Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 13:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel-10L budget

Recently I TD-ed a range of diesels for a friend, including the Vento, SX4, Dzire & Polo. Of them, my pick would easily be the Vento - good looks, fun to drive, comfy seating etc. Only unknown being service/maintenance cost, while the known issues are long waiting period and a sparse service network.

Even with the 1.3L motor, the SX4 was also good to drive, but I am not too keen on its looks and from the inside the Vento seems a better car to be in.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel-10L budget

Thanks for the replies.

One point I forgot to mention - I need boot space, hence the option of hatchback is ruled out

Though greater power is not a necessity, I prefer to have it, if I can get that at minimal cost increase (<50k). As SB pointed out, Iam not a big fan of SX4 looks, plus newly/recently introduced model is preferred, so that you don't end up having an older version model with in a shorter span of purchase. Prefer to have a rattle free car (Swift experience )

With all these combination of points, I have not included SX4 in the list.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
You can also try the LINEA MJD. The car is just awesome. The handling is a major + point. The car handles like breeze and it is the car with all the features in its segment. 93HP is enough but if you want more power add a pete's box or a spider box for 28 or 23 k. the power is upto 126HP and 285Nm torque.
Really?? With additional 30k, there is an increase of 33HP and 76 Nm torque...That it means, the car will be more powerful that Vento (Verna RB?)
Old 17th May 2011, 10:34   #49
BHPian

Yea that's true but you can get that amount of power now only for 9k from race-chip tuning box.
Cheers,
Naparajito
Old 17th May 2011, 12:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Had Test driven a few diesel sedans for my purchase decision and had started a thread (well, two of them). It may be of use.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sx4-manza.html

The thread discussing the purchase decision is at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...continued.html

Smartcat's wonderful thread ranking sedans under 12L is at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-ranking.html
Old 10th June 2011, 12:13   #51
Team-BHP Support

It's very simple.

European cars will require more love and attention.

So if you don't mind spending a little extra, the VW Vento and the Fiat Linea are the cars to check out. Wait for the new Skoda Rapid too. These cars might not come with the best reliability and the after-sales-service could be better, when you look at the competition. But they offer you something most other cars in India don't, for that price, of course. And that would be impeccable build-quality and solidity.

If reliability, after-sales and refinement is your thing, the ANHC (Honda City) is worth looking at. But for that sort of price, you might expect goodies that you don't get.

So if you want your car to be feature-packed, I don't know any other car than the Verna that I would suggest. The SX4 is a great car too, but the build-quality is questionable, I'm told.

All these cars are available with diesel lumps, so that should help you decide.

All the best!
Old 10th June 2011, 12:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

1. New Ford Fiesta which should be available across the country by July 2011.
Both petrol and diesel are very nice to drive. But the rear 3-quarter looks a bit bulbous, but then looks are purely subjective !

2. Fiat Linea T-Jet Emotion Pack. A bomb to drive. Sets the benchmark in the ride and handling stakes. Its economical too. Comfortably returns 10 plus kmpl in-city driving. The Tata - FIAT after sales service, surprisingly, is not as bad as one fears.

3. Another underrated gem is the Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia petrol. HM- Mitsubishi has recently done some price correction and brought the price down. Smooth motor, flat torque, slick gearbox, a WRC-bred chassis. Yes, its a bit long in the tooth and HM's After sales is patchy to say the least - but from what i hear the Cedia is very reliable and HM-Mitsu service should be able to carry out the regular servicing's without much fuss. Be prepared for big depreciation though.

Vento diesel is nice. But the nose does tend to bob up and down over high speed bumps - thus taking away some of the fun.
Old 10th June 2011, 15:39   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
European cars will require more love and attention.

So if you don't mind spending a little extra, the VW Vento and the Fiat Linea are the cars to check out. Wait for the new Skoda Rapid too. These cars might not come with the best reliability and the after-sales-service could be better, when you look at the competition. But they offer you something most other cars in India don't, for that price, of course. And that would be impeccable build-quality and solidity.
Good point!

From the timelines mentioned in the OP, you may even get to see the Vento with minor upgrades based on the feedback they received in the past few months.

And then you have the new Fiesta. Though Ford is American, the Fiesta is quite European, and you can expect that kind of quality there.

Happy shopping
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:41   #54
BHPian

Good topic. I am also in the same boat. Most of my requirements are similar to @surprise. And the TD explanation from @Poitive was excellent.

But, I am kind of liking Optra Magnum. Its a VFM package.
I am worried about their ***.
I need a chauffer driven car. Magnum fits my requirement.

If not a Sedan, I may go for Xylo. Its a different option altogether.
Old 25th June 2011, 01:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Good topic. I am also in the same boat. Most of my requirements are similar to @surprise. And the TD explanation from @Poitive was excellent.

But, I am kind of liking Optra Magnum. Its a VFM package.
I am worried about their ***.
I need a chauffer driven car. Magnum fits my requirement.

If not a Sedan, I may go for Xylo. Its a different option altogether.
Thanks mate. (I almost missed this post/thread - quoting people may be a good idea )

From the little research I have done, the A$$ of GM may not be like a Toyota, but is not too bad either. What I particularly liked was it's reliability rating on Tbhp based on it's extended survey (Excellent rating - refer to this, in case you already haven't Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Test Drives ).

Another vital factor about the A$$ is how the senior management/company responds, and people had good words to say about the response of GM.
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I have finally decided against a sedan as I am the only one who drives in my family and I drive myself, a bigger car leads to more difficulty in parking as my job requires me to travel a lot within Mumbai city and finally, I don't know of any worthy sedan within the 10L budget which is a pure enthusiast's car. I know many will vouch for the Ford Fiesta, but then it is a Ford.

So I have decided to choose between the VW Polo 1.6 and now the all new Maruti Suzuki Swift.I did also consider the Toyota Etios Liva but a neighbor of mine just purchased one yesterday and after seeing it in reality, I didn't like the look of the car. Its just not sporty.

So between the Polo & Swift, I am highly inclined towards the Swift specifically because of after sales service. I believe there is a thread on the after sales of VW which one of our moderator's friends were given a tough time. I am just waiting for the launch of the Swift and looking forward to the test drive. Will keep you guys posted on the same.
Old 8th August 2011, 10:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

New Swift OR Polo 1.2/1.6

Hi guys,

As per my post above I have mentioned that I have decided to not buy a sedan and instead settle for another hatch. However, during my quest for a hatch that would be in par with or better than the Swift interms of handling and power, I came across only two cars - 2011 Swift & The Polo 1.6 !

I like the Polo for its looks but the 1.6 is a whooping 7.3 lakhs on road. I am guessing/hoping the Swift would be around 6.5 lakhs. I did consider the Polo 1.2 Petrol but was disappointed that it is a 3 cylinder and 75 bhp. I feel it is like a downgrade from my current Swift. The new Swift i believe will be a good 90 bhp. What is really attracting me to a VW is the 06 year anti corrosion warranty which I badly require as i live opposite the sea. I have had issues with rusting/corrosion on my current Swift.

Waht do you guys think?
Old 10th August 2011, 19:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Swift OR Polo 1.2/1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

As per my post above I have mentioned that I have decided to not buy a sedan and instead settle for another hatch. However, during my quest for a hatch that would be in par with or better than the Swift interms of handling and power, I came across only two cars - 2011 Swift & The Polo 1.6 !
Unfortunately there is no hot hatch on sale in India right now. The Polo 1.6 does not really feel like 1.6. The Palio 1.6 did. The 1.2L polo is something you would not like to drive after a Swift.

Although the Swift Zdi could be a nice proposal I would stay away from migrating to Swift from another Swift.

If were looking for a good petrol car to replace swift (at the budget of a Premium Hatch) I would definitely go for the Fiesta Classic.

What about Punto 1.4? Did you try it?
Old 10th August 2011, 20:06   #59
BANNED

The Vento seems to be the logical choice. However now that you have decided on a Hatch, check out the Polo and the Fabia.
Old 10th August 2011, 20:07   #60
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Swift OR Polo 1.2/1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

I like the Polo for its looks but the 1.6 is a whooping 7.3 lakhs on road. I am guessing/hoping the Swift would be around 6.5 lakhs. I did consider the Polo 1.2 Petrol but was disappointed that it is a 3 cylinder and 75 bhp. I feel it is like a downgrade from my current Swift. The new Swift i believe will be a good 90 bhp. What is really attracting me to a VW is the 06 year anti corrosion warranty which I badly require as i live opposite the sea. I have had issues with rusting/corrosion on my current Swift.

Waht do you guys think?
Why don't you wait for the launch of the face-lifted Jazz, and do a TD. I don't know how it compare with the Swift or Polo 1.6, but you maybe in for a pleasant surprise

Most Viewed