Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 13:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Hi all,

I currently own a December 2005 Swift Vxi Petrol. It has done around 63k kms till date and still running strong. It is shod with 15" X 6.5" OZ Racing rims with 205/55/R15 Yokohama S-Drives. I mostly drive in the city and do around 100 kms a day. I drive out of town probably once in 6 months or so. I am totally in love with the car and love it specifically for its handling and stiffer suspension as it is driven by me alone almost 90% of the time. The rest of the time is with my parents or friends.

I would now like to go for a bigger car and looking for a sedan with similar or better characteristics of the Swift in terms of feel and handling. I was first looking at the hatches and my choices were the Hyundai i20, VW Polo 1.2/1.6, Honda Jazz and even the new 2011 Swift due to launch soon.

However, since I already experienced a hatch, I though of going in for a sedan instead. My choices are - Ford Fiesta, Maruti Suzuki SX4, Skoda Octavia, VW Vento, & Hyundai Verna.

Other than the sporty feel and handling that I get in the Swift, my main requirements and most important are the after sales service. I am so used to the flawless after sales of Maruti Suzuki that I don't want to experience anything less!

Except for the VWs, the above hatches & sedans mentioned have also aged now. What do you guys suggest I do? My budget is 10L max and I plan to buy this car by December 2011 or January 2012.

Last edited by Epic : 6th April 2011 at 13:33.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

VW Vento it is! You'll be surprised how many Vento owners on this forum are Swift drivers! The ride and handling is unmatchable and you can't go wrong with either the TDI or the petrol (which I own in AT avatar).

Only thing is that A.S.S. is still unproven but reports trickling in seem to suggest they are no better or worse than every other auto maker out there. Since they're now sellig over 8000 Polo + Ventos a month, I expect VW wil iron out their service strategy soon enough. Worth taking the plunge methinks!

Fiesta 1.6 petrol may also meet your requirements and by the time you buy the latest version will be out. Ditto the Verna (Accent) which has already been launched if I am not mistaken. Do check those out as well.

And while we're at it, why not the ANHC?
Old 6th April 2011, 14:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I would now like to go for a bigger car and looking for a sedan with similar or better characteristics of the Swift in terms of feel and handling
My choices are - Ford Fiesta, Maruti Suzuki SX4, Skoda Octavia, VW Vento, & Hyundai Verna.

I am so used to the flawless after sales of Maruti Suzuki that I don't want to experience anything less!
You got the answer in your post buddy.
Yes, it's SX4 Diesel
This is the best car that fits into your budget.

Don't ever consider Skodas, unless you have a heavy pocket.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:06   #4
BHPian

Epic, Petrol or Diesel? 3000kms a month is clearly diesel territory IMHO.
Either ways, check out the all new Fiesta launching April 14th. It is said to have a ride and handling combo that is a class ahead of current category benchmarks - the Linea and current Fiesta (source: Autocar).
I graduated from a Swift to the Fiesta 1.6 and if you loved the Swift for it's handling and feel, you will go absolutely ga-ga over the Fiesta. Atleast I did! The only drawback to the Fiesta is it's rather cramped interiors, compared to say the City, but if you are driving alone 90% of the time this shouldn't be an issue at all.
Wait for the all new Fiesta - it might just tick all the right boxes for you. And it should be within your budget quite easily.
Also, the All new Verna is coming too so you might want to check that out as well.
PS:I assume you did not add the T-Jet to your list because of the A**? Also, not looking at the second hand market?
Old 6th April 2011, 14:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Wait for the new Fiesta, its supposed to a drivers delight.

Or else - VW Vento.

100kms a day means you will need a diesel, and the VW Vento has some 'real' torque generator under the hood.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My choices are - Ford Fiesta, Maruti Suzuki SX4, Skoda Octavia, VW Vento, & Hyundai Verna.
Look out for the New Fiesta sedan. And the other option from your list is the Vento.

By the way, you have Skoda Octavia listed. Are you looking for a pre-owned one, or what you meant was the Laura?

Quote:
My budget is 10L max and I plan to buy this car by December 2011 or January 2012.
Dec 2011 / Jan 2012 is quite far. You may have more options by then
Old 6th April 2011, 15:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My budget is 10L max and I plan to buy this car by December 2011 or January 2012.
@Epic We're in the same boat. I am in for a year end purchase too and am a Swift Vxi owner.

Is it just me or the times have indeed changed. Despite his high running, he has not specified whether he prefers petrol or diesel car. Despite this nobody has suggested ANHC (despite him not including it in the list)

BTW, there is a lot of time before the turn of the year and you will indeed do better to wait for a while. Reason?

1. Try new Fiesta.
2. Try new Verna.
3. Fiat T-Jet, despite the average A.S.S (a lot more is made out of it than it actually is).

Pick up a Vento TDI if you don't like either of them (or even if you like them but just feel Vento is better).
PS: You may have figured out by now that I am not a big ANHC fan. Reason? I'd better pick up pre-onwed CIVIC for 2/3rd the price of new ANHC and enjoy the high quality interiors)

Quote:
VW Vento it is! You'll be surprised how many Vento owners on this forum are Swift drivers! The ride and handling is unmatchable and you can't go wrong with either the TDI or the petrol (which I own in AT avatar).
@noopster Absolutely! I am in too. I haven't booked the car because I plan to get it towards the end of the year. And I also want to wait to see if I can extend my budget to buy new Jetta (for the love of high quality interiors). As of today, its either Vento (current budget) or 'new' Jetta (some windfall gain; wife convincing)

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 6th April 2011 at 15:30.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

want a deal? Outgoing Fiesta
wanna drive? New Fiesta (as per reviews)
practicality? SX4 Diesel
practicality at a slightly higher cost? Vento
passionate? Linea MJD/TJet, Cedia
play safe? ANHC
Old 6th April 2011, 16:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys!!

Thank you so much!!! I am overwhelmed by your responses and hence will reply to each of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Only thing is that A.S.S. is still unproven but reports trickling in seem to suggest they are no better or worse than every other auto maker out there. Since they're now sellig over 8000 Polo + Ventos a month, I expect VW wil iron out their service strategy soon enough. Worth taking the plunge methinks!

Fiesta 1.6 petrol may also meet your requirements and by the time you buy the latest version will be out. Ditto the Verna (Accent) which has already been launched if I am not mistaken. Do check those out as well.

And while we're at it, why not the ANHC?
I have heard rave reviews about the Vento. The only thing troubling me is the after sales service especially since VW is connected to Skoda!! Yes will also look at the new Fiesta and Verna.

I do not find the City worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
You got the answer in your post buddy.
Yes, it's SX4 Diesel
This is the best car that fits into your budget.

Don't ever consider Skodas, unless you have a heavy pocket.
Yes the SX4 diesel is also on the cards, the only hitch is that its pretty outdated now. When I bought my Swift in 2005, it always got a second look being a new model in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Epic, Petrol or Diesel? 3000kms a month is clearly diesel territory IMHO.
Either ways, check out the all new Fiesta launching April 14th. It is said to have a ride and handling combo that is a class ahead of current category benchmarks - the Linea and current Fiesta (source: Autocar).
I graduated from a Swift to the Fiesta 1.6 and if you loved the Swift for it's handling and feel, you will go absolutely ga-ga over the Fiesta. Atleast I did! The only drawback to the Fiesta is it's rather cramped interiors, compared to say the City, but if you are driving alone 90% of the time this shouldn't be an issue at all.
Wait for the all new Fiesta - it might just tick all the right boxes for you. And it should be within your budget quite easily.
Also, the All new Verna is coming too so you might want to check that out as well.
PS:I assume you did not add the T-Jet to your list because of the A**? Also, not looking at the second hand market?
Didn't consider Fiat only for its lack of after sales services.

An also important point you have made is choosing a diesel over a petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Look out for the New Fiesta sedan. And the other option from your list is the Vento.

By the way, you have Skoda Octavia listed. Are you looking for a pre-owned one, or what you meant was the Laura?

Dec 2011 / Jan 2012 is quite far. You may have more options by then
Was looking for a brand new Octavia only because it would fit in my budget but it would be my last option. I don't think the Laura would fit in my budget. I wonder which other car would be introduced by the end of this year. Any pointers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
@Epic We're in the same boat. I am in for a year end purchase too and am a Swift Vxi owner.

Is it just me or the times have indeed changed. Despite his high running, he has not specified whether he prefers petrol or diesel car. Despite this nobody has suggested ANHC (despite him not including it in the list)

BTW, there is a lot of time before the turn of the year and you will indeed do better to wait for a while. Reason?

1. Try new Fiesta.
2. Try new Verna.
3. Fiat T-Jet, despite the average A.S.S (a lot more is made out of it than it actually is).

Pick up a Vento TDI if you don't like either of them (or even if you like them but just feel Vento is better).
PS: You may have figured out by now that I am not a big ANHC fan. Reason? I'd better pick up pre-onwed CIVIC for 2/3rd the price of new ANHC and enjoy the high quality interiors)

@noopster Absolutely! I am in too. I haven't booked the car because I plan to get it towards the end of the year. And I also want to wait to see if I can extend my budget to buy new Jetta (for the love of high quality interiors). As of today, its either Vento (current budget) or 'new' Jetta (some windfall gain; wife convincing)
As mentioned, the City is out as I personally don't find it worth the price. Wouldn't want to risk with a pre-owned car and that too a Civic which would be outdated by then. It already is like the Swift as it is so common on the roads now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
want a deal? Outgoing Fiesta
wanna drive? New Fiesta (as per reviews)
practicality? SX4 Diesel
practicality at a slightly higher cost? Vento
passionate? Linea MJD/TJet, Cedia
play safe? ANHC
Never thought about the Cedia but what about after sales and maintainance cost of the Mitsubishi?
Old 6th April 2011, 16:28   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Except for the VWs, the above hatches & sedans mentioned have also aged now. What do you guys suggest I do? My budget is 10L max and I plan to buy this car by December 2011 or January 2012.
Considering you do more than 1000 kms and above a month it justifies you going in for a diesel vehicle.
At the current situation I would reccommend the Vento TDI (it could be a little more than your budget if it is the HL).
As most have said before the after market is yet to be proven even though there is no doubt on the performance of the TDI.
Going by the date of your purchase a lot more would be known through this forum on the aftermarket and cost of ownership of the Vento.

Added to that you would have more choices in the form of Verna's and Fiesta's and for all you know a Honda diesel!

Cheers!
Old 6th April 2011, 16:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Epic, I too have been looking for a diesel sedan and have TD many of them. My needs are a bit different from yours though. You may find many useful pointers from the members of this wonderful forum in the thread below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...continued.html

Given legroom and headroom isn't as much of a priority in your case and handling is, chances are that you will find the Fiesta suitable. As already mentioned a new one is due for launch.

About the heavy sedans running on the 1248cc Fiat diesel engine (SX4, Manza, Linea, etc) - I find that they need very frequent gear changes as one needs to use the narrow power band to pull these bigger cars. The engine is well suited for hatches and seems to be used in sedans for economies of scale and to keep prices down.

Personally, I found the Vento very cramped for a 9L (base version) car. Other views of all these cars are already there in the link above.

If you don't mind a softer suspension (which I expect you will) and are looking for sheer power and torque, make sure u TD the Optra Magnum. The exhilarating drive may make u compromise on other issues.
Old 6th April 2011, 17:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Was looking for a brand new Octavia only because it would fit in my budget but it would be my last option. I don't think the Laura would fit in my budget.
Octavia is not in production anymore and is replaced by Laura. Hence, vb-san asked if you are looking for pre-owned cars.

Regarding options for upgrade, My suggestions would be
(your daily running is 100 kms, diesel is the logical option with petrol selling close to Rs 70 p.l)
1. New Fiesta (supposed to have better interiors than prev version & proven engines)
2. VW Vento (nice car but unsure about A.S.S options)
3. New Verna (same reason as Fiesta + good service network)
Old 6th April 2011, 17:41   #13
BHPian

My advice:

Keep the Swift for city drives and buy a SUV.

A sedan will limit you in space as compared to a Scorpio.

If you like driving log distances and tour, SUV is the answer.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you want MUL service and high ground clearance, buy SX4 Diesel. As reported a number of times, the European cars are dream to drive, but a nightmare to maintain. Parts are costly, service is costly and number of dealers few. Sheer numbers sold means that Maruti, Hyundai and Tata spares will be cheaper and widely available. Lower numbers also mean that a lot of spares are imported hence extremely expensive, typical case being that of Baleno vs Esteem. The windshield for former is 12K, while for latter 4K!
Old 6th April 2011, 19:09   #15
BHPian

You have the answer in your post itself. Like you, even I'm a Swift owner. I have a 2007 model Swift Vdi kept very tastefully. Car has done 60000 kms and is shod with MGA alloys, Michelin Energy XM1 + 185/70/R14 tyres (recently changed), the new Swift anniversary edition built in music player with USB port, K&N filter, Hawk performance disc pads, original Ralli Art stickers, etc.

I keep cars for 4 years and then change them irrespective of the mileage (after the standard 2 years plus the bought 2 years extended warranty expires). Am a staunch Maruti loyalist primarily because of the terrific after sales service and very affordable and easily available spare parts.

My wife drives an Alto Lxi with similar treatement as the Swift Vdi.

Since the Swift is nearly completing 1 year, I was anxiously waiting for the SX4 diesel, but was disappointed when they launched it for many reasons, many of which you too have identified.

My suggestion is go in for the new Swift to be launched model. If the MUL guys bring in the one with similar features that they sell abroad, it sure will have good new features like start/stop switch, etc. Go in for the diesel this time. The torque that the diesel develops is mindblowing not to mention the terrific fuel economy (I get 19-20 kmpl with AC on full time in Delhi traffic). The new Swift will be built on a completely new wheelbase. It will be wider and longer and thus address the problem of cramped rear seats that our present Swifts have.

For people living in metros, a hatchback is the best car to have unless of course the length of a car for some means a status symbol. In Delhi, parking attendants will shoo away people driving long cars as they gobble up precious parking space while giving them the same parking charges as a small car.

My suggestion, the new Swift diesel... pray they launch the Zdi version ...

Happy Driving !!!

Most Viewed