Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 08:29   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic

50k cash discount and 17k corporate discount. Total on road price is 6.68L
Very good deal. Thanks for sharing the pricing.
You get a proper 4 pot motor unlike i20 asta, which is priced similarly.

Going by the feedback Polo 1.6 is a drivers car.
Old 9th February 2012, 02:03   #197
BHPian

Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

AFAIK the i20 comes with 4-cylinder engines!!
KINI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 07:42   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI

AFAIK the i20 comes with 4-cylinder engines!!
My bad so it is only the polo 1.2 that comes with 3 pot motor. Since the kappa is also 1.2 L engine, I assumed it is a 3 pot motor. I stand corrected.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:06   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, this is exactly why we chose the Polo 1.6 as it is purely a driver's car. I did like what the i20 offered for the price. It had all the bells and whistles which the Polo doesn't, like electric folding mirrors, auto climate control, audio controls on steering wheel; but the drive is what put me off totally.

We also considered a diesel but we didn't feel the savings would be much. The inflation of taxes by the government on diesel vehicles didn't make sense. Besides, no discounts on diesels either.

Quote:
My bad so it is only the polo 1.2 that comes with 3 pot motor. Since the kappa is also 1.2 L engine, I assumed it is a 3 pot motor. I stand corrected.
Yup the Polo 1.2 & Fabia 1.2 are 3-cylinder engines both for petrol and diesel. This is just silly for the price.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:26   #200
BHPian

Off topic: My friend who has 1.6 polo says, he is getting 14kmpl for city driving. While I see FE of 1.2 polo is 12kmpl. Is this due to 4 pot v/s 3pot?
Old 9th February 2012, 17:48   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Off topic: My friend who has 1.6 polo says, he is getting 14kmpl for city driving. While I see FE of 1.2 polo is 12kmpl. Is this due to 4 pot v/s 3pot?
i guess your friend must be driving the 1.6 in ARAI mileage test style

Quiet frankly, i dont think a 14 kmpl mileage on a 1.6 polo is possible in city driving. There must be some mistake in the way he calculated.

A couple of my friends also have the 1.2 and claim a mileage of 10-11 in mumbai bumper to bumper traffic with ac.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:15   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post

Quiet frankly, i dont think a 14 kmpl mileage on a 1.6 polo is possible in city driving. There must be some mistake in the way he calculated.

A couple of my friends also have the 1.2 and claim a mileage of 10-11 in mumbai bumper to bumper traffic with ac.

I think it has more to do with the fact that when you drive a car with a bigger engine all else being the same, you need less RPM to get the vehicle to the same speed.

My view is that the Polo needs a slightly more powerful engine than the 1.2 and that was put in purely to get the tax discounts and with our Indian mentality of a smaller engine must give better mileage . That is not always true.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:04   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I think it has more to do with the fact that when you drive a car with a bigger engine all else being the same, you need less RPM to get the vehicle to the same speed.

My view is that the Polo needs a slightly more powerful engine than the 1.2 and that was put in purely to get the tax discounts and with our Indian mentality of a smaller engine must give better mileage . That is not always true.
Maybe, but all other factors remaining the same (car make, traffic conditions, speed etc), i doubt a 1.6L engine will give more mileage than the 1.2L.

Hypothetical: Going by your logic, will a Nano powered by a 2.4L should return upwards of 30 kmpl!

It may be the case that 1.2 is underpowered for the polo but that a different discussion altogether.

This is an off topic discussion, lets not have it on this thread.

Last edited by funkyp : 10th February 2012 at 11:05.
Old 10th February 2012, 23:00   #204
Senior - BHPian

My bad @funkyp. I can see that I did not complete my argument which led to this confusion. I agree that this is OT but just to clarify so that the OP and other people reading this do not have any misunderstandings.

Every vehicle has an optimum engine range that gives it the best mileage. Too small and you will be revving the engine like crazy to get it moving and the mileage suffers. Too big and your mileage will drop as well.

Just to make this clearer for any readers out there who may not understand this, imagine that you put a 200 cc engine into the Polo. To get it moving you would have to be revving it like crazy whereas the 1.2 L engine does not have to rev half as much. My point follows from this. Because the 1.2 is underpowered you are revving it more than is necessary to get the vehicle moving. I believe the 1.6 is in the optimum range for the Polo and the 1.2 is underpowered.

Let us leave the topic of engine size and mileage at this. I would welcome having this discussion on another thread.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:43   #205
Senior - BHPian

Finally Booked - VW Polo 1.6 Highline

Hi all,

Back after a long time as I was busy with work and ofcourse the booking of the car and other formalities.

Yes! We finally booked our Deep Black Volkswagen Polo 1.6 Highline on 05th February 2012 and we should get delivery by 26th February 2012. Delivery would be much sooner but we ourselves asked for a delayed delivery as we were travelling and not in Mumbai.

The initial cost of the car was 7.35 on road and we enjoyed a 50k cash discount + a 17k corporate discount on this price. We also have asked for the zero depreciation insurance which would cost us an extra of 3.8k.

So the total price is 6.71 on road which would include rubber mats, mud flaps and Llumar tinted film.

Really excited and looking forward to this weekend!!!
Old 8th March 2012, 12:20   #206
BHPian

Hi Epic. What was the manufacture month of your 2011 polo. Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:46   #207
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys.

Since there was a discussion on the concerns on the fuel efficency of the Polo 1.6, I just wanted to update you all that I have been driving this car on an average of 40 kms a day since the past 02 months and completed around 2.2k kms till date and I am getting an average of 12.9 kmpl. This is not through the MID but through the full tank-to-full tank menthod. The MID shows a good 1.5 kmpl more.

My neighbour who drives a Polo 1.2 Petrol gets an average of around 11.2 kmpl!

So yes, I guess the the 1.6 is definitely more fuel efficient than the 1.2 and I am guessing that this is specifically because of the number of cylinders.
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:02   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Maybe, but all other factors remaining the same (car make, traffic conditions, speed etc), i doubt a 1.6L engine will give more mileage than the 1.2L.
It can be true that the Polo 1.6 is more efficient than the Polo 1.2 petrol. I have worked in VW and have myself witnessed this.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 00:57   #209
BHPian

Hi folks,

Giving you all a little background before starting.
Presently i have the following in my garage :
1. 2005 Swift Lxi 1,02,000 on the odo
2. 2007 Santro Xing XO 36,000 on the odo
3. 2006 Civic 1.8S AT 1,25,000 on the odo
4 2011 New Swift VXi 4500 on the odo

I am planning to replace one of the above cars, confused whether to replace the Old Swift Lxi or the Santro Xing.

The Swift i have is the base model which lacks power windows, ABS , defogger, fog lamps etc.
But all the other basic needs are totally taken care of.
Got a after market cental locking done from Autocop. Its has a power steering, got a decent ICE system and when it comes on road, oohh boy what a car it is. Definitely doesn't give you a feel that it has a 5 digit figure on the odo.
Its a great handler, its comfortable, its stable at high speeds.
It's a Maruti, so we all know its easy to maintain and doesn't bother much.
Over all happy with the car, the only thing that bothers me is the age of the car.
Usually Dad takes this car to office and it has an average running of about 40-45 kms a day.

On the other hand, i have a Santro Xing XO which is the top model of the 2007 series, So it has a central locking system, a power steering, all 4 power windows, a defogger and even got a rear wiper.
It has just done 36,000 kms in 5 years.
The car definitely lacks the FEEL factor when it comes to driving part, not a fun to drive car when i compare it to any of the other cars in my garage.
The drive is smooth although. Got all the wheels changed last month to Apollo Acelere.
The second thing which doesn't please me is the Air conditioning system. It takes so much time to cool up the car, that sometimes i even reach my destination and the car is still hot (talking about short trips). It is something just not made for Delhi summers.
Else everything works flawless on the car.
The main thing which makes me drive this car is the ICE (a 12" JBL Sub) hehehe.
All in all still happy with the car, but i would rate it at the bottom as compared to the others i have.
Usually this car is driven by me or my sis and the average running depends on who takes the car, if its me then its about 20-30 kms a day and if its my sister then about 75-80 kms a day.

There is a big confusion in my mind as to which car should i keep and which one should i sell off.

Then comes up the next part, rather the next confusion.

After getting done with the old car, which new car should i opt for ? Buy a petrol or a diesel ?

There are a few options which i have in mind.

Starting with, the new Swift Diesel VDi. Its a great car for sure. Had taken test drive too, was pleased with the way the car runs.
But i already have a Swift Vxi , so practically i'll be buying the same car but with a diesel engine which doesn't excite me much. I mean i just don't get a new car feel while sitting in a swift vdi, every single thing is just the same.

Next comes the Ford Figo diesel.
I had a smile on my face after i test drove it.
The TDCi has no lag, its a fun to drive car, happy with the way it handles and when it comes to the price its a total Value for money car. Well theres a lot already talked about the car on other threads so there is nothing much to say.

Also visited the VW showroom for the Polo, the car indeed is a killer on looks, the inside too gives a nice feel over all.
Also did a test drive
the car is a bit noisy thats what i felt.
I did a back to back test drive for the figo and the polo and some how i liked the figo drive above the polo.
No doubt the interiors and finish of the car is best in class but the price of the car says itself if you want VFM go and take the figo.
Although had even done a test drive for the petrol at the time of buying the new swift and finally opted for the swift. Thats a different story altogether.

The i-gen i20 is just too over priced. The punto is a great looking car but what puts me off is the TATA name attached to it and others at home are not keen on even having a look at it.
Had also thought about the fabia , but the experience i had at the showroom (the one at moti nagar) pissed me off.
there was no one to entertain me, i had to wait for about 15 mins for someone to attend me.
When i asked the guy to tell me more about the car, he replied " sir khud dekh lo aapke aage hi hai car".
Then i already have heard a lot about the skoda after sales, so the fabia is not something i am looking for.

I don't find any other options for myself.
So experts please guide me and clear my confusion, What should i sell off and What should i Buy?

All suggestions are welcomed and correct me if i am wrong anywhere in judging the cars.

Thank you.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:15   #210
Senior - BHPian

Actually the only replacement for Swift is the Ford Figo Diesel Titanium. There is a dedicated thread to the Swift vs Figo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...swift-zxi.html

I would replace the Swift as that seems to be the car that has accumulated the most kilometers. I today's scenario a diesel would be advantageous.

Last edited by Aroy : 27th April 2012 at 09:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks