Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 13:05   #1
BHPian

Kairali Ford - Bad Ford Service in Kottayam

I would like to present my experience with the Kairali Ford dealer in Kottayam.

I own a 2001 For Ikon Zxi, whch has run about 28,000 km. Though the car was bought in Bangalore, it is now being used by my mother in Kerala. She is about 78 years old and really does not know anything about cars, so I have the responsibility of maintaining it.

Though I have not been a fan of Kairali Ford in Kottayam, its has not been a dream ride either. As I write through, readers can see this for themselves.

The first issue started when I had to replace one of the foglamps as water had gone in and it was not working. I called Kairali Ford and told them I needed a replacement. They had the part in stock for about Rs.2900/-. They told me it is a sealed unit and the entire thing has to be change. They also told me a service appointment has to be booked (despite the car having been serviced 3 months back) and it will take 1 month to get an appointment date. This itself was very queer - to change a foglamp, why does one need to book an appointment one month in advance.

I let it rest. I also then remembered that when I had given the car 3 months back for service, they said they couldnt wash it because their pressure equipment was not working- still they were accepting cars and charging the full price for the same. I said that i would give the car for service, but they should not charge me the service cost. Anyway why were they accepting cars for service if they could not wash them.

The last straw was I needed some body work - they said they were in the process of renewing their contract with they outsourced body shop company ( I though a service dealership should have their own staff for body work - isnt that usually a criterio to be a servicing center in the first place?)

I was getting frustrated and shot off a mail to Ford India (the "write to MD " id). I got a response almost immediately, and a call from Kairali Ford that afternoon itself. They were asking what was the issue - i explained everything and they first tried to say that they never asked for a service appt for the foglamp. Finally they said they had an inexperienced staff member handling the call.

Finally I asked them the price of the foglamp (i know Ford reduced their spare part prices sometime back). They came up with the Rs.2900. I told them to check their price lists because I would do that when I come to do the job. Immediately they said the price was about Rs.2100/- (800 rupees cheaper).

The last experience I had was of a sound coming from the rear left passenger wheel . I asked the check it and they said it was good and all the other 3 sides (which didnt have any problems) WAS the problem - bushings and parts had to be changed on all 3 sides EXCEPT the problem side. Again, something very fishy.

Anyway I let it be - there is another small workshop who did some exhaust work on the Ikon sometime back - they are much more reliable and managed somehow to get the exhaust parts. But, its sad that the public is being taken for a ride by these kind of dealers.

I would like to however, thank Ford India for responding to my plight and doing whatever they could.
Old 26th September 2011, 14:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Kairali Ford - Bad Ford Service in Kottayam

I thought kairali ford was doing a better job.Anyway we had an issue with my uncle's ikon about 7 years ago and the problem was never rectified even afer multiple bills/visits.Glad ford is responding fast to complains but the experience will certainly result in people preferring other cars to a ford.

So your 78 year old mother drives?Am finding it difficult to convince my 50 year old mother that she can still learn driving.
Old 26th September 2011, 15:07   #3
BHPian

Re: Kairali Ford - Bad Ford Service in Kottayam

@revintup - wish she could drive ! She never learned to though. When I'm not there, she has a driver who comes in once a week to drive her. But even that's not happening nowadays as she's not too well. Anyway, the car is pretty much in the garage, unless I go there, which is for about a week every month. That's why also a 2001 car has only clocked about 28,000 km till date.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:27   #4
BHPian

"Remote" Control Service Experience at Kairali Ford, Kottayam, Kerala

I have a 2001 Ford Ikon Zxi originally used by me in Bangalore and then handed over to my elderly mother (and her driver) when I purchased a new set of wheels in Bangalore.

In Kottayam, the car has been serviced by Kairali Ford ever since it landed in Kottayam around 2004.

Since I dont reside in Kottayam except for the once in two months visit and due to my mother's health problems , I try to ensure the car is serviced whenever I am there during service intervals.

This time though the service was due in May, for various reasons, I could not do it till now (5th Sept). Since I was not there, my mother asked me to coordinate this from Bangalore (she is hard of hearing and cannot speak comfortably with anyone).

Booked the service with Kairali for a pickup on 5th Sept.

First issue: I called Kairali on 5th from Bangalore and they had not picked up the car till 12PM. I fail to see how they can reasonably service a car if they dont have time to do it.

The SA Mr. Anish mentioned that the driver assigned had gone to a town some 35 km away for some other job. Anyway at 12 the car was picked up. After the SA not picking up calls for some time, I finally got him and mentioned their was a slight misfiring issue with the engine. Also told him nothing else was wrong so do a regular service.

Second issue: The SA called me at 4PM and said looks like the ignition coil is failing - they supposedly tested it and asked me to approve a replacement (Rs.3000/-). I agreed.

No response after that.

I called him at 5PM and asked him the status - the SA said it was still misfiring so it could be the ECU . They may have to replace the ECU. Here I blew up and told him not to replace the ECU unless they thoroughly test it. Also I do not want an ECU replacement till a second opinion is got. (There is a local workshop nearby who did my exhaust repair sometime back - would check with them on the misfiring issue).

He then called me back in 10 mins and said that it is not the ECU and they dont know what the issue is. I said keep the car and dont give it back till you diagnose - also told him I want a breakup of all the costs and not to charge me for the ignition coil that apparently was not the cost.

Finally called me in about an hour (6:30PM) and told me supposedly a wire from the ignition coil was at fault (this is after they told me that they tested the ignition coil and found it faulty). Now they said that the Ign. Coil was not faulty and the wire was.

Since I was sitting in Bangalore, it was difficult to test the car - anyway he claimed it was fine.

Finally he returned the car the next day. Asked him "any other problems"? He said no except seems like the shocks or the suspension under the shocks needs to be changed. I told him forget it - I will look at it when I come.

The funny thing is this issue never came up in the two days the car was there and neither did I observe anything while I drove the car a week before while I was there.

Anyway the point of this post is that all of us must be careful when servicing our vehicles and oftentimes the service center is more out to make money than diagnosing issues and actually doing a reasonably good job on your vehicle.

Last edited by motorguy : 6th September 2012 at 12:31. Reason: minor typos
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks