Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2006, 10:46   #16
BHPian

Hello Anshuman,

Even ALTO-Lxi of 2000 to 2003 model are priced at 2.25 lacs to 2.8 lacs.
So, i wanted to know that If i buy a santro of 1999-model as mentioned as filcord above, does it give any engine problems after 2 or 3 years (totally 9 yrs)? bcoz it's already completed 60,000 kms. I'm asking you people this question bcoz i dont have any basic knowledge on cars. Is it like after some years or KMS the engine gives major problems or Repair ??

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 10th January 2006, 11:41   #17
Team-BHP Support

A well maintained santro will require the following repairs after so much use so factor in the price
1. Bearing replacement
2. Suspension work. Old santro's were delicate in that dept(Personal expirience)
3. Brake system repair. (Master cylinder etc.,)
4. AC. In bangalore weather you wont notice the degradation, so try in heat, AC compressor jobs are expensive and santro ac quality sucks.
5. Check the cam seals, power steering pipe etc., they are rubber parts prone to corrosion damage. Repair cost in region of 2000rs.
6. Look for sounds when steering is towards extremes. Bearing faliure can be expensive.
1999 santro should be very very cheap < 1.5lakh if done 60000+ as flicord suggested, for your budget I suggest take the new engined Zipdrive which came out in 2001 I think.
Peppier and with improvements. Try looking for a 30000kms car in your budget. It will run another 20000 without any problems so you actually have more than 2 years of tension free performance.

The engines and electricals are bullet proof, the body is crappy. So take a thorough test drive and listen for thunk thunk sounds.
Old 10th January 2006, 11:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Used car rates in Chennai is little cheaper than in Banglore. Dont even look the prices in Mumbai and ignore the values mentioned by mumbai guys

Here a 2001 fully loadded santro will fetch you somewhere around 1.9 L-2.0 L. Rough estimate would be 10-15k extra in Bangalore. Hence you can look for a 2001 model fully loaded santro. Look for the direct seller through online (www.carsalesindia.com) and classified advertisement. Car brokers will have a margin of 40 k and takes the cake based on your negotiation skills. Look patiently and take ur time to finalize as you have plans to keep it for next 4-5 yrs
Old 10th January 2006, 11:57   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Used car rates in Chennai is little cheaper than in Banglore. Dont even look the prices in Mumbai and ignore the values mentioned by mumbai guys

Here a 2001 fully loadded santro will fetch you somewhere around 1.9 L-2.0 L. Rough estimate would be 10-15k extra in Bangalore. Hence you can look for a 2001 model fully loaded santro. Look for the direct seller through online (www.carsalesindia.com) and classified advertisement. Car brokers will have a margin of 40 k and takes the cake based on your negotiation skills. Look patiently and take ur time to finalize as you have plans to keep it for next 4-5 yrs
I can't agree more That is what I said earlier. For around 2.25L I have purchased (actually my very close buddy, I was there though throughout the deal) a top-end fully loaded Santro GS of 2000-2001 vintage (in late 2004). This car had 38K on the ODO and came with a 6 month warranty and 2 free service from the Hyundai dealership.

Now if the dealership can give u a well-speced car at such prices after factoring in all the overheads it should come cheaper elsewhere. So remember this. Used car dealers always jack up the prices skyhigh and then start the negotiations.

BTW Manju, here the dealership was offering a year old Santro Xing XG with barely 15K on the ODO with all the warranties for 3.1L... Thats about what you said you were being asked for in Bangalore for really old cars. Beware!
Old 10th January 2006, 12:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
I can't agree more That is what I said earlier. For around 2.25L I have purchased (actually my very close buddy, I was there though throughout the deal) a top-end fully loaded Santro GS of 2000-2001 vintage (in late 2004). This car had 38K on the ODO and came with a 6 month warranty and 2 free service from the Hyundai dealership.

Now if the dealership can give u a well-speced car at such prices after factoring in all the overheads it should come cheaper elsewhere. So remember this. Used car dealers always jack up the prices skyhigh and then start the negotiations.

BTW Manju, here the dealership was offering a year old Santro Xing XG with barely 15K on the ODO with all the warranties for 3.1L... Thats about what you said you were being asked for in Bangalore for really old cars. Beware!
Zappo, do you mean the prices I mentioned here are way high? If so whats the current value you say for a fully loaded 2001 model santro
Old 15th January 2006, 20:36   #21
BHPian

Hello Team,

I visited Trident Hyundai Used Cars showroom in Bangalore.
The cars rates looks pretty high for me..
For an 2000 Santro LE 59K on ODO the price is 2.2lacs.
and most santros with AC & Powersteering with an 60K on ODO + 2000,2001 models is in the price range of 2.25lacs to 2.6 lacs. Is theese cars worth for this price ?

If i buy an santro 2000 model with 60k on ODO , can i use this car for 4 yrs without much maintainance.. If if get any problems .. what may be the problems + price for the same.

And also is it advisable to buy an ZEN-Lx of 1998 with 59k on ODO for 1.65 lacs AND Alto Lx of 2001 with 51k on ODO for 2.1lacs (which is posted on http://www.marutitruevalue.com). can i use this car for 4 yrs without much maintainance.. If if get any problems .. what may be the problems + price for the same.

And one more question.. I have seen in many threads on this website that .. CARS will run without any major problems for 5 years.... Then what about after Five years (bcoz.. this information may be usefull for Used Car buyers)..

Thanks in Advance !!!
Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 18th January 2006, 15:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmanju
Hello Team,

For an 2000 Santro LE 59K on ODO the price is 2.2lacs.
and most santros with AC & Powersteering with an 60K on ODO + 2000,2001 models is in the price range of 2.25lacs to 2.6 lacs. Is theese cars worth for this price ?
They take customers for a ride. Good condition 2000 Santro LE will fetch approximately around 1.7L.

Quote:
If i buy an santro 2000 model with 60k on ODO , can i use this car for 4 yrs without much maintainance.. If if get any problems .. what may be the problems + price for the same.
My personal opinion is it will give u troubles. I had seen atleast 4 santro's that started to give trouble after it reached 70K range on the odometer. They needs to work on Suspension, engine bearing rods, clutch plates etc etc. That cost them around 35k. I had seen all 4 of them ended with the same thing, though the amount of work involved varied between the parties in that range

Quote:
And one more question.. I have seen in many threads on this website that .. CARS will run without any major problems for 5 years.... Then what about after Five years (bcoz.. this information may be usefull for Used Car buyers)..
After 5 yrs there are more possibility of car giving you trouble due to excessive wear and tear. Nothing could be done on this. Not all cars will end up with the same fate, but majority of them
Old 18th January 2006, 15:59   #23
BHPian

Hello Surprise,

Thanks for the information.
By going through your reply.. i'm scared a littlebit for buying a used car.
So, whats will be your suggestion?? I have to BUY a car (i'm afraid of driving bike in bangalore traffic) and also i'm that much rich to buy a new CAR.
Please suggest.....

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 18th January 2006, 16:26   #24
BHPian

your best option is to buy direct from the seller, in bangalore, the user car market runs at about 20 to 40K higher than the actual going rate. Watch online used car listings, go through Admag, and have someone keep a watch on the infosys and wipro bulletin boards. I can assure you you'll get a car within a month.
While buying a car, take someone along who can give you an informed opinion about the condition of the car.

I'd reccomend a santro 2001 or 2002 model or even an alto Lx 2002-2003 model.
Old 18th January 2006, 17:26   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey bro,
i would reccomend you do a google search for 'used cars india'. You will get some good links to good proper sites.
In Mumbai, a good used car would be available in the price range you have quoted.
I would advise you to look for a Palio 1.2 an then convert it to LPG.
You should get one in Banglore for 2L with Power Steering and the spares aren't all that more expensive then the Santros.
Old 18th January 2006, 17:27   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Zappo, do you mean the prices I mentioned here are way high? If so whats the current value you say for a fully loaded 2001 model santro
Sorry... did not see the post earlier. No, in fact I fully agree with the price you quoted. In fact that is what even an evaluator (from the finance cos) will price it at.
Old 18th January 2006, 17:46   #27
Team-BHP Support

Manjunath... I understand your predicament. It is also true that the markup on the used cars is always on the higher side if you go to a dealer. You have to know how to bargain... and you actually have to negotiate the guys brains out to get the deal.

I do not think the Marutis are worth the deal either. The zen sounds too old and the Alto too costly. Again, TrueValues also negotiate... But you have to know once again how to do that.

As suggested try to locate a direct seller. That way you will get a much better deal. Also, keep checking the bulletin boards of Infy, Wipro, Satyam etc... I see a different car on the block everyday. They are well maintained cars and are normally priced well.

Another option... did you try talking to a financier? Recently my friend inquired about the used car rates from ICICI. On saying that he is yet to find the right car but was actively searching he was helped by the executive with a new info everyday till he rejected 3 of them (actually he was not going to buy just then) and the executive's enthu faded off. Mind you they were all real sellers and the deals (at least 2 of them) were not so bad. So try that avenue as well.
Old 12th February 2006, 07:45   #28
BHPian

Hello All,

How will be a Used FIAT-UNO in Bangalore.
Are there any Spares problem ? (Tata-Fiat tieup)

I'm finding difficult to get an GOOD condition Used SANTRO/Wagon-r within 2 lacs.

Please advice me......

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 13th February 2006, 15:50   #29
BHPian

Hello Guy's......... POST YOUR VIEWS ....
Old 14th February 2006, 12:30   #30
BHPian

There is one more source for used cars.. They are company classifieds sections at companies like Infosys, Wipro, HP etc.. I work in HP and I find lot of good deals on used cars sold by fellow employees.. I find this a much safer way and will be easier to negotiate.. as many sell out new cars etc as they relocate/travel for long terms etc.. you should explore with ur friends a bit about it..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks