Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 06:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dealer SCAM : Service the car *more frequently* than required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Dude, you are scaring the crap outta me.. And please mention the name of the said dealer.
Don't worry, check the condition of your engine oil for colour, thickness etc. If bad change the oil and filter and forget it. next time ensure that the oil refilled is of the recommended grade.
The name is in the adjective.
Old 20th August 2011, 06:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Mods, didn't find a similar thread. Hence,starting a new one.

A few minutes ago I just received a call from Nexus Maruti,New Bel Road,Bangalore.

Phone rings, I pick the call.

Other end : Hello sir, this is Karthik from Nexus Maruti. Your car,Swift Dzire is due for service this September.

Me (bewildered): I got my car serviced this March, its not due until next March.

OE: Sir, 5000km/6 month service.

Me: 6 months service? The service booklet says 10K km/1 year service.

OE: No sir, new circular.

ME: No, thanks, I will get my car serviced at 10k km.

OE: OK, thank you sir. (Cuts the call)

So whats cooking here? After the "Clutch needs to be changed saar", is this the new one?

I have heard good reviews about this service centre and I have given my vehicle for service here and have been satisfied. This call has really put me off. Should I shoot off a mail to MSIL and report this? Or, is this one off incident to rip a customer off? Anyone with similar experience?
I also got similar calls from BIMAL Auto agency to service my Alto. I also said I will get it serviced once in a year (My Alto is now used only in city).
Old 20th August 2011, 07:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 Dude, you are scaring the crap outta me.
Ensure you get MGP engine oil in sealed containers. Many dealers buy in 210 ltrs barrels and that could be on lowest price basis and that perhaps quality then given a go by. May not be by all. Ask the service adviser to show the type and make of oil used.

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th August 2011 at 07:03.
Old 20th August 2011, 07:34   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Once out of warranty, 5000km/6months is a reasonable interval for servicing. But within warranty, you should follow MSIL's recommended service intervals strictly. The dealer may be just giving you a routine intimation based on sone automated alert his system threw up. I ould stop short of calling it "fraud" as some here have.

Check with MSIL directly.
Old 20th August 2011, 08:23   #20
BHPian

Typically, if dealers are using 210 L drums, it should be ok. MSIL engineers do surprise checks and monitor these things.

If they don't, then you may have a problem.
Old 20th August 2011, 08:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

+1 to @noopster, i don't think its a deliberate attempt to rip some money off the customer. I usually get calls from Bimal and Carnation reminding me about the service due and when i pay a visit the SA there looks at the oil levels, engine oil, asks is there are any problems and then either recommends just a wash, and if i am not interested in that as well lets me go (Because there is nothing to do).

Sometimes for general checkup like oil quality and levels i go to nearby repair shop and he does exactly the same thing and lets me know if things are generally fine. This helps save a trip to distant Bimal (In Whitefield) and Carnation (In clogged Marathalli).
Old 20th August 2011, 09:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Once out of warranty, 5000km/6months is a reasonable interval for servicing. But within warranty, you should follow MSIL's recommended service intervals strictly. The dealer may be just giving you a routine intimation based on sone automated alert his system threw up. I ould stop short of calling it "fraud" as some here have.

Check with MSIL directly.
Car is very much under warranty. I am following 10k/annual service.

If it was routine check up, he would have said the same. He said 'service'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Typically, if dealers are using 210 L drums, it should be ok. MSIL engineers do surprise checks and monitor these things.

If they don't, then you may have a problem.
They have good reputation and there is a large influx of cars, I doubt if they would be using spurious oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
+1 to @noopster, i don't think its a deliberate attempt to rip some money off the customer. I usually get calls from Bimal and Carnation reminding me about the service due and when i pay a visit the SA there looks at the oil levels, engine oil, asks is there are any problems and then either recommends just a wash, and if i am not interested in that as well lets me go (Because there is nothing to do).

Sometimes for general checkup like oil quality and levels i go to nearby repair shop and he does exactly the same thing and lets me know if things are generally fine. This helps save a trip to distant Bimal (In Whitefield) and Carnation (In clogged Marathalli).
You maybe right, you maybe wrong. I am waiting for the MSIL mail. Until then, nothing can be said.
Old 20th August 2011, 09:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
+1 to @noopster, i don't think its a deliberate attempt to rip some money off the customer.
I am not so sure, for the fact that the caller, despite the OP reminding him about the service interval mentioned in the owner's manual, persisted in his enquiry, citing a new Maruti circular. I doubt if Maruti would issue a circular of this implication to only some dealers and not inform the real stakeholders, i.e. the customers. That's the reason I suspect there's something more going on behind the screens.

Not intending to post back to back, so I am raising a question here: Do you seriously expect a service advisor to believe the Dzire service interval is 5k? If I get a call like this and I point out the caller's mistake by mentioning the fact that my owner's manual specifies the interval to be 10k, I expect the caller to double-check this information and then come back to me, not push his agenda by saying Maruti has issued a new circular. The service advisors are supposed to KNOW these things about the various models of the manufacturer. If the computer system threw a mistaken alert, the service adviser would back down after I mentioned the service wasn't due yet. Not cite a non-existing circular.

Last edited by honeybee : 20th August 2011 at 09:54.
Old 20th August 2011, 09:51   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You maybe right, you maybe wrong. I am waiting for the MSIL mail. Until then, nothing can be said.
Hmmm...well, you did use the word "SCAM" in capital letters when starting the thread.

Sorry but I do think you are over-reacting. Nothing that the dealer has done here indicates a scam.

It seems to be a case of a system alert gone awry. Just because the dealer called and "reminded" you of an upcoming service appointment does NOT mean you should go there in a hurry. As the owner it is also your responsibility to ensure you know the correct service intervals and take your vehicle in accordingly.
Old 20th August 2011, 09:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is another way fo Dealer making more money from Car owners and providing a good service. Dealer gets money, car owners get their car serviced and get a sense of security that their car is in prestine condition. A WIN-WIN Situation. Right?

Wrong.

Dealers I believe are taking customers for a ride. Maruti currently mandates all cars to be serviced once every 10000 kms of 1 year which ever is earlier (New technology hence extended service intervals). Some of the other car manufacturers have 15K km servicing (M&M for scorpio). I own a swift and I have got the servicing done once every 10 K kms (After 3 free services ) for 80K kms and the car has not given me any problem and let me high and dry even once. Car is still in prestine condition. I know one swift owner on this forum who has got his swift D serviced once every 20 K kms and has driven >2,00,000 kms without any issue.
Old 20th August 2011, 10:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems to be a case of a system alert gone awry. Just because the dealer called and "reminded" you of an upcoming service appointment does NOT mean you should go there in a hurry. As the owner it is also your responsibility to ensure you know the correct service intervals and take your vehicle in accordingly.
You too own a Swift and I am sure you are very much aware that the service interval is 10k/annual service. Well, I appreciate that they called me up to remind me about the impending service, but at 6 month interval?They, after all, dealing with cars 7 days a week should know better about service intervals than you, me and the rest of the folks. I, however, am willing to give the benefit of doubt to the chap who called me. He might have meant 'check up', but said 'service'.

I am awaiting the mail from MSIL. Let's see what they have to say on this matter.

EDIT: I had titled it as 'Another Scam?'. It was renamed to the present title

Last edited by sachinj12 : 20th August 2011 at 10:20.
Old 20th August 2011, 10:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Recommended service interval for my Swift (old G engine) is 5000 km/6 months. Not to say I necessarily get it serviced at that interval, but just saying.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 19:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ref. No. : CRM:009600000XXXX

Dear Customer,

We are in receipt of your complaint dated 19.08.2011 through our website regarding your Maruti Vehicle. We regret for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard.

We are advising our Regional Service Manager posted at Regional Office BANGALORE (080 - 22127384-85, 5112017-18)to look into the matter and extend necessary assistance.

In the meantime, we would request you to kindly bear with us.

In future correspondences, please quote the above subject reference number.
Assuring you of our best services always.

Thanking you,
Yours Sincerely,

Kenny John Mathew
(Manager, Service - 3)
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd
CC : RSM- S2 , MSIL Workshop

The response I got from MSIL this evening.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recommended service interval for my Swift (old G engine) is 5000 km/6 months. Not to say I necessarily get it serviced at that interval, but just saying.
I am afraid there is something wrong in the service interval you have posted. My Swift's (2005 Model, G series engine) manual says it is 10K KMs or One year. The three free service is at 1K, 5k and 10K within one month, 6 months and One year respectively. After which it is at 10K KMs. Take a look at the excerpt from the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: doc swift service.doc (61.5 KB, 421 views)
Old 21st August 2011, 03:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
After which it is at 10K KMs. Take a look at the excerpt from the manual.
Well, the oil change is at 10k, but I remember Maruti recommending a check up service every 5k kms.

Quote:
A few minutes ago I just received a call...
Hi, was the last time they reminded you, after one year interval?

Most Viewed