Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 19:53   #106
BHPian

Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Kirantp,

I have driven the new Swift Zxi. I can't help you compare with other cars but I can tell you that it is way better that the current Swift. I currently own a Swift myself and was amazed by the improvements induced in the new model. The handling is musch better and so are the quality of interiors. Most of all, I feel the prices are absolute value for money for what is offered.

The 'on road' price in Mumbai are:

Lxi - 503576
Vxi - 547815
Zxi - 643857

Ldi - 587274
Vdi - 646484
Zdi - 735518

I guess it will be around 30k to 40k lesser in Bangalore?
@Epic - Thanks a lot for your quick inputs and feedback on the new Swift. I shall pass this on to my colleagues so that they can work upon it and take it forward. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
Consider Jazz with the new prices you can not avoid it...... overall experience of a Honda is just too good.... I own a civic and I am completely satisfied with service treatment and maintenance cost of the vehicle.
I have a swift and Indica as well.
But If I need to buy another car now then it would be Jazz....
@latik25 - Thanks mate. I will let my colleagues know about this as well so that they will get something to compare with Swift new version before deciding on one of them.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:08   #107
BHPian

Quote:
You all keep mentioning the Ford Fiesta Classic, but I have read almost everywhere including their website that the car starts from 8L +. Do you mean the Fiesta Classic is the older version/shape? Isn't a Ford expensive to maintain?
Hi Epic.. did you get the chance to TD a Fiesta Classic.. I got to TD a New Swift Zxi today.. getting inside itself I had a problem.. the seat cut into my thighs and I had to do so with difficulty.. even after adjusting the height the steering wheel seemed to be an issue.. I think I should have adjusted the tilt of steering..

I took it on the same roads as I had taken the Fiesta.. I kinda feel the Fiesta feels much more planted and zippy.. like in that stretch I hit a 100 kmph with the Fiesta Classic which I realized only after the sales person pointed it to me.. whereas in the Swift I had the feeling I was going fast and checked the speedo and it was at 80.. the engine was refined, NVH was excellent.. but I guess the 1.2 obviously takes a little longer to hit the 100 compared to the 1.6 in the Fiesta. Speaking of longer.. the Fiesta Classic is 432 mm longer than the Swift and in fact 9 mm narrower than the Swift!! I also liked the Fiesta's steering wheel and gearing.. You should give it a try
Old 21st August 2011, 17:20   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Hi Epic.. did you get the chance to TD a Fiesta Classic.. I got to TD a New Swift Zxi today.. getting inside itself I had a problem.. the seat cut into my thighs and I had to do so with difficulty.. even after adjusting the height the steering wheel seemed to be an issue.. I think I should have adjusted the tilt of steering..

I took it on the same roads as I had taken the Fiesta.. I kinda feel the Fiesta feels much more planted and zippy.. like in that stretch I hit a 100 kmph with the Fiesta Classic which I realized only after the sales person pointed it to me.. whereas in the Swift I had the feeling I was going fast and checked the speedo and it was at 80.. the engine was refined, NVH was excellent.. but I guess the 1.2 obviously takes a little longer to hit the 100 compared to the 1.6 in the Fiesta. Speaking of longer.. the Fiesta Classic is 432 mm longer than the Swift and in fact 9 mm narrower than the Swift!! I also liked the Fiesta's steering wheel and gearing.. You should give it a try
Hi Nimz,

Well, firstly I don't think you should compare the New Swift to the Fiesta Classic simply because they are two different cars and in two different segments. You yourself pointed out that we are looking at a 1.2 liter engine v/s a 1.6 liter. You can probably compare the two only in price I guess. I personally feel the Swift to be a better car simply because it is new in technology. I wouldn't want to buy the Fiesta Classic only because it is an older car and there already is already an upgraded version being sold along with it. It gives me a feeling like Ford wants to get rid of its older stock . Also, someone had mentioned that the maintainance cost of a Ford will be much higher.

I will be booking my Swift end November 2011 or first week of December 2011 so that I get the car by mid January 2012 as delivery for the petrol is 6 weeks.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:28   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will be booking my Swift end November 2011 or first week of December 2011 so that I get the car by mid January 2012 as delivery for the petrol is 6 weeks.
Hey Epic, so you have closed the search and decided to go with the new Swift? Who knows, you may have more options come Jan 2012
Old 21st August 2011, 17:33   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Hey Epic, so you have closed the search and decided to go with the new Swift? Who knows, you may have more options come Jan 2012
I have closed the search for now. But as you rightly said,, there may be more/better options by then. Honda Brio also coming soon I guess?
Old 21st August 2011, 17:39   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have closed the search for now. But as you rightly said,, there may be more/better options by then. Honda Brio also coming soon I guess?
Yes, Brio will be there (but I am not taking the risk to mention it as an upgrade from Swift), and who knows, there could be a Jazz 1.5 as well
Old 21st August 2011, 17:53   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, Brio will be there (but I am not taking the risk to mention it as an upgrade from Swift), and who knows, there could be a Jazz 1.5 as well
I would love to own a Honda and also have my eyes on the new Jazz. But I'm just not sure if their high prices are worth it.
Old 21st August 2011, 18:08   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would love to own a Honda and also have my eyes on the new Jazz. But I'm just not sure if their high prices are worth it.
Well, the face lifted Jazz is an excellent option, especially after the re-launch with price cut, and no quality compromise. Do a TD, and see if it works for you
Old 21st August 2011, 18:15   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Epic.. good that you have made up your mind and am still running around TDing cars.. Planning to TD the Polo 1.6 soon...

Am also looking at the Cedia (thanks to Khoj), though it is a little expensive.. the interiors looks awesome and they rank pretty much at the top in performance in Smart Cat's comparison thread..

And yes Ford - maintenance is a concern. Asking around the forum on Ford maintenance in Gurgaon...Also Polo 1.6 has the same concern!!
Old 7th October 2011, 11:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am back after a long time and unfortunately back to square one!! I have been going back and forth with choosing the right hatch and it has done no good till date. The good news is that I have narrowed down to 03 cars in that order:

1. New Honda Jazz
2. New Maruti Suzuki Swift
3. VW Polo 1.6

But here is the confusion:

1. Honda Jazz - I am all out for the Jazz but I have neither seen nor test driven the new car. The sales guys say, its the same engine and suspension and only cosmetic changes are there and ofcourse the price drop. But the waiting period is a whooping 04-06 months!!! Is it worth the wait? Besides, will the Jazz be as enthusiastic to drive as the Swift? It is definitely more spacious than the other two options.

2. Swift - As I currently own a Swift myself the only thing that pisses me off about the car are the rattles and the fact that it is prone to corrosion. For me, this is a major issue as I live bang opposite the sea. Not sure if the quality of the metal has been improved to handle this. I have been told by many experts that the quality of Maruti has improved to even better than Honda and Honda is selling more on its brand. Honda cars are equally prone to corrosion. Not sure how much of this is true but I don't want to go through the corrosion issue again. Also, the rear, specifically the windows and boot have become smaller than the previous model. Also as per GTO's review, the car is not as aggressive as the previous model.

3. VW Polo 1.6 - This sort of fits pretty good specifically because of the 06 year anti corrosion warranty. But I am worried about the cost of maintaniance. Again, I have been told that the cost of maintainance is almost equal to that of higend cars like Mercs. Again, don't know how much of this is true but I wouldn't want this.
Old 7th October 2011, 11:39   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

I am back after a long time and unfortunately back to square one!! I have been going back and forth with choosing the right hatch and it has done no good till date. The good news is that I have narrowed down to 03 cars in that order:

1. New Honda Jazz
3. VW Polo 1.6

1. Honda Jazz - I am all out for the Jazz but I have neither seen nor test driven the new car. The sales guys say, its the same engine and suspension and only cosmetic changes are there and ofcourse the price drop. But the waiting period is a whooping 04-06 months!!! Is it worth the wait? Besides, will the Jazz be as enthusiastic to drive as the Swift? It is definitely more spacious than the other two options.

2. Swift - As I currently own a Swift myself the only thing that pisses me off about the car are the rattles and the fact that it is prone to corrosion. For me, this is a major issue as I live bang opposite the sea. Not sure if the quality of the metal has been improved to handle this. I have been told by many experts that the quality of Maruti has improved to even better than Honda and Honda is selling more on its brand. Honda cars are equally prone to corrosion. Not sure how much of this is true but I don't want to go through the corrosion issue again. Also, the rear, specifically the windows and boot have become smaller than the previous model. Also as per GTO's review, the car is not as aggressive as the previous model.

3. VW Polo 1.6 - This sort of fits pretty good specifically because of the 06 year anti corrosion warranty. But I am worried about the cost of maintaniance. Again, I have been told that the cost of maintainance is almost equal to that of higend cars like Mercs. Again, don't know how much of this is true but I wouldn't want this.
I am exactly in the same dilemma as you. I also own a civic and near the sea and have not yet faced any problem of corrosion. However both Swift (getting quite drastic actually) and i10 are facing corrosion issues.

Did not want another Swift and actually the glossy black interiors and small boot quite put me off, even if features and fun to drive factors were better.

The Polo 1.6 seemed best for corrosion since it comes with a great anti-corrosion warranty. And with the latest discounts is very competitive. But the car simply felt too 'heavy' for my wife and there was play/delay/lagging in everything, though of course it has a more powerful engine. Plus it absolutely guzzles gas. And the stories of VW / Skoda dealers did not help. The resale value of 1.6 will be nothing 5 years down the line.

Waiting period or not, went for the Jazz. 2 minutes of driving and wifey loved it. She said she did not mind waiting for it. Honda has said they are increasing production by November. Will make sure to get anti-corrosion done and checked every two years and re-done if required. Intend to upgrade tires immediately for better GC and ride quality probably at the cost of warranty. But in my 10 years of owning Hondas, never needed to use the warranty much anyway.
Old 7th October 2011, 11:49   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

1. New Honda Jazz
3. VW Polo 1.6

Good to see this thread open again and what a coincidence that I am stuck in the exact same dilemma with the three options you have mentioned! My views:

1. Honda Jazz - I am all out for the Jazz too, only the waiting period is keeping me away because honestly, I might not be able to wait that long! The sales guy told me that Honda does not compromise on quality and they are keeping production limited to single shift. While I believe that the long waiting periods have got something to do with localization levels as well as Brio launch. I test drove the car and I would not say that it is as fun to drive as Swift (I have owned Swift VXi 1.3). Two of its important characteristics are: 1) You have to rev it well to get it moving faster. 2) GC is low = 160mm - although the suspension is tuned accordingly so stiff ride at low speeds (depends on what kind of roads you are gonna drive it on). Quality-wise, IMO it has the best quality, interiors as well as overall, of the three shortlisted. If this car was available immediately, I would have bought it right away as it seems to me the most reliable of the three.

2. Swift - The rattles are supposed to have been reduced to a good level in the new Swift as per some of the reviews but it is too early to tell. Even in my Swift 1.3, the rattles became more evident after crossing 10k and kept increasing every 10k. Something that I did not like was the labour issues (which are resolved now) thus causing long waiting period on this one too. One major point is that while Maruti reassures that the waiting period will be reduced drastically by increasing production to multiple shifts, I wonder who is going to keep a check on the quality control? Regarding corrosion issues, may be you could go for a good corrosion prevention treatment and get it done in front of you. The car may not be as aggressive as the previous model, but I am sure it is more aggressive than Jazz! I had some clutch issues in my Swift 1.3 which could never be resolved so I am keeping new Swift as the last option.

3. VW Polo 1.6 - The cost of maintenance is around 7-8k per year it seems, according to some ownership reports. I believe this might increase with each passing year of ownership. Some points worth considering about this car are: 1) The VW facebook page is full of complaints and it seems a lot of people are in trouble! I do not see VW responding there, so I wonder if the A.S.S would be good. 2) There are reports that VW has not manufactured 1.6 after April / May 2011 (reason unknown). Not sure if this is speculation or fact, you might not be able to get a freshly manufactured piece! If you enquire around and find that a fresh piece is available, please do let me know. 3) There is a chance that an updated version with additional features (steering-mounted controls, etc.) might be launched soon. But with the current offers of upto 40k off, I think it is ok to go for current model.

IMO, in terms of reliability, Jazz is on top followed by Polo and then Swift.
Old 7th October 2011, 17:15   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you already lived with a Swift, I would suggest you pick a new brand / car. If you love to drive & service / spare costs are not an issue, why don't you buy Polo 1.6? If that's a problem, I would pick the Jazz any day. It makes a lot more sense to me. I am still not sure whether the quality of new Swift is all that great to remove the rattling issue, from the reviews it looks to me that the rattles are going to come back after some 10K drives [In couple of reviews it's mentioned that the quality is NOT really ages ahead!]

Edit: In sedans, I would vote for Fiesta Classic / Optra / Linea. From the monthly running you quoted, I guess a diesel will make more sense to you [3000 km every month?]

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th October 2011 at 17:21.
Old 7th October 2011, 17:28   #119
Senior - BHPian

Why are you looking for a sedan again ? If diesel is not required, you should look at Linea Tjet. Else Vento Tdi.

Do you still really want to buy a hatch, what is the reason behind going for a hatch again ?

Last edited by F150 : 7th October 2011 at 17:30.
Old 7th October 2011, 20:27   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi guys,

1. New Honda Jazz
3. VW Polo 1.6
If you have to choose from these three, I will suggest going with the Jazz. Are you looking for petrol options only?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks