Team-BHP - Modi Hyundai registered my car with wrong chassis number
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Dealerships (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-dealerships/)
-   -   Modi Hyundai registered my car with wrong chassis number (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-dealerships/108484-modi-hyundai-registered-my-car-wrong-chassis-number.html)

I bought my car from Modi Hyundai Goregaon (an i10 Sportz) in June 2010. Their delivery challan, as well as the details they gave me for getting my insurance (which I did via Insurance in India : Compare & buy Travel Insurance, Health Insurance, Overseas Medical, Car Insurance , Visitor Insurance, Life Insurance, Fire Insurance in India, for a much cheaper amount than the dealer's quote), all match what is etched on the car. But my RC - which is a smart card in Mumbai that you get a week to 10 days after taking delivery of the car - has two digits transposed. Sheer carelessness.

I noticed this a week or so back, when I compared the "pencil print" with what was on the RC prior to getting an NOC. I went to Modi, but all they would do is give me a printed copy of an unfilled form 26. Apart from that, they simply washed their hands off the matter saying that it has been more than a year since they sold the car. I find this utterly irresponsible. I now have to chase this up on my own.

Be careful - compare the VINs on your car, your RC and your insurance certificate/cover note before accepting anything from the dealer. My mistake in accepting what the dealer gave me without doing my own due diligence.

Just letting people know. I am not even commenting on the Andheri RTO's due diligence in this matter. :)

Posting after a long time. I work for the RTO and this is what needs to be done.
This is an error made by the RTO while entering the number. The RTO will have a copy of the pencil impression taken during the RTO PDI. They will have to re-inspect your car and make the correction. I don't see any major problem in this as it is not your fault. However if you try to blame the RTO staff they will say it was your duty to check and bring it to their notice immediately. Try speaking to a MVI rather than the clerks as they may not understand the problem and it will cause delays.
I don't think it's fair to blame the RTO for this. They are humans too and make errors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Richa gto (Post 2521247)
Posting after a long time. I work for the RTO and this is what needs to be done.
This is an error made by the RTO while entering the number. The RTO will have a copy of the pencil impression taken during the RTO PDI. They will have to re-inspect your car and make the correction. I don't see any major problem in this as it is not your fault. However if you try to blame the RTO staff they will say it was your duty to check and bring it to their notice immediately. Try speaking to a MVI rather than the clerks as they may not understand the problem and it will cause delays.
I don't think it's fair to blame the RTO for this. They are humans too and make errors.

Thanks for the procedure, looks fairly simple. Would there be any costs involved in the above process.

Although I had an altercation with the RTO officials during my Activa registration dues to worng vehicle type mentioned, there were officers who patiently listened to the issue and sorted it out faster than you thought. I do agree that not all RTO officials have the image which we percieve them to have.

Quote:

I don't see any major problem in this as it is not your fault. However if you try to blame the RTO staff they will say it was your duty to check and bring it to their notice immediately. Try speaking to a MVI rather than the clerks as they may not understand the problem and it will cause delays.

I am assigning blame in this order:

Max blame for Modi Hyundai for not will to help beyond "we will give you an RTO agent's number, deal with him".

Next, to me for not cross-checking in the first place.

And finally, to the RTO staff who did not cross-check either. The least amount, but a bit of blame nonetheless. :)

I had come across a similar case when I was looking for a used car two years ago. The car was clean but I dropped it only for this reason. The earlier owner had mentioned a similar procedure but I was not sure about it.

Quote:

... This is an error made by the RTO while entering the number. The RTO will have a copy of the pencil impression taken during the RTO PDI. They will have to re-inspect your car and make the correction.

Even I feel you should contact the RTO (through an agent, may be). Only they can change the records. Even though what Modi did is not fair, but I would expect this from any dealership.

@Ford Richa gto: Thanks for your inputs. Can you also give your suggestion here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-required.html

Quote:

This is an error made by the RTO while entering the number. The RTO will have a copy of the pencil impression taken during the RTO PDI. They will have to re-inspect your car and make the correction.

I am facing a similar problem. My name in the Road Tax challan is wrong. It is a new car so I have refused to take the road tax challan.

The dealer is mentiong that they cannot change my wrongly entered name (two extra alphabets) as RTO cannot do any corrections on the challan. Is that true?

How should I proceed?

Firstly sorry for the delay. I hardly get time to log on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2521456)
Would there be any costs involved in the above process.

It should be free of cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benzinblut (Post 2522161)
Even I feel you should contact the RTO (through an agent, may be). Only they can change the records. Even though what Modi did is not fair, but I would expect this from any dealership.

@Ford Richa gto: Thanks for your inputs. Can you also give your suggestion here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-required.html

Correct. Only RTO can change the records. Let me check on your bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatbs (Post 2557428)
I am facing a similar problem. My name in the Road Tax challan is wrong. It is a new car so I have refused to take the road tax challan.

The dealer is mentiong that they cannot change my wrongly entered name (two extra alphabets) as RTO cannot do any corrections on the challan. Is that true?

How should I proceed?

Firstly who wrongly entered the name? I assume it was the dealer. Anyway you will have to visit the RTO with them. There is nothing that cannot be corrected. In the worst case scenario you may have to produce an affidavit. In such cases avoid talking to clerks. Try talking to a MVI or AMVI (These are the guys in uniform).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2521456)
Thanks for the procedure, looks fairly simple. Would there be any costs involved in the above process.

Although I had an altercation with the RTO officials during my Activa registration dues to worng vehicle type mentioned, there were officers who patiently listened to the issue and sorted it out faster than you thought. I do agree that not all RTO officials have the image which we percieve them to have.

Hi Ghodlur,

I am facing the same issue for my TVS Wego I purchased last month. The Engine and Chassis number both have couple of letters missing and one digit is incorrect. I had noticed this on the day of delivery on the tax receipt and told the dealer that this is unacceptable. They assured that it will be correctly printed on smart card, if not they will look into it.

But I highly doubt that they will help me, as they have got all the money from me.

Please suggest me the correct way of getting this issue fixed. Many thanks in advance. please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by napster1311 (Post 3534929)
But I highly doubt that they will help me, as they have got all the money from me.

Suggest nto to jump to conclusions right away. The dealer by all means should get the correction done. If the smart RC is yet to be generated, then you still have a chance. The only irritation here would following up with the dealer regularly as I did for my Fiat Punto when the chassis no on the Smart card had one letter missing. I finally got it rectified through the dealer itself.

One thing for sure, if you attempt it on your own at RTO you will face a wall. But thats the last resort, hope the dealer does it for you.

A colleague got his scooter from TN to Kanpur and a wrong number was entered after 30 years went back. It is at the time of the NOC from Kanpur for the transfer back that the discrepancy in the engine or chassis number was noticed. Re-registration had also gone through smoothly. They referred back to the rubbing and made the correction in the records. I do not know how much 'grease' was paid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 3535123)
Suggest nto to jump to conclusions right away. The dealer by all means should get the correction done. If the smart RC is yet to be generated, then you still have a chance. The only irritation here would following up with the dealer regularly as I did for my Fiat Punto when the chassis no on the Smart card had one letter missing. I finally got it rectified through the dealer itself.

One thing for sure, if you attempt it on your own at RTO you will face a wall. But thats the last resort, hope the dealer does it for you.

Thanks ghodlur for your quick reply. I talk to the dealer Sales guy on phone, he asked me to give him the Insurance Copy and Smart Card. And told me that they will get "FOB" and get the smart card corrected. Any idea what FOB is?

Actually I had asked them to get this correct before the Smart Card is created, but their attitude and lame responses made me suspicious. That's why I am skeptical if they will really help.

I will update the progress soon. Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3535137)
A colleague got his scooter from TN to Kanpur and a wrong number was entered after 30 years went back. It is at the time of the NOC from Kanpur for the transfer back that the discrepancy in the engine or chassis number was noticed. Re-registration had also gone through smoothly. They referred back to the rubbing and made the correction in the records. I do not know how much 'grease' was paid.

Thanks sgiitk Sir. The experience you qouted is very reassuring. I hope everything get corrected smoothly in my case too.

Speaking of Modi Hyundai, I had a pleasant sales experience with them. On the D-Day, things went smoothly and I drove back home in my new car.

Things went fine till I got an SMS from the Tardeo RTO with my registration number. I was pretty certain that the numbers in the SMS and those on my registration plates did not match. Being a new car though, I wasn't sure, hence, went down and checked and I was like...:Shockked: I had been driving in and around Mumbai with wrong registration numbers. My plates read '9136' whereas they were supposed to read '9188'.

Immediately, I called the sales advisor and even before I could complete my sentence, the bloke apologised and promised to send someone and get the error fixed at the earliest. Within 2 hours a person came, scraped the '36' and re-pasted '88' and with that the issue was peeled off.

While it may have been a trivial issue, it could have resulted in some serious consequences had it not been for the RTO SMS which brought it to my attention.