Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 19:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Timing belt snaps, engine damaged. Who is responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I just noticed, the title includes "engine damaged".

What damage did the engine suffer?

All the replacements you mentioned were part of (already due) routine servicing or they had to be done because the timing belt snapped?
The moment the timing belt snaps, the chances of valves, pistons, rings etc getting damaged are very high(90%). Experts here can explain better. I was shocked to know this. The only routine thing to be done was change the timing belt at 80k km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Well you may have a chance with a consumer forum. Every owner is not expected to be an expert mechanic to realize the importance of a change that was skipped by the A.S.S. They had a responsibility of proactively following up which they shrugged. Besides the bill cost you should try and claim extra damages for the holiday spoiled.

--Rahul
I wish I could, but don't think it's worth all the effort, knowing how well the system works in our country. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by chandan : 4th May 2011 at 19:55.
Old 4th May 2011, 20:14   #17
BHPian

Sorry to hear that. But in my opinion its cheap, as Mahindra Logan's costs a whooping Rs. 1 lakhs.
Old 4th May 2011, 20:22   #18
BHPian

6.3K for towing charges!! Is that a standard rate? Seems a bit too high.
Old 4th May 2011, 20:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I just noticed, the title includes "engine damaged".

What damage did the engine suffer?

All the replacements you mentioned were part of (already due) routine servicing or they had to be done because the timing belt snapped?
Snapping of Timing belt can damage Valves, Camshaft and other engine parts seriously. Mostly in cases where Timing belt breaks a complete head job with replacement of Valves etc is required. My advice is never take chances with Timing belt replacement, more so if the car is out of warranty.

I find the towing charges too much, How much distance was the car towed?

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th May 2011 at 20:28.
Old 4th May 2011, 20:32   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
I wish I could, but don't think it's worth all the effort, knowing how well the system works in our country. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

You are not dealing with corrupt policemen or a powerful politician that could get you in trouble. I would say try and be a part of the change and get some practice in moving things for your rights. Consumer forums are not like an anti-people and power establishment built to oppress the common man.

--Ragul
Old 4th May 2011, 21:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
The moment the timing belt snaps, the chances of valves, pistons, rings etc getting damaged are very high(90%). Experts here can explain better. I was shocked to know this. The only routine thing to be done was change the timing belt at 80k km.
Yes, but in your case, did it damage the related parts?. Well, if it is OK with you, could you please share the bill from Hyundai?.

16k for replacing some major parts sounds cheap, and I doubt it. Also, how different is the car after the work.
Old 4th May 2011, 21:04   #22
BHPian

theres definitely a chance of winning this case if u choose to go to consumer forum. im a lawyer and i would definitely suggest you do so.

you have to prove that there has been negligence on part of hyundai. which is very possible in this case. its their job to keep your car well serviced. you give the car in regularly for service.

if the timing belt was to be changed and was not changed on time by hyundai technicians. - theres been negligence on part of hyundai. therefore - good case
Old 4th May 2011, 21:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

For the cost incurred to bring it back on road, IMHO it is not worth considering Consummer Forum option. 23K is cheap to get a car back to operating condition. It could have been worse.

I think you should take it in your stride & move on..Having said that any such incident is not pleasant, it definately leaves a scar somewhere. But that you are going to keep the car for a while longer, it is advisable to move on
Old 4th May 2011, 21:43   #24
BHPian

Did you inform Hyundai about this forgetful dealer whose does not have systems in place to follow up customers who have been denied proper service due to stock unavailability?

I feel that you have also erred to an extent by not following up on what is stated on service report/bill, more so being a TBHPian.

God help the 1000s of other customers who probably don't know what a timing belt is!
Old 4th May 2011, 22:28   #25
Team-BHP Support

It is not your fault at all. You can go to consumer court, and charge them with negligence. You are getting all services done from Hyundai, and its their responsiblity. You are not even supposed to know what should be done at how many kms.
I suggest you write to hyundai, or try the consumer court route.
Old 4th May 2011, 22:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Sorry to hear that. But in my opinion its cheap, as Mahindra Logan's costs a whooping Rs. 1 lakhs.
Are you sure we're talking about the same problem here ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
6.3K for towing charges!! Is that a standard rate? Seems a bit too high.
Rs 40/km if it is outstation. In my case, I had to pay for 157km, from Mysore to HNpura & back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
You are not dealing with corrupt policemen or a powerful politician that could get you in trouble. I would say try and be a part of the change and get some practice in moving things for your rights. Consumer forums are not like an anti-people and power establishment built to oppress the common man.

--Ragul
Ragul, I do believe in some movements that are taking place for the good of the common man, but unfortunately everything takes some much time here that I ask myself, Is it worth the trouble ? I have been in a consumer court before & even won the case, but the compensation given did not match up to the number of trips I made to Bangalore & the time & money I spent. Thanks anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes, but in your case, did it damage the related parts?. Well, if it is OK with you, could you please share the bill from Hyundai?.

16k for replacing some major parts sounds cheap, and I doubt it. Also, how different is the car after the work.
I will post the details of the bill tommorow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
theres definitely a chance of winning this case if u choose to go to consumer forum. im a lawyer and i would definitely suggest you do so.

you have to prove that there has been negligence on part of hyundai. which is very possible in this case. its their job to keep your car well serviced. you give the car in regularly for service.

if the timing belt was to be changed and was not changed on time by hyundai technicians. - theres been negligence on part of hyundai. therefore - good case
Thanks & I too feel the same way, but as said earlier I'm wary about fighting it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Did you inform Hyundai about this forgetful dealer whose does not have systems in place to follow up customers who have been denied proper service due to stock unavailability?

I feel that you have also erred to an extent by not following up on what is stated on service report/bill, more so being a TBHPian.

God help the 1000s of other customers who probably don't know what a timing belt is!
I did speak with the service advisor who normally attends to my car & gave him a piece of my mind. He only bent down his head in shame & offered to do a full check up. I was in Bangalore only for a day & could not meet the Manager. I have mailed the service center as well as hyundai HO in Chennai, but no response till date.
Yes sir, I admit I have erred, specially being a tbhpian for six long years. But then, we all learn from our mistakes as well as from others, sometimes paying for it dearly
Old 4th May 2011, 22:51   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
For the cost incurred to bring it back on road, IMHO it is not worth considering Consummer Forum option. 23K is cheap to get a car back to operating condition. It could have been worse.

I think you should take it in your stride & move on..Having said that any such incident is not pleasant, it definately leaves a scar somewhere. But that you are going to keep the car for a while longer, it is advisable to move on
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It is not your fault at all. You can go to consumer court, and charge them with negligence. You are getting all services done from Hyundai, and its their responsiblity. You are not even supposed to know what should be done at how many kms.
I suggest you write to hyundai, or try the consumer court route.
I think one can claim much more than the cost of repair as damages for the mental agony and resulting unpleasant experiences. some extra moolah will restore a peaceful outlook and massage the mind into relaxation.

Besides its not about the 23k alone. Its also about making a point and forcing corrective action on the part of Hyundai.

--Ragul
Old 4th May 2011, 23:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

It is strange that discussion has run into 2 pages but neither thread starter has pointed out nor any one else ( including some senior BHPians ) have asked whether the car is petrol or diesel. It makes a world of difference between petrol and diesel when it comes to snapping of timing belt. In petrol cars, nothing happens when timing belt breaks. The car stalls. You put in a new belt and be on your way within an hour or two's job. But in case of a diesel car, any make, all the hell breaks loose. Because all diesel engines are interference types, i.e. piston tops and valves occupy same space at different times ( because of high compression of diesel engines ). So, when timing belt breaks in a diesel car, pistons and valves run into each other under great impact and it destroys upper half of the engine. sometimes, it even blows the entire engine -- con-rods bending and the worst case scenario being busted crankshaft.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
It is strange that discussion has run into 2 pages but neither thread starter has pointed out nor any one else ( including some senior BHPians ) have asked whether the car is petrol or diesel. It makes a world of difference between petrol and diesel when it comes to snapping of timing belt. In petrol cars, nothing happens when timing belt breaks. The car stalls. You put in a new belt and be on your way within an hour or two's job. But in case of a diesel car, any make, all the hell breaks loose..
You have got your facts wrong. Petrol engines can also be intereference engines, and I can say that many of the common petrol cars in our market will face severe engine damage if timing belt snaps including my car which is a Lancer.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
It makes a world of difference between petrol and diesel when it comes to snapping of timing belt. In petrol cars, nothing happens when timing belt breaks.
Err... you mean none of the petrol engines in the world is an interference engine?

Timing Belts: Is Your Engine an Interference Engine?.

Most Viewed