Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2006, 19:04   #1
BHPian

Help me buy a second hand hatchback

Hello folks,

I am planning on buying a second hand car (hatchback) mainly for modding it up. Right now, I drive a Santro ZipDrive. Though the mileage is great, the car looks like an overblown baloon

After going through some of the posts in the forums, I have narrowed down my list to Zen, Swift and Palio.
My budget is anywhere between 2-3 lakhs.
The two main important things I am looking for in the car are power and mileage (should be 12+ w/o AC)

Your tips and suggestions for the same will be of great help.

Off topic, Are there any places in Kochi where you can get your car modded?

Regards,
PSY
Old 14th January 2006, 19:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaps3
After going through some of the posts in the forums, I have narrowed down my list to Zen, Swift and Palio.
My budget is anywhere between 2-3 lakhs.
For that budget you wont get a Swift. Strike it off the list, since its not available even if you want to buy it new.

Your choices are probably the Zen and the Palio 1.2. I would suggest the Zen since it would be a faster car than the 1.2 Palio and it is quite economical as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaps3
The two main important things I am looking for in the car are power and mileage (should be 12+ w/o AC)
You do want quite a lot, dont you????

Modding in Cochin - please contact TBHP member Artofzen. I know of a few places, but they do bits and pieces and not the whole hog. You may also want to contact TBHP member K Suresh who has done a great job of cutting his Indica petrol into half. He is not an active member of the forum in the sense that he reads but does not post. PM me and I will give you his number.

Welcome to TBHP, go through the announcements section and read the rules. Enjoy your stay here and make our stay enjoyable too.
Old 14th January 2006, 19:35   #3
BHPian

Hey, thanks for the quicky reply.

Quote:
You do want quite a lot, dont you????
Just being a bit too optimistic

Hope to get a few more opinions on this. I am not planning on doing much to the car. This is just going to be a hobby to learn a bit about car modding. Later might throw in a few body mods and turn the baby into a sweet looking monster...

Regards,
PSY
Old 15th January 2006, 03:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

get the palio 1.6

even if you dont mod it up it will eat up the competition like anything.

and now you will also have tata network backing to help you get that all important maintainence and service.
Old 15th January 2006, 10:25   #5
BHPian

Since you are stressing on the mileage front, the Palio is ruled out otherwise that would be a great car.

And like Steeroid mentioned, the swift is out of your budget so you are only left with the zen. A nice car but dated.

I would still suggest the Palio.
Old 15th January 2006, 12:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

For driving pleasure and sheer performance, get the Palio. But then u shouldn't be looking at the FE.

Are u willing to shell out 3lacs just the car, or is it including the mods? Cuz then, u will have no option other than the Zen, which u'll most prob get under 2lacs
Old 15th January 2006, 13:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you are lucky, you can get a Alto VXi 1.1 (which is now discontinued and you may get at cheaper price). Otherwise, I suggest Zen or Palio GTX (only if you are not concerned with FE).
Old 15th January 2006, 13:52   #8
BHPian

What is the FE of Palio 1.2/1.6? I will mostly be driving in very less traffic with no AC.

Quote:
Are u willing to shell out 3lacs just the car, or is it including the mods?
A max of 3 lakhs is just for the car. Hopefully will keep on trying out various mods as and when I get my hands on some moolah.

How much would a second hand Palio cost? and what are the things that I should look for when buying one.

Thank you all for your replies.

PS: Would be great if some TBHP members from Kochi could help me out with this.

Thanks and Regards,
PSY

Last edited by psynaps3 : 15th January 2006 at 13:56.
Old 15th January 2006, 15:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

You'd be lucky to get over 10 kmpl in traffic with the Palio.

Modded hatchback = ZEN ZEN ZEN!!! Some of the insane stuff being carried out with Zens these days would make your eyes pop out.

Pick up a 2000+ model Zen, you should find one pretty easily in your 3 lakh budget. You will get upto 18 kmpl with responsible driving in city conditions.
Old 15th January 2006, 15:58   #10
BHPian

I think I will finalze on the Zen, even though a Palio would have been great. FE of under 10 is a big no no for me in the long run.

Now all I need is a lit of mods I could try out so that I can start researching on the same. Let the ideas flow in

Thanks
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:11   #11
BHPian

Help Needed To Buy Used Hatchback!

Hey guys,
I'm a student living in Chandigarh and am planning to buy a small car which is fun to drive and not too tough on my pocket! My budget is about 3 to 3.5 lacs.

Is it possible to get a decent swift petrol (lxi/vxi) for this much money??
IF not, what are my options??

PLEASE HELP!!
Cheers,
Arsenik
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0 View Post
And like Steeroid mentioned, the swift is out of your budget so you are only left with the zen.
Wonder if a used swift would not be available within his budget (2-3 lacs)
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaps3 View Post
Hello folks,

I am planning on buying a second hand car (hatchback) mainly for modding it up.
What kind of mods are on your mind?
Palio is not a car for too much Mods. I have seen people using a Conical Air filter and Automech Exhaust but that is it. Do not think of turbo charging it. Because in case you thinking of turbo charging the Palio 1.2, better go for the 1.6 and In case you thinking of turbo charginf the 1.6, there aint any space left under the hood.
For mods like turbo charging, Swift and Zen are better options and there are people who have done it so you do have some reliability. BUt all this and the FE do not go hand in hand. Also, Swift doesnt come so cheap in the used car market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaps3 View Post

Your tips and suggestions for the same will be of great help.
My suggestion is that up your budget a little and go for the Diesel Swift. You should get all of what you want. Power, Mileage and Performance. Make sure you upsize your tyres though.
Old 22nd October 2008, 21:20   #14
BHPian

ya well would it be better for me to buy a new Santro Xing instead?? any suggestions?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks