Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 07:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dealer SCAM : Service the car *more frequently* than required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
After all as far as alignment is concerned, unless you stand there overseeing the alignment being done, there's no guarantee it has actually been done, and the workshop will charge you upwards of Rs. 250/- for the same.
Getting alignment done at A.S.S is always expensive. I usually do alignment+balancing+tyre rotation and oil change every 5k km even if manual suggests otherwise. Rest all according to the manual.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:55   #47
BHPian

We have had the same experience with our Polo. Even though VW mentions their first service after an interval of 15K kms/1 Year (Not a free service), the Calicut dealership asked us to bring the car after it completes 5K kms and get a intermediate service(!!!) done. The reason quoted was "We will gauge how the car is responding to your driving style and advice you how to change your driving style to suit the car's needs". I was like

I am sure my dad would have fallen for that, had I not interfered...
Old 26th August 2011, 14:25   #48
Team-BHP Support

Re: Another Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I got the same non-sense call from Saboo Motors at Hyderabad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

Have you made MSIL aware of these?
There was a bit of misunderstanding.

I get my car serviced at RKS Saboo Motors. The last service was sometime early this year.
But last year I had a minor issue. I took the car to Gem Motors near my office.

This call was from Gem Motors. They had made a cold call because my car was in their system and not serviced this year.

Very sorry, I forgot to update this thread with the full story.
Old 26th August 2011, 14:33   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Ensure you get MGP engine oil in sealed containers. Many dealers buy in 210 ltrs barrels and that could be on lowest price basis and that perhaps quality then given a go by. May not be by all. Ask the service adviser to show the type and make of oil used.
Im not sure you can demand this. They are offering you an oil change, and as long as the oil conforms to what they should be using, I dont think they would entertain any such demands. You're free to do the oil change elsewhere if you don't like it.
Old 26th August 2011, 14:59   #50
BHPian

It is trick followed by all MASS center’s. What they do is a general check-up(my bad it should be just wash) . But the most they recommend to make money is,
1) Top-up of oils
2) Brake’s cleaning/Adjustment/setting
3) Wheel Alignment and Balancing
4) General Washing.
As this is not regular service records, I do not think it goes to the Maruthi service details database. This I could make out as I had taken my Ritz VDI for 15K(Was planning long drive trip) service he mentioned estimate for wheel B& A as Rs 800/- . I showed him 10K service bill(done some 2/3 month before) and it had bill of around 600K for this he mentioned that they have revised the price. I asked him to remove it from list so that I could get it done outside. During the 20K service the estimate was back to Rs 600/650 for Wheel B & A.
I am sticking to 10K service and my ODO is 36K Kms and have not faced any problem.
Even my Indica with 10K service interval is running fine with 80K Kms ODO. So it is better to stick with 10K service .
Old 26th August 2011, 15:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmhn View Post
It is trick followed by all MASS center’s. What they do is a general check-up(my bad it should be just wash) . But the most they recommend to make money is,
1) Top-up of oils
2) Brake’s cleaning/Adjustment/setting
3) Wheel Alignment and Balancing
4) General Washing.
As this is not regular service records, I do not think it goes to the Maruthi service details database. This I could make out as I had taken my Ritz VDI for 15K(Was planning long drive trip) service he mentioned estimate for wheel B& A as Rs 800/- . I showed him 10K service bill(done some 2/3 month before) and it had bill of around 600K for this he mentioned that they have revised the price. I asked him to remove it from list so that I could get it done outside. During the 20K service the estimate was back to Rs 600/650 for Wheel B & A.
I am sticking to 10K service and my ODO is 36K Kms and have not faced any problem.
Even my Indica with 10K service interval is running fine with 80K Kms ODO. So it is better to stick with 10K service .

You're absolutely right. I'd done the 35k service at Vitesse just prior to the monsoons, and I needed to do the alignment. The service adviser recommended it, and I agreed because I didnt have the time to make a second trip to go get it done elsewhere.
When I looked at the bill I saw I'd been charged me for weights. I have alloys on the car and they're in spotless condition. My tyres are tubeless. There was no vibration issue I'd reported. What weights would they possibly have used?
So I took a quick peek at all four alloys.

Not. A. Gram.

Called the service adviser over and gave him HELL. He apologized profusely, and had it struck from the bill. I thought about filing a formal complaint, but I usually get very good service from Vitesse in general and this service adviser in particular so I didn't.

The next day, I wished I had. I started getting massivie vibrations beyond 120. Called up the service adviser, told him I was filing a complaint with MSIL. He begged me not to, and asked me to bring the car back for a redo. I declined, and told him he was going to give me the same amount as a service credit in my next service, which he readily agreed to.

Old 26th August 2011, 18:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmhn View Post
As this is not regular service records, I do not think it goes to the Maruthi service details database.

...I showed him 10K service bill(done some 2/3 month before) and it had bill of around 600K...
Ah, this never occurred to me! By not feeding into records, there is no proof of the same. Even if some replacement is done, it will be individual part(s)! Nice, nice, very nice and cunning of them.

And, I am pretty sure the highlight in the quote is an error
Old 26th August 2011, 19:26   #53
BHPian

I have Wagon R - BS3 Petrol before K-Series Launch.
I have finished 3 Free services until now, as per service manual. (1k, 3K and 1Year/10K). and service manual further recommends service interval of 10K.
last 2 Services were done at Suraksha, Bommanhalli-Bangalore.
Service was ok, except at last service, which they basically goofyied emission certificate with entry of wrong vehicle number.
Now they have given service interval of 5K (next one at approx 13K kms, after 3rd one at 8K/1Y). I don't understand how they can suggest 5K service interval, when manual itself suggest interval of 10K kms.
I trusted them, they are "service masters" in bangalore.
And Also wheel alignment, balancing and rotation was done, and they suggested wheel alignment, balancing and rotation needs to be done every 5K kms. and they charge heavily for wheel Alignment, Balancing and Rotation. Is it really required that i do vehicle service and Wheel alignment every 5K kms.?
Next time, i,am thinking i will not give there for servicing.
Old 26th August 2011, 20:25   #54
BANNED

This is nothing if you take the case of Honda. I own a 2007 honda city ZX 2007 model and the manual says service interval of 5000Km or 6 months whichever is earlier, and now they have decreased it even further to 5000Km or 3 months. This is ridiculous, as if we don't have any other thing to do other than keep our cars getting serviced. ..to add to it the authorised workshops have started using synthetic engine oils (unless you specifically ask them to use mineral based oils), i mean using synthetic engine oils for just 5000km is an overkill. Forget corruption in government departments, pvt. sector is sucking just as much.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 21:59   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
And Also wheel alignment, balancing and rotation was done, and they suggested wheel alignment, balancing and rotation needs to be done every 5K kms. and they charge heavily for wheel Alignment, Balancing and Rotation. Is it really required that i do vehicle service and Wheel alignment every 5K kms.?
While rotation/alignment is recommended at 10k interval, there is no harm in doing it at 5k km. No point doing in M.A.S.S, I specifically tell 'em not to do any of these. I always do it outside.
Old 26th August 2011, 22:37   #56
BHPian

Another example – Mahindra claims that for CRDE, engine oil replacement and fuel filter replacement; interval is 15000 KM / one year. But I am getting calls after 3-4 months of every service claiming that service interval is 5000KM / 4 months and asking me to return the vehicle. Given one time and they returned the vehicle in the evening with a bill nearly 2500RS. Paid service (Just washing nothing else) =900 OCA brakes = 900 RS 1 Ltr Coolant = 200 Rs (when I have given in the morning not a drop of coolant was less and not sure where they poured it) service tax, vat..bla, bla . When I asked what this OCA is, SA was searching in the darkness to give me in answer. I found it was just brake cleaning and the item was introduced by service center in the schedule. Then onwards my STORM goes for consumable refreshments during every 12000 KM. If Mine was DI I would be happy to do the service every 5000 KM
Old 27th August 2011, 00:50   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a similar call from Kalyani Motors, Bangalore for my Dzire. Actually, I bought my car in Kalayni but preferred Bimal for servicing. So, I did my first servicing(1000Kms) in Bimal. After this servicing within a month(2 months from purchase date) i got a call from Kalyani to bring the car for second servicing. I asked why? They told my car is due for second service. I asked her back whether she is aware of the mileage that I have covered. She didn't reply and canceled the car.
Old 27th August 2011, 15:03   #58
BANNED

I have got similar call from bimal and Mandovi for my dzire. I told the callers that I will crosscheck with maruti; immediately got a call from supervisior saying its not a mandatory service but an intermediate check to see if everything is alright. I can opt out of it in case my car has no problem.
Old 28th August 2011, 06:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Im not sure you can demand this. They are offering you an oil change, and as long as the oil conforms to what they should be using, I dont think they would entertain any such demands. You're free to do the oil change elsewhere if you don't like it.
Would you, in that case, agree to use of non MDP spares which some dealers use? You have every right to see the oil to ensure conformity to specs.
How to do other checking and corrections at a MASS and then oil change alone elsewhere. Not at all practical and recommended during warranty period and extended warranty period.
Old 28th August 2011, 11:49   #60
BHPian

I wrote to Maruti Customer care! and got below reply and one phone call asking about my vehicle no.

"Dear Customer,

We are in receipt of your complaint dated 27.08.2011 through our website regarding your Maruti WagonR Lxi. We regret for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard.

We are advising our Regional Service Manager posted at Regional Office BANGALORE (080 - 22127384-85, 5112017-18) to look into the matter and extend necessary assistance.

In the meantime, we would request you to kindly bear with us.

In future correspondences, please quote the above subject reference number.

Assuring you of our best services always.

Thanking you,

Yours Sincerely,

Kenny John Mathew

(Manager, Service - 3)

Maruti Suzuki India Ltd

CC : RSM- S2 , MSIL Workshop".

I don't know, whether they will take it seriously or it is just faux pass
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Naveen/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Naveen/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks