Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2011, 17:32   #76
BHPian

re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I was just checking out the Fiat website and man, does the Punto have loads of features for the price!!! The Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack 90 HP is 6.2L ex-showroom. But does this car match up to the handling like that of the Swift? Also, what about after sales service?

Can any Fiat owners help me with this? Also, I live at Bandra West in Mumbai and I believe the closest service station is at Andheri East
Your Thread header states - which sedan ? and you don't want a Sedan ?

and dude you must be joking when you are looking at Punto to match handling of Swift Punto is definitely miles ahead in the Handling department.

About the TATA ASC - Yes they are not No. 1 , Maruti is !
Old 15th August 2011, 21:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
Your Thread header states - which sedan ? and you don't want a Sedan ?

and dude you must be joking when you are looking at Punto to match handling of Swift Punto is definitely miles ahead in the Handling department.

About the TATA ASC - Yes they are not No. 1 , Maruti is !
Yes, I changed my mind about a sedan during the course of this thread as the only sedan with good handling capabilities and which I thought would be in my budget of 6.5L - 7L was the Ford Fiesta. But now since the new Fiesta has launched the starting price is 8L +. Hence thought I'll go in for a good hatch now and probably buy a sedan the next time around.

Well, coming to the handling part, I was not aware the Punto is that good in this department. It is a shame that the after sales is so bad for such a good car. As I mentioned earlier, I am really keen to look at the Punto, especially for the features it offers at that price. The only thing stopping me is after sales support.

You seem to have a Punto, what do you suggest I do?

Mods : Since this thread has now moved to discussing hatchbacks, kindly change the thread header to 'Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?' and move it to the hatchback section.
Old 15th August 2011, 22:10   #78
BHPian

Have you considered waiting for the new Swift? If you are going in for a hatch, there might not be an "upgrade" from the swift per se - you may actually take a look at the new upgraded Swift, because in my opinion, Swift does give the bang for the buck!
Old 15th August 2011, 22:19   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Have you considered waiting for the new Swift? If you are going in for a hatch, there might not be an "upgrade" from the swift per se - you may actually take a look at the new upgraded Swift, because in my opinion, Swift does give the bang for the buck!
Hi Keyur.

If you go through my thread, my eyes are all on the new Swift. As a matter of fact, I was fortunate to test drive it on the 12th of August. It is a beautiful machine and Maruti has improved the quality big time. I was just looking at options better than the Swift, if any. And many have suggested the Punto.

As mentioned before, my criteria is a car that can handle equally to or better than the Swift. Also power does matter.
Old 15th August 2011, 22:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Keyur.

As mentioned before, my criteria is a car that can handle equally to or better than the Swift. Also power does matter.
The Punto is definitely a great car, though the after sales can be really painful - on of my friends has a Palio and he is constantly cribbing about the service.

As for the power, go in for the Swift diesel - use it for a few months (about 6) and then get a piggyback ECU kit like a Pete's box or the RD box (DT Pro). You may also try the PowerTronic from Race Dynamics for your petrol engine. They will take care of all your power requirements!

Check this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2450216
Old 15th August 2011, 22:49   #81
BHPian

Hi Epic.. am also in a similar situation. Looking for a fun to drive car and have shortlisted the Polo 1.6, Jazz 1.2 (facelifted version), Fiesta 1.6 Classic and also thinking about the new 2011 Swift (though to be honest am not a big fan of the Swift). I TDed the Fiesta Classic and was quite thrilled at the peppiness of the engine. Yet to TD the others.. am hoping the Polo 1.6 blows me away too.. will be following your thread
Old 15th August 2011, 23:09   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Hi Epic.. am also in a similar situation. Looking for a fun to drive car and have shortlisted the Polo 1.6, Jazz 1.2 (facelifted version), Fiesta 1.6 Classic and also thinking about the new 2011 Swift (though to be honest am not a big fan of the Swift). I TDed the Fiesta Classic and was quite thrilled at the peppiness of the engine. Yet to TD the others.. am hoping the Polo 1.6 blows me away too.. will be following your thread
You are definitely in the same boat as I am. My reasons for not choosing your options mentioned:

Polo 1.6 - Its a VW and associated with Skoda. Not heard all positives of after sales. Don't even think they have a large after sales network. 7.3L on road in Mumbai and doesn't even have a master panel on the driver's side to control all 4 power windows. Don't think it has ACC. Maintainance I suspect will be expensive.

Honda Jazz 1.2 - Too expensive for a hatch. Underpowered.

Ford Fiesta - Out of my budget.

Fiat Punto 1.4 - Considering it but doubtful about after sales.

Now you say you are not a big fan of the Swift, any particular reason? I already own a Swift and believe me it is a car for the enthusiast; and looking at what is being offered in the market today at the current prices, the new 2011 Swift seem to be the best option in terms of features, after sales and most of all price. I have been told that the Zxi would be around 6.5L on road with a 1.2 VVT engine producing 90 bhp, ACC, 15" alloys, MID, audio controls on the steering wheel, audio system, airbags, ABS, Maruti after sales network, etc. I think this is definitely value for money!
Old 15th August 2011, 23:53   #83
BHPian

Quote:

Polo 1.6 - Its a VW and associated with Skoda. Not heard all positives of after sales. Don't even think they have a large after sales network. 7.3L on road in Mumbai and doesn't even have a master panel on the driver's side to control all 4 power windows. Don't think it has ACC. Maintainance I suspect will be expensive.
I do agree that VW does not have Maruti's after sales network but where I am based now - Gurgaon. I have heard that it is not bad. But agreed, on the features list the Polo has close to nothing. The only reason am considering it, is for its 1.6 cc engine and I also like how the car looks.

Quote:
Honda Jazz 1.2 - Too expensive for a hatch. Underpowered.
Hoping the new Jazz is not overpriced. The 1.2 cc engine is quite good and puts out 90 bhp. Will update more after a TD. I am not a big fan of the Jazz's shape though..I prefer the Polo's neat lines.

Quote:
Ford Fiesta - Out of my budget.
Have you considered the Ford Fiesta Classic. I guess the OTR should come around Polo 1.6 levels. This is the only car I have TDed so far and found it very eager. Only thing is am not sure about is the after sales service for Ford esp. in Gurgaon.

Quote:
Fiat Punto 1.4 - Considering it but doubtful about after sales.
I'd have a tough time convincing my family for a fiat.. so not even bothering with it.. Tata/Fiat after sales service has a legacy that refuses to die..at least in my family!

Quote:
Now you say you are not a big fan of the Swift, any particular reason? I already own a Swift and believe me it is a car for the enthusiast; and looking at what is being offered in the market today at the current prices, the new 2011 Swift seem to be the best option in terms of features, after sales and most of all price. I have been told that the Zxi would be around 6.5L on road with a 1.2 VVT engine producing 90 bhp, ACC, 15" alloys, MID, audio controls on the steering wheel, audio system, airbags, ABS, Maruti after sales network, etc. I think this is definitely value for money!
I did not like the rather boxy design of the Swift and secondly there were just too many Swifts around. But then I am now slowly considering it as the after sales is great. But then I need a car by September end at the latest and I prefer a car that has been on the road 6-8 months atleast for minor issues to be sorted out by the manufacturer. But if it is really that good then I might just have to make an exception

Last edited by Nimz : 15th August 2011 at 23:55.
Old 16th August 2011, 00:05   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread is quite confusing for me since I saw it now. Couple of points I noted so far.

1. You need a driver's car
2. You have listed options in both petrol & diesel
3. You have decided not to go for a sedan now.
4. You already have a Swift.

As you asked, Punto is a nice car to drive - it may / will NOT be peppy as a swift, but will handle equally or better. For Punto, petrol engines are hopeless the way I understand; definitely not an upgrade after a Swift.

To be honest, there is NO replacement for a swift as a drivers car other than Polo 1.6L which again is a petrol hatch back. Along comes with the car, higher TCO, higher snob value & a truly upgrade feeling, but at the cost of equipments.

If you are not bothered about the equipment level, take a look at the Fiesta Classic which starts at 5.59L or so ex showroom. If you need a diesel with ABS / Airbags, things get out of budget though.

The only drivers car in that segment [based on starting prices] will be Fiesta Classic, Swift or Punto Diesel. So take a call based on it.

One segment higher you have All new Fiesta & Linea or even Vento [comparatively higher SNOB value & TCO, again at the cost of equipments].

Edit:: If none of these options seem good, and if you have a tight budget [not stretchable], why don't you take a look at some pre-owned options? Am sure you can find some good drivers car for the price of a new Swift or so, if you don't mind thinking that way.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th August 2011 at 00:13.
Old 16th August 2011, 14:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This thread is quite confusing for me since I saw it now. Couple of points I noted so far.

1. You need a driver's car
2. You have listed options in both petrol & diesel
3. You have decided not to go for a sedan now.
4. You already have a Swift.

As you asked, Punto is a nice car to drive - it may / will NOT be peppy as a swift, but will handle equally or better. For Punto, petrol engines are hopeless the way I understand; definitely not an upgrade after a Swift.

To be honest, there is NO replacement for a swift as a drivers car other than Polo 1.6L which again is a petrol hatch back. Along comes with the car, higher TCO, higher snob value & a truly upgrade feeling, but at the cost of equipments.

If you are not bothered about the equipment level, take a look at the Fiesta Classic which starts at 5.59L or so ex showroom. If you need a diesel with ABS / Airbags, things get out of budget though.

The only drivers car in that segment [based on starting prices] will be Fiesta Classic, Swift or Punto Diesel. So take a call based on it.

One segment higher you have All new Fiesta & Linea or even Vento [comparatively higher SNOB value & TCO, again at the cost of equipments].

Edit:: If none of these options seem good, and if you have a tight budget [not stretchable], why don't you take a look at some pre-owned options? Am sure you can find some good drivers car for the price of a new Swift or so, if you don't mind thinking that way.
What is the confusion? Yes, I currently own a 2005 Swift Vxi. It is a pure drivers/enthusiasts car. Need to upgrade to a similar or better hatch; not a sedan anymore as they are going out of my budget. My budget is a maximum of 7L on road. You all keep mentioning the Ford Fiesta Classic, but I have read almost everywhere including their website that the car starts from 8L +. Do you mean the Fiesta Classic is the older version/shape? Isn't a Ford expensive to maintain?

A used car is not an option.

Last edited by Epic : 16th August 2011 at 14:14.
Old 16th August 2011, 14:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I changed my mind about a sedan during the course of this thread as the only sedan with good handling capabilities and which I thought would be in my budget of 6.5L - 7L was the Ford Fiesta. But now since the new Fiesta has launched the starting price is 8L +. Hence thought I'll go in for a good hatch now and probably buy a sedan the next time around.

Well, coming to the handling part, I was not aware the Punto is that good in this department. It is a shame that the after sales is so bad for such a good car. As I mentioned earlier, I am really keen to look at the Punto, especially for the features it offers at that price. The only thing stopping me is after sales support.

You seem to have a Punto, what do you suggest I do?

Mods : Since this thread has now moved to discussing hatchbacks, kindly change the thread header to 'Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?' and move it to the hatchback section.
Cool Man!

I own a Linea for past 28 months and done 50xxx km on it (its a Petrol btw)

The handling and highway dynamics of the Punto is something you need to check out and have a fair idea of the excellent package you are getting along with the loads of features. I have never owned a FIAT before the Linea and have no affinity towards either FIAT or TASC but after having Driven the Linea and having tested almost every new launched cars over past 2 years, i feel the Price vs Features etc. , what FIAT Punto and Linea offers is excellent.
Old 16th August 2011, 14:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
What is the confusion? Yes, I currently own a 2005 Swift Vxi. It is a pure drivers/enthusiasts car. Need to upgrade to a similar or better hatch; not a sedan anymore as they are going out of my budget. My budget is a maximum of 7L on road. You all keep mentioning the Ford Fiesta Classic, but I have read almost everywhere including their website that the car starts from 8L +. Do you mean the Fiesta Classic is the older version/shape?
A used car is not an option.
I guess there is a confusion. Please see the prices from the below screenshot (courtesy: Carwale).
In Mumbai, the Petrol base version 1.6 costs 6.5lacs On Road.
This is for Fiesta Classic (Older version/shape).
Hope this helps for you to finalise on something.

Cheers,
Anup
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-mumbai.jpg  

Old 16th August 2011, 14:34   #88
BHPian

After going through your thread you seem to be sold to the "All new Swift".
There is always some catch in any car you narrow down on presently on the Indian roads.
So you got to pick the car in which you are ready to compromise the catch.
There is no perfect car yet :-)
Anyways SWIFT seems to be the best option for you, just my observation in the direction you think.
So go ahead and book it.
Old 16th August 2011, 20:02   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You all keep mentioning the Ford Fiesta Classic, but I have read almost everywhere including their website that the car starts from 8L +. Do you mean the Fiesta Classic is the older version/shape?
Yes indeed. That's the one we're all on about.

Quote:
Isn't a Ford expensive to maintain?
Not if you go by ownership threads. One thread gave an ownership cost of approx 80k over an ownership period of 120k kilometers. That's very good. I had posted that link earlier in that thread, will repost it if you want.

The thing with the Fiesta classic is that it fits your parameters and your budget; you keep on saying you don't want a car to cost more than 7L OTR and I'm pretty sure the Fiesta Classic (older fiesta) fits that requirement too, so why not give it a shot?
Old 16th August 2011, 22:34   #90
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

What about the Toyota Etios Liva? The 'V' variant has all the goodies for the price of approximately 6L on road I guess?

Is this an enthusiasts/drivers car? I doubt it will have a stiff suspension like the Swift. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks