Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 12:12   #151
BHPian

Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

when you are okay to go for Polo or Fabia, that means A.S.S is not a major concern for you.

Then what is the problem with FIAT PUNTO fully loaded in diesel?
Old 14th November 2011, 12:48   #152
Senior - BHPian

It is always a tough choice to make between Polo & Fabia. But Frankly speaking a am not a fan of the 1.6L petrol. Don’t get me wrong though, it is pretty good but does not feel like a 1.6L. Too bad we don’t get the 1.2L Tsi engine here. I think Polo is a better choice because it is a new car (atleast in india) and it looks way way better than the Fabia. Sure the interiors of Fabia are better and has a bit more space but thats it. AS\s you mentioned Polo feels a bit more entertaining to drive, it has better brand image, and more importantly the agressive marketing of VW indicates they are here to stay. Also look at the number of Polo and fabia sold as of today. Which one will you think will have better spares availability after 10 years? Which will have better resale? So in case you are looking at the long run It is the Polo.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:55   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, strictly choosing between the Fabia & the Polo (in their 1.6 avatars), I would recommend the Polo 1.6. Lack of some features notwithstanding, the build quality, looks, riding comfort, handling and interior comfort are pretty solid and better than the Fabia. Not to mention, it is the hottest hatch (in terms of performance alone) on Indian roads right now.

Plus VW is here to stay, and the Polo will be around for at least the next 8-10 years. The Polo 1.6 is the way to go.
Old 14th November 2011, 15:39   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
when you are okay to go for Polo or Fabia, that means A.S.S is not a major concern for you.

Then what is the problem with FIAT PUNTO fully loaded in diesel?
I don't know when or where in any of my posts have I given the impression that after sales is not my priority. As a matter of fact, since I have now decided on buying either the Polo or Fabia, the only deciding factor now is which has better after sales. Based on the feedback I am getting from various sources, the VW seems to be the way to go.

I can never imagine sending a Fiat to a Tata workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
It is always a tough choice to make between Polo & Fabia. But Frankly speaking a am not a fan of the 1.6L petrol. Don’t get me wrong though, it is pretty good but does not feel like a 1.6L. Too bad we don’t get the 1.2L Tsi engine here. I think Polo is a better choice because it is a new car (atleast in india) and it looks way way better than the Fabia. Sure the interiors of Fabia are better and has a bit more space but thats it. AS\s you mentioned Polo feels a bit more entertaining to drive, it has better brand image, and more importantly the agressive marketing of VW indicates they are here to stay. Also look at the number of Polo and fabia sold as of today. Which one will you think will have better spares availability after 10 years? Which will have better resale? So in case you are looking at the long run It is the Polo.
Yes you are right, the number of Polos are much more on the road than the Fabia which is a tad cheaper and has the same build quality if not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Well, strictly choosing between the Fabia & the Polo (in their 1.6 avatars), I would recommend the Polo 1.6. Lack of some features notwithstanding, the build quality, looks, riding comfort, handling and interior comfort are pretty solid and better than the Fabia. Not to mention, it is the hottest hatch (in terms of performance alone) on Indian roads right now.

Plus VW is here to stay, and the Polo will be around for at least the next 8-10 years. The Polo 1.6 is the way to go.
Yes, it probably beats any other car in the looks department.
Old 14th November 2011, 16:03   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I don't know when or where in any of my posts have I given the impression that after sales is not my priority. As a matter of fact, since I have now decided on buying either the Polo or Fabia, the only deciding factor now is which has better after sales. Based on the feedback I am getting from various sources, the VW seems to be the way to go.

Well then, please note that VW is also not that good when it comes to A.S.S., its horribly expensive as well.

Being in Mumbai, maintaining a FIAT wont be a problem. Between a Polo & Punto, I would pick the Punto... Ohhh, I already did that!

yes, but if brand image matters to you, Polo is the right choice.

P.S.: I own a Punto & used to work in VW, so I have driven both cars.
Old 14th November 2011, 16:37   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Well then, please note that VW is also not that good when it comes to A.S.S., its horribly expensive as well.

Being in Mumbai, maintaining a FIAT wont be a problem. Between a Polo & Punto, I would pick the Punto... Ohhh, I already did that!

Oh great. Well, if I am not mistaken, the parts for both VW and Skoda are much cheaper now as they are localized. Atleast that is what I have been told. I did find out about the cost of spare parts at Skoda and they seemed pretty reasonable. For example, I had enquired about a clutch for the Skoda Fabia which I was quoted 12k. I believe the cost at one time was around 30k?
Old 14th November 2011, 16:59   #157
BHPian

I am not too sure about the parts but service costs are pretty high for VW.
I booked my appointment for 1st service of Polo(petrol) over the phone and i was given the service costs estimate as Rs 9000 This is damn high for hatch.

Will give and update once i get it serviced this friday.
Old 14th November 2011, 17:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh great. Well, if I am not mistaken, the parts for both VW and Skoda are much cheaper now as they are localized. Atleast that is what I have been told. I did find out about the cost of spare parts at Skoda and they seemed pretty reasonable. For example, I had enquired about a clutch for the Skoda Fabia which I was quoted 12k. I believe the cost at one time was around 30k?
When compared, I find parts of VW to be more expensive than Maruti, Hyundai & Fiat.

Other than that, VW does not offer any free services. Servicing costs are usually in the range of 8k-10k, repair or alternate jobs not included.

Compared to Polo,

* First paid service of Polo is at 15k kms, whereas first paid service of Punto is at 45k kms, that means till 45k kms, you are spending close to nothing on the car. Punto is terribly underrated, give it a look.

* Punto has 5 years paint warranty & 5 years anti-corrosion warranty. Polo has 3 years paint warranty & 6 years anti corrosion warranty. Only difference is VW shouts about this & FIAT does not even bother!

* Punto has 4 years unlimited kms warranty whereas Polo has 2 years unlimited kms warranty.

Yes, some Puntos have had issues but that applies to Polo as well.

Many Polos have a left pulling problem & AC issue right from day 1. atleast issues in Punto would be cheaper!

Issues in Punto -

1) 1st & 2rd gear is too slow
2) Many complain of parts unavailablity. I have not faced this yet.
3) Brand image & future
4) Poor resale value

Also, since you want your car to be loaded with features, Polo seems bare basic in front of the fully loaded Punto. There are many features in the Punto which is not even mentioned anywhere in the brochure or website. I dont generally recommend a punto to anyone, but for your needs, its seems to be a good proposition.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th November 2011 at 17:15.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:01   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have to decide between the Polo 1.6 and Fabia 1.6.
Both are good options, but between these two, I will suggest the Fabia 1.6. Polo looks elegant, but as an overall package I feel the Fabia makes more sense.

What is the timeline you’re looking at? If VW decides to bring the 1.2/1.4TSI engines to early next year, It could get into the complete range of small cars as well.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:11   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

I think you are referring to the Punto 1.4. Yes it is a good car. It looks a good as Polo but even with the 1.4L petrol the performance is average. But it makes up for it in the ride & handling department specially with the steering feedback.
However the major problem with the Punto is the interior quality which is simply dismal. The fit & finish is below par, and the ergonomics is all messed up. Personally I dont also like the retro dials and instrumental custer. Not even the looks of the rest of the dashboard.
While Punto is great in certain areas it is also poor in many. I own a Palio and can vouch the the A$$ is not highly expensive but it is simply horrible. You need to visit the Workshop several times before the issues get solved.
I would rather pay more and get it done in the 1st time.

Overall Polo is a more balanced car. Is has no glaring deal-breakers and hence is a better choice.

BTW you worked in VW. Why did you leave and where do you work now?
Old 14th November 2011, 20:44   #161
BHPian

Does anyone else feel that the clutch in a Punto just has way too much travel? TD'ed one yesterday and I was quite uncomfortable. The gears were pathetic (read rubbery) and the long clutch compounded the issue.

Thought it could be an issue with the TD vehicle, so requested for a wee peek in a customers vehicle. Alas, it was the same. Looks like I have to wait till a find a replacement for my Swift ZDI which is scheduled for delivery sometime next year.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:11   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I think you are referring to the Punto 1.4. Yes it is a good car. It looks a good as Polo but even with the 1.4L petrol the ....

While Punto is great in certain areas it is also poor in many. I own a Palio and can vouch the the A$$ is not highly expensive but it is simply horrible. You need to visit the Workshop several times before the issues get solved.
I would rather pay more and get it done in the 1st time.
No, I was talking about the Punto 90 hp. I wont recommend the Punto petrol, it is too sluggish.
Old 14th November 2011, 22:42   #163
BHPian

Quote:

Yes that is exactly what i wanted to tell you
When you trust VW or Skoda for their A.S.S and the kind of money they will charge you over a period of time, its much better to trust TATA and FIAT.

FIAT are taking some aggressive steps like selling FIAT cars on their own away from TATA showrooms etc. You'll be more happy with the Punto(I'm telling this keeping a tenor of 5 to 6 years in mind)

Cheers
Old 16th November 2011, 14:08   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars
Yes that is exactly what i wanted to tell you
When you trust VW or Skoda for their A.S.S and the kind of money they will charge you over a period of time, its much better to trust TATA and FIAT.

FIAT are taking some aggressive steps like selling FIAT cars on their own away from TATA showrooms etc. You'll be more happy with the Punto(I'm telling this keeping a tenor of 5 to 6 years in mind)

Cheers
Well. I understand where you are going with this but I personally feel that the quality of a VW & Skoda are definitely better than that of Fiat and at least one does not have to service their precious car at the service centre of another company and that too Tata which have never really had a successful model on road till date!

Coming back to the decision between VW & Skoda, I would consider the VW more now due to the advice on this thread and also because you really see more Polos on the streets than Fabias or even Puntos for that matter eventhough both these models were in existence way before the Polo. That is definitely something to think about now isn't it?
Old 16th November 2011, 15:34   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well. I understand where you are going with this but I personally feel that the quality of a VW & Skoda are definitely better than that of Fiat and at least one does not have to service their precious car at the service centre of another company and that too Tata which have never really had a successful model on road till date!
LOL, the very fact that there are no cry threads on FIAT vehicles even though the TATA guys are taking care of the A.S.S. and those on Skoda and VW are aplenty tells one about the basic design strength which in itself leads to strong manufacturing quality.

As for TATA never having had a successful model, while we may not like the Indica/Indigo range remember they earned enough money for the company to leverage a purchase of Daewoo's commercial vehicle operations first and Jaguar + LandRover later. So TATA guys are not that bad then. Do visit their A.S.S. workshops, things rather attitudes are much improved.

This is by no means meant to put anyone off VW but only to dispel certain misnomers people in general have regarding FIAT & Telco.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks