Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 15:33   #1
BHPian

VW Vento: Service Experiences (every 15k km) across dealerships

Mods: I tried searching for a similar thread, didnt find any. If one is already existing, requesting to merge with that one

So my Vento TDI HL has done 13,800 KM on the ODO. The first service is very near, and if I go by my daily mileage, then I guess in another 15 days I would reach 15,000 KM on the ODO

So I called up the service centers to take an idea on how much time would te service take, how much would it cost etc etc

VolksWagen Downtown, Bangalore

I called them up: here is the conversation

Me (M): Hello Mam, my Vento diesel would soon be reaching 15,000 KM and I need to get the servicing done, so had some doubts and queries regarding the same, are you the right person to answer those?

Her (H): Yes sir, please tell me how can I help you?

M: First thing I wanted to find out is how much time would the first service of the vehicle take, if I book a prior appointment and come on a weekend, considering the weekend service rush etc etc

H: sir it would take 2-3 days

M: What? 2-3 days, sorry it seems you didnt get my question right, its just a regular first servicing there is no specific trouble

H: Yes sir it would take that much time, there are a lot of things to be checked

By this time I totally lost my patience and asked her to put me in touch with somebody who actually supervises the servicing, as 2-3 days is totally unaccepatble, they dont need to open / mount / unmount the engine. Moreover I had already waited 6 months for the delivery of the car, now wait another 3 days for the servicing

She connects the call to a service adviser, lets call him "S"

S: yes sir, how can I help you?

M: I need to get the first servicing done for my Diesel Vento, how much time would that take, the lady at the help desk just told me that it would take 2-3 days

S: No sir, You drop the car in the morning and we will give you by 6 pm

aaah! thats still better that 2-3 days

M: how much would it cost me, I am okay if you give me the approximate figure, I know the actual figure can vary a little bit

S: sir it would cost you approximately Rs 12,000/-

M: I need to get the seats cleaned as well, how much would that cost ?

S: Sir, that would cost you Rs 2,000/- plus taxes

M: hmmmm ok, will take an appointment and come sometime. Thansk for the Info

Bangalore Motors, Bangalore

Here is the conversation with Bangalore Motors:

Me (M): This is in reference to the first servicing of my Vento diesel, I had some queries can you help me out ?

Her (H): Sir, I would put you in touch with our service Manager Mr Girish, he would tell you all the things

Girish (G): Yes sir, how can I help u?

M: I wanted to find out is how much time would the first service of the vehicle take, if I book a prior appointment and come on a weekend, considering the weekend service rush etc etc

G: Sir that would take 4-5 hours depending upon what extra works we need to do in your car.

M: just the regular service, the 15,000 KM first service

G: sir that would take 5 hours

M: in case I go for getting the seats cleaned, as you already know the color of Vento's seats

G: sure you can go for that, the cleaning of interiors would take another 1.5-2 hours and it would cost you Rs 2,500/- plus taxes

M: How much would a regular first servicing of the vehicle would cost me ?

G: sir that should be approximately Rs 9,200/-

M: hmmmm will take an appointment and drop in sometime
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this clearly shows that Bangalore motors are more professional than the other service center, seems like they are cheaper as well. More after I get the servicing done

Now I have some doubts:

1) How come the amount is different for the first servicing at these two places?
2) for seat and interior cleaning shouldn't they charge the same amount?

How can there be different price tags attached to the company / authorized service centers ? There is definitely something fishy here, and the difference in cost is a lot.....
evilshantanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 15:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento service and service center feedbacks

Wouldn't the prices mentioned by them just a approximate one? When I require something to be done, I too call both the guys that you have mentioned and pick one that's suitable.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Wouldn't the prices mentioned by them just a approximate one? When I require something to be done, I too call both the guys that you have mentioned and pick one that's suitable.
I agree with you on the approximation part, but IMHO it should vary by 3K..
Old 12th July 2011, 16:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Variations apart, isnt the amount a bit high for 1st service? Considering it would just be oil/ filter change and nothing much.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Variations apart, isnt the amount a bit high for 1st service? Considering it would just be oil/ filter change and nothing much.
I think this should be fine, as VW uses Castrol, which costs Rs 970 per litre.

Also every time my Swift went for servicing (every 5000 KM) it used to cost me atleast Rs 2000 - 3000, and going by those standards this service is done at 15,000 KM for Vento, so I am fine with the amount, if it is around 10K

Last edited by evilshantanu : 12th July 2011 at 16:09. Reason: typo
Old 12th July 2011, 16:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

3k variance, though high, is alright. When my Skoda Laura got its first servicing done, the cost (approx) quoted to me was 9,000. The actual bill for the 1st free servicing came to 5,225.
For me, its always better that I get a quote of a higher amount than the actual bill.

Agree on the professionalism part though. 2-3 days for a normal servicing is absolute gibberish. But then, what else can you expect from the receptionist/customer care exec's.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 17:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I think this should be fine, as VW uses Castrol, which costs Rs 970 per litre.

Also every time my Swift went for servicing (every 5000 KM) it used to cost me atleast Rs 2000 - 3000, and going by those standards this service is done at 15,000 KM for Vento, so I am fine with the amount, if it is around 10K
Is it the first paid service? 10K is quite high no matter what engine oil they use. The whole point of larger service intervals is that ownership cost reduces. This doesn't reduce anything!
Old 12th July 2011, 17:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Is it the first paid service? 10K is quite high no matter what engine oil they use. The whole point of larger service intervals is that ownership cost reduces. This doesn't reduce anything!
Yes this is going to be the first paid service. Will get to know the costs only by next week once I get the service done
Old 12th July 2011, 17:19   #9
BHPian

what is the engine oil capacity of that 1.6 mil? 5 ltrs max? and what oil are they using? mobil delvac one?

as i understand, VW did not extend any free services on vento. so would like to see how the breakup of service bills.

aside, there must be couple of jetta/polo owners on forum who've already had service experience with VW. good if we can have their opinion here. one of the major reaons why i skipped on vento tdi was that there was no real idea about how servicing would be. the pre-sales experience gave me bad vibes about it all.

Last edited by BuRnT RuBbEr : 12th July 2011 at 17:20.
Old 12th July 2011, 19:18   #10
BHPian

@evilshantanu,

I have read else where in the forum that the VW service is excellent and they give you discount coupons etc. A person serviced it at Cochin too came up with a figure close to 9000/- if remembering correctly.

Professionalism will of course vary among organisations-especially VW dealers are a very unenthusiastic lot.However Bangalore Motors seem to do better job.

Please have the service done-let's not be too prejudiced

Afterwards, I suggest you call up the other service centre and compare the expenses- and post the findings for the benefit of your fellow BHPians. Also please let us know if they hand out discount coupons.

Best of luck with your service.Enjoy the drive.
Old 12th July 2011, 19:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

evilS, there is a Polo service thread that you should look up. And we will definitely post on this thread as well. Very useful!

I have budgeted about 10K per year on regular maintenance and 5K for miscellaneous repairs. Let's see how it goes!
Old 13th July 2011, 00:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shantanu , good to see you back after a long silence . Thanks for starting this imporatnt thread. 9k seems to be a bit on the higher side by my calculations it should be 1-2 K less than that .
Engine oil would be the biggest chunk (around 4K) rest would be oil filter , air filter clean up / change and labour. From my SAI service experience they usually try to push down one's throats bits like body polish , K&N, etc which are optional but if you are not careful they tick on the jobcard . Keep an eye on those whether they are included in the 9200 /-
Even though mine is around 6.5K to the first service, I will also call up the service station here in Mumbai and try to get a quote.

A question to all those who went for the monsoon check-up - since engine oil top-up was done as part of the monsoon check up , if your servicing is round the corner (like evils) is it still necessary to change oil ?
Old 13th July 2011, 00:48   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

This query goes to Sourav/Noopster/Evil Shantanu/naveen/other vento owners - since you guys have had one (or more) servicing experiences, could you post the cost breakups and what all activities were done. Also a bit idea about what done in the summer/monsoon check-ups.
I understand you would have posted the same on your individual threads but since this thread is up, why not keep a one place repository, considering different dealers/service centers are quoting different prices (& maybe different job activities too)

This would help a lot of to-be Vento owners (including me )
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Engine oil would be the biggest chunk (around 4K) rest would be oil filter , air filter clean up / change and labour.
Does this cover all the basic activities in the first service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
From my SAI service experience they usually try to push down one's throats bits like body polish , K&N, etc which are optional but if you are not careful they tick on the jobcard . Keep an eye on those whether they are included in the 9200 /-
Exactly why I have put up the above request.
Old 13th July 2011, 07:45   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

nintajalli- I think only naveen, evilS are close to their first services- I am barealy halfway there (6 mo/7000 km at time of posting!)

My monsoon checkup (complimentary thanks to VW) is coming up and they will just check all the important things, top up the wiper fluid etc. in that (no service). Vento's first service (paid) is after 1 year/15k km. There is no concept of "free" services at 1000, 5000 like Japanese/Korean carmakers offer.

BTW, @souravc- the monsoon check is at most a feel-good thingy- please don't miss your mandatory service because of that!
Old 13th July 2011, 09:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I expected this evilS since it's at 15k kms. My Swift comes around 10k when it reaches 15k kms. So considering VW, am expecting such high figures. Yes, as noop mentioned am nearing my first service too. Just 2k to clock but evilS would be the first Vento to be serviced.

Waiting for an update on this. It would help all of us. Keep the post updated guys.

Most Viewed