Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 05:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dealer SCAM : Service the car *more frequently* than required!

[quote=dhanushs;2475413]Well, the oil change is at 10k, but I remember Maruti recommending a check up service every 5k kms.

Look at the Swift maintenance instructions I attached in the referred post. It clearly says 10K for the Swift, even the 1.3L ones.
5K service was for the carburetor cars of yesteryears. Todays Marutis don't require the 5K service. But the fact remains that inspections are OK but not for fleecing the owner by the dealer.
Old 21st August 2011, 19:18   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

@rajeev_k is right. I meant 10,000 km/6 months which used to be my approximate usgae anyway before I got the Vento

Thanks for that!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mr. Sachin,
Thank You for giving us the details. Actually it helps us to identify Customer details from Dealer or Mass data base, for faster communication normally we request to give all the details.
Regarding your query I would like to bring your notice that from MSIL side we recommend schedule service as per owner’s Manual. We request you to follow owner’s manual guidelines for schedule services and warranty cases. Though I am taking up this matter with concern Mass people, thanks for giving valuable feedback regarding process.
Assuring you our best of service always.

Regds,
Kartick Dutta
Bangalore
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well,well,well! The cat is out of the bag!
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 06:58   #34
BHPian

Did the regional manager contact you for details etc
Old 25th August 2011, 08:41   #35
BHPian

Well, I've got a similar recommendation from URS KAR motors in Mysore for my Tata indica Vista.

However, the service advisor told me specifically that it's just a preventive measure and that NOT necessary as per the service schedule.

Apparently all they do is a visual check-up, top up any fluids etc. etc.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeblitz View Post
However, the service advisor told me specifically that it's just a preventive measure and that NOT necessary as per the service schedule.
Definitely a smart move by the dealers to make money out of unsuspecting and mostly first time car owners. The recent spurt in the car sales has seen many first time car owners who aren't well-versed with the automobile world. I am sure if the saleman contacted ten people with this offer, at least seven would accept the offer without any second thought. Even if they paid 500 bucks apiece, the service centre has earned a good amount without doing any work.

It's the ploy where they will inspect the car and then 'advise' that certain part be changed as it looks as if it will fail in the next two months, or get some anti-rust or other treatment for the rains or maybe the wheel alignment is off and they need to do it again.

It's the manufacturer you should trust (through the owner's manual) and not the dealer.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:08   #37
BHPian

@honeybee

So true. It just so happens that this service advisor knows how i watch over my car and that he can't sell me stuff that i don't want. I've been consistently inspecting their work. I take a look at everything they say they want to replace. I'm just wondering if that's why he told me straight up that it's not what tata recommends but what they, the dealer does. I have no problems with that, since he was straight up and it's entirely optional. I do have to wonder if they do the same to every customer though...
Old 25th August 2011, 11:29   #38
BHPian

Hi,
I have a Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI, model Aug 2008.
The car has done about 70,000 kms, trouble free.
At the 60,000 km service the service guy told me that i need to change the timing belt and tensioner pulley. Checking worldwide forums, got to know that the part needs to be changed at 60000 miles. However, just to be sure, I contacted Skoda who routed my call to the same dealer. This time he said that the part can be changed safely at 80000 kms !. The price was quoted as Rs. 15,000. Now, i dont know what and whom to believe.
Can fellow T bhpians please help ?
Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 13:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

@HarshD, the answer has been already provided in the earlier posts, "Owner's Manual"!! Check your car's owner's manual. It should have a section on what items are to be checked and/or replaced during the periodic servicing. Check the relevant information for the 60,000 - 80,000 km milestones. See if Skoda advises a replacement of the timing belt.

The only case where you should deviate from the owner's manual (i.e. change the belt early) is if the the belt has been worn out. A physical inspection of the belt would tell you this.

@nukeblitz, no doubt these guys pull off the same trick on every customer. They might not venture too far in every case, as in yours, but no doubt for someone as watchful as you, there are at least ten other customers who will not think twice before accepting the demand.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:05   #40
BHPian

[quote=
honeybee;2481257.. only case where you should deviate from the owner's manual (i.e. change the belt early) is if the the belt has been worn out. A physical inspection of the belt would tell you this.
@nukeblitz, no doubt these guys pull off the same trick on every customer. They might not venture too far in every case, as in yours, but no doubt for someone as watchful as you, there are at least ten other customers who will not think twice before accepting the demand.[/QUOTE]

Stick to the owners manual, as far as possible. Only parts like clutch plates and brake liners can wear ahead of schedule - for this there are visible signs. For all other parts, a sufficient factor of safety is provided, meaning, if the designed life of a timing belt is 60,000 km, the manufacturer will recommend replacement at 50,000 km to be on the safer side. But, this does not warrant an over-enthusiastic (read: greedy) service centre recommending a change at 20,000 km.

Another issue, I own a Swift and a SX4. I have been getting frequent 'calls' from the service centre 'advising' service ahead of schedule.
The reasons are obvious, the bottom-lines are getting effected and once you send a vehicle for this unsolicited service, they will 'find' a lot of problems that have expensive solutions.

I am sure that MSIL is no saint. Otherwise, how do you expect all the service centres to follow the same modus operandi to fleece unsuspecting customers? Without the knowledge of the manufacturers? I cannot believe that!

All this communication about 'investigating the matter', 'we are seeking clarifications from the service centre' are all hog wash. Its akin to the Government forming committees and sub-committees when they want to push a matter under the carpet!
Old 25th August 2011, 21:12   #41
BHPian

Recently, while getting the fourth service done for my SX4, I was asked by the rep to have the next service done at 5000kms. When asked about details, he mentioned that it would only be a routine check up and would involve Alignment, Balancing etc. which seemed fair.

However, another rep from Competent Automobiles Delhi made an insane statement when I'd called them for On road assistance. He said "Sir, You should get the service done at 5000kms. because even though the manual might say 10,000 kms. but to travel that distance your car idles also at traffic/redlights etc., so the engine has almost run the same distance"
Old 25th August 2011, 22:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
... he mentioned that it would only be a routine check up and would involve Alignment, Balancing etc. which seemed fair.
NO!! Please check your owner's manual. It should tell you the mileage at which you should get alignment/balancing done. Usually balancing of the wheels is not required unless the tyre is taken off the rim and mounted again (in case of repairing a puncture, or fitting new tyres or new rims). The only time wheel alignment is done out of turn is if you have hit a pothole/kerb at a moderate to high speed, which can cause undue strain on the suspension/wheel.

About the engine running the same distance, well, change your ASC is all I can say
Old 25th August 2011, 22:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
Did the regional manager contact you for details etc
Lol, no. I am not even expecting any call(s)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshD View Post
Hi,
I have a Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI, model Aug 2008.
The car has done about 70,000 kms, trouble free.
At the 60,000 km service the service guy told me that i need to change the timing belt and tensioner pulley. Checking worldwide forums, got to know that the part needs to be changed at 60000 miles. However, just to be sure, I contacted Skoda who routed my call to the same dealer. This time he said that the part can be changed safely at 80000 kms !. The price was quoted as Rs. 15,000. Now, i dont know what and whom to believe.
Can fellow T bhpians please help ?
Thanks
Wait, did I hear you say Skoda? Service manual=Bible.
Old 26th August 2011, 02:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
NO!! Please check your owner's manual. It should tell you the mileage at which you should get alignment/balancing done. Usually balancing of the wheels is not required unless the tyre is taken off the rim and mounted again (in case of repairing a puncture, or fitting new tyres or new rims). The only time wheel alignment is done out of turn is if you have hit a pothole/kerb at a moderate to high speed, which can cause undue strain on the suspension/wheel.

About the engine running the same distance, well, change your ASC is all I can say
Pardon my limited knowledge, however usually 5000 kms is considered the appropriate interval for wheel alignment/balancing.

Also, about the ASC, it was an On road assistance visit from Competent, else it's usually MSM at Okhla that I stick to.

Although I can say that I have never been satisfied with the alignment/balancing done at MSM.
Old 26th August 2011, 07:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Pardon my limited knowledge, however usually 5000 kms is considered the appropriate interval for wheel alignment/balancing.
There are no 5k intervals in my Santro manual. Even wheel alignment has to be done at 10k. Balancing, as I said, is not exactly a periodic activity. So I would still suggest to go with the owner's manual. And I would be very surprised if the wheel alignment were scheduled at 5k, but an oil change at 10k.

After all as far as alignment is concerned, unless you stand there overseeing the alignment being done, there's no guarantee it has actually been done, and the workshop will charge you upwards of Rs. 250/- for the same.

Most Viewed