Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 13:18   #16
BHPian

re: Ritz Vxi or Vista Aqua QDJ? EDIT : Vista QDJ Aqua booked !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
I guess the low seating + the low seat height setting might have caused that feeling. I test drove both the Manza and Ritz and other cars. Can certainly say that since they are taller it feels you have a better view(but its only a perception)
Racer,thats exactly what she felt when she sat in the figo!On the other hand tilt steering in vista helps us to some extent,especially for wifey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I suggest you to go for Ritz VDi - you get the Ritz advantages along with the Diesel advantage. It's the same used in Vista Diesel.
That will further stretch my budget.Not an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If you are thinking of petrol, have you given a though to Vista petrol? what is putting you off from trying the petrol version. You could well get the top end with yout budget and with all the safety features which most of the users have pointed out in case of family expansion.

Why not i10 then? Good mileage and you could get a better deal in exchange for Santro.

The other option ( I dont know if its good enough) is to keep the Santro till your wife is well experienced of the Indian driving conditions and then down the year think of going for a new one by which time both of you will be able to take a prudent decision.
Godhlur,Retaining the santro is an option,but i want a new car. As i mentioned above,i dont get that big car feel in i10 like in the Ritz and Vista and fuel economy of the new i10 is unknown still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Just saw your excel sheet calculations. From my experience, 12-13.5 kmpl with a/c and 13-15 without would be a more realistic expectation in Chennai city for the Ritz. I get 17 kmpl on the highway though. Bumper to bumper traffic ain't going to do any good to your FE. Not sure what the Vista would give under similar circumstances, but being a diesel should definitely be more than what the Ritz petrol would give.
Longhorn,Thanks for the figures.So i guess you own a Ritz petrol.Whats with some fellow BHP'ians claiming 15kmpl in city conditions!Just to give you an idea on my driving style. I'm petty light footed and squeeze 17 kmpl/ on highways in my santro and once even managed 19kmpl doing 65-75kmph.
Old 27th January 2011, 17:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Just saw your excel sheet calculations. From my experience, 12-13.5 kmpl with a/c and 13-15 without would be a more realistic expectation in Chennai city for the Ritz. I get 17 kmpl on the highway though. Bumper to bumper traffic ain't going to do any good to your FE. Not sure what the Vista would give under similar circumstances, but being a diesel should definitely be more than what the Ritz petrol would give.
Expect similar city figures for Vista QJD as well. On highways, you might get 20kmpl if you are extremely light footed. Otherwise, it is almost the same. But the advantage is that diesel is way cheaper than petrol now.

5.09L on road price for Aqua is worth the money. It is an absolute no nonsense car which is very practical. I have covered 30K kms in just over an year and I am happy. But you will have to compromise on safety features.
Old 27th January 2011, 17:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Expect similar city figures for Vista QJD as well. On highways, you might get 20kmpl if you are extremely light footed. Otherwise, it is almost the same. But the advantage is that diesel is way cheaper than petrol now.

5.09L on road price for Aqua is worth the money. It is an absolute no nonsense car which is very practical. I have covered 30K kms in just over an year and I am happy. But you will have to compromise on safety features.
Diesel addict-You are right.But can someone throw some light on the cost recovery part between petrol and dieselMy running would be 1000kms/month max.Im a dud in it.not able to understand the calculations
Old 27th January 2011, 17:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Can someone enlighten me with the cost recovery part in the petrol diesel part as im a disaster in math.The diff between the Ritz and Vista works out to around 47k.
Keep it simple. In your case, the difference in cost of vehicle is 50K. Let us consider that you want to recover those 50000 in 5 years i.e. 10000/year (conservative estimate).
Cost perk Km of Vista (21km/lt avg.) = Rs 2.1
Cost perk Km of Ritz(17km/lt avg.) = Rs 3.7
Difference is saving per Km of driving Vista = 3.7-2.1= Rs 1.6.
To Recover 10000/yr you have to drive 10000/1.6km in a year = 6250Km. That comes out to be Around 521Km/ month!
(Lest someone jumps on me, I have ignored the present worth of future saving as it will somewhat taken care by increased saving with increase in difference of petrol & diesel prices in future. Net worth method assuming 10% Rate of return will enhance the breakeven driving by a factor of 1.3. In your case it will be then 677km/year - worst case scenario).

Last edited by ajay0612 : 27th January 2011 at 18:17.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Delhi traffic, my Alto K10 gave 12 with AC and 14-15 without (now a days). This is a car which has given some members 25 on the highway! In bumper to bumper traffic a diesel car will give better milage than a petrol car, simply due to the fact that low end torque will enable you to plod along in a higher gear. Driven sanely Vista will cross 20 km/l on highways easily.

I would go with the Vista Quadrajet. This is a bigger car and on the whole more comfortable to drive. You will recover your money faster than you think.

One more point, if you transfer your insurance from Santro to your new car, you will get the benefit of the No Claim Bonus, which is quite a bit.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Keep it simple. In your case, the difference in cost of vehicle is 50K. Let us consider that you want to recover those 50000 in 5 years i.e. 10000/year (conservative estimate).
Cost perk Km of Vista (21km/lt avg.) = Rs 2.1
Cost perk Km of Ritz(17km/lt avg.) = Rs 3.7
Difference is saving per Km of driving Vista = 3.7-2.1= Rs 1.6.
To Recover 10000/yr you have to drive 10000/1.6km in a year = 6250Km. That comes out to be Around 521Km/ month!
(Lest someone jups on me, I have ignored the present worth of future saving as it will somewhat taken care of by increased saving with increase in difference of petrol & diesel prices in future. Net worth method assuming 10% Rate of return will enhance the breakeven driving by a factor of 1.3. In your case it will be then 677km/year - worst case scenario).
Thanks a lot Ajay for your effort.I guess i will be better off as i am considering 1000kms/month compared to what you have derived at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In Delhi traffic, my Alto K10 gave 12 with AC and 14-15 without (now a days). This is a car which has given some members 25 on the highway! In bumper to bumper traffic a diesel car will give better milage than a petrol car, simply due to the fact that low end torque will enable you to plod along in a higher gear. Driven sanely Vista will cross 20 km/l on highways easily.

I would go with the Vista Quadrajet. This is a bigger car and on the whole more comfortable to drive. You will recover your money faster than you think.

One more point, if you transfer your insurance from Santro to your new car, you will get the benefit of the No Claim Bonus, which is quite a bit.
Aroy-The insurance part that you have mentioned is something i forgot completely,thanks a lot.But the vista on offer is with the insurance paid for by the delaer for the 1st year.Hope your point will still work from the 2nd year if i stick to the current insurance provider
Old 27th January 2011, 18:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I also have an option to go for the i10 next gen sportz2010 model with a 30k cash discount + exchange bonus(4.82L on road),but i dont fell that i am going up the ladder segment wise and also not sure about its mileage.If someone can throw some light on it.

Can someone enlighten me with the cost recovery part in the petrol diesel part as im a disaster in math.The diff between the Ritz and Vista works out to around 47k.
Hi Sam,

I was in a similar dilemma last month and I eventually opted for the I10. Read my detailed ownership experience of the I10 in my thread at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-dwarfs.html

My different posts in that thread will give you a detailed idea of our experience of buying and running an I10. It also attempts to throw more light on the FE of our I10 as well as benefits of a petrol variant (in comparison to a diesel variant priced Rs 80K extra) for the first 5-odd years, even if one's annual drive is about 15000 kms. If you want further details, you can PM me your email address and I can send you the relevant posts by email.

In my opinion, the I10 Sportz has certainly more frills and fitments than the Ritz VXI. Not sure about the Indica Vista though.

As someone mentioned, you also have the option of having two cars, instead of selling off your car and upgrading to a bigger car. Since I have the Alto LXI (2008) and had a budget of Rs 5 L, I too had a similar option. To sell off the Alto and buy a bigger car (Rs 6.5 L) or to keep the Alto and buy a Rs 5 lakh car. I chose the second option for the following reasons:

1. My wife has a valid driving licence but has lost touch of driving over the years. She is, therefore, a beginner in some sense of the term. Having a 2-yr-old Alto, which has done 40000+ kms, would be a great practice vehicle for her before she "graduates" to the I10. She could then use the Alto at her disposal without the need to 'borrow' my car. With the one-car option this would not have been possible.

2. Having two cars in the family is a added bonus rather than one expensive car, especially if there are two drivers in the family. Both cars can be put to optimal use in tandem. With a one-car option, this flexibility is not possible.

3. With two cars, the family is not stuck/restricted if one of the two cars is in the service station or has been sold off to buy another vehicle.

There are other benefits as well, but you may get the picture.

Point is, if your Santro is doing well, spending Rs 14000 is a small amount for a car that has been reliable so far and has given you a pleasant experience. If well-maintained, the Santro should easily see you past the 1 lakh kms. If you can keep the Santro and buy yourself another car, then you have many options with you. With both cars in your family, you would need to service the Santro after longer intervals, as the other car would also cater to your travel requirements.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Consider the aura ABS vista QJD, just priced a bit more and worth the extra cash. Superb all round VFM diesel car. Aura plus just adds airbags and a 4 spoke steering, thats it.
Old 27th January 2011, 19:01   #24
BHPian

The vista is no doubt a great vehicle, but i think it might be a bit difficult for women to handle for a first time car. The dimensions are a bit big and the hydraulic steering is hard compared with the other cars. My wife has a tough time managing it in Bangalore traffic, being a first time driver. I would suggest revisit the Figo and give it another shot. I think after the vista, the figo is the best VFM and is more compact.
Old 27th January 2011, 19:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Hi Sam,

I was in a similar dilemma last month and I eventually opted for the I10. Read my detailed ownership experience of the I10 in my thread at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-dwarfs.html

My different posts in that thread will give you a detailed idea of our experience of buying and running an I10. It also attempts to throw more light on the FE of our I10 as well as benefits of a petrol variant (in comparison to a diesel variant priced Rs 80K extra) for the first 5-odd years, even if one's annual drive is about 15000 kms. If you want further details, you can PM me your email address and I can send you the relevant posts by email.

In my opinion, the I10 Sportz has certainly more frills and fitments than the Ritz VXI. Not sure about the Indica Vista though.

As someone mentioned, you also have the option of having two cars, instead of selling off your car and upgrading to a bigger car. Since I have the Alto LXI (2008) and had a budget of Rs 5 L, I too had a similar option. To sell off the Alto and buy a bigger car (Rs 6.5 L) or to keep the Alto and buy a Rs 5 lakh car. I chose the second option for the following reasons:

1. My wife has a valid driving licence but has lost touch of driving over the years. She is, therefore, a beginner in some sense of the term. Having a 2-yr-old Alto, which has done 40000+ kms, would be a great practice vehicle for her before she "graduates" to the I10. She could then use the Alto at her disposal without the need to 'borrow' my car. With the one-car option this would not have been possible.

2. Having two cars in the family is a added bonus rather than one expensive car, especially if there are two drivers in the family. Both cars can be put to optimal use in tandem. With a one-car option, this flexibility is not possible.

3. With two cars, the family is not stuck/restricted if one of the two cars is in the service station or has been sold off to buy another vehicle.

There are other benefits as well, but you may get the picture.

Point is, if your Santro is doing well, spending Rs 14000 is a small amount for a car that has been reliable so far and has given you a pleasant experience. If well-maintained, the Santro should easily see you past the 1 lakh kms. If you can keep the Santro and buy yourself another car, then you have many options with you. With both cars in your family, you would need to service the Santro after longer intervals, as the other car would also cater to your travel requirements.
Misquitas-Thanks for your suggestion,but I cant afford to own,maintain & run 2 cars right now.And moreover parking constraints around where we live.We certainly look forward to your scenario in the next 4 to 5 years..god willing

Moreover,i have been through your fantastic log for inputs on the new i10 and i must say you are getting superb efficiency for a new car.Any idea on other nextgen i10's economy as well!!
Old 27th January 2011, 20:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Misquitas-Thanks for your suggestion,but I cant afford to own,maintain & run 2 cars right now.And moreover parking constraints around where we live.We certainly look forward to your scenario in the next 4 to 5 years..god willing

Moreover,i have been through your fantastic log for inputs on the new i10 and i must say you are getting superb efficiency for a new car.Any idea on other nextgen i10's economy as well!!
True, if you have difficulties in owning, maintaining and even parking two cars, then my entire two-car argument falls flat. Since your wife is planning to hone her driving skills, I would suggest that you get her to practice on your Santro well before you buy a new car. Else, you could end up jeopardizing key components (clutch plate, etc.) of the new car.

Thanks for your comments on our experiences of the I10. It indeed is a great car with nice features and capable of delivering under different conditions. I have no idea of the I10 1.1 IRDE2 FE and I would be interesting in these inputs from IRDE2 owners.
Old 28th January 2011, 11:09   #27
BHPian

Got a call from the TATA showroom that 2010 vista refresh model is available as well with an additional discount of Rs.10000/- which now makes its 4.99 on road and even more affordable

Does driving diesel cars in the city with frequent switching on/off the engine mean more wear and tear than a petrol.Since my driving will be 65%in city traffic. is this something to worry about?
Old 28th January 2011, 13:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Does driving diesel cars in the city with frequent switching on/off the engine mean more wear and tear than a petrol.Since my driving will be 65%in city traffic. is this something to worry about?
Frequent start-stop affects battery life. In diesel cars the battery usually is more powerful than that of petrol car. So the life remains similar.
Old 28th January 2011, 19:00   #29
BHPian

Indica vista diesel
Pros:
Spacious family hatch.You will always have that big car feel.
Excellent value for money.
Diesel economy, esp. considering the soaring diesel prices.
Cons:
Bit difficult to drive when compared to ritz becasue of the big dimensions.

Go for the diesel vista.
Old 28th January 2011, 19:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from the TATA showroom that 2010 vista refresh model is available as well with an additional discount of Rs.10000/- which now makes its 4.99 on road and even more affordable
So now you have all the reason to get the Vista

1. Diesel
2. Reasonable cost
3. Bigger cabin

I do not think that Vista will depreciate more than the Ritz, as there is very reasonable demand for personal Indica by the taxi operators. Another plus point is that emergency repairs can be carried out by most taxi operators in case you are stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Most Viewed