Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2006, 08:54   #1
BHPian

Help me to Buy an Used Car

Hello All,

Happy New Year for all.
Please help me to buy an used car in bangalore.
I'm planning to buy an used car in bangalore in another 3 months. This will be my first car and i'm looking for an entry level small car. I may travel around 20 kms per day and usually only 2 members. I need an good Mileage car with nice comfort (seating comfort). My budject is below 2.25 lacs with finance option. I have gone through many threads in this site and got confused between many small cars. Personally i dont like Maritu 800. Please suggest me a small entry level car. Basically i'm looking for a confortable car with power steering.

Thanks in Advance !!!

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 4th January 2006, 09:23   #2
BHPian

Alto, Wagon R and Santro are the things u should be going for. Please keep in mind DO NOT GO FOR A DIESEL CAR!

out of these, Wagon R is the most comfortable and great ride. while Santro looks better than the Wagon R, but aint as comfy and nice from inside, the engine too is better in Wagon R.

Alto is alto, a much better 800 cc car. it will surely give u more mileage than the above mentioned, but then it all depends on what comfort level u want. All these cars are cheap in maintainence, while Santro and Alto being cheapest. Wagon R would be same or a lil more. do check it out.

Have a test drive of all these three, and u will get a clearer idea.

btw, u might also look in for a PALIO if MILEAGE is not ur main priority, as ur running is very less, Palio is a nice car, looks good, very sturdy, but heavy on Mileage and Maintainence. u will surely get a Palio for around 2.5lk.

hope this helps...
Old 4th January 2006, 10:12   #3
BHPian

Hello All,

Adding some more info.. while referring other threads.

* my height is 5.11.
* I'm planning to keep this car for another 4 to 5 years.
and also pls suggest me where can i find used cars in bangalore and also what may be the good deal thru finance ( price, intrest rate etc.), im planning to make a downpayment around 75k.

Please tell me why not an diesel car (indica) as mentioned earlier by iNsAnE dEvIl.

What is the mileage of PALIO (i like palio).

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 4th January 2006, 11:27   #4
BHPian

For your height, I would not recommend the Palio, as I myself (6'0") found my head quite close to the roof for comfort and even banged once or twice going over potholes n breakers.

Moreover, a Palio would give you more maintenence problems which is not a good experience on your first car.

Would recommend a Wagon-R or a Santro anyday - both are excellent vehicles with easy drivability, good FE, loads of space and very low maintenance costs.

IMHO, the peace-of-mind & convenience factor which is very important in a first car, can only be got in these two - the Palio will become like an elephant demanding more out of your pocket as the years go by (also, it drives like an elephant in our crowded cities with its humongous turning radius - sorry palio guys - but this problem has often gotten me into trouble).
Old 4th January 2006, 12:05   #5
BHPian

Hello All,
As per goldie_malhotra's suggestion i decided to go for WAGON-R or SANTRO.
which will be cheaper in Bangalore? is is better to buy theese from Maruti True Value / Trident Hyundai Used Cars OR any normal USED car Dealers.
what would be the best deal for 3 yr old SANTRO & WAGON-R ?
Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 4th January 2006, 12:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmanju
Hello All,
As per goldie_malhotra's suggestion i decided to go for WAGON-R or SANTRO.
which will be cheaper in Bangalore? is is better to buy theese from Maruti True Value / Trident Hyundai Used Cars OR any normal USED car Dealers.
what would be the best deal for 3 yr old SANTRO & WAGON-R ?
Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Hey Manjunath... From the sounds of it all you do need something like a Wagon-R, Santro or an Alto. You said earlier you plan to keep the car for 4-5 years. Again you do not want to go beyond 2.25L. All these things together make it a tough problem.

After 5 years your used car will probably be around 9 years or so old. In such a circumstance you got to consider that it will fetch you a very low resale value. Secondly, for around 2.4L you can get a good used Santro LS or if you are lucky even a Santro GS. Ditto with Wagon-R. But any of these will be 4 to 5 years old with at least 40,000kms on the odo.

Let me give you a benchmark. Last year my friend purchased a pre-owned Santro GS (then top of the line, fully loaded) in Hyderabad from Talwar Hyundai. It came with 1 year's (or 10,000 kms, whichever is early) warranty, had some 38000+ kms on the odo. Now, for such a deal you will need to be on the lookout. At either Hyundai or Maruti (TrueValue) you may not get the best car rightaway. You will have to keep visiting them. It took my friend 3 months to get the car he was looking for. In fact when that car came in at Talwars he had already booked another car elsewhere. He had to forfeit the 5000 rupees he had paid to hold the car.

So be careful and on your toes. It pays to negotiate hard with second-hand car dealers. Maruti TrueValue (only for Marutis) and Hyundai Dealers (only for Hyundais) are good bet. But here also you will need to negotiate.

Alto will come much newer at your budget but I feel it will be a bit too tight squeeze for your height. Wont be so comfy.
Old 4th January 2006, 13:40   #7
BHPian

Hello All,
What about your opinions about MATIZ. Can i get MATIZ for cheap in bangalore (if yes... what may be the price).
What about the Service ?? Spare Parts?? and RUMOURS about MATIZ.

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 4th January 2006, 14:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello All,
What about your opinions about MATIZ. Can i get MATIZ for cheap in bangalore (if yes... what may be the price).
What about the Service ?? Spare Parts?? and RUMOURS about MATIZ.

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
I would say do not even think about it.
Old 4th January 2006, 15:50   #9
BHPian

In Europe, Chevrolet has already released revamped version of Matiz (same as old car with some cosmetic changes).
It is expected that they will do the same in India also.
However, as per current situation, Matiz is no longer in the market. Matiz is a good car - but no one really knows its future.
If you buy Santro, WagonR or Alto - you won't regret.
Since you're looking for a used car, first try to get Alto VX model. If found, go for it.
However, for your height probably Santro will be most comfortable for you.
WagonR is also good - but some people are put off by its look.
Remember, Alto, Santro, WagonR are all good cars. They are available a plenty in used car market so I reckon that you'll definitely get a good bargain.
If you fancy, you can even get an automatic version of Santro

Diesel cars are not recommended for low mileage use.

Last edited by sbasak : 4th January 2006 at 15:52.
Old 6th January 2006, 11:19   #10
BHPian

Hello All,
Finally... I'm made a decission to go with SANTRO from HYUNDAI Used cars Showroom (bcoz.. normal used car dealers may cheat). Is this an WISE Decission ??? or else guide me...
Please guide me which model i have look for w.r.t my budjet ie. 2.25 lacs.
power steering is must for me.

Any TIPS from BHPian's the may help me while buying a santro.

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 6th January 2006, 12:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello All,
Finally... I'm made a decission to go with SANTRO from HYUNDAI Used cars Showroom (bcoz.. normal used car dealers may cheat). Is this an WISE Decission ??? or else guide me...

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
You should be able to get hold of a decent 3-4 years old Santro with around 40K on the odo. How good a deal you manage to get depends on your negotiating skills. My friend got virtually everything on a top-end model at that kind of cost along with a year's (or was it 6 months!) warranty on it.
Old 7th January 2006, 15:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Santro Lp

Quote:
Hello All,

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
You should be able to get a good Santro LP with 30-50K on the od for that range. I have a Santro LP 2002 OCT with 32K on the clock, excellent condition for which the brokers are quoting 225 top. I've decided not to sell it as my son will get into drivable age soon and will demand a car anyway !!!!!!!!

-- Ramky.

================
Old 7th January 2006, 17:09   #13
BHPian

Here is a benchmark: Sold my Nov '99 Santro (base model with a/c only) 66,000 km, very well maintained (of course), in Jan 2005 for Rs 1.55 lac.
Old 9th January 2006, 21:28   #14
BHPian

Hello All,

I have visited the stalls of Maruti true value & Hundai last sunday and found that the prices as high in bangalore.
I saw some 2000 & 2001 santro-LE models for 2,40,000 to 2,80,000 (40 to 50 kms on the ODO).
and wagon-r LXI/VXI of 2000 & 2001 models for 2,80,000 to 3,10,000 (40 to 60 kms on the ODO).
On the above prices i can negotiaite around 10k, thats it. Which is not fit into my budect, my budjet if within 2.25 lacs.

If i buy a santro of 1999-model as mentioned as filcord above, does it give any engine problems after 2 or 3 years? bcoz it's already completed 60,000 kms. I'm asking you people this question bcoz i dont have any basic knowledge on cars. Is it like after some years or KMS the engine gives major problems or Repair ??

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 9th January 2006, 23:42   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

try to find a used alto lxi,it perfectly suits your purpose and is cheap to run and maintain,and will retain value in long term.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks