Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Concorde Motors delivered an old car

I think that you must be given a car which was used for TD or an accidental car which the dealer may have repaired.
You are entitled to replacement so try fighting it out with the higher authorities and if they don't give you proper compensation then try going to the consumer court. I'm sure you'll get justice even though the process might seem long and tiring. All the best
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Fatal Error. Did you not follow the team-bhp PDI list ? and should we have made use of the VIN Decode thread, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...cture-vin.html

Now that the damage is already done, I think the most sensible option would be, to try to get some monetary compensation from Concorde Motors and accept a written statement from them that it is a car manufactured in MAY 2010 was sold to you as a a car manufactured in DEC 2010,you might need it just in case some time in future.

Consumer court is a time consuming affair and I think we all have better things to do in life than to roam around courts. My 2 cents. No offense meant
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:45   #18
BHPian

Just inform this incident to the FIAT toll free number. And then just wait and watch! You'll be surprised to see that how fiat handles these serious issues!
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Just inform this incident to the FIAT toll free number. And then just wait and watch! You'll be surprised to see that how fiat handles these serious issues!
Pardon me, I am not quite sure how to interpret that. You didn't mean it to be a 'satire', did you?
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:27   #20
BHPian

Dint you check the RC when it was delivered to you. You have been using the vehicle for already 3 months. If your RC suggests the month is December and your VIN states otherwise, you can take a legal recourse and easily get a replacement. But if its the other way round, You have only yourself to blame for not having checked the details thoroughly when you took delivery of your car. I see the same point has been raised couple of times in the post but there has been no response to it.

While it was highly unethical on the dealers part to do this, One has to be careful enough on his/her front too. It your hard earned money after all.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:28   #21
BHPian

Anyway, it's been 4-5 days since I got the last response from Tata motors. So, I went ahead and raised the issue with Fiat also. They said they will respond in 3 days. We will have to wait and see how quick and well they respond. Meanwhile, thanks everyone for your support.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Dint you check the RC when it was delivered to you. You have been using the vehicle for already 3 months. If your RC suggests the month is December and your VIN states otherwise, you can take a legal recourse and easily get a replacement. But if its the other way round, You have only yourself to blame for not having checked the details thoroughly when you took delivery of your car. I see the same point has been raised couple of times in the post but there has been no response to it.

While it was highly unethical on the dealers part to do this, One has to be careful enough on his/her front too. It your hard earned money after all.
Another surprise: The RC hasn't yet arrived yet and when I checked with the dealer he said he will check with the RTO and get back to me. Last time I checked about a month after the delivery, he said it usually takes at least 45 days.

And yes, I did do an inspection. But the only thing I didn't do was checking the VIN number. Everything else looked fine. But now looking back, the only thing I missed out is all set to haunt me. It's obviously my stupid mistake that I chose to trust the dealer. I thought, since he already admitted it's an old vehicle (Dec 2010), I had no reason not to believe him. Well, obviously I was wrong.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:49   #23
BHPian

Prakash, This is serious issue.
Even if the car is on Company Lease, its coming from your hard earned money, and nothing other then a new car is accepted for this problem.

Please do the below on War Footing.

1) Collect the RC book, if required visit the RTO and do whatever is required to get the RC Book / Smart Card.
2) Hand over the car back to the showroom, making a written complain to them with copies sent to Tata and FIAT.

Following which wait for their response.

My two Cents on the problem.
This car might have been used as a Demo Car.
In these situations, most of the companies fix a MSP (Minimum Selling Price) and if any Sales X is able to sell at better price, he gets the difference amount or a major cut from the difference amount.

I am sure this must be the salesX plan of making Quick Bucks at your expense.
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:08   #24
BHPian

How come you have been driving around without a RC for so long !! Something is very very fishy. Do you have any papers at all that you signed earlier - say a form for registering the car in your name or something to that effect. One of these forms should have had the manufacturing date. Go back and check your records - Maybe the senior members can help you with what to look for. But having said that, I wish you dint miss reading over such information in all those forms too.

If you have any written material from the Sales Exec or the company about the Dec 2010 model - anything that admits to guilt from the company's end; have it safe. Else try to get one smartly - say an email from company's id or a taped phone conversation. Unless you don't have anything tying down the dealer to the mistake you are going no where with this problem. Register a complaint with Tata (am not sure if it would help) and raise hell. Start consulting your lawyer, the more you delay, the bleaker your chances of getting any resolution.

Last edited by SR-71 : 23rd May 2011 at 17:12.
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
How come you have been driving around without a RC for so long !! Something is very very fishy. Do you have any papers at all that you signed earlier - say a form for registering the car in your name or something to that effect. One of these forms should have had the manufacturing date. Go back and check your records - Maybe the senior members can help you with what to look for. But having said that, I wish you dint miss reading over such information in all those forms too.

If you have any written material from the Sales Exec or the company about the Dec 2010 model - anything that admits to guilt from the company's end; have it safe. Else try to get one smartly - say an email from company's id or a taped phone conversation. Unless you don't have anything tying down the dealer to the mistake you are going no where with this problem. Register a complaint with Tata (am not sure if it would help) and raise hell. Start consulting your lawyer, the more you delay, the bleaker your chances of getting any resolution.
When I checked with the sales exec today and he said it is taking longer than usual. In my case, it's exactly 3 months now. But it does take upto 90 days, he said. If anyone registered with KA51 can confirm this, it would immensely help. For now, I do have the tax payment receipt from the RTO, which is on my name.

I have checked all other documents and I don't find the manufactured month anywhere. Oh, by the way, I do have some recorded phone call, just in case, even though I doubt that being that useful. What I rely on, though, is an email confirmation from the sales exec that the vehicle was not being used for a test drive at all.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:10   #26
BHPian

Mine is KA 03 registered car and I got it within 3-4 days of taking home my car. I don't think it takes that long for the RC to be delivered. Something is definitely fishy.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:27   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Such things happen every day. That's precisely the reason we insist on checking the car - prior to registration - with the Team-BHP PDI checklist in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Aren't they supposed to get my consent if they are selling an old car?
They did, via the delivery note. The document you signed on says that the car is to your satisfaction.

I don't mean to paint a gloomy picture, but you don't have a case. And believe me, I regularly follow consumer court matters related to cars. Unless you have it in writing that they had promised you a December 2010 car, and you got otherwise, there is nothing the court will do. In the eyes of the law, a new car is one that has not been driven. And as long as you have no proof of the car being used in any way, again...you don't have a case. Remember, cars don't come with an expiry date. New means new, even if it's been standing in the stockyard for 6 months.

My suggestion : Just swallow the bitter pill and move on. You've bought a nice car, there's a lot you can do with her....irrespective of the month she was built in.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2011 at 20:28.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They did, via the delivery note. The document you signed on says that the car is to your satisfaction.
Just out of curiosity, what would have happened if I had somehow learned about the manufactured month at that time and refused to accept the car?

Quote:
In the eyes of the law, a new car is one that has not been driven. And as long as you have no proof of the car being used in any way, again...you don't have a case. Remember, cars don't come with an expiry date. New means new, even if it's been standing in the stockyard for 6 months.

My suggestion : Just swallow the bitter pill and move on. You've bought a nice car, there's a lot you can do with her....irrespective of the month she was built in.
Actually, new or 6 months old has never been a problem to me. I went for the 2010 car since I was getting some discounts. But the knowledge that it may (only may) have been used for demo purpose is disturbing me. But again, looking at the car or driving it, I just can't say it's been used. The exterior as well as inside look impeccable, except the bonnet with minor swirl marks, which are visible only in direct sunlight at an angle. The body surface elsewhere is spotless. The car returns very good mileage consistently. And no problems so far till 5,000 Kms.

If I am convinced that the car was not used for such purposes, I would gladly accept any monetary compensation (which they already offered, numbers not yet discussed) for the 6-7 months period. So, the biggest question is, is there a way I could find that? Fiat said they are already looking in to this and if they come back and promise me that the car was indeed new when I got it, can I trust them? I already got a confirmation from the Territory Sales Manager, Tata motors on this. But Concorde motors being a Tata company, I will be lot more comfortable if it comes from Fiat.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:27   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would have happened if I had somehow learned about the manufactured month at that time and refused to accept the car?
If you'd followed the Team-BHP PDI checklist, inspected the car and rejected it BEFORE delivery / registration, no one could force you to buy that said example.

Quote:
The exterior as well as inside look impeccable, except the bonnet with minor swirl marks, which are visible only in direct sunlight at an angle. The body surface elsewhere is spotless. The car returns very good mileage consistently. And no problems so far till 5,000 Kms.
Swirl marks are an unfortunate reality, even when buying a new Mercedes. The showroom dudes just do NOT know how to polish a car. BTW, you said it yourself. If the car is treating you well, why bother? Just revv up and be happy

Quote:
So, the biggest question is, is there a way I could find that?
Difficult to gauge after 3 months of ownership. Usually, at the showroom itself, a careful inspection (condition of tyres, seats etc.) can indicate whether the car was used for test-drives or not.

See, I don't agree with your approach of "guilty until proven innocent". You are happy with the car, the body line is clean, and there is nothing to indicate that it has been used as a demo vehicle. Then why be so suspicious? If at all you were to, then it should have been at the time of delivery. There's no point fretting over it right now.

Bottom line : Get over it. You've bought a nice car that's serving you well. Use the same energy and plan some roadtrips instead
Old 26th May 2011, 10:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
If you'd followed the Team-BHP PDI checklist, inspected the car and rejected it BEFORE delivery / registration, no one could force you to buy that said example.
True, I missed out my only chance. Instead chose to trust the sales exec.
Quote:
Bottom line : Get over it. You've bought a nice car that's serving you well. Use the same energy and plan some roadtrips instead
Thanks, GTO. I guess lack of action over the last 3 weeks is at blame for the confusion. After all, my last road-trip was more than 2 weeks ago and next one is still a week away

Now, I guess I will take it easy and will let it go if Fiat confirms that the car was not being used for test drive. They claim they have their ways to find out.

Most Viewed