Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 12:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dealer SCAM : Service the car *more frequently* than required!

@ Mods, didn't find a similar thread. Hence,starting a new one.

A few minutes ago I just received a call from Nexus Maruti,New Bel Road,Bangalore.

Phone rings, I pick the call.

Other end : Hello sir, this is Karthik from Nexus Maruti. Your car,Swift Dzire is due for service this September.

Me (bewildered): I got my car serviced this March, its not due until next March.

OE: Sir, 5000km/6 month service.

Me: 6 months service? The service booklet says 10K km/1 year service.

OE: No sir, new circular.

ME: No, thanks, I will get my car serviced at 10k km.

OE: OK, thank you sir. (Cuts the call)

So whats cooking here? After the "Clutch needs to be changed saar", is this the new one?

I have heard good reviews about this service centre and I have given my vehicle for service here and have been satisfied. This call has really put me off. Should I shoot off a mail to MSIL and report this? Or, is this one off incident to rip a customer off? Anyone with similar experience?
sachinj12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 13:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Another Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I have heard good reviews about this service centre and I have given my vehicle for service here and have been satisfied. This call has really put me off. Should I shoot off a mail to MSIL and report this? Or, is this one off incident to rip a customer off? Anyone with similar experience?
I would suggest that you get this clarified from MSIL. In any case its better to get this known to them for these reasons -
a) You can be sure that whether such circular exists
b) Based on their answer, you will know whether the service centre is changing colors!
c) Also, you can make MSIL aware of such happenings.
samm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 13:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

If your car is under warranty you should check with MSIL about the service intervals (just to be on the safer side).

Personally I think it's an attempt to make money out of ignorant customers by the said dealer. This is because he stresses that despite your car manual advising a 10k interval, a new circular mandates the interval to be 5k. I don't think MSIL would be goofing up with such an important parameter in the owner manuals.

If your car has the K-series engine, the interval should definitely NOT be 5k.
Old 19th August 2011, 13:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Should I shoot off a mail to MSIL and report this? Or, is this one off incident to rip a customer off? Anyone with similar experience?
A much simpler solution.

Call the authorised dealer (not the service centre) and pose as a customer for dzire.Ask service schedule,if its been changed they would say so.

Confirm with at least two different dealers and presto you got the answer to your question.
Old 19th August 2011, 15:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

I got the same non-sense call from Saboo Motors at Hyderabad.
Old 19th August 2011, 16:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
I would suggest that you get this clarified from MSIL. In any case its better to get this known to them for these reasons -
a) You can be sure that whether such circular exists
b) Based on their answer, you will know whether the service centre is changing colors!
c) Also, you can make MSIL aware of such happenings.
Agreed, making MSIL aware of this is the best solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If your car is under warranty you should check with MSIL about the service intervals (just to be on the safer side).

Personally I think it's an attempt to make money out of ignorant customers by the said dealer. This is because he stresses that despite your car manual advising a 10k interval, a new circular mandates the interval to be 5k. I don't think MSIL would be goofing up with such an important parameter in the owner manuals.

If your car has the K-series engine, the interval should definitely NOT be 5k.
Car is very much under warranty. 15 months old. Mine is a DDiS. Service book says 10k km interval. If it was changed, I am sure one of the BHPians would have already started a thread on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
A much simpler solution.

Call the authorised dealer (not the service centre) and pose as a customer for dzire.Ask service schedule,if its been changed they would say so.

Confirm with at least two different dealers and presto you got the answer to your question.
They are only a service station, not a dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I got the same non-sense call from Saboo Motors at Hyderabad.
Have you made MSIL aware of these?
Old 19th August 2011, 16:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:

They are only a service station, not a dealership

call any dealership and confirm with them.If there was indeed a circular,the dealership will have firsthand information.
Old 19th August 2011, 16:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sachin / others: if you get such a call, ask them to send you a copy of that. They wont do it. Neither will they call you again for such a service
Old 19th August 2011, 21:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Shot off a mail to MSIL minutes ago. Lets see what they have to say.
Old 19th August 2011, 22:08   #10
BHPian

Recently I also got a call from Indus motors, Thrissur from where i service by Vdi for the "15000Km" service. I asked the lady what they specifically do in the 15000Km service and is it recommeneded by Maruti. The lady told they do a general check up, oil top up, if needed, and its done as a preventive measure. I think its a way by workshops to get extra money from customers.
Old 19th August 2011, 22:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Keep us posted, I have a swift vdi, and i'm sticking with the 10 k service interval too. This sounds fishy indeed.
Old 19th August 2011, 22:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A few minutes ago I just received a call from Nexus Maruti,New Bel Road,Bangalore.Hello sir, this is Karthik from Nexus Maruti. Your car,Swift Dzire is due for service this September.I got my car serviced this March, its not due until next March.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Personally I think it's an attempt to make money out of ignorant customers by the said dealer. If your car has the K-series engine, the interval should definitely NOT be 5k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
A much simpler solution.Call the authorised dealer (not the service centre) and pose as a customer for dzire.Confirm with at least two different dealers and presto you got the answer to your question.
I suspect another behind the curtain fradulent operation by these dealers. During the scheduled servicing, the engine oil which these dealers replaced may not be conforming to the recommended grade but of a lower grade having lesser drain interval. And this could be the probable reason for the call and if so it tantamount to outright cheating.
The recommended engine oils are those conforming to API SG+, SJ or SL specs.
The service are mainly for lubricant change and periodic cleaning and adjustments only. For carburetor cars the oil drain/refill interval was 5K kms whereas for MPFI it is 10K kms.
Maruti even do not recommend flushing the engine with a flushing oil after draining of the old oil prior to refilling with new oil. A popular maruti dealer in Kerala does this and charges extra labour charges in addition to the cost of the flushing oil which is more costlier than the engine oil itself. In my opinion the flushing oil could do more harm than good as any traces of this flushing oil left over in the engine could dilute the engine oil's lubricating property and can jeopardize engine performance and life.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th August 2011 at 22:55. Reason: addition
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 22:48   #13
BHPian

Re: Dealer SCAM : Service the car *more frequently* than required!

There is absolutely no doubt that this is a fraudulent call from the part of the service station. Pls keep us posted on what is MSIL's response would be. Mostly, they would say it is a mid service call just to do some preventive maintenance, literally covering their back.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2011 at 22:46. Reason: STRICTLY no inappropriate language on this forum. Correcting
Old 19th August 2011, 23:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I think its a way by workshops to get extra money from customers.
I guess too. Anyways, I even if I do the 5000km/6 month service, I wouldn't be going back to them. They serviced the car, but left deep multiple foot long scratches on my rear bumper which I noticed a week later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Keep us posted, I have a swift vdi, and i'm sticking with the 10 k service interval too. This sounds fishy indeed.
Yup, last time on service feedback I reported about the scratches. They begged and pleaded not to give negative feedback when MSIL calls up for M.A.S.S feedback, The call from MSIL never came

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I suspect another behind the curtain fradulent operation by these dealers. During the scheduled servicing, the engine oil which these dealers replaced may not be conforming to the recommended grade but of a lower grade having lesser drain interval. And this could be the probable reason for the call and if so it tantamount to outright cheating.
The recommended engine oils are those conforming to API SG+, SJ or SL specs.
The service are mainly for lubricant change and periodic cleaning and adjustments only. For carburetor cars the oil drain/refill interval was 5K kms whereas for MPFI it is 10K kms.
Maruti even do not recommend flushing the engine with a flushing oil after draining of the old oil prior to refilling with new oil. A popular maruti dealer in Kerala does this and charges extra labour charges in addition to the cost of the flushing oil which is more costlier than the engine oil itself. In my opinion the flushing oil could do more harm than good as any traces of this flushing oil left over in the engine could dilute the engine oil's lubricating property and can jeopardize engine performance and life.
Dude, you are scaring the crap outta me.. And please mention the name of the said dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
There is absolutely no doubt that this is a fraudulent call from the part of the service station. Pls keep us posted on what is MSIL's response would be. Mostly, they would say it is a mid service call just to do some preventive maintenance, literally covering their ***.
I am guessing the same too. "Saar, preventive maintenance,saar" And some other stupid reason.
Old 20th August 2011, 00:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess too. Anyways, I even if I do the 5000km/6 month service, I wouldn't be going back to them. They serviced the car, but left deep multiple foot long scratches on my rear bumper which I noticed a week later

They did the same on my car and this happened right in front of my eyes.
Some moron working there reversing a maruti van didnt notice my car as he was busy talking on the phone, bang right into the front bumper
it left a small mark.
Second time same day during delivery another small touch to the rear bumper.

While billing they tried to bill me some Rs 500 for a reverse bulb calming it was imported from japan I wanted to take the bulb and break it on head, Imported from Japan he tells me.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 20th August 2011 at 00:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks