Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 15:38   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Coming back to the decision between VW & Skoda, I would consider the VW more now due to the advice on this thread and also because you really see more Polos on the streets than Fabias or even Puntos for that matter eventhough both these models were in existence way before the Polo. That is definitely something to think about now isn't it?
I disagree with this observation. I see more Puntos on the streets in Pune than Polos. I have nothing against the car or VW, just stating what I see. Unless the Punto attracts my attention more than the Polo
This may be different in various cities/ regions though.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 18:39   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
LOL, the very fact that there are no cry threads on FIAT vehicles even though the TATA guys are taking care of the A.S.S. and those on Skoda and VW are aplenty tells one about the basic design strength which in itself leads to strong manufacturing quality.

As for TATA never having had a successful model, while we may not like the Indica/Indigo range remember they earned enough money for the company to leverage a purchase of Daewoo's commercial vehicle operations first and Jaguar + LandRover later. So TATA guys are not that bad then. Do visit their A.S.S. workshops, things rather attitudes are much improved.

This is by no means meant to put anyone off VW but only to dispel certain misnomers people in general have regarding FIAT & Telco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I disagree with this observation. I see more Puntos on the streets in Pune than Polos. I have nothing against the car or VW, just stating what I see. Unless the Punto attracts my attention more than the Polo
This may be different in various cities/ regions though.
Hey guys,

I don't intend to start an arguement or anything of that sort with regards to which company, be it VW, Skoda, Fiat or Tata are better as I am sure they all have their positives and negatives. I have never owned any of these brands other than a Maruti so cannot comment. Very frankly my Swift too had issues with quality which was sad for such a beautiful car but to a certain extent I was calmed only because of their after sales support which took care of it. If you go through my entire thread from the beginning, you would have noticed that at one point of time I was sold on the Swift. It was only after I test drove the Polo & Fabia that I changed my mind.

I have asked many friends who currently own VWs, Skodas and Fiats and all have suggested VW and specifically because the Skoda owners are convinced that VW has better service than Skoda. Fiat owners on the other hand are pretty neutral in their feedback but they too have recommended VW. But none really regret buying their respective cars.

I have visited Fortune Motors at Saki Naka in Mumbai a month back which is an authorized service station for Tata with a friend of mine who had to service his Indica and it was a horrid experience.

Anyway, I will still take a look and a test drive of the Fiat Punto.

EDIT : Just called up Concorde Motors at Prabhadevi in mumbai to enquire about the Fiat Punto 90 hp and I was in for a rude shock when I was told that it is INR 8L on road!!! They are giving a 35k discount which brings it to INR 7.65L on road!! I think they are really making you pay for features while giving you a 1.4 litre engine with 93bhp as compared to the VW/Skoda 1.6 litre engine with 105 bhp which are less than 7L on road after discounts!!

Last edited by Epic : 16th November 2011 at 18:51.
Old 16th November 2011, 19:26   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just called up Concorde Motors at Prabhadevi in mumbai to enquire about the Fiat Punto 90 hp and I was in for a rude shock when I was told that it is INR 8L on road!!! They are giving a 35k discount which brings it to INR 7.65L on road!! I think they are really making you pay for features while giving you a 1.4 litre engine with 93bhp as compared to the VW/Skoda 1.6 litre engine with 105 bhp which are less than 7L on road after discounts!!
Epic, you are comparing diesel v/s petrol here. If Polo/Fabia comes with the diesel heart from Vento/Rapid, I’m sure it will cost about the same (or probably more) as the Punto. And don’t go by the engine size. If tomorrow VW launches the Polo with a 1.2/1.4 TSI motor, it will surely be more expensive than the current 1.6.
Old 16th November 2011, 22:39   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Epic, you are comparing diesel v/s petrol here. If Polo/Fabia comes with the diesel heart from Vento/Rapid, I’m sure it will cost about the same (or probably more) as the Punto. And don’t go by the engine size. If tomorrow VW launches the Polo with a 1.2/1.4 TSI motor, it will surely be more expensive than the current 1.6.
Oh yes, my apologies guys. Didn't realize the Punto was a diesel

Back to the Fabia & Polo. My Dad did some research today himself and even though his friends and colleagues have vouched for the Fabia over the Polo, they couldn't vouch for Skoda after sales.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:27   #170
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Just a brief update and a recap of the story so far.

Cars Considered & Test Driven

1. Maruti Suzuki Swift (Test Driven) - Car was great to drive and excellent VFM. Definitely better than my current Swift in terms of handling and quality. But for some reason we found the rear seating to be lesser than that available in my current car. We just didn't seem to feel at home in the car. We also found the metal of the car, like the doors to be thinner than before. - Ruled Out!

2. Hyundai i20 (Test Driven) - Excellent VFM for the features offered on the Asta at a price of 6.8 lakhs on road. Driving experience was not that great. Didn't really have fun driving the car. Engine was sluggish. Also found the seating to be a bit low. - Ruled Out!

3. Nissan Micra (Considered) - Looking at the specs, the engine seems under powered and the 3-cylinder engine put me off. Not sure of after sales service - Ruled Out!

4. Fiat Punto (Considered) - Was looking at the 90 HP version but found it too overprised for a Fiat. Review on after sales from friends were not very positive - Ruled Out!

5. Honda Jazz (Test Driven) - Excellent car for the features and space offered. The Honda badge was also a positive. Didn't find the car fun to drive in the handling department and it really needed to be pushed. Long waiting period and bookings closed kept us away. - Ruled Out!

6. Ford Figo (Test Driven) - Price was very attractive. Liked the handling to a certain extent but was disappointed with the powertrain. Was advised by friends and expert mechanics to avoid Ford due to overpriced parts and non-availablity of the same. - Ruled Out!

7. Toyota Etios Liva (Test Driven) - The worst car of the lot! Pathetic powertrain, pathetic handling and zero steering response. - Ruled Out!

8. Skoda Fabia 1.6 (Test Driven) - Excellent robust car and very spacious especially at the rear. Lacked a basic feature of a rear wiper and defogger even in the top end model. Ruled out specifically due to the Skoda After Sales horror stories. - Ruled Out!

9. VW Polo 1.6 (Test Driven) - Has everything I need. Love the car totally for its power and handling. Really wish it had more features for the premium price that it is demanding. - Considering at the moment.
Old 1st December 2011, 01:27   #171
BHPian

If the after sales of tatas are main determinant in your buying decision ,then you should definitely give punto a try.Tata-fiat join venture are trying to tie their loose ends in the knotty segment of after sales .I personally own punto mjd which have clocked 42000kms in span of 18 months and i tell you I have had my share of troubles but they are simply blown to wind the moment I get my self on the wheels .
Old 1st December 2011, 09:43   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
If the after sales of tatas are main determinant in your buying decision ,then you should definitely give punto a try.Tata-fiat join venture are trying to tie their loose ends in the knotty segment of after sales .I personally own punto mjd which have clocked 42000kms in span of 18 months and i tell you I have had my share of troubles but they are simply blown to wind the moment I get my self on the wheels .
Yes but I had also mentioned that I found the car (90 HP) too overpriced.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:28   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes but I had also mentioned that I found the car (90 HP) too overpriced.
Have you considered the discounts, free insurance & other freebies you are getting with the car?
Old 1st December 2011, 16:28   #174
BHPian

Ok ,but why are you so bent on the punto 90 HP ,if thats overpriced then go for the version which falls in the correct price range ,moreover if you want to keep the car for long time long to come then resale value would also be of concern to you.
Buying can never be purely rational decision its more in the nature of optimization so ,its subjective
praveen singh
Old 1st December 2011, 18:39   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Have you considered the discounts, free insurance & other freebies you are getting with the car?
Yes but it still comes to more than 7.5 lakhs. My budget is 7 lakhs max on road. After discounts on the Polo 1.6, the onroad price is 6.8 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Ok ,but why are you so bent on the punto 90 HP ,if thats overpriced then go for the version which falls in the correct price range ,moreover if you want to keep the car for long time long to come then resale value would also be of concern to you.
Buying can never be purely rational decision its more in the nature of optimization so ,its subjective
praveen singh
I am looking at the 90 HP specifically because I am currently driving an 88 bhp vehicle and I would want to go down on in any aspect with regards to the engine. The Punto 1.2 is just 68 bhp and this is also the same reason why I did not consider the Polo 1.2 either. With regards to resale, I am not sure if Fiat has a good resale value.

EDIT : Just called up Fortune Motors (Fiat Authorised Dealer) at Powai in Mumbai and got a pretty nice deal for the both the 90 HP Puntos.

Petrol 90 HP Emotion Pk - 7.04 lakhs on road less 75k discount = 6.29 lakhs on road (excellent price)
Diesel 90 HP Emotion Pk - 7.95 lakhs on road less 10k discount - 7.85 lakhs on road (pretty much over my budget)

I am still tempted towards the 100 bhp Polo 1.6 though!! The goodies in the Punto are way better than that offered in the Polo for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Hi. I just happened to check out the Fiat website, apparently there is a 90 HP in both, deisel as well as petrol!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Please read the board rules before posting further.

Quote:
* Punto has 5 years paint warranty & 5 years anti-corrosion warranty. Polo has 3 years paint warranty & 6 years anti corrosion warranty. Only difference is VW shouts about this & FIAT does not even bother!
I have specifically searched for this post of yours and replying to it as I did call up Fiat and ask about the paint and anti-corrosion warranty and I am sorry to say that they DO NOT offer this warranty at all. Hence your information is absolutely worng and should not be shared with team members who are planning to spend hard earned money on a brand new car. Please do not get carried away and be over confident with a product just because you own it and probably a fan of the brand. It is just not right to make such a claim which is not true.

I mean, think about it youself as it is common sense that if they don't mention it, they obviously do not offer it!! VW shouts about it because they offer it and other manufacturers do not!!

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2011 at 15:41. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 1st December 2011, 23:51   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have specifically searched for this post of yours and replying to it as I did call up Fiat and ask about the paint and anti-corrosion warranty and I am sorry to say that they DO NOT offer this warranty at all. Hence your information is absolutely worng and should not be shared with team members who are planning to spend hard earned money on a brand new car. Please do not get carried away and be over confident with a product just because you own it and probably a fan of the brand. It is just not right to make such a claim which is not true.

I mean, think about it youself as it is common sense that if they don't mention it, they obviously do not offer it!! VW shouts about it because they offer it and other manufacturers do not!!
My dear friend,

before shooting off such a long post to me, atleast you could have bothered to ask me the source!

Have a look -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2384035

If any of your friends have a Punto, have a look at the "cosmetic warranty" & "anti perforation warranty" section in the warranty booklet.

In the booklet, the warranty is mentioned as 2 years though (similar to the normal warranty which is also mentioned as 2 years but is actually 4 years), but I was told that it is 5 years. If you want, you can report my post to the MODS & get it deleted.

So I am sorry,

1) if you felt I was trying to wrongly guide you towards spending your hard earned money
2) if you felt I am posting wrong info purposely since I am carried away & over confident

I am not a FIAT fan at all!

There are many things which FIAT does not mention but is given as freebies:

1) 4 years unlimited kms warranty on the car. on the booklet, it is mentioned as 2 yrs/80,000 kms.
2) Free roadside assistance

Finally buddy, if you want to buy a Polo or a Fabia or a Vista or anything for that matter, I would not care much. I am in no ways pushing you for a Punto as that is not my job. I dont work for FIAT!

P.S.: I have worked in VW for quite some time & I do know quite some things about the Polo 1.6, but now you have made me feel happy that I dint mention it here or else you would have pressed charges on me for again misguiding you!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 1st December 2011 at 23:56.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:08   #177
Senior - BHPian

@epic - Is it a sin if one is Fiat fan ?

I totally agree with Raj that there are lot of hidden things on the Punto. And, get to know that VW does not give any free service. You are bound to pay for the service from day one.

Both Punto and Polo 1.6 are good cars. No doubt about that.
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:28   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My dear friend,

before shooting off such a long post to me, atleast you could have bothered to ask me the source!

Have a look -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2384035

If any of your friends have a Punto, have a look at the "cosmetic warranty" & "anti perforation warranty" section in the warranty booklet.

In the booklet, the warranty is mentioned as 2 years though (similar to the normal warranty which is also mentioned as 2 years but is actually 4 years), but I was told that it is 5 years. If you want, you can report my post to the MODS & get it deleted.

So I am sorry,

1) if you felt I was trying to wrongly guide you towards spending your hard earned money
2) if you felt I am posting wrong info purposely since I am carried away & over confident

I am not a FIAT fan at all!

There are many things which FIAT does not mention but is given as freebies:

1) 4 years unlimited kms warranty on the car. on the booklet, it is mentioned as 2 yrs/80,000 kms.
2) Free roadside assistance

Finally buddy, if you want to buy a Polo or a Fabia or a Vista or anything for that matter, I would not care much. I am in no ways pushing you for a Punto as that is not my job. I dont work for FIAT!

P.S.: I have worked in VW for quite some time & I do know quite some things about the Polo 1.6, but now you have made me feel happy that I dint mention it here or else you would have pressed charges on me for again misguiding you!
Hey Raj. Sorry if I sounded rude or pressed any wrong charges against you in any way. Didn't mean it at all. I was just wondering why you had menitioned something like this that the dealer point blankly refuses to accept. Yes, not Fiat's fault but the dealers. Please accept my humble apologies for any sort of mis-understanding.

I just found it very weird that a company offers such a valuable service which is mentioned in their booklet but they do not bother to mention it during their sales. I mean, the sales guys don't know that this warranty even exists? That doesn't speak good about Fiat sales itself, forget the after sales. I may sound very fussy and unreasonable but I had asked the same question at Skoda and eventhough the sleas guy didn't know, he bothered to go and ask and then revert which is something to be appreciated I guess.

No, I do not have any friends who own a Fiat, which is a funny thing actually since most of my friends are enthusiasts. Hell, I have probably 50 cars in my building ranging from Altos to S-Class but surprisingly not a single Fiat so it was never possible for me to get access to that booklet.

To tell you the truth, after your post and as you can see above I even went to find out the prices and consider the car. I have actually planned to test drive the car tomorrow but that will most probably be shelved as I called up a couple of experts to find out if it is a car to consider and I have been told to strictly keep away from Fiat, Ford and Chevy due to high cost and unavailability of spares. They did mention that the costs would be high even for a VW and Skoda but atleast the Polo is seen on the roads which means spares would be easily available. Their funda was, the more common the car, the better in terms of service cost and availability of spares. This also makes sense to an extent but i'm not sure about this.

Again, the Fiat booklet mentions a particular duration of warranty and different dealers are offering a different durations. I was told 04 years and you were told 05 years! I do not understand this at all. Different buyers get a different warrenty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
@epic - Is it a sin if one is Fiat fan ?

I totally agree with Raj that there are lot of hidden things on the Punto. And, get to know that VW does not give any free service. You are bound to pay for the service from day one.

Both Punto and Polo 1.6 are good cars. No doubt about that.
Definitely not a sin to be a fan of any car or brand and I have given my explanation to the concerned.

Yes I am aware of the non-free services at VW and that adds to even more confusion on the deciding factor. But I believe VW offers an AMC for 03 years if I am not mistaken which is an option one can choose in the 40k discount.
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:26   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was just wondering why you had menitioned something like this that the dealer point blankly refuses to accept. Yes, not Fiat's fault but the dealers. Please accept my humble apologies for any sort of mis-understanding.
Because a FIAT is sold by TATA! Thats the biggest mistake FIAT had done. Why would TATA be bothered to sell a FIAT?

Quote:
I just found it very weird that a company offers such a valuable service which is mentioned in their booklet but they do not bother to mention it during their sales. I mean, the sales guys don't know that this warranty even exists? That doesn't speak good about Fiat sales itself, forget the after sales.
Same reason as above.

Quote:
No, I do not have any friends who own a Fiat, which is a funny thing actually since most of my friends are enthusiasts. Hell, I have probably 50 cars in my building ranging from Altos to S-Class but surprisingly not a single Fiat so it was never possible for me to get access to that booklet.
FIAT has never managed to set the sales chart on fire anyways. And it is entirely FIAT who is to be blamed.

Who will buy a car from a company which does not have it's own service centre? Very few.

Quote:
I called up a couple of experts to find out if it is a car to consider and I have been told to strictly keep away from Fiat, Ford and Chevy due to high cost and unavailability of spares. They did mention that the costs would be high even for a VW and Skoda but atleast the Polo is seen on the roads which means spares would be easily available. Their funda was, the more common the car, the better in terms of service cost and availability of spares. This also makes sense to an extent but i'm not sure about this.
I think they are right. From a service point of view, you MAY have certain issues maintaining a FIAT.

Please dont think I am persuading you to buy a FIAT. Infact I am open enough to tell you that if you buy a FIAT, be prepared to have some minor issues with the dealer. I would recommend the Punto to only those who have test driven the car & absolutely love it. You dont feel so & if you buy a FIAT, even minor issues will give you a headache & you will start repenting.

But I can tell you that VW's service is no better or worse. Dont expect a premium treatment with VW. Some cars are not 100% trouble free either.

If you are keen on good after sales service, please have a look at Maruti or Hyundai. That is what I feel.

Quote:
Again, the Fiat booklet mentions a particular duration of warranty and different dealers are offering a different durations. I was told 04 years and you were told 05 years! I do not understand this at all. Different buyers get a different warrenty?
Warranty on the car for sure is 4 years.

Paint & anti corrosion warranty is a question mark now!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd December 2011 at 15:27.
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:54   #180
BHPian

With some serious discounts on offer for the Fabia 1.6, you should reconsider it. Just have a check about skoda's service with the owners at your place and see what really is the cause of concern.
- if its the indifferent attitude and lack of support then it is something serious.
- if service costs,spare parts and other expenditures are bothering you then VW won't be too different. Both cars are mechanically almost the same.

Wait till Jan, when you might see the improved punto.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks