Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 16:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy experience in a repeat Scorpio purchase!!

I have a company provided car; every 4 years we can change. Last change was a Scorpio CRDE 2.6 purchased from the ASC, Ahmedabd, Punjab Automobiles.

This time around having analyzed various options and having enjoyed the cracker of a car, I decided to renew my faith in M&M. Discussed with various friends who have the 4x4 fully loaded Mhwak, all of them were ga ga about the engine and performance. With high expectations, I went to the ASC around June last week, took the price list and gave my number for them to follow up.

Since nothing moved from the ASC, I moved. Knowing there could be a waiting period of 20-30 days, I was keen to get the order processed and and went again around 8th of July, till then nobody contacted, they don't have data base of prospective corporate / customers, wonder how they generate sales!!!! They don't also have a corporate sales person, proudly said corporates go to them!!!

Again left my card with the lady in charge of the product and her boss, they were so indifferent and made me feel like a begger!!!

Wanted to TD the latest one with all the electronic gizmos like rain senser etc. it was raining, they had no car, it was in workshop!!! Went again to clarify discounts, accessories etc, this was the final quote for a VLX BS4, 4x4, white 8 seator:
Basic price: 1128925
RTO (company / double) : 118601
Insurance: 44306
Accessories and fitting: 14850 (compulsory, mats, + 3M coating of the body, engine room etc)
Municipal Tax: 4425
Total 1315607
Delivery time 4- 6 weeks.
Non-refundable, transferable advance of Rs.2 lacs along with the PO.

Yesterday, took a TD, all gizmos were working, though a little different in torque delivery, it satisfied all I wanted. Today we gave the Purchase order with cheque, after 1 hour I get the following call:

Sir, the system is not accepting the order as they don't have the 8 seater one, why don't you take the captain seat or 7 seater. The system would take 8 seater order only if you take the airbags with an additional 25 K cost!!!

I want the 8 seater only as the centre asle will slide back to give more space. I would remove the last row as I have done in my present vehicle.

What is M&M coming to? The 4x4 is available in the top model, with all gizmos which are likely to go cranky on rough usage. The body colour cladding is going to get scratched out of kelter on off roading. I accepted all cranks as I wanted the 8 seater 4x4 , after charging 13L from a loyal customer / a repeat customer the least they could do is to customize this much.

1. Anyone with similar experience?
2. What would you do under these circumstances?
3. Whom to contact at M&M on this?

Would appreciate your inputs and comments.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramky
====
Old 26th July 2011, 16:52   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Shocking Response To Repeat Scorpio Purchase!!

I hate hearing such things - especially when they do it to regular, pretty loyal, solid and reasonably knowledgeable consumers like us.

I will PM you now with some email addresses that you can write to, and put forward your case.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I have a company provided car; every 4 years we can change. Last change was a Scorpio CRDE 2.6 purchased from the ASC, Ahmedabd, Punjab Automobiles.

This time around having analyzed various options and having enjoyed the cracker of a car, I decided to renew my faith in M&M. Discussed with various friends who have the 4x4 fully loaded Mhwak, all of them were ga ga about the engine and performance. With high expectations, I went to the ASC around June last week, took the price list and gave my number for them to follow up.

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th July 2011 at 17:02. Reason: Please DO NOT quote entire text. Thanks!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 17:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have escalated my case pronto, this is the mail I got from the customer care / product manager:

"Much appreciate your feedback and the fact that you have driven your Scorpio all over the country and would like to buy one again. It is entirely due to aficionados like you that Scorpio is a cult brand today and continues to build an ever-growing family of Scorpio customers. Many thanks.

However, just like any other domestic or international auto manufacturer, we have a preset configuration of feature-colour-seater combination for each vehicle model, ex-factory. Every car brand and model has a specific set of features, that are certified by ARAI and then made available in the market – these cannot be changed unless you decide to customize your car, post-purchase. Scorpio VLX 4wd comes with 7 seats, with the option of a 7-seater sidefacing (2+3+2 with last row jump seats side-facing), and a 7-seater Captain (2+2+3, all seats front facing).

I regret the Scorpio VLX 4wd does not have an 8-seater, but may I please ask you to check out the 7-seater Captain Seats option – it will enable you and your family/friends to travel in comfort, and has space in the centre of the middle row for a comfortable entry and exit without a typical 8-seater’s hassle of folding and unfolding seats.

Another car may have the seating option that you seek, but perhaps not all the features that are available in the Scorpio; and Vice Versa. For eg: the Scorpio VLX 4wd comes with unique Voice Assist, Tyre Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System, Smart ‘Anti-Pinch’ window on Driver’s side, Intelligent Rain & Light Sensors for auto-wiper movement and auto-headlamp brightening+ dimming action, the fuel-saving Microhybrid, Bluevision bulbs in headlamps for enhanced night-time visibility, Cruise Control – all of which are not available on the Toyota Innova or the Tata Safari – and which are targeted to make your ride stressfree, safe, comfortable, convenient and hassle-free.

I am marking this mail to my colleague Robin Das, who heads Sales in Gujarat and sits in our Ahmedabad office, so that he can assist you if you require any further information or help with your purchase.

Thanks & Regards"

I am yet to hear from Mr.Robin and find this mail highly patronizing. I have half a mind to cancel the order and wait for Safari /Merlin, would be launching around 18th Aug, I guess.

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I hate hearing such things - especially when they do it to regular, pretty loyal, solid and reasonably knowledgeable consumers like us.

I will PM you now with some email addresses that you can write to, and put forward your case.

Cheers

Last edited by ramkya1 : 26th July 2011 at 17:31. Reason: Removed the font tags.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:34   #4
AVR
BHPian

Wait Ramky wait!

After the option I gave you and the news I shared with you about next month which we can't discuss here, why go in for the Scorpio only?

Saturday let's go out and check the black vehicle. After becoming a Jeeper you should understand that everything in a vehicle can be changed/shortened/transplanted then why the compromise?

13L is a lot of money to still feel not so happy!
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 17:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

While I know that the mail you posted from the M&M Product Manager (unfortunately with warts, moles, tags and everything else intact from your copy-paste exercise) reads a little patronizing I am not very sure that I still understood the meaning of this thread in its complete sense. Are you complaining that why Mahindra makes its vehicle in a certain confirguration and will not change that for a sole customer? That too when the customer is a loyal, repeat one? If that is really the crux of the matter, have you otherwise found out any other manufacturer in India who will oblige you with a custom configuration if you buy a car?

Last edited by Zappo : 26th July 2011 at 17:38.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 17:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

You're twisting the knife now ;-)

So let's check out the options this saturday and I would seriously think of considering anything other than Scorpio. Will talk to you.

I am doing a TD of the Safari tomorrow, let's see what pans out.

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Wait Ramky wait!

After the option I gave you and the news I shared with you about next month which we can't discuss here, why go in for the Scorpio only?

Saturday let's go out and check the black vehicle. After becoming a Jeeper you should understand that everything in a vehicle can be changed/shortened/transplanted then why the compromise?

13L is a lot of money to still feel not so happy!
Old 26th July 2011, 17:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is some arm twisting tactics by M&M and definitely in bad taste esp for a loyal M&M customer. Going by your post and the M&M response it seem that on paper M&M does not offer 8 seater but would do so if you buy it along with Airbags and additional 25K more. This stinks.

I guess the best way is to show them the "other car" offer and threaten them with cancellation of order. Alternatively post on Anand Mahindra's twitter page, it seems he responds to such issues (atleast).

Edit: Attached link; http://articles.economictimes.indiat...al-media-orkut

Last edited by ghodlur : 26th July 2011 at 17:47.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ramky, what you have asked for would be considered by M&M as customization. Putting in two seats of a different config is just as complicated as adding Airbags / TCS/ 4x4.

They possibly think that it should be done only on the assembly line. Any small change will upset the equilibrium of the entire set-up, and cannot be done outside of the manufacturing process.

Then again, M&M is not alone in this.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Ramkya1- I did not quite get you. You are saying either of these things.

1) You want a model which is manufactured by M&M but since the sales person is unable to place an order for That model you are appalled with M&M service.

2) You want a model that is not in production at all by M&M and are appalled with M&M for the same.

If it is 1 (which does not seem the case from mail) then it is a sad state of affairs. But if it is two, then no one can help. Just like you just cannot get Swift diesel with air bags (not as yet) you just cannot get that 4X4 as an eight seater.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

While I would be the last person to defend M&M and it's "customer oriented" policies, I don't understand why this reponse is shocking.

I agree that your pre-sales and sales experience wasn't anything to write home about and also that the dealer should have informed you about 4x4 without airbags being available only in 7 seater config before you paid the advance. However, I really don't see anything amiss in M&M informing you of this fact. It's almost akin to saying that the 4x4 isn't available in the LX or SLE variants. What's the big deal?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th July 2011 at 17:55.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 17:55   #11
BHPian

My friend had a similar experience when he wanted to book his Bolero. He always complains about the poor response on sales and he has a big list of stories on After Sales Service. No actions are taken over customer feedbacks. You need to contact the Regional Sales Head of that State not by email but direct call, then something would happen. You have this issue with M&M.

I found Tata's are far better in this regard. When I complain, they turn back immediately with actions/solution. M&M products are OK, but they need to rectify their Sales & Service system.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 26th July 2011 at 18:22.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

1. The copy paste exercise with warts, moles, tags and everything else was not to distort it with my words. Is this OK and within the policy? If not you may delete the thread.

2. The point of the thread? To highlight how absurd the configuration is for off roading, with all electrical gizmos and body claddings in full paint, customer has no choice and the point that in the past they have changed the same for one customer, namely me.

Case in point: I bought an LX Scorpio in 2007, August 8th, came with the side facing seats with old front bumpers and central fixed seats. They changed it to centre sliding seats, last front facing bench and the front bumper with air dams.

What has changed now? More sales, less sensitivity to customer needs?

To get my problem solved, I have taken my case to the highest in M&M. I wanted to know if others are facing similar problems and how did they solve it?

Is this the right thread, if not, you may move it to the right tone too.

Thanks,

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
While I know that the mail you posted from the M&M Product Manager (unfortunately with warts, moles, tags and everything else intact from your copy-paste exercise) reads a little patronizing I am not very sure that I still understood the meaning of this thread in its complete sense. Are you complaining that why Mahindra makes its vehicle in a certain confirguration and will not change that for a sole customer? That too when the customer is a loyal, repeat one? If that is really the crux of the matter, have you otherwise found out any other manufacturer in India who will oblige you with a custom configuration if you buy a car?
Quote was for 8 seater, order was given for 8 seater, cheque was taken for 8 seater, discussions was on 8 seater. The ASC told me, I can order 8 seater if I pay 25K extra for 2 air bags.

The issues here are:

1. Right to full informaton at the time of processing the order and not after taking the advance.

2. Change of config. which was given 4 years earlier in my purchase of my CRDE 2.6; those were 3-4 major changes. Here the change is only the centre seating change.

3. Value of repeat purchase, value for customer loyalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
@Ramkya1- I did not quite get you. You are saying either of these things.

1) You want a model which is manufactured by M&M but since the sales person is unable to place an order for That model you are appalled with M&M service.

2) You want a model that is not in production at all by M&M and are appalled with M&M for the same.

If it is 1 (which does not seem the case from mail) then it is a sad state of affairs. But if it is two, then no one can help. Just like you just cannot get Swift diesel with air bags (not as yet) you just cannot get that 4X4 as an eight seater.
Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Please also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 4th August 2011 at 16:57. Reason: posts merged...
Old 26th July 2011, 18:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote was for 8 seater, order was given for 8 seater, cheque was taken for 8 seater, discussions was on 8 seater. The ASC told me, I can order 8 seater if I pay 25K extra for 2 air bags.

The issues here are:

1. Right to full informaton at the time of processing the order and not after taking the advance.

2. Change of config. which was given 4 years earlier in my purchase of my CRDE 2.6; those were 3-4 major changes. Here the change is only the centre seating change.

3. Value of repeat purchase, value for customer loyalty.

I did not know that M&M entertains customization. Generally customization means deviation from standard assembly line which means more time and man power to be invested and may result in higher price.

But if the the showroom did all the pre sales WRT to your requirements and are backing off in the last minute, then that is a matter of shame.

But IMO extra 25K for air bags is decent, no? Or you may haggle for more discount as they processed your sales request without prior confirmation about availability.
Old 26th July 2011, 19:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I want the 8 seater only as the centre asle will slide back to give more space. I would remove the last row as I have done in my present vehicle.
====
Quote:
Scorpio VLX 4wd comes with 7 seats, with the option of a 7-seater sidefacing (2+3+2 with last row jump seats side-facing)
I can understand the frustration at not being able to choose a configuration of own choice, even though opting for the top variant.

having said that, doesnt the reply from M&M meet your expectations? It seems you wish to remove the last row, i.e. retain a 2+5 seat config. Is that not possible with the 7-seater side facing? Or is it that the middle row is immovable in this variant?

All the best!
Old 26th July 2011, 19:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi ramkya1,

Congratulations on your new booking.
While I do not have an answer to any of your queries above, I do have a question for you. Why didn't you opt for the airbags in the first instance itself that is prior to the booking s/w showing that as a necessary option.

Most Viewed