Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 19:29   #316
BHPian

If you are going for red then get the mirrors painted with white and you can remove the side decals and do a white Abarth decal as done by hemantanand
parimal_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 17:23   #317
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
My Swift ZDi booking stands cancelled. T
On the Punto front, just minutes ago I had a chat with Mr.Praveen, the helpful team-lead at Prerana motors. After paying the token advance (which is to block my car), I will be having a rather long wait till this month end to try to arrange some more $$ for the downpayment, so that the loan amount can be reduced as much as possible. As of now, tentative delivery date looks like the first half of october and the red rocket will sit in the stockyard waiting till then. Not a problem, since I know my car will be safe and sound with these guys .
Did you by any chance ask them whats the earliest they could've got the ZDi ? I ask, since you were first in the priority list. Good news on the Punto front, Punto in red looks superb!

If the stickers are that bad, you'd do better to get rid of them yourself than to allow a someone to do an incomplete job
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 21:44   #318
Team-BHP Support

I went to Prerana motors today at around 12.30. Mr. Praveen had arranged for a Punto itself to take my friend and myself to the stockyard to have a look at the 3 Red Punto Sport(s) and decide one for myself. As soon as I entered the office, Mr. Praveen guided me to a sales advisor who was assigned to take me to the yard, and we were off in 15 minutes. No unncesessary waiting, no questions asked.

If anyone needs to see how a perfect set of dealership staff needs to function, please visit Prerana motors. I am yet to see this level of punctuality and perfection from any other brand in my experience. I had a list of demands from my end, to which they were so open about. Praveen had mailed me all the VIN numbers of the Punto Sports a few days back. I had told him that I wanted to choose one among the 3 after doing my own PDI. It is extremely kind of them to take me to their yard and allow me to waste 1 full day of their staff in attending to my queries and requests at the yard. My friend and I ended up doing 3 PDIs for the 3 puntos and Suhas the sales advisor was quite helpful during the PDIs. I have finally shortlisted one for myself and have made the token advance payment towards them, to block this car for delivery sometime next month.

A big, big thank you to Praveen, Suhas, Karthik and all other Prerana motors' staff who were involved in making this booking happen at Prerana motors, again (for me)! It is guys like you whom Fiat needs if they are to improve their standing in the sales charts. Special mention to Mr. Praveen here, who has been tracking my visits, arranging my test drives and PDI, and providing me whatever information I asked him for.

Now let us get down to the PDI itself. I'm sure a PDI cannot be a PDI without some pictures. Here they are:

2 of the Puntos were brought out into the open (pics below) initially. I was a bit spoilt for choice, because I have never before done multiple PDIs for choosing 1 vehicle. This however made things a lot easier when I had to check how a particular panel gap was in another piece, or whether the door shutting sound was similar or not, to name a few examples.

My friend (who incidentally owns a Red Palio 1.6) would obviously have hawk eyes to spot things on the red shade which was so familiar to him now. Coupled with my black car ownership experience, we scanned every molecule of the 2 cars to find surface irregularities, panel gaps, paint blemishes, scratches or dents.

I found 2 very small issues which any prospective buyer could have got fixed. Car 1 (to the right side on these pics) had a bunch of minor scratches above the left rear door on the roof (just 3-4 in number). These were so minor that they will disappear with rubbing solution for sure, I couldn't even capture them on camera! I was a bit over-pessimistic and went to car no.2. Car no.2 passed everything, but the sport sticker on the back was peeling off in a corner. The SA assured me that they would buy it as a spare part and replace the decal for me, but when I had the third and lonely Punto waiting for me 15 metres away, I chose the easier option instead. The pictures below are of Cars no.1 and 2. I didn't choose either of these. Hope they find good owners soon!

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0149.jpg

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0150.jpg

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0151.jpg

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0152.jpg

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0153.jpg

Can you observe closely? The "Sport" decal is actually pasted crooked on Car no.2 (compare to crease on bootlid to check crookedness)!! Fiat, please learn some QC checks before you allow such visible blemishes to go out of the factory!!
Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0154.jpg

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0155.jpg

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0156.jpg

The pics below are of my own Punto Sport (car no.3), which I have shortlisted for myself. After finding no visible faults on the body lines, we moved in to check the interiors, the electricals, features, and every possible switch or moving part for working condition. This car passed everything and obviously, I didn't feel the need to go back to Car no.s 1 or 2. I have finally chosen Car no.3 from the lot. After returning to the showroom, I made a token advance payment of 10k to block this Punto for myself. Once I arrange the vitamin M, delivery should happen by the first half of next month, hopefully.

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0158.jpg

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0159.jpg

I didn't quite like the hanging exhaust. Aftermarket jobs look better than this, but anyway, I don't have a choice; never mind.
Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0160.jpg

Front views: If Ferrari ever designed a hatchback, this is what it would look like!
Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0161.jpg

The Jet eagerly awaits the entry of this red rocket hatch at home!
Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0162.jpg

Only 15 km done, and the H mark is still present. All safe!
Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0163.jpg

One glaring error by Fiat needs to be pointed out and blasted left, right and centre! I opened the spare wheel cover to find what was the spare wheel size. It wasn't an alloy (shock no.1) and shocker of shockers, the spare tyre size was not the 195/60 R15 which the Sport is shod with. It was a 165/80R14 (shock no.2) . Check out the picture attached below.

Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-dsc_0157.jpg

I initially thought it was just my car which had this wrong spare tyre size. After checking with the other 2 Punto Sport(s) there, I found they also had this smaller 165/80R14 spare tyre. Now comes shock no.3. I check out a 75HP Punto Emotion which was standing nearby, and that has 195/60R15s for the spare tyre! I can't for the life of me, fathom how a customer paying 8.6L gets a 165/80R14 spare tyre while a customer paying 8.1L for the 75HP Emotion gets 195/60R15 on all 5 tyres! I will be changing all 5 tyres to Michelin Primacy LC 195/60R15s on delivery day, so it may not matter much to me anyway, but that's a different issue.

Fiat better have an answer for this glitch, and I would like to escalate such idiotic moves to the higher management (just composing the mail now). What kind of dumb nitwits form such policies? Kick them out right now! If you cannot give me a full sized spare wheel, don't give it to the guy who bought a cheaper variant than me. As simple as that.

Anyway, aside from this small glitch that I observed in Punto Sport(s), the PDI went off really well and the whole experience was pleasant. We had to brave a lot of traffic jams while making our way back to the showroom. I have officially booked my Punto Sport now. All I can say is that the T-Jet got a well deserved garage mate. More updates to flow when I do the second PDI prior to delivery day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Did you by any chance ask them whats the earliest they could've got the ZDi ? I ask, since you were first in the priority list. Good news on the Punto front, Punto in red looks superb!

If the stickers are that bad, you'd do better to get rid of them yourself than to allow a someone to do an incomplete job
I gave them a last shot to let me have the Swift ZDi in blue. They continued to give me the same vague "I don't know for sure" kind of answers. I asked for an approximate delivery date and they said "probably" in December or January at best. That just about did it for me. I have given them 7 months already, and don't want to keep playing their dirty politics and hide and seek games any longer.

The stickers are a sore sight on the sides man. I somewhat like the rear decal though. Let me see how many days I can survive without vandalism. I might order black Abarth stickers and replace these side strips with Abarth side decals which are lower on the doors, right above the running board. A DIY-Black roof is also on the anvil to give it the look of a Panorama sunroof *lol*. All these are Castles in the air until next month's delivery day. Counting down the days now eagerly!

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th September 2012 at 22:13.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 22:21   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have finally shortlisted one for myself and have made the token advance payment towards them, to block this car for delivery sometime next month.
Ye hui na bat, great stuff Karthik.
The red looks smashing , but somehow i don't like the sports sticker on the hatch door, as i think its slightly misaligned, you might wanna crosscheck that.
Has FIAT gone mad, to removed 5th alloy from their top of the line model and put those polio chap ( 165-80-14) tyre as spare and that too JK where as the car had apollo, or thats packaging error

See if the you can get that changed.

Great man, get the car ASAP .

CONGRATS .

Cheers

Last edited by Schoudhury : 15th September 2012 at 22:23.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 22:23   #320
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Karthik!

That spare wheel mismatch is indeed puzzling & gets more complicated when the 75 comes with full size spare wheel with alloy.

And yes, what is the H on the odo for?

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 22:39   #321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Ye hui na bat, great stuff Karthik.
The red looks smashing , but somehow i don't like the sports sticker on the hatch door, as i think its slightly misaligned, you might wanna crosscheck that.
Slightly crooked here also, you're right. Car no.2 had the most crooked paste job. Mine is somewhat better though. I'll see if they can get me a new decal and paste it straight this time. Don't these people know how to paste stickers straight? Even a 5 year old school kid can do it properly if given a ruler or inch tape!

Quote:
Has FIAT gone mad, to removed 5th alloy from their top of the line model and put those polio chap ( 165-80-14) tyre as spare and that too JK where as the car had apollo, or thats packaging error

See if the you can get that changed.
Thanks supriyo! The spare wheel is going away for sure. I will get Michelin Primacy LC 195/60R15s for all 5 tyres after delivery. Let me see if I can negotiate with the showroom to give me the 195/60R15 on spare wheel with an extra alloy wheel for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Congratulations Karthik!

That spare wheel mismatch is indeed puzzling & gets more complicated when the 75 comes with full size spare wheel with alloy.

And yes, what is the H on the odo for?

Thanks
Yeah, this is a glaring omission on the part of Fiat. Sadistically speaking, I would sincerely like a proper justification on why a cheaper model is getting something I am not getting on mine . I don't care about whether I am not getting it or not, but the cheaper variant shouldn't *lol*.

The H on the odometer is now a famous issue on modern Fiats. If the dealer resets the odometer to 0 (can be done only once), the H will vanish from the odometer. Or else, if the car does 200km, the H will vanish automatically. The presence of a H is reassuring because I am now sure

1. The dealer hasn't tampered with the odometer after doing any running
2. It hasn't been used as a test drive vehicle with such a low mileage.

Anyway, Prerana motors is a very ethical dealer and they have their own badged TD vehicles for all variants of Punto and Linea, so I don't doubt them doing any mischief. The H is a reassuring sign though, as always.

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th September 2012 at 22:40.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 10:34   #322
BHPian

Quote:

The spare wheel is going away for sure. I will get Michelin Primacy LC 195/60R15s for all 5 tyres after delivery. Let me see if I can negotiate with the showroom to give me the 195/60R15 on spare wheel with an extra alloy wheel for free!
Yeah, this is a glaring omission on the part of Fiat. Sadistically speaking, I would sincerely like a proper justification on why a cheaper model is getting something I am not getting on mine . I don't care about whether I am not getting it or not, but the cheaper variant shouldn't *lol*.
Congrats KarthikK, loved to see the new pictures of your red stead. The stepany given to you is a trade off, even my GP 90 has a 190/60/R15
specced non alloy though. However, I am very much sure you would love to drive her and will never ever regret your decision.

Primacy LC ? any specific reason you are looking for them specially - I mean comfort in mind? The company suspension setup is good enough and shall offer you really good ride quality and handling - I changed my apollo acceleres with Pirelli 6000s and man now the car drives amazingly smooth and in wet conditions I have taken turns at 150 odd just to try them and they are super - no understerring or tail wagging. Try some nice sport tyres. Just a suggestion and you will be smiling when the traffic is struggling in the rains and you are schuming through . But do get rid off AAs they are horrendous - too noisy and wear out soon.

OT: I recently saw a vento running on a small specced stepany wheel, is this being a regular practice now for the car companies?

Last edited by scofield : 16th September 2012 at 10:36.
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 10:34   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I went to Prerana motors today at around 12.30. Mr. Praveen had arranged for a Punto itself to take my friend and myself to the stockyard to have a look at the 3 Red Punto Sport(s) and decide one for myself. As soon as I entered the office, Mr. Praveen guided me to a sales advisor who was assigned to take me to the yard, and we were off in 15 minutes. No unncesessary waiting, no questions asked.

If anyone needs to see how a perfect set of dealership staff needs to function, please visit Prerana motors. I am yet to see this level of punctuality and perfection from any other brand in my experience. I had a list of demands from my end, to which they were so open about. Praveen had mailed me all the VIN numbers of the Punto Sports a few days back. I had told him that I wanted to choose one among the 3 after doing my own PDI. It is extremely kind of them to take me to their yard and allow me to waste 1 full day of their staff in attending to my queries and requests at the yard. My friend and I ended up doing 3 PDIs for the 3 puntos and Suhas the sales advisor was quite helpful during the PDIs. I have finally shortlisted one for myself and have made the token advance payment towards them, to block this car for delivery sometime next month.

A big, big thank you to Praveen, Suhas, Karthik and all other Prerana motors' staff who were involved in making this booking happen at Prerana motors, again (for me)! It is guys like you whom Fiat needs if they are to improve their standing in the sales charts. Special mention to Mr. Praveen here, who has been tracking my visits, arranging my test drives and PDI, and providing me whatever information I asked him for.
Firstly congrats on booking the car . Let the tribe increase.

You are spot on with Mr. Praveen. Suhas, Karthik, Karthik SP everybody there is helpful. So the introduction to Mr. Praveen did not go waste .

Was out of town, else would have definitely joined in for the PDI.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 10:47   #324
BHPian

Congrats Karthik on the booking the affordable Ferrari!!

Even I am dangling between a Punto 90 and i20 CRDi as my next car. I have taken a TD of the 75 version and amazed at the dynamics since I am upgrading from a HPS car.

Amazing PDI shots. These Prerana chaps seem to be the best TATA-FIAT dealers in Bangalore.

Its a real stupid act by FIAT to show cost cutting at this stage when sales are at an all time low by not providing the alloy and tyre size of the stock size.

The only thing I miss from the current GP90 is the choice of dark colors like the Tuscan Wine, Dark Grey. Just hope this limited "Sport" version is off the line soon and choice of premium colors are available.

I will closely observe your forthcoming posts and initial ownership experience.

Cheers
srinath34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 11:27   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Congrats KarthikK, loved to see the new pictures of your red stead. The stepany given to you is a trade off, even my GP 90 has a 190/60/R15
specced non alloy though. However, I am very much sure you would love to drive her and will never ever regret your decision.
Thanks Scofield! your comments have helped me throughout the decision stage. I will take some PM help from you during the RD box setup which I plan to do after the 5k km running in is completed.

Quote:
Primacy LC ? any specific reason you are looking for them specially - I mean comfort in mind? The company suspension setup is good enough and shall offer you really good ride quality and handling - I changed my apollo acceleres with Pirelli 6000s and man now the car drives amazingly smooth and in wet conditions I have taken turns at 150 odd just to try them and they are super - no understerring or tail wagging. Try some nice sport tyres.
Looking at Primacy LC mainly because of the noiselessness and supreme ride comfort with Michelins. Not to mention, the grip levels are pretty amazing too with the soft michelins.

How are the Pirelli 6000s in comparison to PrimacyLC (pricewise and performance-wise)?? I'm kind of on a shoestring budget after delivery, so the PrimacyLC (upgrade cost of 15k for 5 tyres) is about the max that I can afford during delivery time. Anything more has to wait for another month or two.

Quote:
OT: I recently saw a vento running on a small specced stepany wheel, is this being a regular practice now for the car companies?
Stupidity really. I wouldn't mind if they gave me a steel wheel as stepney. All I want is the same size tyre as spare. Won't a smaller tyre size cause a mismatch in ride height and result in bouncy ride? Why the cost cutting here, I fail to understand. The difference in cost between a 195/60R15 and 165/80R14 should be a max of 400-500 Rs for 1 tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Firstly congrats on booking the car . Let the tribe increase.

You are spot on with Mr. Praveen. Suhas, Karthik, Karthik SP everybody there is helpful. So the introduction to Mr. Praveen did not go waste .

Was out of town, else would have definitely joined in for the PDI.
All thanks to you nkrishnap for putting me onto him, I was able to contact Praveen and he was in touch with me throughout this period. I have not completed my full PDI yet . Yesterday's PDI was somewhat unplanned and I decided to just take a look at all 3 cars; this was only phase 1 basic PDI to choose 1 among the 3 cars. The elaborate phase 2 PDI with team-bhp checklist will be done when it comes to Prerana showroom or else we'll go to the yard again. I'll PM you when that happens, and will definitely need your help in pointing out any irregularities requiring adjustments / rectifications. I am booking an appointment for one of your October saturdays now itself *lol*, keep yourself free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Congrats Karthik on the booking the affordable Ferrari!!

Even I am dangling between a Punto 90 and i20 CRDi as my next car. I have taken a TD of the 75 version and amazed at the dynamics since I am upgrading from a HPS car.

Amazing PDI shots. These Prerana chaps seem to be the best TATA-FIAT dealers in Bangalore.

Its a real stupid act by FIAT to show cost cutting at this stage when sales are at an all time low by not providing the alloy and tyre size of the stock size.

The only thing I miss from the current GP90 is the choice of dark colors like the Tuscan Wine, Dark Grey. Just hope this limited "Sport" version is off the line soon and choice of premium colors are available.

I will closely observe your forthcoming posts and initial ownership experience.

Cheers
Thanks srinath34. It is really a fantastic car, very engaging to drive. I agree with you on the limited color choices available now. I wanted Red in plain color too, and there is no guarantee on when this limited edition will get over. Hopefully they give buyers the option of at least being able to choose the older Emotion 90HP trim if they don't like fancy decals. These stickering jobs may not be to everyone's taste, to be quite honest.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th September 2012 at 11:32.
Old 16th September 2012, 14:28   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I gave them a last shot to let me have the Swift ZDi in blue. They continued to give me the same vague "I don't know for sure" kind of answers. I asked for an approximate delivery date and they said "probably" in December or January at best. That just about did it for me. I have given them 7 months already, and don't want to keep playing their dirty politics and hide and seek games any longer.

The stickers are a sore sight on the sides man. I somewhat like the rear decal though. Let me see how many days I can survive without vandalism. I might order black Abarth stickers and replace these side strips with Abarth side decals which are lower on the doors, right above the running board. A DIY-Black roof is also on the anvil to give it the look of a Panorama sunroof *lol*. All these are Castles in the air until next month's delivery day. Counting down the days now eagerly!
Whoa! First in priority list, but you'll have to wait for another 4-5 months to get delivery ? Great! A perfect statement to show what happens at the dealership. Good thing you cancelled it and saved yourself from a lot of headache.

Even i like the sport decal at the back (does it still look slightly crooked to you, or is it just me) the one's at the side are not so great. Black vinyl on the roof should look good, but I feel it looks best on a white car.

About the Primacy LC, i've heard they have a rather soft sidewall, why don't you look at CPC 2? I'm using them and i'm very happy. Apollo's are a very decent OEM tyre, only the noise is on the higher side.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 14:53   #327
Senior - BHPian

Parimal can you provide the link to the thread/post by hemantanand wherein he has posted pictures of his Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
If you are going for red then get the mirrors painted with white and you can remove the side decals and do a white Abarth decal as done by hemantanand
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 23:32   #328
BHPian

Sir jee, find the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...2-emotion.html
parimal_g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 23:54   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Whoa! First in priority list, but you'll have to wait for another 4-5 months to get delivery ? Great! A perfect statement to show what happens at the dealership. Good thing you cancelled it and saved yourself from a lot of headache.
Yeah. They didn't bother much about losing me from the priority list anyway. I wasn't too keen on the current batches of Swifts which will come out now. They will be made by trainees and newbies who have just replaced the older workers at the factory. Better to buy products from the competition now I think .

Quote:
Even i like the sport decal at the back (does it still look slightly crooked to you, or is it just me) the one's at the side are not so great. Black vinyl on the roof should look good, but I feel it looks best on a white car.
The sport decal I'll ask them to replace and stick it straight in my presence. The side strips look bad. About the black roof, I'll try it out just to see how it looks. If it can carry it off, I'll retain it, or else I'll strip the vinyls after a few months.
Here's a sample of how it might look (not bad in my opinion). Sorry for going slightly OT.
Upgrading from Swift. Which Hatch?-2005fiatgrandepuntofrontview588x441.jpg

Quote:
About the Primacy LC, i've heard they have a rather soft sidewall, why don't you look at CPC 2? I'm using them and i'm very happy. Apollo's are a very decent OEM tyre, only the noise is on the higher side.
Yeah, the PrimacyLC suffers from that common complaint. Since this car will be used only on city roads, I believe the chance of sidewall cracking due to sudden potholes or bumps is not much. Noise is one of the primary reasons I was looking at an upgrade to Michelins. Noise and comfort-wise, I think they are the best bet. How is the noise level and grip on CPC2? I can decide between these 2 when I go for the upgrade to Nikhil's shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Hemanth's is very tastefully done, and in fact is something like your car. Red on white looks brilliant and closest to the European spec Abarth Punto.

For my car, I don't somehow like the idea of white decals on red. They appear too bright. What I might do is a black 'Abarth' sticker on the sides and get glossy black vinyls on the roof to give it the look of a panoramic sunroof which is on the Abarth EsseEsse European Puntos. I'll get this done into a Red+Black color combo.

I was trying to setup the configurator on the UK website of Abarth. Here it is :
http://www.abarthcars.co.uk/uk/CMSuk...arConfig=GPEvo

Choosing exterior color : Red, stickers : black, Skydome : black
That will give a fair idea of what my car will look like. Of course, not as good looking as the Abarth Evo, but I'll try to mimic this Red+Black design as much as possible.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th September 2012 at 00:01.
Old 17th September 2012, 08:22   #330
Senior - BHPian

Attachment 986152

That new suspension strut sure makes this looks like an eyesore. It looks as if the car is sitting on stilts. Even the sticker has not been fixed straight.

So much for Fiat QC. I thought it should have improved. I guess it was only luck for the T Jet owners who got well put together interiors. No perfect but better than anthing else apart from the 500 that Fiat India sells. It will be nice to do a Fiat 500 QC comparision with a product out of Fiat India.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed