Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 02:05   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Now that you are looking at the Fiesta classic i.e. sedans again, I thought it would be the opportune moment to put in my thoughts especially in view of your requirements underlined below. Like many others on this thread I drove a drivers car the Zen from 1996 till earlier this year when unfortunately it was stolen, an OHC type1 from 1998 to 2008, then a Swift zxi from 2008 till date and that experience was further enhanced when I bought the Cedia Sports 2.0 L in March last year. So in many ways I understand completely what you are looking for and trust me around the 10L mark after the Cedia one would have to jump straight to an Audi A4 with the 3.0 liter petrol or otherwise the BMW 5 with an inline 6 cylinder to get that seat of the pants feel on the way to driving Nirvana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi all,

I currently own a December 2005 Swift Vxi Petrol. It has done around 63k kms till date and still running strong. ...

...I am totally in love with the car and love it specifically for its handling and stiffer suspension as it is driven by me alone almost 90% of the time.

I would now like to go for a bigger car and looking for a sedan with similar or better characteristics of the Swift in terms of feel and handling.

Other than the sporty feel and handling that I get in the Swift, my main requirements and most important are the after sales service. I am so used to the flawless after sales of Maruti Suzuki that I don't want to experience anything less!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
passionate? Linea MJD/TJet, Cedia
+1, especially on the Cedia

Quote:
I do not find the City worth the price.
That's the kind of mind frame required to seriously look at the Cedia

Quote:
Never thought about the Cedia but what about after sales and maintainance cost of the Mitsubishi?
I bought my Cedia in HR and have been using it all over the country. First service was in Delhi, second and third in Poona, running repairs in Bombay and let me tell you the Mitsubishi A.S.C. is A1. What they lack in quantity they make up in quality. In Bombay especially where they have service centres located at Saki Naka, Santacruz east and navi mumbai the management is by 'Lakozy Motors' of Toyota fame (Sales outlets being in Atria Worli, Malad and Sanpada). Cedia owners in Bombay now get even better levels of service compared to the Gold class service that they were used to from Metro motors earlier. Further MH is pretty well covered with dealers in all cities be it Nagpur, Kohlapur, Nasik or Aurangabad apart from Poona and Bombay.

As for driving to and from the service centres. The need for that is totally eliminated coz the dealers run an impeccable pick and drop service. You can drive to your office and have the car picked up and brought back there itself at the end of the day. This luxury is available only bcoz Mitsubishi's sell in such low numbers and that results in not only the above convenience but also better attention to details at the service centres. Now, do low numbers relate to poor availability of spare parts. No, not at all. Infact last month I called up Aquest auto in Saki Naka for a new grill and they offered me three different types that have been used in Cedias sold since 2006 till date and ex stock at that. Needless to say there is no dearth of other parts.

Coming to real world pic now, here is a link to a fellow members thread wherein he has posted each and every expense he has made on his pre worshipped 2007 make Cedia that had 22K on the odo when he bought it in 2009. The car has just undergone the 80000 kilometer service and the figures will come as a pleasant surprise.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2463413

My Cedia sports bought last year has 18700 odd kilometers on the odo and except for the running repair expenses of 600 odd bucks which was the result of a faulty ICE installation (done outside the A.S.C.) I have not spent a single paise except on fuel. The running figures are not bad either. I get an average of 11 kmpl in New Bombay/Dilli and a shade below 14 kmpl on highways at triple digit speeds, AC on Auto mode 100% time. Yet another member gets 9~10 KMPL and his car shuttles between Andheri west and Vikhroli every day with 100% on Auto AC mode. Here is a log of his experiences

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...red-beast.html

Do remember this is a 2.0 liter engine and not the puny 1.6s which offer around the same average in similar traffic conditions while the driver and the passenger sit in cramped interiors and hop skip and jump as their vehicle do not have the benefit of neither the 2600mm wheel base nor the all wheel independent suspension of the Cedia. Parking and getting in to and out of tight spots is a breeze with the tight 4.9 mts turning radius, I could go on but best would be for you to test drive this vehicle. Do call up the Malad showroom and ask for Gaurav, he is one of the best auto sales guys in the country across brands. Better yet would be fil up the online form, I went down this path and my sale process was handled directly by Mitsubishi and billed via the nearest dealer.

Test Drive ? Mitsubishi Motors | Mitsubishi Cedia | Lancer | Montero | Pajero | Outlander

Let us know how the test drive or rather the Cedia experience goes, irrespective of your decision.

Quote:
I was told 3 weeks for pertol from date of launch and 3 months for diesel. But i guess it would be approx 3 months for both.
Petrol deliveries will be quicker, especially if you are opting for the Zxi version. Infact most Pune dealers will offer you the Zxi exstock as for some reason the Zxi is quite popular in Pune. When I got my Zxi in Dec '08 deliveries across Bombay were in 7 days to 2 weeks time and nearly all of the Poona dealers had them ex stock and with colour choices too. It was a no brainer really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
and dude you must be joking when you are looking at Punto to match handling of Swift Punto is definitely miles ahead in the Handling department.

About the TATA ASC - Yes they are not No. 1 , Maruti is !
Fiat vehicles do offer great ride and good handling but in the Punto the A pillar is very bothersome when it comes to enthusiastic driving especially when handling curvy roads and then you do have the infamous Tata A.S.C.s

Quote:
Is this an enthusiasts/drivers car? I doubt it will have a stiff suspension like the Swift. Any suggestions?
Liva or the Etios are not enthusiast's cars by any measure.

Quote:
I have got pics but not sure if I should publish them.
Yes why not. Have you never been through the various scoop threads. Do publish them in right earnest.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 11:33   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Now that you are looking at the Fiesta classic i.e. sedans again, I thought it would be the opportune moment to put in my thoughts especially in view of your requirements underlined below. Like many others on this thread I drove a drivers car the Zen from 1996 till earlier this year when unfortunately it was stolen, an OHC type1 from 1998 to 2008, then a Swift zxi from 2008 till date and that experience was further enhanced when I bought the Cedia Sports 2.0 L in March last year. So in many ways I understand completely what you are looking for and trust me around the 10L mark after the Cedia one would have to jump straight to an Audi A4 with the 3.0 liter petrol or otherwise the BMW 5 with an inline 6 cylinder to get that seat of the pants feel on the way to driving Nirvana.
No no my friend Khoj. Im back with a hatch and hence the same is moved here. My budget is 7L on road so Cedia is out of the question. But thank you for the trouble taken with the write up. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Let us know how the test drive or rather the Cedia experience goes, irrespective of your decision.
Based on your detailed writeup, I will atleast test drive the vehicle and let you know.

Quote:
Petrol deliveries will be quicker, especially if you are opting for the Zxi version. Infact most Pune dealers will offer you the Zxi exstock as for some reason the Zxi is quite popular in Pune. When I got my Zxi in Dec '08 deliveries across Bombay were in 7 days to 2 weeks time and nearly all of the Poona dealers had them ex stock and with colour choices too. It was a no brainer really.
I am hoping for the same as I am looking at the petrol variant.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:40   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Other than the sporty feel and handling that I get in the Swift, my main requirements and most important are the after sales service. I am so used to the flawless after sales of Maruti Suzuki that I don't want to experience anything less!
Quote:
Hey guys,

What about the Toyota Etios Liva? The 'V' variant has all the goodies for the price of approximately 6L on road I guess?

Is this an enthusiasts/drivers car? I doubt it will have a stiff suspension like the Swift. Any suggestions?
With the overriding requirement you've mentioned in your opening post, the only car, other than the new Swift, that would meet your requirements including your A.S.S. expectations is Liva from Toyota stable with its redoubtable A.S.S. At the same time, Liva petrol may not be for you. Even though the suspension is tuned for your liking, the engine lacks low-end punch as per GTO's TD report (strongly recommended for reading!). Nevertheless, I would suggest you to TD the car yourself.

You're somehow sold out on petrol, whereas your run demands that you go in for diesel. Any specific reason for not considering diesel?
Old 17th August 2011, 13:29   #94
BHPian

[quote=Epic;2468573]Yes, I changed my mind about a sedan during the course of this thread as the only sedan with good handling capabilities and which I thought would be in my budget of 6.5L - 7L was the Ford Fiesta. But now since the new Fiesta has launched the starting price is 8L +. Hence thought I'll go in for a good hatch now and probably buy a sedan the next time around.

Well, coming to the handling part, I was not aware the Punto is that good in this department. It is a shame that the after sales is so bad for such a good car. As I mentioned earlier, I am really keen to look at the Punto, especially for the features it offers at that price. The only thing stopping me is after sales support.

You seem to have a Punto, what do you suggest I do?
[quote=Epic;2468573]
Epic, I guess you should consider test driving a diesel Punto before arriving at a decision. I have never driven a swift. Hence I am not able to compare the ride and handling capabilities between the two. I migrated from Santro Xing to Punto Diesel two years ago and have clocked 21000 kms till now. To be frank, migrating from Maruti 800 and Xing to a Punto, the Punto just blew me away and continues to impress whenever I take this car for a drive. The secure feeling and the awesome ride / handling package is something which I have never experienced even when I drive my brother's NHC (not ANHC). You need to drive one for about 20~30kms in open roads to get the feel.

For your kind of mileage, diesel makes more sense. Also, note that the car will not be as peppy and raring to do in the first two gears compared to the swift. You might feel a big lag initially. However, the car gets better as you much more mileage. Drive Polo, Punto, Jazz back to back to compare and decide.
Old 17th August 2011, 18:38   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Liva or the Etios are not enthusiast's cars by any measure.
Pl. allow me to differ with you, though I am not sure how you would define an enthusiast's car.

The comparison here is with Swift. I'll just quote GTO from the below mentioned thread when Etios was being compared with, mind you, THE Fiesta (now Classic)...

Ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2250036

While responding to
Quote:
IMHO, Etios can't be compared with Fiesta. Fiesta is much better in most aspects, except may be the reliability of Toyota brand and A.S.S.
Here is GTO on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why can't it be compared? The Etios is as fast, is w-a-a-y more spacious, has excellent driveability and a nice ride. Fiesta advantages : Outright advantage in handling and better quality interiors.
and on
Quote:
Etios... I guess its too boring!!!
GTO had the following to say
Quote:
Have you driven it? I can tell you that, in the 6 lakh rupee segment, it is the most fun to drive on the open road. The handling is even better than the Altis and it's quick! Of course, the Fiesta is more entertaining, but that doesn't make the Etios "boring".
And I vouch for the above observations being an Etios owner.

Liva is a different story in engine compartment with a smaller 1.2 Litre mill tuned for FE, but that does not take anything away from its balanced ride quality and excellent handling.

My apologies, but needed to give correct picture to Epic for his decision making!
Old 17th August 2011, 18:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

The very basic definition of an enthusiasts car is one that offers brilliant handling, speed is a factor too but that alone does not mean anything. To quote from the same post of GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Fiesta advantages : Outright advantage in handling and better quality interiors.

I understand & appreciate your concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma
needed to give correct picture to Epic for his decision making!

Last edited by khoj : 17th August 2011 at 19:01.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:40   #97
BHPian

With Fiesta also comes the all expensive maintenance from the Ford stable.
IMHO you can also have a look at the Honda Brio which is going to be launched soon.
Old 19th August 2011, 01:55   #98
BHPian

Quote:
My Cedia sports bought last year has 18700 odd kilometers on the odo and except for the running repair expenses of 600 odd bucks which was the result of a faulty ICE installation (done outside the A.S.C.) I have not spent a single paise except on fuel. The running figures are not bad either. I get an average of 11 kmpl in New Bombay/Dilli and a shade below 14 kmpl on highways at triple digit speeds, AC on Auto mode 100% time. Yet another member gets 9~10 KMPL and his car shuttles between Andheri west and Vikhroli every day with 100% on Auto AC mode. Here is a log of his experiences
Your write up has got me interested in the Cedia Sports. Not meaning to highjack Epic's thread but could you tell us about the maintenance intervals and how much would one spend on an average at a scheduled service?

Thanks.
Old 19th August 2011, 15:13   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Your write up has got me interested in the Cedia Sports. Not meaning to highjack Epic's thread but could you tell us about the maintenance intervals and how much would one spend on an average at a scheduled service?

Thanks.
Hi Nimz,

Glad that you are getting Ceduced

The service intervals are
1st 1000kms or 3months from purchase
2nd 5000 kms or 6 months from purchase
3rd 10000 kms or 12 months from purchase

Above three are free except for oil change in the 3rd, where I switched from Mineral to Synthetic which cost me 3600 odd. The vehicle is now approaching 4th service mark @ 20000 kms or 24 months and it is only then that I will be in a position to post expenses.

However gaurav_chopra04 has posted a very detailed statement and that gives you a bird's eye view of all sort of expenses he has incurred on the vehicle in the 50K odd kilometers that he has had the Cedia with him. Please see his post here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2463413

If you decide to go ahead with a test drive, I would encourage you to fill the online form on Mitsubishi's web site.

Test Drive ? Mitsubishi Motors | Mitsubishi Cedia | Lancer | Montero | Pajero | Outlander

This gets the manufacturer directly involved in the process and it is an all together different experience compared to that with a dealership. Ciao

Last edited by khoj : 19th August 2011 at 15:15.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 18:56   #100
BHPian

Folks, With Swift new version being launched, wanted to know if anybody have test driven it yet and if any reviews are being posted regarding the same. Couple of my colleagues are planning to go for the new Swift and they badly are in need of some initial reviews. Appreciate your help.

Mods - Please feel free to move this to relevant thread if you feel it is off topic here.
Old 20th August 2011, 16:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Folks, With Swift new version being launched, wanted to know if anybody have test driven it yet and if any reviews are being posted regarding the same. Couple of my colleagues are planning to go for the new Swift and they badly are in need of some initial reviews. Appreciate your help.

Mods - Please feel free to move this to relevant thread if you feel it is off topic here.
Hi Kirantp,

I have driven the new Swift Zxi. I can't help you compare with other cars but I can tell you that it is way better that the current Swift. I currently own a Swift myself and was amazed by the improvements induced in the new model. The handling is musch better and so are the quality of interiors. Most of all, I feel the prices are absolute value for money for what is offered.

The 'on road' price in Mumbai are:

Lxi - 503576
Vxi - 547815
Zxi - 643857

Ldi - 587274
Vdi - 646484
Zdi - 735518

I guess it will be around 30k to 40k lesser in Bangalore?

Last edited by Epic : 20th August 2011 at 16:36.
Old 20th August 2011, 17:50   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post

Consider Jazz with the new prices you can not avoid it...... overall experience of a Honda is just too good.... I own a civic and I am completely satisfied with service treatment and maintenance cost of the vehicle.
I have a swift and Indica as well.
But If I need to buy another car now then it would be Jazz....
lalitk25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 17:54   #103
BHPian

Quote:
The 'on road' price in Mumbai are:

Lxi - 503576
Vxi - 547815
Zxi - 643857

Ldi - 587274
Vdi - 646484
Zdi - 735518
Have anyone done any comparo of the prices of the old and new swifts?

If yes, can we have it here please.

P.S - No site seems to have prices of both versions on the same page so that we can compare and form our own opinions about the change in price vis-a-vis the change in value of the cars.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 18:19   #104
BHPian

@skdking:
The price difference between old and new swift are 13K for petrol and 18k for diesel.
mohandas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 18:34   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
Consider Jazz with the new prices you can not avoid it...... overall experience of a Honda is just too good....
I think with it's new price the Jazz is the best petrol hatch on offer today.

Space, engineering, mileage and one of the best petrol engines in the business. To top it all a great service experience based on what I have heard. The only drawback is their lack of service network in tier 3 towns.

Drive on!!
Shibu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks