded from the petrol jazz, maybe if there was a used one in the market, it would offset the cost. Linea Diesel should be also on the list, it was out of budget, but should be OK now with the company loan etc. the problem I see is that when I go to the showroom, the more spacious Manza is standing right there (and its more appealing for better ingress/ egress)

Last edited by selfdrive : 20th January 2011 at 17:59. Reason: spelling check
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks