Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:27   #1
BHPian

Timing belt snaps, engine damaged. Who is responsible?

I'm not sure if I can post this here. If not, mods kindly help. About a month ago, my Getz broke down in the middle of the highway, just like that. It went dead, I cranked a couple of times, it would only whine. It was a late sunday evening between Hassan & Mysore, I called Hyundai Hassan, but no response. I then called Hyundai Mysore & a tow truck was arranged. He managed to reach HN pura (80km from Mysore) by 11 pm. Me & wifey had to sit at the rear of our car to be towed to Mysore.

The next morning, the service engineer said it could be the timing belt & probably the valves etc. The estimate given was around 15k. 15 days later, I take delivery of my car. The bill, a whopping 23k including towing charges of 6.4k

I have always got my car serviced at Trident Hyundai, Bangalore, every 10k kms witout fail. Obviously they have the service record with them. Then, How did they miss out on the scheduled timing belt change at 80k kms ?
I have all the bills & even the service advisor's comment sheet at the 80k service which says " timing belt to be replaced, no stock ". They have overlooked this three times after, even the 1.1k kms service which was done only in late january.

My question is, Can I hold them responsible for this & claim damages ?

Luckily it all happened in my homestate. What if this had happened during our drive to Ladakh last year ?
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Trident Hyundai goofs Up !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Really sorry to hear this, but unfortunately you cant do much to get compensated or fix responsibility. From their side they have clearly mentioned it in the post service advice/bill etc and will blame it on the owner for not following up :(

Maybe people with better idea of consumer court system can comment further.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
From their side they have clearly mentioned it in the post service advice/bill etc and will blame it on the owner for not following up :(
Exactly. How did you also overlooked it for so many KMs after 80K?
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have always got my car serviced at Trident Hyundai, Bangalore, every 10k kms witout fail. Obviously they have the service record with them. Then, How did they miss out on the scheduled timing belt change at 80k kms ?
I have all the bills & even the service advisor's comment sheet at the 80k service which says " timing belt to be replaced, no stock ". They have overlooked this three times after, even the 1.1k kms service which was done only in late january.

Luckily it all happened in my homestate. What if this had happened during our drive to Ladakh last year ?
Well, the SAs just have the responsibility of informing whatever is necessary.

All paid services are ultimately the responsibility of the owner w.r.t. the jobs carried out.

Morally, he is wrong in not having followed up. They have so many cars on their mind, they hardly follow up themselves and ask the owner about the previous servicing history etc.

Maruti and Honda A.S.S. have a system where the moment a car comes for servicing, they enter the reg. no. into their system and check for prior history; hence everything is out in black-and-white. Doesn't Trident have such a system.

At the end of it all, Trident would not actually obliged to ensure all repairs are carried out for the corresponding kms; the onus lies on the customer.

My suggestion, when you take your car for servicing, take the 2 most recent service records. It helps in 2 ways - the SA can't ask you to change parts unnecessarily and you know exactly what was changed and when and what is to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Maybe people with better idea of consumer court system can comment further.
Had chandan asked them to do it and they hadn't, then Trident is liable. I doubt there is a case here.
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ok, as I understand is they had no stock at the time of the 80K service. What happened at the 90K, 1lk and 1.1lk services?? Did you not ask for the timing belts to be changed then??
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Chandan, I doubt if Trident will own up to it, as they have advised, it would be your prerogative to follow up and get the belts changed, sad part is they seem to have overlooked history of the vehicle in taking up subsequent services.
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Exactly. How did you also overlooked it for so many KMs after 80K?
Well Mahesh, I'm a humble driver of the new gen cars not knowing much technically. I depend on the ASC for a trouble free & reliable car. I think I should lookup more into this section from now on

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Well, the SAs just have the responsibility of informing whatever is necessary.
They donot inform, they just change parts according to their service schedule. They used to do so until the 80k service.

All paid services are ultimately the responsibility of the owner w.r.t. the jobs carried out.

Morally, he is wrong in not having followed up. They have so many cars on their mind, they hardly follow up themselves and ask the owner about the previous servicing history etc.

Maruti and Honda A.S.S. have a system where the moment a car comes for servicing, they enter the reg. no. into their system and check for prior history; hence everything is out in black-and-white. Doesn't Trident have such a system.

Yes they do. And they knew it at 90k also, because after this is when I drove to ladakh & I had given clear instructions to change whatever is necessary.

At the end of it all, Trident would not actually obliged to ensure all repairs are carried out for the corresponding kms; the onus lies on the customer.

My suggestion, when you take your car for servicing, take the 2 most recent service records. It helps in 2 ways - the SA can't ask you to change parts unnecessarily and you know exactly what was changed and when and what is to be changed.
Should have done that Thanks anyways.

Had chandan asked them to do it and they hadn't, then Trident is liable. I doubt there is a case here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Ok, as I understand is they had no stock at the time of the 80K service. What happened at the 90K, 1lk and 1.1lk services?? Did you not ask for the timing belts to be changed then??
Well, they did not inform me. I just had a look at the service advisor's comment sheet after this incident & realized they had overlooked it. Had they informed me then, i surely would have asked them to change at 90k.
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a lesson to all motorists to stop having blind faith in A.S.S. and start getting into each line item of your service bill. Truth be told I would never have seen something like that. As much as I sympathise, I guess the onus really is on us as car owners to ensure that parts are changed on schedule.
Feel bad for you, man. 23K!
Old 4th May 2011, 07:09   #9
BHPian

@Chandan - if you agree with the comments - the thread topic is misleading. I'm just out of my free service schedule on my car. Lesson learnt - I'm sorry about the incident on highway.

Thanks for sharing your service experience.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Chandan,

Sorry to hear about the incident. The golden truth you must understand about service centers is that unless you, the owner, tells them what to do, they would simply proceed the robotic way! This is true for all car service centers. Its up to us to make a list of what needs to be done and update the service advisor when sending the vehicle for service.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This is a lesson to all motorists to stop having blind faith in A.S.S. and start getting into each line item of your service bill. Truth be told I would never have seen something like that. As much as I sympathise, I guess the onus really is on us as car owners to ensure that parts are changed on schedule.
Feel bad for you, man. 23K!
Yes, a simple lesson learnt the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
@Chandan - if you agree with the comments - the thread topic is misleading. I'm just out of my free service schedule on my car. Lesson learnt - I'm sorry about the incident on highway.

Thanks for sharing your service experience.
I do agree with the comments now & as much as I have goofed up, they have too. Anyways, a very important lesson learnt. On the positive side, I have a car with brand new timing belt, tensioner assembly, thermostat, all gaskets, exhaust valve, intake valve & water pump ( changed the pump on the advise of an ex Hyundai technician) + clutch (changed at 1.1l km). I think i can go on with this car for a few more years
Old 4th May 2011, 11:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

100% they goofed up also but they will not admit to it. I have gone through my rounds with Hyundai and its one of the worst i have seen in my lifetime
Old 4th May 2011, 12:29   #13
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2011 at 16:06.
raihan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th May 2011, 18:41   #14
Team-BHP Support

Re: Timing belt snaps, engine damaged. Who is responsible?

I just noticed, the title includes "engine damaged".

What damage did the engine suffer?

All the replacements you mentioned were part of (already due) routine servicing or they had to be done because the timing belt snapped?
Old 4th May 2011, 19:34   #15
BANNED

Re: Timing belt snaps, engine damaged. Who is responsible?

Quote:
Well Mahesh, I'm a humble driver of the new gen cars not knowing much technically. I depend on the ASC for a trouble free & reliable car. I think I should lookup more into this section from now on

Well, they did not inform me. I just had a look at the service advisor's comment sheet after this incident & realized they had overlooked it. Had they informed me then, i surely would have asked them to change at 90k.

Well you may have a chance with a consumer forum. Every owner is not expected to be an expert mechanic to realize the importance of a change that was skipped by the A.S.S. They had a responsibility of proactively following up which they shrugged. Besides the bill cost you should try and claim extra damages for the holiday spoiled.

--Rahul

Last edited by Ragul : 4th May 2011 at 19:35.

Most Viewed