Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 20:09   #61
BHPian

re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

If you are thinking of buying a petrol car IMO, Honda Jazz with recent 1.75 lakh price cut is a very tempting deal.

The new swift is an upgraded version of the present one. Although it has undergone good amounts of changes, it still resembles the old in many ways. The Hyundai 120 will be a good diesel upgrade.
Old 10th August 2011, 20:24   #62
Team-BHP Support

What happened to Punto 90BHP?
Why is that not in consideration?
Old 10th August 2011, 20:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Swift OR Polo 1.2/1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Why don't you wait for the launch of the face-lifted Jazz, and do a TD. I don't know how it compare with the Swift or Polo 1.6, but you maybe in for a pleasant surprise
I completely second this sentiment. There was never a doubt over the Jazz's quality, simply its price. And if that is corrected (as it seems it has been), it could be just the car for you.

There's also the upcoming Brio and Up!, but those would be a sideways or backwards step from owning a Swift (on the face of it at least), so those cars should be safely eliminated from any discussion.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:55   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

As per my post above I have mentioned that I have decided to not buy a sedan and instead settle for another hatch. However, during my quest for a hatch that would be in par with or better than the Swift interms of handling and power, I came across only two cars - 2011 Swift & The Polo 1.6 !
Upgrading the car from 2005 Swift to 2011 Swift? I wouldn't do that. Have you thought of Punto/i20?

By the way I have come across at least 5 people in my friends circle who are upgrading the car from Old Swift to the new one. Looks like its the "Maruti" effect in their decision.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Why don't you wait for the launch of the face-lifted Jazz, and do a TD. I don't know how it compare with the Swift or Polo 1.6, but you maybe in for a pleasant surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
If you are thinking of buying a petrol car IMO, Honda Jazz with recent 1.75 lakh price cut is a very tempting deal.

The new swift is an upgraded version of the present one. Although it has undergone good amounts of changes, it still resembles the old in many ways. The Hyundai 120 will be a good diesel upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I completely second this sentiment. There was never a doubt over the Jazz's quality, simply its price. And if that is corrected (as it seems it has been), it could be just the car for you.

There's also the upcoming Brio and Up!, but those would be a sideways or backwards step from owning a Swift (on the face of it at least), so those cars should be safely eliminated from any discussion.
Jazz does make immense sense however "Epic" is looking for good power delivery & fun to drive (subjective topic) hatch. If the polo does not make it, then neither does Jazz.

Jazz does have huge refinement, but it just does not have the power low-end & one needs to whip it to perform.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

As per my post above I have mentioned that I have decided to not buy a sedan and instead settle for another hatch. However, during my quest for a hatch that would be in par with or better than the Swift interms of handling and power, I came across only two cars - 2011 Swift & The Polo 1.6 !

I like the Polo for its looks but the 1.6 is a whooping 7.3 lakhs on road. I am guessing/hoping the Swift would be around 6.5 lakhs. I did consider the Polo 1.2 Petrol but was disappointed that it is a 3 cylinder and 75 bhp. I feel it is like a downgrade from my current Swift. The new Swift i believe will be a good 90 bhp. What is really attracting me to a VW is the 06 year anti corrosion warranty which I badly require as i live opposite the sea. I have had issues with rusting/corrosion on my current Swift.

Waht do you guys think?
Epic, did you test drive i20 1.4L AT? This may impress you with the 100 horses of power delivered by this car. Otherwise, if you are not interested in AT, I would again recommend the new Swift.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Epic, did you test drive i20 1.4L AT? This may impress you with the 100 horses of power delivered by this car. Otherwise, if you are not interested in AT, I would again recommend the new Swift.
I can attest to the i20 AT being a great car to drive (I just bought one less than 2 months ago), but if it's fun that the OP is looking for, this is not the car to be looking at. I'd classify the i20 AT as a brilliant city commuter or one for long drives, if you don't look at the mileage! But fun? Nah, not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Jazz does make immense sense however "Epic" is looking for good power delivery & fun to drive (subjective topic) hatch. If the polo does not make it, then neither does Jazz.

Jazz does have huge refinement, but it just does not have the power low-end & one needs to whip it to perform.
Somehow I missed out on the whole "fun" bit. By that line of reasoning, so many cars drop by the wayside, leaving just the Swift (!!!) and the Palio 1.6. I don't think it makes much sense to go for another swift for the OP and the Palio 1.6 is bundles of joy to drive, but I don't think the OP would want a used car that has mildly spotty service and sub-par fuel efficiency. That's for him to clarify.

Just a thought...what about the Fiesta Classic? It'll fit in the budget for a small car now that the NFF is here and it's fun as hell. Plus it's a sedan, so it has a boot, yadda yadda yadda. It sure makes a lot of sense!
Old 12th August 2011, 17:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

2011 Swift - First Hand Experience!!

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your inputs. With regards to your suggestions -

Fiat Punto - Afraid of Fiat/Tata after sales
Honda Jazz - Probably too expensive for a hatch
Fiesta Classic - No sedan, remember? :-). I guess 7L +
i20 1.4 AT - Too expensive for a hatch. I guess it will be 7L + again.

Now coming to the fun part. I was fortunate enough to test drive the all new 2011 Swift Zxi. How is this possible? Well, Maruti happened to have their dealer's meet today in the hotel I work at and they got the car here. It is a superb looking car and even though my drive was a short one, it definitely felt way better than my current Swift.

To put all assumptions aside, here are the facts:

1. The interiors are totally new. Better quality of plastics and better seats.
2. The dash has a Honda City/Jazz outlook and also has a MID like that in the Polo
3. Car is longer than the current Swift and highly noticable.
4. 185/65/R15 tires on the Zxi
5. Indicatore on the OVRMs. OVRMs are electrically adjustable.
6. A nice high quality integrated music system with controls on the steering wheel.
7. NO Start/Stop button. No flip key. Remote in integrated in the key.

I have got pics but not sure if I should publish them.
Old 12th August 2011, 18:02   #69
BHPian

Re: 2011 Swift - First Hand Experience!!

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thank you all for your inputs. With regards to your suggestions -

Fiat Punto - Afraid of Fiat/Tata after sales
Honda Jazz - Probably too expensive for a hatch
Fiesta Classic - No sedan, remember? :-). I guess 7L +
i20 1.4 AT - Too expensive for a hatch. I guess it will be 7L + again.

Now coming to the fun part. I was fortunate enough to test drive the all new 2011 Swift Zxi. How is this possible? Well, Maruti happened to have their dealer's meet today in the hotel I work at and they got the car here. It is a superb looking car and even though my drive was a short one, it definitely felt way better than my current Swift.

To put all assumptions aside, here are the facts:

1. The interiors are totally new. Better quality of plastics and better seats.
2. The dash has a Honda City/Jazz outlook and also has a MID like that in the Polo
3. Car is longer than the current Swift and highly noticable.
4. 185/65/R15 tires on the Zxi
5. Indicatore on the OVRMs. OVRMs are electrically adjustable.
6. A nice high quality integrated music system with controls on the steering wheel.
7. NO Start/Stop button. No flip key. Remote in integrated in the key.

I have got pics but not sure if I should publish them.
Any clear indication as to the waiting time? I have heard everything from 4-8 months!!
Old 12th August 2011, 21:20   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post

Honda Jazz would soon be old and then having a discontinued car in no time is not at all advisable.
Try the Nissan Sunny, a sedan, as the name of the thread implies.
Old 13th August 2011, 09:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2011 Swift - First Hand Experience!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVI2112 View Post
Any clear indication as to the waiting time? I have heard everything from 4-8 months!!
I was told 3 weeks for pertol from date of launch and 3 months for diesel. But i guess it would be approx 3 months for both.
Old 14th August 2011, 19:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Try the Nissan Sunny, a sedan, as the name of the thread implies.
You're right, the Sunny would be a fair addition to the list of potential cars, but Epic (OP) has ruled out sedans almost totally I guess.

Epic; any reason why you wouldn't look at the Fiesta Classic? It won't come with goodies like the electrically adjustable OVRM's and what not, but it sure won't cost more than 7. The i20 AT however most certainly will.

I fear your short dalliance with the New Swift has sealed the deal Either way, I look forward to seeing how this develops.
Old 15th August 2011, 15:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What happened to Punto 90BHP?
Why is that not in consideration?
I was just checking out the Fiat website and man, does the Punto have loads of features for the price!!! The Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack 90 HP is 6.2L ex-showroom. But does this car match up to the handling like that of the Swift? Also, what about after sales service?

Can any Fiat owners help me with this? Also, I live at Bandra West in Mumbai and I believe the closest service station is at Andheri East

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
The i20 is crossing the 7L figure which I do not see worth for a hatchback anyway. Also the i20 has aged. I had considered the Polo but the 1.2 Highline itself is 7L on road and 1.6 is 7.3L on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
You're right, the Sunny would be a fair addition to the list of potential cars, but Epic (OP) has ruled out sedans almost totally I guess.

Epic; any reason why you wouldn't look at the Fiesta Classic? It won't come with goodies like the electrically adjustable OVRM's and what not, but it sure won't cost more than 7. The i20 AT however most certainly will.

I fear your short dalliance with the New Swift has sealed the deal Either way, I look forward to seeing how this develops.
I checked out the Ford website and the Fiesta is starting at a good 8L +. Also, I believe Fords are expensive to maintain?
Old 15th August 2011, 16:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked out the Ford website and the Fiesta is starting at a good 8L +.
You are correct, but that's for the Fiesta. What I referred to was the Ford Fiesta Classic, which is cheaper than the Fiesta. There are several guys on the forum that swear by this car as a real fun car to drive, and I'm not exactly clear on the price, but I'm pretty sure it starts closer to 6L Ex-Showroom Mumbai.

Search for a couple of threads on this car, it should give you better clarity on running and maintenance costs for this fine steed. Happy hunting!
Old 15th August 2011, 16:38   #75
Senior - BHPian

I was kinda bored and had a few minutes to kill, so here's a Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI ABS long term ownership review I dug up! Post #348 mentions a total ownership cost of Rs 81,291 over 120,839 kilometers, which is pretty damn good in anyone's books!

Mods...sorry to post back to back posts in such a short period of time, but I couldn't find my old post to edit and thus put up this one. if it's out of turn or whatever...ciao!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks